Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Lack of incense...

I have a noticeable hole in my wardrobe, I have no incense scents! I have samples of Passage D'Enfer, Silver Factory and I really liked them, but I don't really grasp the incense notes so to speak. Are they supposed to smell like actual burning incense? I was raised in Protestant churches so I have no memories of that type, only Nag Champa and other basic ones.
    I have smelled most of the CDG line on paper, which was probably a mistake, because I know they have to warm up on skin. The L'Artisan seemed light, I liked the woods and the smooth drydown. The Bond was heavy and thick, almost creamy with great dynamics (long. and sillage); it had some effervescent qualities (maybe that was the incense note) that I liked, I don't think I could pull it off all the time, so not bottle worthy.

One's I've thought of trying are:

Heeley - Cardinal
    CDG Line, esp Kyoto or Avignon.

Any other recommendations besides these well known ones?
    Last edited by runstile; 9th March 2009 at 10:47 PM.

Default Re: Lack of incense...

Yeah, sorry I just searched and found a small but slightly informative post. I guess I just need to order some samples.

Jubilation XXV

I tried several niche ones, but I prefer the "cheapos," One Man Show and Cuba Red (more about cedar and spices). If you only want it once or twice a month, as I do, this may be the way to go. Jacomo Rouge is a good gourmand incense, so that's worth considering too.

Aedes de Venustas EdP, which is quite similar to Jubilation XXV, but less expensive, and with a less fruity topnote.

I second Jubilation XXV. From time to time, you can find travel size bottles for $50 on Amazon. Like now, for example:

http://www.amazon.com/Amouage-Jubila...6642588&sr=8-1

Trying to make up for buying the last bottle last time they offered it.

Wow. I really want to try that Amouage.... possible blind buy for me! Thanks blowtorch and lancer. I'm a sucker for the overpriced stuff

It might be worth trying Black Touramaline by Oliver Durbano.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I bought CdG Jaisalmer blind last year from Lucky Scent. They sent me samples of everything else, and I ended up buying Kyoto as well. I would recommend Jaisalmer over anything else. Heavy incense, great longevity.

Is Jubilation XXV really an incense scent? Yes it contains myrrh, frankincense and other resins that are technically the ingredients in incense but I think it smells more resinous than incense-y (i.e. there is not real appreciable smoky note to it that I associate with incense).
    Last edited by surreality; 10th March 2009 at 12:15 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Another good one is L'Occitane's Eau D'Iparie but it's a bit more expensive. This is not the dry, bitter incense of One Man Show but a "moist" and resinous one (and it's got a dried fruit type of thing going on that provides interest and balance).

Basenotes Institution

A cheaper, yet extremely incense prominent fragrance, is Rush for Men by Gucci. It's discontinued but easy to find online.

Others to try:
    Andy Tauer incense Extreme and Incense Rose
    Annick Goutal Incense Flamboyant
    La Via del Profumo Holy Water
    Eau Egyptienne by Olivia Giacobetti
    YSL Nu
    Evenstar

I'm really into the piney dryness of CdG Zagorsk myself, and it has come to replace Kyoto as my most interesting from the series.

I think Lorenzo Villoresi's Insensi is a beautiful blend of all things you need in an incense scent. I've only got a sample but the stuff doesn't go subtle like Passage d'Enfer, and doesn't go loud either. It sparkles and is warm. Basic yet with things that make it far from dull.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

My favorites...

Norman Kamali Incense Parfum
    Tauer Perfumes Incense Extreme
    Comme Des Garcons Kyoto

An absolute must sniff incense scent is TDC's Un Parfum des Sens Et Bois. It is very smooth and has a nice violet note woven along with cedar and what I'd call a 'white smoke' note.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'd suggest Olivier Durbano's Rock Crystal and Black Tourmaline. You can read about both of these in my blog.

Rien from Etat Libre is for me a smooth intro into incense like the CdG series. Its not as overwhelming but very interesting. To me anyway and Im not that fond of incense notes in general.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Czech & Speake no. 88 would do the trick. Although, I'm feeling I didn't understand the topic.
    unico grande amore.

Also try Messe de Minuit by Etro.
    I ordered testers of Avignon, Cardinal, Messe de Minuit and Passage D'Enfer.

Passage D'Enfer is my current favorite, with Messe de Minuit coming in second.

Matthew

Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande smells exactly like the lavender incence I buy from Fred Soll.

I would like to suggest Serge Noire as one of the best and wearable incense fragrances.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Cardinal and Avignon are quite similar. So if you try one, there is no need to try the other.

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    I have a noticeable hole in my wardrobe, I have no incense scents! I have samples of Passage D'Enfer, Silver Factory and I really liked them, but I don't really grasp the incense notes so to speak. Are they supposed to smell like actual burning incense? I was raised in Protestant churches so I have no memories of that type, only Nag Champa and other basic ones.
    I have smelled most of the CDG line on paper, which was probably a mistake, because I know they have to warm up on skin. The L'Artisan seemed light, I liked the woods and the smooth drydown. The Bond was heavy and thick, almost creamy with great dynamics (long. and sillage); it had some effervescent qualities (maybe that was the incense note) that I liked, I don't think I could pull it off all the time, so not bottle worthy.

One's I've thought of trying are:

Heeley - Cardinal
    CDG Line, esp Kyoto or Avignon.

Any other recommendations besides these well known ones?
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein