Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 1 "Cuckoo for Coco"

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Plagued by the thought that I must be missing something, I put the contents of the vial into a small atomiser. Woah! What a difference....I now smell grapefruit zest in the opening, the green smell is not so reminiscent of green peppers any more, but of MINT and a somewhat mineral note added itself to the group of top notes.
    Is the mint perhaps paired with basil?
    How prominent is the pepper? You mentioned Poivre Piquant as a sort of smell alike.
    I've got two different scents in mind at the moment.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

LIB and mikeperez, I, too, am having trouble making any olfactory connection to Coco.
    The one and only factor in common would be a citrus note.

Perhaps it is a name connection, and not a note connection... Like a perfume by the same name of a house designer?

Also, I am waiting for Twolf to comment about pepper. I still smell some form of pepper in here.
    Besides pepper, the only other note that comes across to me as dry and lemon-pepper sharp is frankincense.

And we have yet to deal with the sour "pickled" smell that I interpret as pimento. which Asha suggested might be vetiver. 'Tis possible.

Hey, the wood might be cyprus. Does anyone think it is Annick Goutal Mandragore? (However, that disproves my theory about a name connection with Coco.) Notes: bergamot, black pepper, spearmint, star anis oil, pink peppercorn, ginger and sage. Hmmm. No grapefruit.

Or mybe it's something from Comme de Garcons.
    Does anyone have any samples or memory of those houses to check against Sample B?
    Last edited by purplebird7; 16th March 2009 at 11:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Comme de Garcons is a good guess. It is not Mandragore. That has a strong mint-like note that is burned in my memory. Not this. (I have a sample)

The only citrus mint I've run across is Miller Harris Citron Citron but it has basil paired with the mint and that's why i was asking about that one.
    My other thought is Montale Red Vetyver because it has the grapefruit and pepper described and it has also been known to give off a phantom chocolate note. But I've never encountered mint when wearing it.

Because neither fits I'm pretty sure they're both wrong.

Blog Entries

There is a vague fruit top note, I'm guessing bergamot. And since the only other strong note I get is almond, it presents as marzipan in the end with a soft cedar in the center. The whole scent is really soft. I am giving a wild guess based on notes only b'cs I've never smelled it - L'Instant Magic. I don't know the connection to 'Coco', though.

Top notes - Bergamot
    Middle - Rose, Fresia
    Base - White Musk, Cedar, Sandalwood, Almond
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th March 2009 at 12:05 AM.

Thanks for chiming in, kumquat.
    The reason I suggested CdGs is because many of them contain these notes:
    Unusual woods: bamboo, wenge, cedar, palisander, mahogany, agarwood, redwood, elemi, guiaic, ebony, kashmir, pine, hinoki, birch, teak, cyprus, and Georgian wood.
    Distinctive greens: vetiver, mint, tea, mate
    Zesty spices: ginger, black pepper, chili pepper, pink pepper, and pimento
    Dry or aromatic notes: camphor and frankincense.

The only problem is, I've never smelled any of them.
    Sure, I've smelled some of these notes before, in other products, but never a CdG fragrance.
    Many of their series are predominantly dry and woody fragrances.

The connection to Coco? Nothing.
    I'm grabbing at straws here.
    Besides, Twolf asked what flowers we smell. I'm not registering much in the way of florals, is anyone else homing in on a particular flower? Orris and linden have been mentioned, and that's as far as I could guess, both of them being rather atypical of florals (unlike jasmine or rose.)
    Last edited by purplebird7; 17th March 2009 at 12:50 AM.

Basenotes Institution

It is not Terre de Hermes - although B does have that grapefruit/basil/saffron or pimento thing at the top.

It is not something from Comme des Garcons - I have smelled almost the entire line.

It is NOT AA Figue Iris (B is not that sweet).

I smelled Sel de Vetiver a LONG time ago, but I'm thinking it can't be that one since B really smells like NO vetiver scent. And the salty aspect of it isn't the same as I remember from SdV.

From looking at the L'Instant Magic pyramid I don't think that's it either - I smell NO rose or almond.

purplebird and LIB - doesn't is smell slighty watery (aquatic) when you sniff it from the vial (not on skin)? Very lightly?

I have NO idea about the 'Cuckoo for Coco' connection in B.

Gosh - this one's hard.

Basenotes Institution

TWolf - is the bottle clear?

Is the perfumer Marc Buxton?

Yes, mikeperez, I would venture to say aquatic, in a cucumbery or salty way.
    This fragrance does not remind me of sweet, peachy, rosey, vanillic Coco at all, so I'm digging for a word connection.
    Sel de Vetiver? I've never smelled it. I could be convinced that it comes from The Different Company. They use all sorts of interesting notes, and their perfumes are rather transparent. All I've ever smelled is their Osmanthus, though.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 17th March 2009 at 01:03 AM.

