Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why is Azzaro PH a hit in Europe?

Judging from the current trend, my impression is that Europe (along with Asia) is ahead of America in terms of style and fashion: Europeans wear more edgy, more trendy clothes, whereas Americans wear more casual stuff. It also seems to me the current trend has taken masculinity away from many European guys; instead they're now wearing tight jeans and colorful scarfs while American guys are still wearing a t-shirt and classic Levi's jeans.

So it is somewhat baffling to me why a uber-masculine scent like Azzaro PH is a mega hit in Europe and not in America? According to the best fragrance sellers list, it's a top 10 in Europe but not in America, but based on the current trend of fashion it should be more popular in America and not popular in Europe where the fashion for men is less masculine. It seems to me the unisex-ish frags (like Gaultier's creations) should be the hits in Europe--and some of them are, but then there's Azzaro PH.

What do you think?
    Last edited by karisuma; 9th March 2009 at 06:34 PM.

Default Re: Why is Azzaro PH a hit in Europe?

Where'd you get that info? Here in Belgium (Europe) Azzaro PH isn't a huge hit

Quote Originally Posted by Jokke View Post
    According to the best sellers list, which has sales data up to 2003, Azzaro PH is one of the top 10 cash cows in Europe in 2003. My impression is it's always been popular in Europe.

Nah, not really popular here either - in fact I have seldom ever seen it on Scandinavian shelves.
    2003 is a good 5 or 6 years ago now... if it were popular then, I wouldnt say its a hit now.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

While this is interesting, I think results from 2009 are likely somewhat different than 2003.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Nah, not really popular here either - in fact I have seldom ever seen it on Scandinavian shelves.
    2003 is a good 5 or 6 years ago now... if it were popular then, I wouldnt say its a hit now.
    It's possible its popularity may have declined since then. However, I think in terms of fashion trend in 2003, the same case is that Europe was more stylish than America, and why Azzaro PH can be popular in such a fashion state, is what puzzles me.

Put it another way: why was Azzaro PH ever a bigger hit in Europe than America, when (I think; correct me if I'm wrong) American men have always been perceived as more masculine.
    Last edited by karisuma; 9th March 2009 at 07:03 PM.

It never occurred to me that Azzaro Homme would be perceived as ber-masculine. It is way too refined for that. It has just been very popular for one generation at least. In central Europe, and for men of 30 or more French and Italian perfumes have been most influential. We tend to be less impressed by latest trends and are conservative as to the price one should pay for a good perfume.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

It is interesting that Azzaro Pour Homme is popular in Europe where as Azzaro Chrome is popular in the USA -

Personally, I don't know a single person that owns or wears Azzarro PH. I don't think it's very popular in The Netherlands. I also believe that while some Europeans may be more fashion forward than Americans, the vast majority of Europeans dresses casually. Lastly, last year's trend of men dressing more androgynically (is that a word? ) was not present in 2003.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Azzaro Pour Homme is not popular here in Norway. We can`t even get it here! There must be many years since i saw a bottle in the parfumery-store..
    But i agreed with you on that Fashion thing.. Most people here think Americans have bad taste when it comes to clothing..

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Why was it ever popular anywhere? Man, I don't like that muddled mess of sharp, musty notes.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

i dont know if azzaro ph is so popular in poland here boss bottled, ck one and joop! homme are very popular
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzw

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    Why was it ever popular anywhere? Man, I don't like that muddled mess of sharp, musty notes.
    ditto

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    It never occurred to me that Azzaro Homme would be perceived as ber-masculine. It is way too refined for that.
    To me, as one reviewer puts it: "it is an absolute punch-in-the-face of rugged manliness. Not having read any of its ingredients I could easily believe that the scent was captured off of a rugged lumberjack having just killed a wolverine for a winter dinner."

