Code of Conduct
o

Default Macy's or Sephora?

I'm a 19 year old guy and looking to get a new fragrence or two. Here are the ones I want to checkout.

Sean John - Unforgivable
    Angel Men
    YSL L'Homme
    Burberry London
    YSL M7
    Gucci Envy
    YSL Live Jazz
    Azzaro Chrome

At our big mall there is a Macy's and Sephora, and I think those would be the larger places that would sell this kind of stuff. However, I'm kind of hesitant to go into sephora, it seems like more of a womans store? Which store would have more of the scents that I listed. Thanks.

Default Re: Macy's or Sephora?

Sephora usually has a much bigger selection than Macys. The folks at Sephora also will make you samples which lets you try a few out and see what you like on your skin.

Do they bug you alot when your looking around? Or do they generally leave you alone?

sephora would be a better bet. they have a larger selection, and they are used to people coming in to smell stuff, so they would be less inclined to come up and pester you to try different things. try to go when the store is really busy, that way you will attract less attention from the staff. I hate going in to department stores when I'm the only one at the counter, and the salespeople flock like hawks...

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Sephora. They have all of their testers out and available and usually leave you alone to smell at your leisure. At Macy's they may keep some of the testers behind the counter, so you have to ask. Plus their SA's are usually too agressive for my tastes.
    Last edited by dpak; 11th March 2009 at 08:46 PM.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Sephora will have all of those except for Live Jazz and M7. For those, you can try Macy's, but getting testers there can be hit or miss. Sephora's will be right out there for you to try without having to bother with asking a SA for each tester.

can you bring testers home with you? I've seen those real little things, do they have those there?

Thumbs up Re: Macy's or Sephora?

Quote Originally Posted by tww47 View Post
    can you bring testers home with you? I've seen those real little things, do they have those there?

I would tend to doubt it. Ask for a sample of each. They don't have Live Jazz or M7. With those 2 your best bet is to go to a Perfumania. Sephora also sells atomizers. If you have a friend that wears cologne you can spray some of his stuff in them. A major plus for Sephora.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cade by L'Occitane

is sephora generally more expensive than online? The convenience of buying there would be nice but I don't want to spend to much over what I could get it online for.

Yes, as you're pretty much paying full retail price as opposed to the discounts you see online.

As far as your original question, I'd definitely put in my vote for Sephora as well. The SAs there (at least in my experiences there) haven't been pushy and are more than willing to make you samples of fragrances you're interested in.

is sephora generally more expensive than online? The convenience of buying there would be nice but I don't want to spend to much over what I could get it online for.
    "Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better" - Robert Redford

Go to both, if they're in the same mall. Be confident; ask for samples. In many Macy's (and other department stores) the men's fragrances are separate from the women's fragrances, which can be nice. Sometimes the sales associates selling men's fragrances there have more experience with them--but only sometimes. Sephora will generally have more fragrances. It's a little more low-key and "help-yourself" (which I like). They have a good selection of men's fragrances and generally have helpful staff. I'll put in a word for a high end department store as well, if there is one nearby. I'm thinking of Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, etc. I'd especially recommend checking out such a store if it's in the same mall. Ask for advice and suggestions. The staff there are often well-trained. The prices may be higher--but they may be the same or lower (once in a while, not often). If you find a person there you like, you may have a fragrance adviser for a long time, which can be a wonderful relationship.

My Sephora no longer carries Unforgivable. They do have I Am King, but apparently the original has fallen off the "bestseller" list for them.

If you're looking for advice, someone who can help you find something vague, or what not, I'd go to Macy's. Sephora can be very hit-and-miss. About the best help I've ever gotten there was from the woman who read suggestions out of their little "fragrance finder" guide, which I could've done myself.

Then again, I almost always go to Sephora and to the department store (in my case Dillards, no Macy's in my one-horse town) in the same trip. I go to Sephora and spray a ton of stuff on the little cards (because they make the coffee beans so damned convenient), and then I smell the good ones all the way to Dillards, and then I have a little more interaction at Dillards about what exactly I'm smelling, how unique it is, etc.

Sephora is a bit cheaper on some fragrances, but a bit more expensive on others. Not really a noticeable price difference, overall.
    Last edited by Luke A; 12th March 2009 at 06:36 AM.

Yup, Sephora is probably your best bet, although I do admit that it is a bit unnerving to walk into all that gaggle of females. I generally noticed however that the SA's tend to leave you alone unless you request some help or look completely lost. Macy's SA's I noticed tends to be more pushy or completely inattentive and generally lack extensive knowledge on their products.

I would die to have any of those here in the Netherlands.. We have just a few small ones.
    unico grande amore.

Sephora is the better store for selection and price, but they have no service really. The fragrances line the walls of the store and do not situate around a counter where a Sales Associate would be standing for Q&A. It is a sniff it yourself place for the people who want to be left alone. They will make you samples if you ask(usually).

