Code of Conduct

Default Why is Azzaro PH a hit in Europe?

Judging from the current trend, my impression is that Europe (along with Asia) is ahead of America in terms of style and fashion: Europeans wear more edgy, more trendy clothes, whereas Americans wear more casual stuff. It also seems to me the current trend has taken masculinity away from many European guys; instead they're now wearing tight jeans and colorful scarfs while American guys are still wearing a t-shirt and classic Levi's jeans.

So it is somewhat baffling to me why a uber-masculine scent like Azzaro PH is a mega hit in Europe and not in America? According to the best fragrance sellers list, it's a top 10 in Europe but not in America, but based on the current trend of fashion it should be more popular in America and not popular in Europe where the fashion for men is less masculine. It seems to me the unisex-ish frags (like Gaultier's creations) should be the hits in Europe--and some of them are, but then there's Azzaro PH.

What do you think?
    Last edited by karisuma; 9th March 2009 at 06:34 PM.

Default Re: Why is Azzaro PH a hit in Europe?

Where'd you get that info? Here in Belgium (Europe) Azzaro PH isn't a huge hit

Quote Originally Posted by Jokke View Post
    According to the best sellers list, which has sales data up to 2003, Azzaro PH is one of the top 10 cash cows in Europe in 2003. My impression is it's always been popular in Europe.

Nah, not really popular here either - in fact I have seldom ever seen it on Scandinavian shelves.
    2003 is a good 5 or 6 years ago now... if it were popular then, I wouldnt say its a hit now.

While this is interesting, I think results from 2009 are likely somewhat different than 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Nah, not really popular here either - in fact I have seldom ever seen it on Scandinavian shelves.
    2003 is a good 5 or 6 years ago now... if it were popular then, I wouldnt say its a hit now.
    It's possible its popularity may have declined since then. However, I think in terms of fashion trend in 2003, the same case is that Europe was more stylish than America, and why Azzaro PH can be popular in such a fashion state, is what puzzles me.

Put it another way: why was Azzaro PH ever a bigger hit in Europe than America, when (I think; correct me if I'm wrong) American men have always been perceived as more masculine.
    Last edited by karisuma; 9th March 2009 at 07:03 PM.

It never occurred to me that Azzaro Homme would be perceived as über-masculine. It is way too refined for that. It has just been very popular for one generation at least. In central Europe, and for men of 30 or more French and Italian perfumes have been most influential. We tend to be less impressed by latest trends and are conservative as to the price one should pay for a good perfume.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

It is interesting that Azzaro Pour Homme is popular in Europe where as Azzaro Chrome is popular in the USA -

Personally, I don't know a single person that owns or wears Azzarro PH. I don't think it's very popular in The Netherlands. I also believe that while some Europeans may be more fashion forward than Americans, the vast majority of Europeans dresses casually. Lastly, last year's trend of men dressing more androgynically (is that a word? ) was not present in 2003.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Azzaro Pour Homme is not popular here in Norway. We can`t even get it here! There must be many years since i saw a bottle in the parfumery-store..
    But i agreed with you on that Fashion thing.. Most people here think Americans have bad taste when it comes to clothing..

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Why was it ever popular anywhere? Man, I don't like that muddled mess of sharp, musty notes.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

i dont know if azzaro ph is so popular in poland here boss bottled, ck one and joop! homme are very popular
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    Why was it ever popular anywhere? Man, I don't like that muddled mess of sharp, musty notes.
    ditto

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    It never occurred to me that Azzaro Homme would be perceived as über-masculine. It is way too refined for that.
    To me, as one reviewer puts it: "it is an absolute punch-in-the-face of rugged manliness. Not having read any of its ingredients I could easily believe that the scent was captured off of a rugged lumberjack having just killed a wolverine for a winter dinner."

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    Judging from the current trend, my impression is that Europe (along with Asia) is ahead of America in terms of style and fashion: Europeans wear more edgy, more trendy clothes, whereas Americans wear more casual stuff. It also seems to me the current trend has taken masculinity away from many European guys; instead they're now wearing tight jeans and colorful scarfs while American guys are still wearing a t-shirt and classic Levi's jeans.