TDC Osmanthus is quite like Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan--tea-like, peachy, floral, leather.

There are some "pickle note" hints in the Smells like Vegetables thread.

You might want to take a peek at TDC's UN PARFUM DES SENS ET BOIS, by Celine Ellena (no one said that she isn't the nose). Just to rule it out, if nothing else. Some of the observations make me think of it, and many of the notes seem like they fit. But there's no orris.

The CO CO thing is interesting... could it be word-related?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Yes, mikeperez, I would venture to say aquatic, in a cucumbery or salty way.
    This fragrance does not remind me of sweet, peachy, rosey, vanillic Coco at all, so I'm digging for a word connection.
    Sel de Vetiver? I've never smelled it. I could be convinced that it comes from The Different Company. They use all sorts of interesting notes, and their perfumes are rather transparent. All I've ever smelled is their Osmanthus, though.
    I've tried all of them including The newest Sublime Balkiss, it is much stronger and totally different than this. This is not TDC. I would bet on that.
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th March 2009 at 01:51 AM.

I recall Mike saying TDC UPdSeB smelled like Cartier Declaration (Fougere?)...herbal woody, not very floral from what I could tell, but who knows how the others perceive it!

Blog Entries

The main thing I get is this marzipan note. It feels pink to me (I'm synesthetic, I guess) that could be rose or fresia or heliotrope) as it has that Play-doh note, too. The citrus top-note which is soft, could be bergamot, and the woody note you all talk about, seems like a very soft cedar. I don't think it is as strong as wenge, and there is NO hint of incense. This is a really soft, wimpy scent.
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th March 2009 at 02:01 AM.

Hmm...playdoh makes me think about SL Datura Noir.
    Last edited by Asha; 17th March 2009 at 02:25 AM.

If it's definitely not an incense fragrance, that would eliminate the TDC Des Sens et Bois, then. Marzipan, playdoh, and wimpy. Who knows???

Blog Entries

Well, I'm sticking with L'Instant Magic. It has rose & bergamot in common with Coco Mademoiselle which is similar in feel to this light girly fragrance. And, to further connect to the Coconut theme, the almond in L'Instant Magic is also a nut. TA DA! That's my final answer.

p.s.Haunanai, I haven't tried Secret Datura. I think that is a strong floral. This isn't really floral, to me anyway. Plus the juice is almost clear.

Kumquat, I tried L'Instant Magic--it is very sweet and powdery vanilla in the drydown, and I never smelled a play-doh note at any point. It is a much different frag in the early stages, tho. I have seen it compared to L'Heure Bleu for only the top and early mid notes.

Since I am not sniffing I can't know for sure, but I doubt it is L'Instant Magic. You would be smelling sweet powder and no pimento. If there is pepper in it, it is very subtle. You would also know it is a Guerlain. Ah, also the juice is pink.
    Evenstar

Kumquat, I just sprayed L'Instant Magic from a sample and we can rule it out...it's as far away from Sample B as the moon is from the earth.

Mike, I defined it as painted in watercolours, although I don't smell anything definitely aquatic or marine in there
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 17th March 2009 at 05:28 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Jumping in here (sorry I didn't do it sooner - just got back to my 'puter after dealing with some minor -um- circumstances) cuz I think Wolfie's having 'puter problems.

Sort of a hint? LIB's circled closely around the heart of the matter without actually alighting....and, from my own experience, I would try spritzing ...generously.... to experience the full effect. Go for them heart notes.....

P.S. Wonderful to see so many contributers....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Ooh, I may have a guess!
    How prominent is the citrus on top? Is it mainly citrus or can you clearly distinguish the other notes along with it? How sweet is it?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Basenotes Institution

I'm confused kumquat - how did you get a sample of B? I thought purplebird, L_I_B and I were the only ones with blind samples but reading your comments above it sounds like you're sniffing B too.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Ooh, I may have a guess!
    How prominent is the citrus on top? Is it mainly citrus or can you clearly distinguish the other notes along with it? How sweet is it?
    The citrus is at the very first spray evident, and then it recedes quickly. I would not call it citrus prominent, in the top notes.

It is not very sweet at all.

Blog Entries

Purplebird gave me some of hers.

Hm, then I think I must have been mistaken. I was thinking Escale a Portofino, what with the citrus-woods-almonds, but that one is unmistakably lemony for a while.
    A mystery, this one.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Purplebird gave me some of hers.
    Ah! Now I understand.