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    Judging from the current trend, my impression is that Europe (along with Asia) is ahead of America in terms of style and fashion: Europeans wear more edgy, more trendy clothes, whereas Americans wear more casual stuff. It also seems to me the current trend has taken masculinity away from many European guys; instead they're now wearing tight jeans and colorful scarfs while American guys are still wearing a t-shirt and classic Levi's jeans.

So it is somewhat baffling to me why a uber-masculine scent like Azzaro PH is a mega hit in Europe and not in America? According to the best fragrance sellers list, it's a top 10 in Europe but not in America, but based on the current trend of fashion it should be more popular in America and not popular in Europe where the fashion for men is less masculine. It seems to me the unisex-ish frags (like Gaultier's creations) should be the hits in Europe--and some of them are, but then there's Azzaro PH.

What do you think?
    I know this is just a casual post but as a friend, I would suggest that it might be better to avoid sweeping generalizations and other logical fallacies. Personally, I live in Canada and I know plenty of men in their early twenties who wear tight jeans and scarves.

I do not see the link between current fashion trends and whether it affects masculinity. I think a much better conclusion would discuss how Azzaro PH is more mature rather than more masculine, and how men in general prefer older-smelling scents in Europe.

I think it has more to do with marketing than with anything else. Sure, a scent must smell at least passable/good, but marketing is what drives 99.99% of the people to purchase a scent. Don't think of yourselves, think of Joe Sixpack in Sephora.

Having said that, Sean John Unforgivable is a huge hit in America, but I haven't met anyone here in The Netherlands who has this as his signature scent.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Th Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Karisuma,
    I've seen plenty of Azzaro Pour Homme fly off the shelves around here in my little part of Southern California -although I couldn't tell you who is buying it up.
    From my own experience around here, the general public will wear whatever is most heavily marketed to them. Their perception of what is "manly" or "sissy" in a new fragrance may just depend on what is shown to them on a billboard. As for pre-90's fragrances, the majority of them will just be passed off as "old" and tossed aside; even considered laughable.

But really, concerning the premise of your question: the US is a big continent with several microcosms within, as is the EU, so it's quite an over-generalization to imply that the majority of manly (or "casually dressed") men reside in one continent more than the other -especially when based only on your impression.
    I've seen plenty of guys in Europe walking around in capris and pink shirts which made me snicker, but it was no big deal. Just six blocks away from my home here in the States the sidewalks are littered with emo-boys wearing TIGHT jeans and Liza Minelli hairdos

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post

I've seen plenty of guys in Europe walking around in capris and pink shirts which made me snicker
    Hey, I love my pink shirt!
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Th Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Hey, I love my pink shirt!
    Awesome!
    I prefer that over the Liza Minelli hairdos the kids are sporting around here!

Thumbs up Re: Why is Azzaro PH a hit in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    I know this is just a casual post but as a friend, I would suggest that it might be better to avoid sweeping generalizations and other logical fallacies. Personally, I live in Canada and I know plenty of men in their early twenties who wear tight jeans and scarves.
    Well said !

I just figured it was a well-known, well-established cheapie (analogous to Old Spice, Brut, or Canoe in the states) That said, the 'hitness' of it is probably overstated.

On the other hand, what fame it does have is probably well-earned because it actually is really good...if you like aromatic fougeres.

I find it to be delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokke View Post

Hm,, I have my doubts...I think it is still popular, but for older men, say 40+ .. In the stores (Paris XL ..) they have always a lot of products from Azzaro, as they also have for JPG, Adg, and so on, so that means that it is still somekind of a hit...

