Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Frederic Malle - Geranium Pour MONSIEUR (Launches MAY)

Like the rest of you, I've got very high hopes for this one.

Just a little piece of extra information, I've been told, from a Frederic Malle insider: the amount of natural geranium absolute used in Geranium pour Monsieur will be much greater than the amount of tuberose absolute used in Carnal Flower.
    Last edited by Trebor; 24th March 2009 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Like the rest of you, I've got very high hopes for this one.

Just a little piece of extra information, I've been told, from a Frederic Malle insider: the amount of natural geranium absolute used in Geranium pour Monsieur will be much greater than the amount of tuberose absolute used in Carnal Flower.
    Well, not to spoil the excitement of the new release, but geranium is also much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I hope they don't use this as an excuse to put it in the Carnal Flower price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Well, not to spoil the excitement of the new release, but geranium is also much cheaper.
    yes, I just thought the same thing
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

you are always bringing the good new Dimitri ... thank you,,
    notes are exciting , absoultly on my top list this summer ,
    any sniff so far?

Let´s hope it´s better than Dans tes Bras.

Oh I found the first review.
    Read at your own peril!!

http://lecritiquedeparfum.blogspot.c...-monsieur.html
    Evenstar

Huh. A strangely hypnotic fragrance which could possibly evoke toothpaste? And over a mixed musk base both clean and animalic (did they use the word ravageur here to pique about Musc Ravageur)? Sounds kinda yukky.
    Last edited by Asha; 30th March 2009 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Can't get much better than DTB!

http://lecritiquedeparfum.blogspot.c...-monsieur.html
    Translated (roughly):

If French Lover was a bit academic, Dominique Ropion and Frederic Malle break all the rules with the new male.

Like a thunderclap olfactory, Geranium Pour Monsieur begins with a mint cold rain nuances of mint and aniseed. The note geranium, floral but not grasses, unique and quite close to pure essential oil, then flourishes on two musks. One white and chaste, the other, combined with cinnamon and castoreum much pest. Throughout evolution, the Mint will continue to pulse divinely on the skin.

The price to pay for this incredible freshness: the evocation of a possible mouthwash or a toothpaste. Not only this is not fatal, it is strangely hypnotic.
    Last edited by AnthonyDG; 30th March 2009 at 07:07 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Ooh - I love the smell of cinnamon mouthwash! Seriously - I remember reading that one of Olivia Giacobetti's new fragrances for the Iunx line, Splash Forte, contains an accord reminiscent of cinnamon mouthwash and this intrigued me. Now I'm really interested in testing the new Malle.

To me it sounds very avant garde (like Dans Tes Bras is).

Thanks for the link arwen_elf

There's definitely a mouthwash thing going on, at least for me. Géranium pour Monsieur is very minty, very fresh, very unusual, and it does last!

YAY! I love me some mint. Let's just hope it's more reminiscent of the mint in Green Valley or even Yuzu Ab Irato, and NOT the mint in Roadster, yuck. This sounds right up my alley.

It's really different from the mint in Roadster, there's no doubt about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Le critique de parfum View Post
    Oh, thank god! I really love the slightly sweet, herbal, fresh character that mint can add when done correctly (i.e. my favorite Green Valley), but when it is done poorly it smells instantly like toothpaste. Really looking forward to this one. Any info yet on the price?

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Lets hope so: that one was infected with a synthetic aspirin-like accord with a very linear monolithic scent structure (probably because of bucketloads of benzyl salicylate which results in fragrances smelling the same from start to finish).

Cinnamon mouthwash? I can't believe Ropion wasn't able to circumscribe these dentist associations ...it will be interesting to see how skillful his use of mint was in GPH.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    YAY! I love me some mint. Let's just hope it's more reminiscent of the mint in Green Valley or even Yuzu Ab Irato, and NOT the mint in Roadster, yuck. This sounds right up my alley.
    Really? To me Roadster is a great example of a non-toothpaste like mint in a mint dominant fragrance !
    -

Thanks for the link arwen_elf

There's definitely a mouthwash thing going on, at least for me. Géranium pour Monsieur is very minty, very fresh, very unusual, and it does last!
    Welcome to Basenotes. I am glad you are joining the conversation.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 30th March 2009 at 07:53 PM.
    Evenstar

I am surprised that his is being marketed as Pour Monsieur, since all the other FM are unisex, even French Lover.

Is this really masculine? I don't mind wearing masculine fragrances, but I am just curious since many niche houses don't limit their market to masculine or femenine
    Evenstar

Oh C'Mon May, get here already!!!

It looks like FM is distancing himself from the whole unisex bandwagon, at least in the name department.

French Lover/Bois d'Orage was a first step. So many customers need to be reassured...

Géranium is not a "butch" as French Lover though, the geranium note is quite versatile. It could be worn by a woman... as long as she LOVES mint of course.

I'm approaching this one with caution. Mint and me are fair-weather friends at best... so far C&S Cuba is the only fragrance with a mint note I can picture myself owning.

I do love geranium and cinnamon, though.

