Code of Conduct

Question Various treatments of tobacco

Hello,
    I need a little education on the tobacco note.
    I notice that to my nose, the tobacco in Creed's Vintage Tabarome and C&S Cuba is very lush but dirty; sort of animalic/indolic, very organic and slightly rotten (this is the best way I can describe it). Unfortunately, I'm not able to appreciate that variety.

Then, there's Caron's Tabac Blonde, that's just like cigarettes.

I love the tobacco in Vetiver de Guerlain and the pipe tobacco in Shiseido's Basala.

Is this just a matter of the blending or do thses notes represent various parts or types of the tobacco plant or processing, fermentation, etc.?

Thank you!
    RM

Default Re: Various treatments of tobacco

Good questions. If you don't get an answer here, try the DIY forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't fill you in on specifics as well as many others can, but I've definitely noted a range of tobacco notes - some of which I believe are the tobacco flower. I personally don't enjoy the unsweetened tobacco fragrances such as iDPF Tabacco or, as I just tried today Memoire Liquide Fleurs de Tabac. The raw tobacco note is too bitter. However when the same note is sweetened up, such as in SMN's Tobacco Toscano or Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac, I love it. Similarly, when the tobacco note is part of larger accord, such as Guerlain Vetiver or even in Ralph Lauren Polo I always really enjoy.

I know this doesn't do much to answer the original question - I guess I'm interested in the answer myself.
    Last edited by bbBD; 10th March 2009 at 04:29 AM. Reason: typo

Wait for Scentemental to post.

nsamadi: "Wait for Scentemental to post."

Yes, I was secretly wishing, hoping, waiting...
    RM : )

Post Thanks / Like

I have a problem with some tobacco fragrances - they turn into this sickly chlorine smell on my skin. This happens with Vintage Tabarome and Ava Luxe's Shisha, but not Cuba or Tobacco Vanille.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I have a problem with some tobacco fragrances - they turn into this sickly chlorine smell on my skin. This happens with Vintage Tabarome and Ava Luxe's Shisha, but not Cuba or Tobacco Vanille.
    I just tried Cuba for the first time, and got exactly the chlorine effect you describe. I thought something may have happened to the sample. Tobacco Vanille and London are fine on me.

Interesting....

Easily my favourite is Michael Kors for men. It helps that women love it too, upon which it has aphrodisiac qualities it appears.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Post Thanks / Like

I may be wrong here, but the 'chlorine' effect people are describing may just be the natural astringency of a tobacco note when not mixes with other notes that cut the edge off it, so to speak. Thus Tobacco Vanille and London, which feature healthy doses of sweeter notes to balance the tobacco, don't become harsh while others like Cuba will.

Post Thanks / Like

I know there is both a tobacco (from leaves) and tobacco flower absolute, and considering the many different variants of tobacco plants, the role of terroir in shaping the flavors, the possibility of creating essences from differently cured leaves (blond, naturally dried etc.) plus the usual options in terms of isolating components or further transmogrifying the raw material there must theoretically be an infinite diversity of tobacco essences available to perfumers. I would suppose that in fact there are a number of standard naturals and synthetics in the market by different producers which together with blending possibilities still offer a very broad palette. I cannot stomach the tobacco in Guerlain Vétiver myself, while adoring Alt Innsbruck's all-natural tobacco note (my favorite). I love vintage Tab, but consider it extremely formal. Santa Maria Novella's Acqua di Cuba is very good, if a little over the top, while C&S Cuba is very comforting AND refined.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

creed's vintage tabarome ends with an awesome ambergris note that makes it work well. if you're going for a non-flowery tobacco smell, i'd think this is the way to go.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lauder for Men has a definite spicy pipe/cured leaf tobacco accord especially in the first hour of wear, although tobacco is not listed as a note.

Michael Kors for Men also has a sweet pipe tobacco note up to its drydown.

The_Good_Life's analysis is explicit enough for knowledge of tobacco in fragrances. Determining which part of the tobacco spectrum one prefers is what may be required.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

Dolce & Gabbana The One has a nicely rendered tobacco, supported by ginger, orange blossom, and amber. The tobacco stays pretty linear through the drydown.