So it is somewhat baffling to me why a uber-masculine scent like Azzaro PH is a mega hit in Europe and not in America? According to the best fragrance sellers list, it's a top 10 in Europe but not in America, but based on the current trend of fashion it should be more popular in America and not popular in Europe where the fashion for men is less masculine. It seems to me the unisex-ish frags (like Gaultier's creations) should be the hits in Europe--and some of them are, but then there's Azzaro PH.

What do you think?
    I know this is just a casual post but as a friend, I would suggest that it might be better to avoid sweeping generalizations and other logical fallacies. Personally, I live in Canada and I know plenty of men in their early twenties who wear tight jeans and scarves.

I do not see the link between current fashion trends and whether it affects masculinity. I think a much better conclusion would discuss how Azzaro PH is more mature rather than more masculine, and how men in general prefer older-smelling scents in Europe.

I think it has more to do with marketing than with anything else. Sure, a scent must smell at least passable/good, but marketing is what drives 99.99% of the people to purchase a scent. Don't think of yourselves, think of Joe Sixpack in Sephora.

Having said that, Sean John Unforgivable is a huge hit in America, but I haven't met anyone here in The Netherlands who has this as his signature scent.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Karisuma,
    I've seen plenty of Azzaro Pour Homme fly off the shelves around here in my little part of Southern California -although I couldn't tell you who is buying it up.
    From my own experience around here, the general public will wear whatever is most heavily marketed to them. Their perception of what is "manly" or "sissy" in a new fragrance may just depend on what is shown to them on a billboard. As for pre-90's fragrances, the majority of them will just be passed off as "old" and tossed aside; even considered laughable.

But really, concerning the premise of your question: the US is a big continent with several microcosms within, as is the EU, so it's quite an over-generalization to imply that the majority of manly (or "casually dressed") men reside in one continent more than the other -especially when based only on your impression.
    I've seen plenty of guys in Europe walking around in capris and pink shirts which made me snicker, but it was no big deal. Just six blocks away from my home here in the States the sidewalks are littered with emo-boys wearing TIGHT jeans and Liza Minelli hairdos

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post

I've seen plenty of guys in Europe walking around in capris and pink shirts which made me snicker
    Hey, I love my pink shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Hey, I love my pink shirt!
    Awesome!
    I prefer that over the Liza Minelli hairdos the kids are sporting around here!

Thumbs up Re: Why is Azzaro PH a hit in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    I know this is just a casual post but as a friend, I would suggest that it might be better to avoid sweeping generalizations and other logical fallacies. Personally, I live in Canada and I know plenty of men in their early twenties who wear tight jeans and scarves.
    Well said !

I just figured it was a well-known, well-established cheapie (analogous to Old Spice, Brut, or Canoe in the states) That said, the 'hitness' of it is probably overstated.

On the other hand, what fame it does have is probably well-earned because it actually is really good...if you like aromatic fougeres.

I find it to be delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokke View Post

Hm,, I have my doubts...I think it is still popular, but for older men, say 40+ .. In the stores (Paris XL ..) they have always a lot of products from Azzaro, as they also have for JPG, Adg, and so on, so that means that it is still somekind of a hit...

And, it is still a compliment getter ;-)

when I worked in Sephora, Chestnut Hill in MA, Azzaro PH sold quite well. Granted that the majority of men purchasing it, or women for husbands, were mature and sophisticated; not exactly the teen, twenty, or thirty-something clients though. It was considered a classic mens scent that exudes "good-taste", and polish. Armani, Dior, and Chanel did better with the younger crowd. But every now and again someone would ask about something classic and I would show it to them, and they would be floored by it. I just think it is the lack of publicity Azzaro scents, mens and womens, have over in the states; whereas many people in other parts of the world know of the designer. I never thought of ApH as an ultra-masculine scent, very complex and sophisticated, unequivocally posh and polished, not to mention "unique", but never an in-your-face masculine.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Well at least the OP made sweeping generalizations towards American men as well, and they were such that I feel pity for that dull jeans n tshirt style Actually "being ahead" doesn't sound so bad... but tight jeans and that whole 80s punky thing is not my cup, I prefer the 70s.

As for that list, I wonder what the data source is. Charts like that are often enough made-up marketing tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I never thought of ApH as an ultra-masculine scent, very complex and sophisticated, unequivocally posh and polished, not to mention "unique", but never an in-your-face masculine.
    Couldn't agree more. Pour Homme is an elegant fragrance... maybe that accounts for its European popularity. Never struck me as uberbutch or agressive. Or maybe there's a resurgence in the classics among the youngsters there.

Quote Originally Posted by frug View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Pour Homme is an elegant fragrance... maybe that accounts for its European popularity. Never struck me as uberbutch or agressive. Or maybe there's a resurgence in the classics among the youngsters there.
    Certainly not. I seriously question this thread's premise.

I would suggest that it might be better to avoid sweeping generalizations and other logical fallacies.
    Ditto

... It also seems to me the current trend has taken masculinity away from many European guys; instead they're now wearing tight jeans and colorful scarfs while American guys are still wearing a t-shirt and classic Levi's jeans...
    You obviously haven't been introduced to any stevedores from Marseilles or attended any Manchester United football (soccer) games.

Masculinity was alive and well in Europe the last time I looked; it's just not the style that Americans are accustomed to. And I'm glad for that.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

It's just my observation. I do apologize if others see it differently.

I also did not include Canada in my comparison; it was just between America and Europe.

I do think that Europe is more embracing of new fashion (Men's). It was evident when I was in Paris (vs, say, NYC). Also in terms of masculinity, I do think Europe is more liberal and accepting of guys who are not traditionally masculine. For example here in America gay rights seems to be losing grounds with California recently reversing their short-lived decision to support gay marriage. I would say Europe is ahead of America in terms of social progressiveness including the idea of "non-traditional masculinity."

That said, I do find Azzaro PH very raw and masculine. Others may find it elegant or whatever, but the first thing I think of when I smell it is "wow, what a man."

I do not see the link between current fashion trends and whether it affects masculinity. I think a much better conclusion would discuss how Azzaro PH is more mature rather than more masculine, and how men in general prefer older-smelling scents in Europe.
    OK, let's discuss that.

It seems a bit puzzling to me why Europeans seem to be on the edge of new fashion, and yet they, as you say, in general prefer older-smelling scents. Why do you think that is?
    Last edited by karisuma; 9th March 2009 at 11:55 PM.

I hope you're not basing your entire argument on that one table you linked. It's not even sourced! Most popular according to who? An online retailer?

But let's go with the table anyway, for argument's sake. Here are the stats:

Europe:
    Hugo (1995)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Le Male (1995)
    Boss Hugo Boss (?)
    Davidoff (1984)
    Eau Sauvage (1966)
    Boss in Motion (2002)
    Allure Homme (1999)
    Eternity (1989)
    Azzaro (1978)

U.S.
    Acqua di Gio (1996)
    Romance Ralph Lauren (1999)
    Polo (1978)
    Eternity (1989)
    Davidoff (1984)
    Curve (1996)
    Polo Blue (2002)
    Drakkar Noir (1982)
    Polo Sport (1993)
    Obsessioin (1986)

Let's throw out Eau Sauvage because, well, Europeans have good taste and shouldn't be penalized for it. Frankly, I don't see much difference in release dates between the two.

Average release date for Europe: 1991.25.
    Average release date for U.S.: 1990.5.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 10th March 2009 at 12:22 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I think Azzaro PH was a big hit in the U.S. back in the 1980's. It was introduced in 1978, but Department stores featured it in the 1980's. It just went out of style here. It has made a comeback recently but mostly being sold off the discount shelves in TJ Maxx or through other mainstream lower level stores such as Target etc.

Weren't the advertising images marketed with Azzaro always showing the European ideal of masculinity more than the US ideal of masculinity? If you look at all the images associated with the fragrance they were always dark haired, open shirted macho men that looked European (Spanish or Italian) in style. Azzaro is essentially a European fragrance that also sells in the U.S. I think.

