Code of Conduct

Default Men Fragrance for Heavy Smokers

I am a heavy smoker (every 2 hours), I need a recommendation for daily hot and humid weather condition in my country (Malaysia), I need something fresh/ very noticeable that suitable for day (office and outdoor) and night and long lasting, thanks in advance

I have armand basi,versace dreamer,ck eternity,police,adventure quasar, polo safari,polo explorer, armani diamond, issey miyake, boss element, bvlgari extreme/aqva,dunhill desire,armani code,boss pure,blue jeans and cd fahrenheit.

any suggestion?thanks guys
    Last edited by lunz; 10th March 2009 at 03:34 PM.

Default Re: Men Fragrance for Heavy Smokers

I'd go with the Armand Basi or Issey Miyake.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    I'd go with the Armand Basi or Issey Miyake.
    Thanks man, we have the same nose..both of them are my favourite

any more suggestion from others?

the best perfume for you is to stop smoking.
    unico grande amore.

Thumbs up Re: Men Fragrance for Heavy Smokers

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Wüst View Post
    Agree !!!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

There was an interesting brief essay by Luca Turin in last NZZ Folio last August. Check out the link here. What I loved about this piece was the idea that part of the perception of beauty has to do with the concentration required to get at it, that you are often in the position of smelling, as it were, between smoke molecules or listening through ambient noise, and that these screens of smell or noise or whatever then become part of the perception of beauty. I like that. Enjoy and a warm welcome to Basenotes.

Really interesting essay. This part surprised me:

Quote Originally Posted by Luca Turin
    It is perhaps no accident that some of the greatest perfumers alive are dedicated smokers. You can see them in the street in the fragrance district of midtown Manhattan, smelling strips in one hand, cigarette in the other, watching a crew dig up the road.

Blog Entries

lunz~ I'm so sorry that you came to this forum seeking fragrance recommendations and received admonishments instead. I'd like to offer a sincere welcome to Basenotes.

Guerlain Vetiver is a classic citrus and earthy vetiver scent with a touch of tobacco smokiness blended in masterfully. I think you would enjoy it in your climate.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    lunz~ I'm so sorry that you came to this forum seeking fragrance recommendations and received admonishments instead. I'd like to offer a sincere welcome to Basenotes.

Guerlain Vetiver is a classic citrus and earthy vetiver scent with a touch of tobacco smokiness blended in masterfully. I think you would enjoy it in your climate.
    This is a great suggestion...

Just received my bottle of this today, really really great recommendation.

Blog Entries

I notice that you like Polo scents. I wore original Polo (green) back in my smoking days, and people thought it worked nicely. The newer Polo Modern Reserve may do so as well, although it is less smoky and more leathery. Something to consider. I also know a smoker who wears Givenchy Pi Neo, and it blends nicely with the tobacco, in my opinion. Strong and long-lasting, too. However, none of these scents are very fresh or cooling. I agree that the Issey Miyake might be a great choice in terms of offering freshness in hot and humid conditions.

PS - Welcome aboard!

He wasn't asking for smoking addiction advice

Gabrielle Bonheur "Coco" Chanel
    Last edited by silverbullet; 11th March 2009 at 02:44 PM.

Please keep your witty answer to yourself. Thanks anyway
    Last edited by lunz; 11th March 2009 at 05:01 PM.

At last, I found someone who is nice and humble, thank you for the suggestion, I just ordered it from fragrancex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    There was an interesting brief essay by Luca Turin in last NZZ Folio last August. Check out the link here. What I loved about this piece was the idea that part of the perception of beauty has to do with the concentration required to get at it, that you are often in the position of smelling, as it were, between smoke molecules or listening through ambient noise, and that these screens of smell or noise or whatever then become part of the perception of beauty. I like that. Enjoy and a warm welcome to Basenotes.
    Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I notice that you like Polo scents. I wore original Polo (green) back in my smoking days, and people thought it worked nicely. The newer Polo Modern Reserve may do so as well, although it is less smoky and more leathery. Something to consider. I also know a smoker who wears Givenchy Pi Neo, and it blends nicely with the tobacco, in my opinion. Strong and long-lasting, too. However, none of these scents are very fresh or cooling. I agree that the Issey Miyake might be a great choice in terms of offering freshness in hot and humid conditions.

