Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Smile Blood-brain barrier.

I was listening to a public radio station while driving yesterday. The show featured fragrance used in every day products with a Professor Anne Steinemann of Washington Universtiy. What I found interesting is that fragrance reaches the reptile portion of the brain directly, bypassing the blood brain barrier much the same as alcohol but, through the olfactory system. The host said some nice things about the French perfumes as being less or not harmful, but the fragrances used in house hold products were scarry. Mentioned were the fragrances in laundry detergents. I will be getting the non scented from now on. If you are interested in Anne Steinemann's research you can google her name and go to the University of Washington web site for more detail in a paper available there in adobe format. Yes, someone really does listen to Public Radio.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Blood-brain barrier.

Yes, it's a very interesting perspective. Now I see the virtue of viewing the olfactory neurons as a direct extension of the brain. They allow the brain to basically sense molecules in the environment without having to allow them past the blood-brain barrier. Project a small, expendable, rapidly replaceable portion of the brain directly into the environment. Another ingenious solution brought to you by the makers of vision!

And, if it's coming from a fairly primitive region of the brain, well..... that explains quite a bit.

Thanks for the post!

PS: NPR? Shame on you!

Thanks for sharing this very interesting item. I'll have to check it out.

"She blinded me with science," Thomas Dolby
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

My mother is always very interested in these newsflashes.. will definently talk to her, haha.
    unico grande amore.

I seem to be getting hypersensitive to laundry detergent fragrances anyway, so it's a good enough excuse to switch to unscented.

Probably also applies to other cleaners, tho--shower and toilet cleaners seem especially harsh to my nose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I seem to be getting hypersensitive to laundry detergent fragrances anyway, so it's a good enough excuse to switch to unscented.

Probably also applies to other cleaners, tho--shower and toilet cleaners seem especially harsh to my nose.
    Some of these modern cleaners are just nasty. Essentially things like hydrochloric acid, concentrated hydroxide solutions, or bleach. Improperly removed from surfaces, they can really mess one up. Be careful, and use lots of ventilation. Your nose is warning you to stay away - trust it.

As far as I know, the aroma chemicals used in household products are the same ones used in the frags we all love, just at different concentrations and of course, used to construct different accords that smell more functional and less "perfumey". At one point there were certain non biodegradable musks such as musk ketone being used, but as far as I know, they are not used any longer. (Anyone know for sure if they have been banned?) Another point to consider is that many times chemicals are added to products in order to remove their inherent odor and make them 'non scented'. As always, there are two sides to every story, so beware.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I was listening to a public radio station while driving yesterday. The show featured fragrance used in every day products with a Professor Anne Steinemann of Washington Universtiy. What I found interesting is that fragrance reaches the reptile portion of the brain directly, bypassing the blood brain barrier much the same as alcohol but, through the olfactory system. The host said some nice things about the French perfumes as being less or not harmful, but the fragrances used in house hold products were scarry. Mentioned were the fragrances in laundry detergents. I will be getting the non scented from now on. If you are interested in Anne Steinemann's research you can google her name and go to the University of Washington web site for more detail in a paper available there in adobe format. Yes, someone really does listen to Public Radio.
    Last edited by joxer96; 9th March 2009 at 01:51 AM.

Interesting post,
    thank you

I have always been allergic to bleach!
    Products that contain it
    in even minutest quantities
    irritate me something horrendous!

We have been using GreenWorks
    cleaners at home instead.
    Last edited by Agent Provocateur; 9th March 2009 at 05:29 PM.
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Bleach really bothers me too! When we use it at home, the smell stays in my nose for hours and makes it hard for me to smell much of anything else. Not only that, it makes me go into a sneezing fit. Not good.