I don't think it has anything to do with Europe being ahead of the U.S. in trends or anything like that. Azzaro has always had a mediterranean feel to it - to me.

Blog Entries

If its a hit in Europe, then Europeans got taste! :-)
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    I think it has more to do with marketing than with anything else. Sure, a scent must smell at least passable/good, but marketing is what drives 99.99% of the people to purchase a scent. Don't think of yourselves, think of Joe Sixpack in Sephora.
    Joe Sixpack buys his fragrance at wal-mart.

Actually, his wife probably buys it at wal-mart.

And she buys these:
    Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Old Spice, Brut,

The Jonas brothers are on Kimmel Live... all three are wearing tight jeans and two are wearing long scarves.

I could be wrong, but I think Azzaro PH was an immediate hit when it came out in 1978. I think that men who were teenagers, or in their early 20's back then just kept re-buying it when their bottles ran out. Over time it developed a loyal following to the point where these men, now in their 40's & 50's still enjoy the product to this day. I doubt that it is a "top seller" anymore, but I'm willing to bet that it still sells quite well and won't be discontinued anytime soon...

It's hard to believe, but AdG is already 12 years old. I don't think it's so far fetched that in 20 years men will still be buying this in droves....

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    It never occurred to me that Azzaro Homme would be perceived as über-masculine. It is way too refined for that.

Ditto.
    I bought a cheap bottle of it recently, and put it back in its box. It's a bit lacking in presence for my taste.
    Renato

It seems a bit puzzling to me why Europeans seem to be on the edge of new fashion, and yet they, as you say, in general prefer older-smelling scents. Why do you think that is?
    Nostalgia perhaps?

Personally, if it smells good, it's timeless so whether it was made in 1980 or 2009, if it smells right, it always will.

And as for Brut, it's still up there as one of the biggest sellers in Europe, and you don't get more "masculine" than that!

I'd be pulling out my hair over this thread if it weren't that funny Some posts read like "the Europeans" are some strange sort of Martians coming from Neptune.

If we agree that the fashion at least in Europe right now involves a good dose of 80s (vibrant colors, tight jeans, converse shoes etc), then it would be only consequential to wear a corresponding fragrance. The only problem is that whenever I smell someones fragrance it's current fresh'n'fruity dreck. So no, Azzaro isn't the big hit.

/closed.
    Last edited by fakepurseninja; 10th March 2009 at 09:02 PM.

Talking Re: Why is Azzaro PH a hit in Europe?

I would bet that the numbers do not reflect purchases made at Marshalls...
    I picked one up last month for 14.99.
    Last edited by scentaddiction; 10th March 2009 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I hope you're not basing your entire argument on that one table you linked. It's not even sourced! Most popular according to who? An online retailer?

But let's go with the table anyway, for argument's sake. Here are the stats:

Let's throw out Eau Sauvage because, well, Europeans have good taste and shouldn't be penalized for it. Frankly, I don't see much difference in release dates between the two.

Average release date for Europe: 1991.25.
    Average release date for U.S.: 1990.5.
    Good point. I remember reading in Chandler Burr's recent book where he was discusing the top 20 liss for the US and France ( i'm pretty sure it is France, and not Europe...I could be wrong). Aside from Sauvage, I think the two lists are pretty much just as "bad".

But I do think Azzaro PH was # 1 ( in France) and this was from 2003. This is 6 years now, but I would want to believe Azzaro PH is still in top 20 at least.

I really wish someone could get us the whole "List". As in, the top 200 sellers for each year in masculines.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    I hope you're not basing your entire argument on that one table you linked. It's not even sourced! Most popular according to who? An online retailer
    I assumed it was common knowledge that Azzaro PH is, and I quote verbatim from the notes on its Basenotes.net page: "one of Europe's biggest sellers." But I guess it wasn't that common of a knowledge.
    Last edited by karisuma; 11th March 2009 at 12:07 AM.

I assumed it was common knowledge that Azzaro PH is, and I quote verbatim from the notes on its Basenotes.net page: "one of Europe's biggest sellers." But I guess it wasn't that common of a knowledge.
    The basenotes directory is not infallible. In fact, it is highly possible that your quote is based on that very same link you gave in your second post, as those besteseller lists are ominously rare (if we leave obvious machinations such as the douglas top ten out of the game).