And, it is still a compliment getter ;-)

when I worked in Sephora, Chestnut Hill in MA, Azzaro PH sold quite well. Granted that the majority of men purchasing it, or women for husbands, were mature and sophisticated; not exactly the teen, twenty, or thirty-something clients though. It was considered a classic mens scent that exudes "good-taste", and polish. Armani, Dior, and Chanel did better with the younger crowd. But every now and again someone would ask about something classic and I would show it to them, and they would be floored by it. I just think it is the lack of publicity Azzaro scents, mens and womens, have over in the states; whereas many people in other parts of the world know of the designer. I never thought of ApH as an ultra-masculine scent, very complex and sophisticated, unequivocally posh and polished, not to mention "unique", but never an in-your-face masculine.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Well at least the OP made sweeping generalizations towards American men as well, and they were such that I feel pity for that dull jeans n tshirt style Actually "being ahead" doesn't sound so bad... but tight jeans and that whole 80s punky thing is not my cup, I prefer the 70s.

As for that list, I wonder what the data source is. Charts like that are often enough made-up marketing tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I never thought of ApH as an ultra-masculine scent, very complex and sophisticated, unequivocally posh and polished, not to mention "unique", but never an in-your-face masculine.
    Couldn't agree more. Pour Homme is an elegant fragrance... maybe that accounts for its European popularity. Never struck me as uberbutch or agressive. Or maybe there's a resurgence in the classics among the youngsters there.

Quote Originally Posted by frug View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Pour Homme is an elegant fragrance... maybe that accounts for its European popularity. Never struck me as uberbutch or agressive. Or maybe there's a resurgence in the classics among the youngsters there.
    Certainly not. I seriously question this thread's premise.

I would suggest that it might be better to avoid sweeping generalizations and other logical fallacies.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    ... It also seems to me the current trend has taken masculinity away from many European guys; instead they're now wearing tight jeans and colorful scarfs while American guys are still wearing a t-shirt and classic Levi's jeans...
    You obviously haven't been introduced to any stevedores from Marseilles or attended any Manchester United football (soccer) games.

Masculinity was alive and well in Europe the last time I looked; it's just not the style that Americans are accustomed to. And I'm glad for that.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

It's just my observation. I do apologize if others see it differently.

I also did not include Canada in my comparison; it was just between America and Europe.

I do think that Europe is more embracing of new fashion (Men's). It was evident when I was in Paris (vs, say, NYC). Also in terms of masculinity, I do think Europe is more liberal and accepting of guys who are not traditionally masculine. For example here in America gay rights seems to be losing grounds with California recently reversing their short-lived decision to support gay marriage. I would say Europe is ahead of America in terms of social progressiveness including the idea of "non-traditional masculinity."

That said, I do find Azzaro PH very raw and masculine. Others may find it elegant or whatever, but the first thing I think of when I smell it is "wow, what a man."

I do not see the link between current fashion trends and whether it affects masculinity. I think a much better conclusion would discuss how Azzaro PH is more mature rather than more masculine, and how men in general prefer older-smelling scents in Europe.
    OK, let's discuss that.

It seems a bit puzzling to me why Europeans seem to be on the edge of new fashion, and yet they, as you say, in general prefer older-smelling scents. Why do you think that is?
    Last edited by karisuma; 9th March 2009 at 11:55 PM.

I hope you're not basing your entire argument on that one table you linked. It's not even sourced! Most popular according to who? An online retailer?

But let's go with the table anyway, for argument's sake. Here are the stats:

Europe:
    Hugo (1995)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Le Male (1995)
    Boss Hugo Boss (?)
    Davidoff (1984)
    Eau Sauvage (1966)
    Boss in Motion (2002)
    Allure Homme (1999)
    Eternity (1989)
    Azzaro (1978)

U.S.
    Acqua di Gio (1996)
    Romance Ralph Lauren (1999)
    Polo (1978)
    Eternity (1989)
    Davidoff (1984)
    Curve (1996)
    Polo Blue (2002)
    Drakkar Noir (1982)
    Polo Sport (1993)
    Obsessioin (1986)

Let's throw out Eau Sauvage because, well, Europeans have good taste and shouldn't be penalized for it. Frankly, I don't see much difference in release dates between the two.

Average release date for Europe: 1991.25.
    Average release date for U.S.: 1990.5.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 10th March 2009 at 12:22 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan