Code of Conduct
    Off-Scenter

Default Changing of the Guard

Well, it's sunny outside, and the daffodils are blooming, so I've decided that it's spring - in spite of a few recent bouts of hail. (Frogs and darkness anyone? Oh yeah, we have that already, it's the Pacific Northwest...) . Some scents are going back to the barracks for the summer, and some are coming out to join the guard.

Leaving:

Eau Lente
    Patou pour Homme
    Or Black
    Ambre Sultan
    Aomassaï
    Botrytis
    Mandarine-Mandarin
    Chêne
    Basala
    Habanita
    Intrigant Patchouli
    Knize Ten
    Santal Noble
    Ténéré
    Yerbamaté

Arriving:

Aoud Cuir d'Arabie
    Caron pour un Homme
    Ciel
    Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Devin
    Dzongkha
    Eau d'Hermès
    Fou d'Absinthe
    Givenchy III
    Grey Flannel
    Havana
    Idole
    Iris Bleu Gris
    L'Anarchiste
    Parfum d'Habit
    Tea for Two
    Tubéreuse Criminelle
    Une Fleur de Cassie
    Ungaro III
    Virgilio

Most of the departing are sweet rich orientals or heavier leathers. Most of the arrivals are fougères, green scents, and florals. How about your seasona changes?

Default Re: Changing of the Guard

I'm surprised you never reviewed Havana, since you speak of it highly...

You're pulling your Basala What a great summer scent, please reconsider You sure have cohones wearing Parfum d'Habit in summer, you the man
    Last edited by silverbullet; 11th March 2009 at 09:09 PM.

Vibert I could see one wear Eau Lente all year around, and I wouldn't be putting Idole away during the cooler weather either

My rotation is not that seasonal but Aqua di Parma, Lubin's L'Eau Neuve, & Chanel Pour Monsieur are much better during the summer which is all but over over here down under.

So for the cooler weather I'm planning to add to my rotation:

Ambre Sultan, Nasomatto Duro, Musc Ravageur, Montale Blue Amber, & Caravelle Epices.
    Last edited by jathanas; 11th March 2009 at 11:23 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

One thing I now love about living in SE Florida is being able to wear a wide range of fragrances in winter. We can range from the 80s to the 30s in 24 hours during our 3 winter months.
    Last edited by kbe; 11th March 2009 at 11:26 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Your "leaving" and "arriving" lists seem equally "heavy" - especially for Spring in my neck of the woods..
    -

It is still pretty cool here but in another 4-6 weeks

Leaving:
    Burberry London
    Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir
    Envy
    CO Bigelow Bay Rum
    YSL Rive Gauche pour homme
    Opium pour homme
    Obsession

Staying:
    SL Arabie - I can wear this year round

Arriving:
    Masaki M;Men
    AdP Colonia Assoluta
    Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient Poésie de Chine
    TDC Rose Poivree

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I'm surprised you never reviewed Havana, since you speak of it highly...
    Ah, but I have reviewed Havana. The review must just be pretty far down on the page. Hey - wait a minute what happened to my review of Havana???

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Your "leaving" and "arriving" lists seem equally "heavy" - especially for Spring in my neck of the woods..
    Bear in mind that where I live 85 degrees is hot even in the summer. "Spring" means 60-65 degrees.

I think it's fair to say that my "arriving" scents are by and large less sweet and spicy, and more green and floral, than may "departing" scents. And some of those that are leaving are reeeeaaally heavy: Aomassaï, Mandarine-Mandarin, Botrytis, Basala...
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 12th March 2009 at 12:48 AM.

T42 is arriving? isnt that more like a fall to winter scent? you know i was going to buy that one but said to myself you know i better wait till next fall......i think its something about chai that reminds me of october.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Vibert I could see one wear Eau Lente all year around, and I wouldn't be putting Idole away during the cooler weather either ...
    One could, but I'm always looking for an excuse for variety...

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    T42 is arriving? isnt that more like a fall to winter scent? you know i was going to buy that one but said to myself you know i better wait till next fall......i think its something about chai that reminds me of october.
    You know, I originally did buy Tea for Two as a cold weather scent, but it's so citrus filled and transparent to my nose that I use it as a spring-fall alternative to orientals like Eau Lente, Musc Ravageur, and Botrytis. Silly me!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 12th March 2009 at 01:05 AM.

I haven't worn any citrus fragrances since it was last hot out, which in Texas was in November. Those come back in the rotation, along with the lighter colognes. Not too much goes 'out', because if I couldn't wear certain fragrances because it was summer I'd be stuck only wearing those fragrances 2-3 months a year. I try to stay in as much A/C as possible, thus obviating the problem of being in the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Ah, but I have reviewed Havana. The review must just be pretty far down on the page. Hey - wait a minute what happened to my review of Havana???
    Donated to another site ?
    Last edited by narcus; 12th March 2009 at 05:31 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

The weather here in Houston has been getting warm, and I also wonder if Habit Rouge is wearable in the Spring. It is really powdery on me...kind of reminiscent of Penhaligon's Racquets.

It is also one of my Lenten goals this year to simplify my wardrobe and get rid of some of my collection. So in this case, I've also made it a point to list colognes I definitely plan on buying again and again. So far I have a trinity:

Habit Rouge by Guerlain (debatable. I don't like it as much as the Vetiver or the Bois. But it was a gift to me from my wife. It just comes off on me like pure powder and lemonwood.)

Vetiver by Guerlain

Bois du Portugal by Creed

The rest I'll just keep decants of.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

The weather here is simply too nasty and cool to be thinking of green frags yet. But I'm wearing Fraîche Badiane today, so you can't say I'm not trying .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I'm putting away only a sparse few for spring:

Dunhill 1934
    Trumper Spanish Leather
    Rochas Lui

Otherwise, most of my cool weather fragrances will remain in rotation, as warm weather will last into November here. The scents that have been resting but will see lots of use in spring:

Musgo Real No. 2 Oak Moss
    Trumper Wild Fern
    Beene Bowling Green
    YSL Live Jazz (it really shines in heat and humidity, but the green and herbal notes do good things in spring)

Regards,
    T

Blog Entries

DC is a strange place. Just this past weekend it was up in the 70s and no humidity. Tuesday was mid 60s and humid and now tomorrow they're calling for a snow flurry in the morning. But spring/summer are trying to come through with means away with the heavy scents.

Left:
    Burberry London
    Pi
    Code

Soon to be Using:
    Live Jazz
    Happy for Men
    Zenga Z
    Man eau fraiche
    Last edited by reneirwold878; 12th March 2009 at 05:06 PM.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

For me this is one of the best periods of fragrance wear: I pull out the florals.

Not exclusively, mind you, but as the earth smells wet and you get damp growth in your nostrils just walking around, I ache for Diptyque's Olene, some of the lighter rose scents, and a bunch I'll need to pull out of the boxes to remember. I've still got most of my collection boxed away after moving last year. I still haven't found a storage cabinet to make them more available.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Probably not using: Patchouli Patch, Knize 10, JHL
    Wearing for warmer weather: Eau de Rochas pour Homme, Msr. Balmain, and my regulars,Yatagan, Versace l' Homme, The Dreamer, Signoricci, eau Torride and, especially, R de Capucci. Also have rediscovered and really enjoy L' eau par Kenzo pour Homme.
    Undecided about: L' air du desert Marocain. Love it but don't feel comfortable with it in warm humid weather.
    Last edited by fraddicted; 12th March 2009 at 05:58 PM.

Yes, springtime is (almost) there! I love that transition when you can fully 'rediscover' all the fragrances that don't seem very fitting in winter.