Mmmm, maybe there are testers available at Barney's already. We need some volunteers to check that out (calling out Jaime B). I remember I smelled Dans te Bras almost two months before it was released.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Really? To me Roadster is a great example of a non-toothpaste like mint in a mint dominant fragrance !
    Really? I guess this goes to show our noses really are all different. Roadster, to me at least, is a perfect example of a toothpaste accord with mint. Hmmm...

Looks like they're keeping a tight lip on this one. I just received an email back from Les Senteurs in which I asked if they had any more info on when it would be available to sample and if they had any info on pricing and this is what they said:

"Hello again,,
    I have to tell you, I had the chance to try geranium pour monsieur last week and its just divine.The way its developing on my skin was very interesting.A really chic scent with a ..... oops, sorry i not allowed to give any informations before the official launch. I'm afraid we don't have a date yet. I think you re right about it being launched in may.
    let's keep in touch
    LS (Florian)"

Oh man.... Shot down.

I've not tried Geranium but the combination of mint notes in the head and geranium in the heart strongly (and strangely) reminds me of Guerlain Homme ...

I don't care if it is marketed to men, I want to smell this...
    Here is another review

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds..._m_1.html#more
    Evenstar

You know when your partner just brushed her/his teeth before sex? That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I am surprised that his is being marketed as Pour Monsieur, since all the other FM are unisex, even French Lover.
    This is not so. There are four perfumes specifically for women, and Vetiver is another one with a masculine label. Some may not carry a label but I recommend to read the Editor's descriptions carefully, in case your nose leaves you in doubt, on Noir Epices, for example.
    Last edited by narcus; 14th April 2009 at 08:56 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I don't care if it is marketed to men, I want to smell this...
    Here is another review

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds..._m_1.html#more
    Good lord, I don't have time to wade through 30 pages of that review .. can someone summarize the review in 10 sentences or less ?
    -

Sur la Plage

I will definitely try it. But so far, I have been completely underwhelmed by the Malle line. Maybe this one will "click" for me.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    This is not so. There are four perfumes specifically for women, and Vetiver is another one with a masculine label. Some may not carry a label but I recommend to read the Editor's descriptions carefully, in case your nose leaves you in doubt, on Noir Epices, for example.
    Good advice. Thanks!
    Evenstar

I'm actually Dying Dying Dying for this release.. The mint should be soo lovely... Can't wait.. Looks good for the summer days.
    unico grande amore.

Good lord, I don't have time to wade through 30 pages of that review .. can someone summarize the review in 10 sentences or less ?
    Dark floral freshness with green metallic edge plus animalic drydown.

Oh, you said 10 sentences or less? I went for the word count. Perhaps I should've thrown in a few words like miasmic, inchoate, prelapsarian, proto-semiotic, reproductibility (?), and other undergraduate-style poststructuralist gear change snafus?

*off to ponder the meaning of 'Smelling such a meadow in the spring is literally drinking nectar through the nostrils' and thereby to remove his snarly side*

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by leopoldo View Post
    Dark floral freshness with green metallic edge plus animalic drydown.

Oh, you said 10 sentences or less? I went for the word count. Perhaps I should've thrown in a few words like miasmic, inchoate, prelapsarian, proto-semiotic, reproductibility (?), and other undergraduate-style poststructuralist gear change snafus?

*off to ponder the meaning of 'Smelling such a meadow in the spring is literally drinking nectar through the nostrils' and thereby to remove his snarly side*
    LOL

Has anyone smelled Pruning Shears by Demeter? It's a floral (rose) with a metallic edge and I happen to love it. An animalic / mint aspect added to this though sounds...risky.

Mint in a fragrance doesn't necessarily mean it will come across as toothpaste or an "After Eight". I recently retried Cartier's Roadster and I think they got the mint balance just right there.

You know when your partner just brushed her/his teeth before sex? That's it.
    Yummie!!
    Evenstar

I just tried this at Les Senteurs today!!!! I was soooooooo excited that they had it (a sample). It smells extremely minty, similiar to someone's breath right after they brush their teeth!!! After that, it gets animalic (i think it's the civet), but oh lord....ITS BEAUTIFUL!!! Will definetly buy a bottle once it's released

It is now available for sample and FB purchase at Les Senteurs!!!

http://shop.lessenteurs.com/category..._pour_Monsieur

Edit: Only for advanced orders at this point, but I believe the samples are still able to be purchased.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 22nd April 2009 at 11:00 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Sur la Plage

It is for sale in the Barneys catalog I received in the mail today.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    It is for sale in the Barneys catalog I received in the mail today.
    Wha?? Can someone in New York run over to Barney's and smell it?

RUGGLES!!! ((yelling))
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wha?? Can someone in New York run over to Barney's and smell it?

RUGGLES!!! ((yelling))
    I just called the New York store. It won't be there until mid-May (they said it still had to clear customs). Apparently they have had several phone calls about it due to it already being listed in their catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I just called the New York store. It won't be there until mid-May (they said it still had to clear customs). Apparently they have had several phone calls about it due to it already being listed in their catalog.
    I called the Barney's in Dallas yesterday and they said it won't be in until late May, Texas is so SLOW!!!