Given Azzaro phs ubiquity I have no doubt that it is a _relatively_ popular scent, but that doesn't make it "a hit in europe".

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja View Post
    The basenotes directory is not infallible. In fact, it is highly possible that your quote is based on that very same link you gave in your second post, as those besteseller lists are ominously rare (if we leave obvious machinations such as the douglas top ten out of the game).
    If we can't trust the Basenotes directory or a list from a website, then how do we know that AdG or Cool Water or Fahrenheit are best sellers? Do we know anything is actually a best seller or did people just assume they are?

By the way, just because one sees a few people (out of ~ 6 billion total people) wearing a perfume doesn't make it a best seller either.
    Last edited by karisuma; 11th March 2009 at 11:37 AM.

I understand it's nice but I can't get my head around it's popularity.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

I have no doubts that the quoted statement has been correct at a certain time in the past. Azzaro pour Homme seemed to have always existed, but I originally ignored it when I owned no more than three perfumes at a time. It's only been after 2003 when I became more of a freak that I discovered the beauty of Azzaro pour Homme (and many more perfumes all within less than a year). By that time it smelled like a classic to me. By then I had also learned not to pay too much attention to a perfume's opening blast which is fairly strong here. How a perfume smells after the first 15 to 30 minutes is really all that matters to me.

According to older records ApH was a hit in France in 2003, and nowadays it is still popular enough for people to know its name. Ellena fan boy and fragrance journalist Chandler Burr is known for not thinking much of masculine perfumes in general. He wrote about the Brand Azzaro extensively. For Chrome he created the additional fragrance class of “zero stars”, named “Do not inhale”, and he wrote about it in a NYT article Men smelling badly’ (November 2007).
    In The Perfect Scent/Henry Holt/2008 pp147/48 he wrote: <quote:>American men had, overall, bad taste . Interestingly, French men had even worse taste. The 2003 French masculines list looked like this:

• 1 Le Male
    • 2 Eau Sauvage
    • 3 Azzaro Pour Homme
    • 4 Allure Homme
    • 5 Fahrenheit
    • 6 Chrome
    • 7 Boss, Hugo Boss
    • 8 Habit Rouge
    • 9 Hugo
    • 10 A*Men
    • 11 1881
    • 12 Acqua di Gio Homme
    • 13 Biotherm Man
    • 14 XS
    • 15 Egoiste
    • 16 Kenzo Homme
    • 17 Boss in Motion
    • 18 Kouros
    • 19 L’Eau d’Issey Homme
    • 20 Higher …. <end quote>

He also quoted Ellena, hopefully correctly, calling Azzaro pH (and Paco Rabanne pH) the epitomes of the 70s era: << …heavy on rosemary, lavender, thyme, the smell of the Mediterranean, but done in such a way that made the seventies really ‘parfums de camioneurs’, truck driver scents. …Brut de Fabergé. Men dare perfume themselves! Virile, not Elitist!...>> (p 251) And boy, does Burr himself demonstrate condescension using some newly acquired knowledge in a scene with ‘the small Arab guy’ who checks bags at Orly airport (pp. 96-97)! Would I need to mention what the 'small guy' was wearing ?

It’s always a matter of application, too, and people who started using perfume when the spray system was less common still know how to apply perfume in small doses. Maybe newer style aquas and watered down originals are also responsible for carefree application of perfumes nowadays.
    Last edited by narcus; 11th March 2009 at 01:27 PM.

Azzaro was a best seller in Brazil in the 80s and 90s and nowadays it's still a big seller, but as said before, it's also considered as a classic, an old man fragrance.
    I still own a bottle and when I wear it, I remember of my early days when I was young and wanted to be seen as a grown up man...

I don't know Europe nor USA but here in Brazil Azzaro is THE top seller for sure.

In Latin America's Southern Cone (Chile, Argentina and Uruguay) Azzaro pH was a big hit during the early eighties. So, wearing it is some sort of statement on long times gone by, justlike Paco Rabanne and Kouros.

