Code of Conduct

Default The best warm weather fragrances

Which heavier scents work well in spring/summer? I have been looking at polo double black and explorer. Would they work in warm weather?

Default Re: The best warm weather fragrances

I have both Double Black and Explorer, and I would say that Explorer is better in warm weather. Double black won't get cloying or anything in warm weather, but its more dressy/cold weather scent IMO. Explorer reminds me of outdoors. It has a nice orange smell over woods.

I like Creed's Green Valley.

I have Explorer and tend to think of it as an all-around scent that seems slightly more geared to cold weather. The heavy perfumey nature of Explorer just feels more at home in winter to me.
    For summer scents I would heavily recommend citrus or aquatic scents. These don't usually become overbearing like orientals and very woody scents can. Bulgari Aqua, Eau d'Orange Vert, Baby Blue Jeans, Mugler Cologne, Kenneth Cole Reaction, I Am King, and Fougeres Marines are a few decent examples.
    You also may want to consider an aromatic fougere, as there are plenty out there that are on the non-cloying end of the spectrum.
    Last edited by danho; 12th March 2009 at 06:30 PM.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Can't comment on the Polos, but I can say that Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet, while usually a cold weather scent for me, can smell just incredible in the heat of summer.

Regards,
    T

This will be my first summer where I've had a ton of fragrances at my disposal. I'm particularly looking forward to:

Live Jazz
    M7 Fresh
    L'Anarchiste

Versace L homme
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I think Polo Black would work, but DB would be a stretch. My favorite summer scents are Kenneth Cole Reaction , Millesime Imperial, and L'eau d'Issey.
    Last edited by Regis Philbin; 12th March 2009 at 07:48 PM.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

DB is quite bad to my nose, very much synthetic and cloying. It feels "cheap" every time I wear it, it is the one that I use when I do not want to use anything.
    (I have nothing against Ralph Laurent, I have Polo classic , polo modern and I had Black and Blue)
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    DB is quite bad to my nose, very much synthetic and cloying. It feels "cheap" every time I wear it, it is the one that I use when I do not want to use anything.
    (I have nothing against Ralph Laurent, I have Polo classic , polo modern and I had Black and Blue)
    I could not agree more. I love the original, like sport, loved blue, can tolerate black, but detest double black. I own them all, but I have worn double black twice. It seems sickly sweet with an overdose of acetone on my skin.
    I do, however, recommend modern reserve for spring/summer. Blue will obviously work well in the summer, but modern reserve would hold up well in any season. I think it has a very good blend of lighthearted depth.

I think we all agree that Kouros is heavy - it's beautiful in summer. Other heavy scents work for me only in summer nights and when there is some spicyness in them.

Why heavy oak moss / musk scents for summer? That's paradoxical. you ought where those in winter. for summer i heard Polo Black (not double), issey miyake, and Escada Sunset Heat are all awesome.

the one scent that is so versatile and so easy for any time of the day or any season for that matter is Tommy Bahama Cologne in the Brown bottle. That is the awesomest of them all.
    Last edited by Dudester!; 12th March 2009 at 11:21 PM.

When you need a break from aquatics and like fragrances...For example, on a summer night out, what do you wear?

Quote Originally Posted by bosati05 View Post
    When you need a break from aquatics and like fragrances...For example, on a summer night out, what do you wear?
    Aquatics are not the only light scents. Citrus or vetiver frags would be natural during summer.

Quote Originally Posted by bosati05 View Post
    If it is ladies you are after Allure Sport or Fuel for Life.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

- Wings

- Black XS

- Chrome

- Echo

I think Cravache works very well in warm weather. It maintains its spicy/patchouli complexity but has enough citrus to feel light and airy.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

my summer wardrobe is going to be red vetyver cuba MI wall st mure et musc extreme mure et musc cologne .....just to mention a couple
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Original Santal can work quite well as a casual summer scent, as long as you're easy with the trigger. Same thing with Green Irish Tweed.

I almost forgot! M7 fresh! It stands out, it's a "heavy hitter" as far as "light" scents go, AND it has a drydown very similar to M7, light, smokey, a little sweet, a little bit of wonderful!

My shout is for Hugo Energise or CK1... two long lasting and summery scents.
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle, cKBe & cK1

I like what I like, so sue me!

For the warmest of days, when everything in your wardrobe seems too heavy, Hugo XY is a nice choice. It's a light and simple minty, icy composition.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Allure Sport or Versace PH are great warm weather scents. I actually find Dior Homme to be great in warm weather as well, as long as it is applied in moderation

Basenotes Institution

Agree with the Kouros recommendation. I will add another: Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens.

Bowling Green (Geoffrey Beene)

This is a wonderful Summer fragrance with a medium-strong presence. It is definitely not light.

Red Vetyver shines in warm weather as does Yuzu Rouge.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I love fig fragrances in summer, especially Diptyque's Philosykos.

Good in warm weather yet somewhat rich and definitely long lasting is Hugo By Hugo Boss its fruity but has some masculine tones in there to set it apart and dirty it a bit. For a night out, you can get away with Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy, just don't apply to much its very rich and long lasting.

Not sure if Aramis Havana fits the bill, but I really like that one in the heat

Quote Originally Posted by dmcneill View Post
    I love fig fragrances in summer, especially Diptyque's Philosykos.
    I agree. One also great for summer is Virgin Island Water-magic

If you are looking for a Summer fragrance with good longevity, check out Chanel Allure Homme Sport. Also try Issey Miyake Pour Homme (L'eau D'issey) but I have lost my taste for this one. YSL L'Homme might work as well.

Greenergy

Creed Himalaya

nautica voyage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    Why heavy oak moss / musk scents for summer? That's paradoxical. you ought where those in winter. for summer i heard Polo Black (not double), issey miyake, and Escada Sunset Heat are all awesome.

the one scent that is so versatile and so easy for any time of the day or any season for that matter is Tommy Bahama Cologne in the Brown bottle. That is the awesomest of them all.
    I have a bottle of TB that is 99% full. Interested in a trade?

Green Irish Tweed works well in the summer as does Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme.

GIT is awesome, but would everyone agree that it's too weak in the cold????