It is more of a makeup store so you have to block out the strange smells and stuffy atmosphere. Online is almost always cheaper because there are so many more places to look, but the safety of knowing you are getting a 'real' bottle of juice is not always there. At a store like Sephora you can almost always be sure you are getting the correct scent with no modifications.

I never sniff at Macy's because they have a small generic collection that's not worth making the trip for. Other department stores like Bloomingdale's and Neiman Marcus are good for finding the few that you wont see at Sephora.

Good luck. Happy hunting.

Alright so I just got back from the mall. I ended up going to sephora, and the sales associates where real nice. I found it kind of hard to smell what colognes smelled like, those little sample papers don't seem to emit the same smell you get from it when it is on your skin. At first I was spraying them all over my arm haha because I didn't see the strips, so know I smell like a walking scent. I'm glad I did though because know I have a reference to which ones I want. The only ones I got to try off of my list where Angel Men, YSL L'homme, and Burberry London, the others I didn't see anywhere but that's ok because I loved all three of these.

Just a quick question, is YSL L'homme a kind of candy smelling one, because I think I sprayed it on my right hand, but I'm not sure.

Just a quick question, is YSL L'homme a kind of candy smelling one, because I think I sprayed it on my right hand, but I'm not sure.
    It has a bit of a sweet note, maybe vanilla or cotton candy-ish, but its only really in the topnotes. I dont like sweet fragrances (too girly), and i like L'homme. Its almost like a sweet liquor.

If you are polite and joke around with the SAs at Sephora - they will give you endless amounts of samples!

I'm trying to decide which I should buy first, which would you recommend? What are the different times these are good for (what season / day or night out?) Which one would you recommend for a college student?

Burberry London - I loved this one, but just wondering if you think it would be ok for a college student to wear?

YSL L'Homme - Really Liked

Angel Men - I don't remember all that well, but I remember being blown away when I smelt it.

Thanks.

My local Sephora is much, much better than my local Macy's.

At the Sephora, one or, if I'm there a while and they forget that they already greeted me once, two salesfolks come up to tell me to feel free to ask any questions, and then they go away if I don't ask questions. I can spray and sniff to my heart's content, and if I ask for a couple of samples, they always make them for me cheerfully.

The fragrances at Sephora are displayed in alphabetical order by brand, on a "men's wall" and "women's wall", with testers available for most fragrances. It's all clean, organized, easy to deal with.

At my local Macy's, on the other hand, salespeople persistently come up trying to make conversation and persuade me to sniff things I don't want to sniff, and if I make it clear that I'm "just sniffing", they tend to make it clear that they're annoyed with me. Also, the displays are horribly disorganized and cluttered, with the different brands randomly ranged around the department, and stacks of gift sets and stuff making it hard to see.

Sephora is by far my favoriate mass-market fragrance shopping experience. I just wish they'd carry a broader selection and carry niche fragrances, too. (But their selection is better than Macy's.)

Crayfish

I'm trying to decide which I should buy first, which would you recommend?
    Actually, I'd recommend going back to Sephora and asking for samples of up to three of the ones that they have that interest you. They've always been happy to give me samples (though I've never asked for more than three), and you can't beat a sample for really deciding if you like a fragrance. With the sample, you can get a couple of good full-day wearings, undistracted by the sixteen other things that you would be smelling in the store.

I feel faintly guilty about the way I use Sephora - if I'm interested in a fragrance that they have, I sniff it there, I request a sample, and I will generally then buy it at a discount online. But I do make a point of making an occasional full-price purchase there, so I think they make a decent profit from me.

Crayfish

Edited to add: I mean the little sample sprayers with a couple of milliliters of the fragrance, not the sample papers.
    Last edited by Crayfish; 12th March 2009 at 09:33 PM.

I'll probably go back tomorrow anyways, I have to go to the mall to return something. I ended up buying a 1.7 bottle of A*Men from scentiments for something for me to wear on nights out.

What would you recommend I check out for a spring/summer scent?

The scents I have now are Versace Dreamer, and A*Men.
    Last edited by tww47; 12th March 2009 at 09:43 PM.

I'm trying to decide which I should buy first, which would you recommend? What are the different times these are good for (what season / day or night out?) Which one would you recommend for a college student?

Burberry London - I loved this one, but just wondering if you think it would be ok for a college student to wear?

YSL L'Homme - Really Liked

Angel Men - I don't remember all that well, but I remember being blown away when I smelt it.

Thanks.
    Burberry London is fine for a college student. Although, I would reserve it for night time and special occasion/dates. College girls love it though, trust me!

For spring/summer these scents are great for college and girls love them: Givenchy Blue, Kenneth Cole Reaction, Chanel Allure Sport, and Fuel for Life. (I have been complimented on all these almost every occasion I've worn them.)
    Last edited by Regis Philbin; 12th March 2009 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Wüst View Post
    I would die to have any of those here in the Netherlands.. We have just a few small ones.

Sephora is in holland, just not the huge sephora you see in other countries but it is there. Depending on the city you live in douglas and iciparisxl can be huge as well plus you have plenty of niche stores too.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.
    Currently wearing: American Cream by Lush