The Douglas top 10 in Germany:
    http://www.douglas.de/douglas/index_c0104.html

Let me just point out that it is totally pointless to talk about "Europe" as if it were a cultural entity, despite certain commmon (global!) cultural trends. Perhaps you are referring to a certain international metropolitan style (which has its national/continental varieties).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Smile Re: Why is Azzaro PH a hit in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post

Let me just point out that it is totally pointless to talk about "Europe" as if it were a cultural entity, despite certain commmon (global!) cultural trends. Perhaps you are referring to a certain international metropolitan style (which has its national/continental varieties).
    I *really* suspect those top 10s are not entirely based on sale figures alone. Note that they never said that those top 10s *are* based on ssale figures.

Methinks they are also used for marketing purposes, to push certain fragrances, by giving it a place in the top 10.

Let's face it, most newbees or people who are not into scents are totally clueless when walking into a store, and such top 10s are really helpful to guide (and steer!) them.

...Let me just point out that it is totally pointless to talk about "Europe" as if it were a cultural entity,
    That is why remarks like "I have been to Europe" inspires me questions like "where to, Tirana? Or Kosovo?

Talking about Europe is like refering to any African country as "Africa" and any Latin American country as "Latin America" - everything down there should be like Mexico or Brazil, but no, it is not like thay: take Surinam. It is in Latin America, and it is full of blacks, indians from India and Chinese, while in Argentina there are plenty of Spaniards and Italians, as well as the second biggest jewish community outside Israel, while in Chile there are many Germans and English, and in Bolivia there are plenty of amerindians. What about Europe? There is England and France: and as a matter of fact, shouldn't all of the countries in continental Europe be like France, while the ones in Central Europe just like Germany and the ones in the east like Russia?

So far for stereotypes. Yes, indeed, they make perceptions simpler, but no, they do not reflect reality at all. So I guess we should be aware that generalizations are a "no fly".
    Last edited by Pollux; 11th March 2009 at 04:00 PM.

If we can't trust the Basenotes directory or a list from a website, then how do we know that AdG or Cool Water or Fahrenheit are best sellers? Do we know anything is actually a best seller or did people just assume they are?

By the way, just because one sees a few people (out of ~ 6 billion total people) wearing a perfume doesn't make it a best seller either.
    Exactly, as long as there is no proof in the form of , say, LVMHs sales records, everything is based on assumptions. Heaps of people on this board complaining about smelling AdG everywhere leads one to the assumption that AdG is (still) a big hit. But it will remain an assumption until Giorgio gives us sales figures. Some top ten or another is - in my view - a less reliable source, because it has a higher probability to be fabricated, and thus leads to assuming the wrong things. Even more so if the source is outdated.

Average consumer like popular stuff, and popularity lists reduce the awful complexity of this still oh-so-effeminate leisure activity. That's why they are powerful marketing tools, which in turn means that they are biased. Not that BN isn't biased too.....

That's an interesting list. Do they have a list for all their European stores?

Fascinating that Joop Hoome sells for 64 Euro for a big bottle - the same bottle is found all over the place for between A$40 to A$49 (20 to 25 Euros) down here, sometimes including a big bottle of aftershave splash as well.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 11th March 2009 at 04:56 PM.

more on statistiscs:

<<Did you know that the Top 10 best-selling perfumes in France are all French? And the top-selling fragrance in America, Estée Lauder’s Beautiful, is practically unknown in Europe. It’s true that tastes on the two shores of the Atlantic are quite different: American women appreciate floral accords, where French, Italian and German women have less-floral tastes, and much greater interest in orientals. As a rule, the Top 10 doesn’t change much from one year to the next (Chanel N° 5 dates back to 1921, Beautiful to 1985, Shalimar to 1925 and Eau Sauvage to 1966) and new launches don’t have an easy time breaking in.
    But we have been noticing some changes lately. The very conservative French men’s market, for instance, has seen a few rising stars, like Terre d’Hermès, YSL L’Homme and probably Diesel’s Fuel For Life. Elsewhere, particularly in the USA, fresh new scents have been chipping away at the supremacy of the best-selling Acqua di Gio pour Homme. And in the American women’s standings so far this year, Coco Mademoiselle (Chanel) and Light Blue (Dolce & Gabanna) have stolen the crown from the reigning champion, Beautiful. The classics will undoubtedly come up with a way to defend their turf. Who knows, maybe with a new ad campaign, or a new face? >>

quoted from "Trends" in Osmoz / English version / June 23, 2008

Sephora France / current bestsellers:

Hugo Boss Boss Signature

Jean Paul Gaultier "LE MALE" Eau de Toilette

Paco Rabanne 1 Million

Dior Dior Homme Sport

Armani Acqua Di Giò pour Homme

I think there is a reason why top 10 lists for Europe are practically non-existent. There are not even reliable hit lists for European countries. To my knowledge Douglas Germany and even Sephora France do not offer all masculine perfumes available on the market. Consequently some will be pushed more than others. Could it be that shops have temporarily a higher margin on new releases? Pushing those is more than obvious even after the free sample period is over.
    Last edited by narcus; 12th March 2009 at 05:26 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by scentaddiction View Post
    I would bet that the numbers do not reflect purchases made at Marshalls...
    I picked one up last month for 14.99.
    You're right, from what I understand and have read, they don't reflect purchases made at discount shops like Marshalls.

I think I have to agree that us American just loose interest in things and move on to what is new and trendy. I can see how Azzaro and Kouros might have been popular in the 80's but interest have since moved on to other things.

Look how in the early 90's how popular Tommy was and Joop! and now your luck if you can find a few bottles hidden in the back shelf of the fragrance department.....

I will add that for the life of me I can not warm up to Azzaro Pour Homme - it is just too sharp and herbal for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I think I have to agree that us American just loose interest in things and move on to what is new and trendy. I can see how Azzaro and Kouros might have been popular in the 80's but interest have since moved on to other things.

Look how in the early 90's how popular Tommy was and Joop! and now your luck if you can find a few bottles hidden in the back shelf of the fragrance department.....
    I respectfully disagree. Joop! is still somewhat popular. Mind you, I don't live in America, but for fragrances I sort of feel the two countries ( Canada & US) are somewhat similar.

I really think it all comes down to people buying what is most heavily advertised and what is most made available and visible in malls/stores. I don't think it is that Americans are more trendy or loose interest in things, especially with fragrances.

I really need to give Azzaro pH another try. I can vaguely remember it. I really have not been too crazy for this "house" or label.
    Last edited by Surfacing; 12th March 2009 at 03:45 AM.

Although few of my friends love to wear it, I think it has the status, if not as much of a best-seller, then, at least, a "confirmed classic" in Europe, since it's hard to be overlooked, even by the fragrance lovers who don't use or wear this one.

It also seems to me the current trend has taken masculinity away from many European guys; instead they're now wearing tight jeans and colorful scarfs while American guys are still wearing a t-shirt and classic Levi's jeans.
    Not sure what age group you're referring to, but I wear tight jeans and scarves (when its cold enough!), and I'm a straight American guy. Granted, some of those skinnies are Levi's, classic style modernized :-p

I also think that one of the basic reasons is that the current trend in the US for the past decade has been for fresh scents. The young(er) generation (<40 yo) in the US buys stuff from the "Eternity" era onwards. Heavy, spicy scents like Azzaro just aren't in.

While this is true of Europe as well, it's less so -- Europeans aren't as taken with the fresh trend quite as much. So proportionately I think the more traditionally masculine scents make up a bigger portion of sales.

Digging one level down from this generalization: I'm willing to bet that in both geographies, it's the older crowd that buys the heavier, masculine stuff like Azzaro -- as someone else has noted, these are such iconic scent that people who were in their twenties when it came out probably have continued buying it to this day. Many people don't change their habits. But in the US, the same market that's cornered by Azzaro, Paco and Kouros in Europe is cornered by Polo, Halston and Grey Flannel. So I think a more interesting comparison would be to compare the market for the 70s scents segment more generally, rather than one random one.