PS - Welcome aboard!
    Thanks for the suggestion, I am going to shop for those 2 items (Polo Modern Reverse and Givency Pi Neo)

i dont understand why you included your smoking habit to help you find reccomendations. what makes things different that you smoke, smokers need different fragrances or something? sorry if i sound harsh but to me it makes no sense why you included that. But i will suggest chanel allure and dolce and gabbana pour homme.

Quote Originally Posted by avfcdamian92 View Post
    i dont understand why you included your smoking habit to help you find reccomendations. what makes things different that you smoke, smokers need different fragrances or something? sorry if i sound harsh but to me it makes no sense why you included that. But i will suggest chanel allure and dolce and gabbana pour homme.

I was a heavy cigarette smoker for several years until I switched over to smoking a pipe occasionally. The combination of the pipe tobacco doesn't go well with my Parfum d'Habit The lighter, citrusy fragrances blend better for me. Smoking definately alters those lovely top notes Allure & D&G are excellent examples

Black XS.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

I really shouldn't be answering for Lunz, but as a smoker myself I can see two possible issues. For one there is the fact that smoking is said to impair the olfactory sense. So it makes sense that a heavy smoker might want something that he or she can smell that would be able to override a possible deficit in one's ability to smell.

The other issue might be the ambience of the smoke itself. As someone else noted, the aroma of a fragrance that fits well with the ambience of cigarette tobacco might not necessarily mesh well with that of pipe tobacco.

Just my thoughts. The original poster may have been asking for arcane reasons completely unknown to me.

edited to add: He also mentioned heat and humidity, along with the smoking, as factors to be considered. And I agree. Something that might work for a smoker in the drier environs of Southern California, where I'm from, does not necessarily work well in the sauna summers of mid-Missouri, where I now live.
    Last edited by xhepera; 12th March 2009 at 06:57 PM.

Well avfcdamian92, I don't understand why some people mention their skin color( "white"), endurance level ( "I'm the athletic type"), or whatever pointless trait they have. I can see smoker as something that is worth noting.

Perhaps something opposite of a cigarette ( Mugler Cologne) or something I personally feel would go well ( Gucci pour Homme or Burberry London). Then again, I love these 2 scents and would recommend them shamlessly anyways.

Anyways to Lunz, here are my picks buddy :

Burberry London ( hope you don't mind designer, but perhaps wait in cooler weather )

Rive Gauche pour Homme

Baldesserini Ambre and/or the original

Carven Homme ( so classy, yet restrained)

Eau de Lalique ( refreshing unisex citrus)

Canali Black Diamond EDP ( starts off similar to Cool Water, but has a good base to it as well. Get the Parfum, not EDT)

Good luck Lunz.
    Last edited by Surfacing; 12th March 2009 at 08:19 PM.

I wouldnt bother trying to smell good, the stink of cigarette smoke will far outweigh any fragrance.
    The only one that can power through it is Joop! Homme. Make sure you use no less than 12 sprays.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    I wouldnt bother trying to smell good, the stink of cigarette smoke will far outweigh any fragrance.
    The only one that can power through it is Joop! Homme. Make sure you use no less than 12 sprays.
    haha, you'll need a new bottle in no time. Saying the best perfume is to stop smoking isn't a personal thing. the smoke smell just won't go away, it's not related to the addiction of smoking. smoke is indeed to overpowering to smell just good.
    unico grande amore.

Actually, as long as the original poster stays away from Joop Nightflight, he won't have to worry about causing a big bad smell. Ick.

Blog Entries

This OP of this thread is seeking fragrance recommendations. He states that he is a smoker, which some consider a relevant point when making suggestions.