I wonder if the New York Barney's will get the 50 ml bottles and not just the 100 ml ones right away.

Quite a writeup from Octavian Coifan:
    http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...-monsieur.html
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Quite a writeup from Octavian Coifan:
    http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...-monsieur.html
    The word 'futuristic' scares me ..
    -

The word 'futuristic' scares me ..
    That's the word that excited me!

Another review:

http://graindemusc.blogspot.com/2009...dominique.html

Just so everyone knows, I just spoke with Les Senteurs, and they are expecting their bottles in on Thursday. Anyone who gets to sniff it please share your thoughts.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Just so everyone knows, I just spoke with Les Senteurs, and they are expecting their bottles in on Thursday. Anyone who gets to sniff it please share your thoughts.
    That's good news, though, before they'll arive in Europe, let alone the Netherlands.. that's like 4 months away
    unico grande amore.

looks like it is in paris since 2 days and also already in london.

can t wait it to arrive in my local geneva's shop where they sell malle.

since we are so close from paris, hopefully they have it already.. will try tomorrow ^^
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

I just tried it a couple of hours ago. Unfortunately, there were no official samples available, so I had to make do with a couple of shots to my wrist. The mint is extremely well done and smells very true to fresh peppermint leaves (as opposed to toothpaste). This could very much be what Guerlain Homme should have been but it's early days yet. I'd rather not say more until I get hold of a sample but it does look promising...

Does anybody remember that old department store commercial where they showed a woman plastered to the store room window chanting "open, open, open"

That's how anxious I feel about the arrival of GPM here in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjra View Post
    Does anybody remember that old department store commercial where they showed a woman plastered to the store room window chanting "open, open, open"

That's how anxious I feel about the arrival of GPM here in the states.
    I know right? Here's a bit of unfortunate news though. After speaking with a rep from Theperfumedcourt, they advised me that Barneys New York isn't expecting their shipment in until the END of May, and that theperfumedcourt would be expecting theirs in around the same time. So it looks like for us in the US we're going to have to wait a little longer than those in some of the other countries that have already recieved it.

I just talked to the SA at the local Barney's and he is hoping that they'll have a tester in the next week or so and bottles for sale about a week after that. So it looks like the last week in May is about right in the US.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 12th May 2009 at 04:58 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I seriously can't wait for this, haha.. Like trebor said.. the new Guerlain L'Homme should watch and learn.. since I couldn't get allot of mint in it though!
    unico grande amore.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I just talked to the SA at the local Barney's and he is hoping that they'll have a tester in the next week or so and bottles for sale about a week after that. So it looks like the last week in May is about right in the US.
    Hmmm...Copley Mall Barneys SAs told me late May at the earliest, with early June being more likely. They're going to call me as soon as it arrives.

Smile Re: Frederic Malle - Geranium Pour MONSIEUR (Launches MAY)

Geranium pour Monsieur is now available on the Frederic Malle website. I ordered a bottle yesterday and they are shipping it to me this Friday.

AC
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Gandini 1896 Teak Wood, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Bond No.9 I Love NY Marriage Equality, Acqua di Parma Intensa Oud, Rasasi Faqat Lil Rijal, Slumberhouse Jeke extrait

Thumbs up Re: Frederic Malle - Geranium Pour MONSIEUR (Launches MAY)

Quote Originally Posted by acjigga View Post
    Geranium pour Monsieur is now available on the Frederic Malle website. I ordered a bottle yesterday and they are shipping it to me this Friday.

AC
    Same here, a bottle of 100 ml
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I definently need a sample first before buying, haha
    unico grande amore.

Did anyone notice that it's got 'Ambergris' in the basenotes...I just checked "Ambroxan" is a substitute for "Ambergris"...

Here is the scent pyramid from osmoz.com

Top notes

Mint aboslute, peppermint, Anéthol, Floralozone

Heart notes

Geranium from China, Rhodinol, Cinnamon CO2

Base notes

White Musk, Ambroxan, Sandalwood, Benzoin

There is so much hype around the release of this fragrance....it better live up to everyone's hope..

Alors,

I just come back from the Malle store in the Rue Grenelle in Paris where I have of course taken the opportunity to take a good nose of the new scent. In the scent colomn (glass cylinder in which the perfume is evaporated) it smelled stunning, fresh, floral and well, sounds strange, a bit like in an catholic church. On my skin it takes a different direction. It starts with what I would call the chewing gum accord. Soon the geranium notes (that evoke rose, no question) kick in. In that next phase, around 30min. after it was sprayed on me my first thought was 'hmm, smells like Bois des Îles', which is probably because of the gorgeous sandalwood note in combination with cinnamon and rose now clearly discernible. Now, 3h after application it is a little soapy, the mint note still being strong, the cinnamon getting a little stronger. I don't expect much evolution from this point onwards.

Conclusion: a definite must-try unisex scent (forget the name) that is not as innovative as I first thougt. Think Egoiste plus Mint minus some gingerbread notes. High quality ingredients and composition. Its not very strong btw.