When it comes to my warmer scents there are some I also enjoy during the summer, but I'll probably not be wearing these too often in hot weather:
    Ambre Fétiche
    Chergui
    Rive Gauche PH
    Royal Delight

I'm looking forward especially to getting these in heavier rotation:
    L'Homme de Coeur
    Gris Clair
    Melograno
    Eau d'Hadrien/Hadrien Absolu
    Un Jardin Sur le Nil
    Eau Illuminee
    Jicky
    Dilmun

And something tells me I need to add a light floral; I'm thinking of Goutal's Le Chèvrefeuille.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

The temps have been slowly rising here as well, although this season has been unusually mild. I don't actually put them away but I haven't been able to wear these are a little bit now.

Tobacco Vanille
    Spiriteuesse Double Vanille

Like KBE said in South Florida winter days can be in the 80's so I never did put the summer fragrances away.

[QUOTE=dredmahawkus;1458360]T42 is arriving? isnt that more like a fall to winter scent? [/QUOTE

I thought the same thing and while it is too hot to wear T4T in full on summer where I live, I find it is perfect for rainy days.

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    I'm putting away only a sparse few for spring:

Dunhill 1934
    Trumper Spanish Leather
    Rochas Lui

Otherwise, most of my cool weather fragrances will remain in rotation, as warm weather will last into November here. The scents that have been resting but will see lots of use in spring:

Musgo Real No. 2 Oak Moss
    Trumper Wild Fern
    Beene Bowling Green
    YSL Live Jazz (it really shines in heat and humidity, but the green and herbal notes do good things in spring)

Regards,
    T
    Tboner, I read a review of another frag (can't remember which one) that had Neroli and the reviewer said it was a winter time scent. I have never tried Rochas Lui but I notice it also has Neroli as a note and that you are putting it away for the warmer months. Is Neroli a cooler weather note? Or is it the vanilla that makes it a winter time frag?

Thanks

Due to my California home
    I wear my whole wardrobe whenever!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Maxpower,

It's the vanilla, cedar, and patchouli in the basenotes that make it a cool weather scent. To tell the truth, I have to rotate in some cool weather scents in warm weather or I'd never wear my favorites here in TX. Neroli, I think - based on admittedly limited experience - can be used as a topnote for warmer or cooler fragrances. It's floral, yet there is a slight fruitiness to it, and either angle can be accentuated; plus, it can sit atop a wide variety of heart notes and basenotes.

Regards,
    T

There seem to be 4 seasonal changes to my wardrobe due to the extreme weather shifts we have here. I won't get into ultra fresh scents or crisp citrus until the late spring and early summer with the arrival of hot. But as we move from winter to spring, there is definitely a call for something with a bit more life to it.

In the past month I'm putting away WINTER scents that seem to share a heavier patina of wizened greatness about them such as: Or Black, Kolnisch Juchten, Macassar, Black Aoud, Eau des Ilies, Paestum Rose, Cuir Mauresque, Ambre Fetische, Ajne Om, C&S Cuba, Versace L' Homme.

Bringing out the SPRING scents that show a glimmer of emerging life such as: Baume du Doge, Declaration Essence, Tuberose Criminelle, Homage, Dans Tes Bras, Yerbamate, Corinto Vetiver, Encense et Lavande, Navegar, Wall Street, Kyoto, English Leather, Cuir de Oranger, Azzaro ph, Villoresi Uomo, Rive Gauche ph, Lothantique Patchouli, Hindu Grass, Eau de Campagne.

I'll hold off on ultra fresh, citrus, and really light florals until the hot weather gets here in another month.

It is interesting, and not just from this thread, how for some Rive Gauche is a Winter frag and for others it is a summer frag.

Max, I agree. I have noticed that wide variability in terms of when people say they wear it. I like it year-round. I tried it first in summer, and I really like the way it responds to heat. In fact, it also responds quite well to body heat and is an excellent scent for working out. I can see where for some it might be suffocating in heat, depending on how your skin and patchouli interact, but I love it. On the other hand, in winter it seems quite warming.

Regards,
    T