If you do not have a sincere and considerate fragrance recommendation for the OP, then this thread is not for you. The OP is not inviting you to comment on his social habit. If you would rather discuss your opinions on smoking tobacco and its effect on fragrance, please feel free to start a new thread, rather than hijacking this one. Again, the Original Poster is requesting fragrance recommendations. If you do not have a sincere fragrance recommendation for the OP, this thread is not for you.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

haha thank you ms oud girl for setting the record straight... too many times someone will open up a topic hoping for sincere help, and instead will be beaten with condescension and derision... some people need to heap insults or admonishments at others in order to quell their own lack of confidence or feelings of self-worth. To Lunz: you keep doing whatever it takes to make you happy, and for the love of god try Michael by Michael Kors the beauty in that relatively inexpensive fragrance will surely cover up any innocent wafts of smoke, and it only intensifies in the heat
    At your service

One that I think would work well would be Cuba by Czech & Speake. It is excellent in warm weather, and it kind of fits my image of what a smoker might use. Rather than alleviating the effect of the tobacco, it envelopes it, and perhaps makes it a little more exotic.

Whatever. So often the same people that talk smack about the reek of smokers are the same that claim, "Oh, I had to use 12 sprays of ________ to get any longevity or a bit of sillage. It disappeared after 20 minutes." No, you don't have to use 12 sprays of anything, and it didn't "disappear"- don't worry we can all smell you, coming and going.

Generally Lunz, I think aquatic type scents don't work well with cigarette smoke (and really, I think it depend on the type and smell of the tobacco/cig), while woody, woody-gourmand, amber and leathery scents do. I generally don’t follow weather designations beyond personal preference, just apply appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by leffleur View Post
    Generally Lunz, I think aquatic type scents don't work well with cigarette smoke (and really, I think it depend on the type and smell of the tobacco/cig), while woody, woody-gourmand, amber and leathery scents do.
    I was intending to suggest Quorum for that general reason... It definitely is better-suited to 1-2 sprays instead of 12.

CK Eternity
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

I think you should check out Le Roy Soleil by Salvador Dali. It's a very bright/metallic orange scent over a base of cedar and tobacco. Would go excellent with the smell of smoke, I imagine.

Also, L'Anarchiste by Caron.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 17th March 2009 at 06:30 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Dreamer and Dolce & Gabbana.

Always been hitting up the bars wearing Dolce, it works out smoothly with the booze and smoking, even after 5 hours being in a bar, i still get women telling me how good i smell. Same thing with Dreamer.

Then I offer that woman that sniffed me, a bottle of whiskey and a hotel room, but that is another story.

Generally Lunz, I think aquatic type scents don't work well with cigarette smoke (and really, I think it depend on the type and smell of the tobacco/cig), while woody, woody-gourmand, amber and leathery scents do.
    As a former smoker, I agree with leffleur. Rather than go for something that will attempt to overpower or mask the scent of the smoke, I think you should embrace the scent and find something that accents it or that it accents. When I was smoking quite a bit, I wore A*men a lot and found that it went quite well with the scent of the cigarette smoke. Leffleur also brought up a good point about different types of tobacco and different types of cigarettes having different smelling smoke. I'd pick something different to go with a Nat Sherman MCD than I would to go with a Marlboro Red or a Camel Turkish Royal. If you smoke menthol or vanilla or mint cigarettes, that would probably influence your fragrance choice as well. Get some samples, spray the scent, light up, and see what works for you.
    "I don't know what the different scents is. I just know what I like." -- Sephora SA

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Well avfcdamian92, I don't understand why some people mention their skin color( "white"), endurance level ( "I'm the athletic type"), or whatever pointless trait they have. I can see smoker as something that is worth noting.

Perhaps something opposite of a cigarette ( Mugler Cologne) or something I personally feel would go well ( Gucci pour Homme or Burberry London). Then again, I love these 2 scents and would recommend them shamlessly anyways.

Anyways to Lunz, here are my picks buddy :

Burberry London ( hope you don't mind designer, but perhaps wait in cooler weather )

Rive Gauche pour Homme

Baldesserini Ambre and/or the original

Carven Homme ( so classy, yet restrained)

Eau de Lalique ( refreshing unisex citrus)

Canali Black Diamond EDP ( starts off similar to Cool Water, but has a good base to it as well. Get the Parfum, not EDT)

Good luck Lunz.
    Thanks, I already bought Canali Black Diamond EDP..a very very nice suggestion..thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Actually, as long as the original poster stays away from Joop Nightflight, he won't have to worry about causing a big bad smell. Ick.
    Thanks..

This OP of this thread is seeking fragrance recommendations. He states that he is a smoker, which some consider a relevant point when making suggestions.

If you do not have a sincere and considerate fragrance recommendation for the OP, then this thread is not for you. The OP is not inviting you to comment on his social habit. If you would rather discuss your opinions on smoking tobacco and its effect on fragrance, please feel free to start a new thread, rather than hijacking this one. Again, the Original Poster is requesting fragrance recommendations. If you do not have a sincere fragrance recommendation for the OP, this thread is not for you.
    Thanks again, you are my savior

Have you tried Royal Water by Creed ?

Is Royal Water something that would blend well with the smell of cigarette smoke on somebody? Perhaps the sharp citrus would penetrate the stale smoke smell enough to "freshen up" the person wearing it.

SMW certainly doesn't mix well with tobacco smoke. It totally destroys the SMW concept in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Have you tried Royal Water by Creed ?

Thumbs up Re: Men Fragrance for Heavy Smokers

Quote Originally Posted by decillisjl View Post
    haha thank you ms oud girl for setting the record straight... too many times someone will open up a topic hoping for sincere help, and instead will be beaten with condescension and derision... some people need to heap insults or admonishments at others in order to quell their own lack of confidence or feelings of self-worth. To Lunz: you keep doing whatever it takes to make you happy, and for the love of god try Michael by Michael Kors the beauty in that relatively inexpensive fragrance will surely cover up any innocent wafts of smoke, and it only intensifies in the heat
    Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    One that I think would work well would be Cuba by Czech & Speake. It is excellent in warm weather, and it kind of fits my image of what a smoker might use. Rather than alleviating the effect of the tobacco, it envelopes it, and perhaps makes it a little more exotic.
    Whatever. So often the same people that talk smack about the reek of smokers are the same that claim, "Oh, I had to use 12 sprays of ________ to get any longevity or a bit of sillage. It disappeared after 20 minutes." No, you don't have to use 12 sprays of anything, and it didn't "disappear"- don't worry we can all smell you, coming and going.

Generally Lunz, I think aquatic type scents don't work well with cigarette smoke (and really, I think it depend on the type and smell of the tobacco/cig), while woody, woody-gourmand, amber and leathery scents do. I generally don’t follow weather designations beyond personal preference, just apply appropriately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post
    I was intending to suggest Quorum for that general reason... It definitely is better-suited to 1-2 sprays instead of 12.
    Quote Originally Posted by Critic View Post
    CK Eternity
    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I think you should check out Le Roy Soleil by Salvador Dali. It's a very bright/metallic orange scent over a base of cedar and tobacco. Would go excellent with the smell of smoke, I imagine.

Also, L'Anarchiste by Caron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayid_Burnstein View Post
    Dreamer and Dolce & Gabbana.

Always been hitting up the bars wearing Dolce, it works out smoothly with the booze and smoking, even after 5 hours being in a bar, i still get women telling me how good i smell. Same thing with Dreamer.

Then I offer that woman that sniffed me, a bottle of whiskey and a hotel room, but that is another story.
    He he he..thanks man, good luck with the another story

Quote Originally Posted by curtis.w View Post
    As a former smoker, I agree with leffleur. Rather than go for something that will attempt to overpower or mask the scent of the smoke, I think you should embrace the scent and find something that accents it or that it accents. When I was smoking quite a bit, I wore A*men a lot and found that it went quite well with the scent of the cigarette smoke. Leffleur also brought up a good point about different types of tobacco and different types of cigarettes having different smelling smoke. I'd pick something different to go with a Nat Sherman MCD than I would to go with a Marlboro Red or a Camel Turkish Royal. If you smoke menthol or vanilla or mint cigarettes, that would probably influence your fragrance choice as well. Get some samples, spray the scent, light up, and see what works for you.
    Thank you very much for all the suggestions, I really appreciate you guys.

Azzaro PH would be best IMO. I also had an experience with a fragrance recently that when I sprayed it on I immediately though "this would smell good with cigarette smoke." That fragrance was Cerruti Image.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Dependent

Definitely COOL WATER.

Hands down I gotta say Dirty English by juicy Couture. Blends amazingly well with cigarette.

haha, you'll need a new bottle in no time. Saying the best perfume is to stop smoking isn't a personal thing. the smoke smell just won't go away, it's not related to the addiction of smoking. smoke is indeed to overpowering to smell just good.
    I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I feel the need to put in my two cents about this. I am not a heavy smoker like lunz, but I do smoke an occasional cigarette.

I personally find the smell of cigarette smoke to be attractive when mixed with the right smell. Some people don't even need to use cologne or perfume, it just smells lovely to me on their skin.

In any case, I find it a perfectly acceptable question to ask. Lunz, as far as my opinion goes, I've always found a more spicier scent to go well with the smell of tobacco. I'm not sure how it would do under hotter temperatures, but to me, cigarette smoke mixed with a lightly-applied and spicy aftershave smell is very appealing. They mix well. I'm not familiar with male brands of cologne, so if this is something you want to try, I unfortunately have no particular names to offer.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Keene; 12th April 2009 at 05:01 AM.

I'm an occasionally smoker, so the other day I had a cigarette while wearing M7 - it was a magical combination. Somehow the smoke toned down the sweet ambery richness of the M7, resulting in how I wish M7 smelled on its own. Anyway, M7 is a good one for smokers if you ask me.
    Sales thread here

You might want to try some of the classic scents, things that were created during the period ,40's - 70's, when smoking was really considered fashionable. Even many of the scents marketed for women, Bandit is a great example, are strong enough to mix nicely with a smokiness.
    But seeing that my father died from heart-failure due to smoking, I hope one day you may quit. I say this not in judgment, I say this as someone who wants others to know it is something that does cause health problems.
    Take care.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    You might want to try some of the classic scents, things that were created during the period ,40's - 70's, when smoking was really considered fashionable. Even many of the scents marketed for women, Bandit is a great example, are strong enough to mix nicely with a smokiness.
    But seeing that my father died from heart-failure due to smoking, I hope one day you may quit. I say this not in judgment, I say this as someone who wants others to know it is something that does cause health problems.
    Take care.
    That's the best advice I've heard so far

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    That's the best advice I've heard so far
    Thanks sweety.
    I truly do not try to judge anyone.
    I know how hard it was for my dad to go even an hour without a cigarette, unfortunately I also know how hard it was for us after he was gone.
    But he was such a love; since he knew how much I hated the smoky smell, he always wore great scents to make me happy and smell more pleasant for me.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

I used to smoke, and when I decided to quit, I became addicted to perfumes. Now, I smoke an occasional cigarette and often catch myself wondering the same question. I'm from a tropical country as well and I've found Givenchy's Gentleman to go along very well with cigarettes, even though it's not a fresh fragrance. Gentleman is quite an old perfume, from a time when smoking was more common and glamourous.

I also have an impression that Aramis, Fahrenheit (from Dior) and Tsar (from Van cleef and Arpels) would be amazing, but as I haven't personally tried them, I suggest you go to a store and sample these and see if they're what you want.

I hope it helps!

I defintely would try Quorum and maybe Havana
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Basenotes Institution

Welcome lunz - how about Opium for men or the male version of Infusion D'Iris Prada. Also I second Guerlain Vetiver ! Good luck anyway with your new buy from fragrancex.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I have a heavy-smoker friend and he's got great taste. He wears Cartier's Santos a lot and somehow the combination of left-over cigarette odour and Santos smell just great on him. He said he sprays on his shirt also. lol.

I wouldn't try to overpower the stench of tobacco smoke with fresh or citrus scents. That's not possible; it will always be there, fighting against your chosen fragrance. Better to "go with" the smoke, complement it, pull it into your frangrance and transform the smoke into just a part of something pleasurable. Quorum is an excellent suggestion, as would be an incense or heavy tobacco-leaning scent. If your surroundings allow it, even the ultra-strong Bijan for Men, applied appropriately, could do the trick. It's a good honky tonk scent, and no one will call you a sissy for wearing it. Good luck!