Hm, then I think I must have been mistaken. I was thinking Escale a Portofino, what with the citrus-woods-almonds, but that one is unmistakably lemony for a while.
    A mystery, this one.
    No, it's definitely not Escale a Portofino, there's not a noticeable orange blossom at all in B.

Not prominent. Not sweet. In fact, I thought it was cedar at first.
    I notice that we are focusing on top notes. I think that grapefruit must be the topnote and the fruit note because LIB positively identified grapefruit (and possibly mint) when she spritzed, and Tao Lady affirmed that spritzing was the right technique.

Now, according to Tao Lady, the main clue is in the heart notes. And we have not identified a floral heart yet. Perhaps this is the key to the identity of this fragrance.

Let's start guessing flowers and let her eliminate them.
    I will start by saying rose. Why? Because it is the only one I can imagine that has something in common with Coco.

Is there rose in Sample B?

Blog Entries

I will take another stab at this: Eclat D'Arpege Summer
    Top - Litchi (almond) Starfruit, Lemon, Grapefruit
    Heart - Rose*, Jasmine*, Violet
    Base - Light Musk*, Vanilla*, Cedar, Praline
    Stars beside notes shared with Coco Mademoiselle EDT

Sorry, I left you all hanging. Right now I am posting from our village library and hoping I do have enough time reserved.

We are between the Internet providers, so I hope to be online soon. From home. At 3 am in the morning or any time as I d*** please. Sorry about that again!

Thanks to tang and Miss Tao, I will give you telephone call (you Miss Tao) as soon as I get home.

Thanks to everybody for chiming in with your thoughts and suggestions. I really appreciate them all.

Not TDC.

Not every single cedar note equals dill pickles on my skin. Sometimes it is vetiver that does. Kudos for purplebird7's detective work. Sometimes it is other woods (still trying to figure out mastic wood, sycomore and many many more).

Connection with Coco -- OK, guys, since there is no chocolate, coconuts, spicy oriental notes, or other phantoms here, let's go straight and clear: could it be a Chanel? Could it be Polge for Chanel? We sort of all figured it out: high(er) end, but I have never said that some designers can't pose as niche (Donna Karan, Armani, etc).

Could it be L'Artisan?

In general: French or Italian? Japanese or American?

One question still remains: how dry is this scent in your opinion?

Very nice tip from Miss Tao: LIB's insights have sort of penetrated into this fragrance's heart.

Gotta run to SotD.

Love you all.

Basenotes Institution

LIB mentioned a connection to Poivre Piquant and Santal Blanc (which, I completely do not smell at all!) and this made me think the sample was a L'Artisan - which is why I posed the question last night, 'TWolf, is the bottle clear?' To me PP smelled like milk and pepper, and it kind of grossed me out. Same for Santal Blanc - the fenugreek smelled like sour vegetables. Blech. Is it a L'Artisan TWolf?

I don't smell rose in B purplebird. Like I said before it's more of a unique floral note, I thought it was narcissus (which BTW, I generally don't like).

It smells European to my nose (not American).

Dry? Well, it's semi-dry...I guess. (?)

TWolf - was this scent released in 2002?

Let's see... Jacques Polge for Chanel? Smells like pickles?
    Is it No. 18? Ambrette, rose, and iris.
    kumquat, please check your sample.
    But wait, that goes against the decision that this is a "niche" sample.
    Okay, here's a thought. What Chanel perfumer has worked for a niche perfumery? I don't know of any.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 17th March 2009 at 10:03 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Is it No. 18? ..
    I thought No. 18 had noticeable aldehydes? I don't smell any aldehydes in B.

Is it Chance Eau Fraiche (thus my question above to TWolf about the scent being released in 2002, when CEF was)?

Is it No. 18? Ambrette, rose, and iris.
    kumquat, please check your sample.
    But wait, that goes against the decision that this is a "niche" sample.
    Okay, here's a thought. What Chanel perfumer has worked for a niche perfumery? I don't know of any.
    I guess Les Exclusifs could be considered "niche" because of the tight distribution. Also the perfumers would be Jacques Polge and Christopher Sheldrake, right?
    I don't know if sample B is No. 18, but the opening of No. 18 smells like pickles to me (albeit very soft and nice pickles), the perfume has iris and rose.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    ...I don't know if sample B is No. 18, but the opening of No. 18 smells like pickles to me (albeit very soft and nice pickles), the perfume has iris and rose.
    No. 18 smells like pickles to me, too, but not in a good way. I didn't like it. FWIW, it didn't seem very aldehydic to me.

Isn't Bel Respiro woody and green? It has been so long since I last tried it....

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Isn't Bel Respiro woody and green? It has been so long since I last tried it....
    I know it's not Bel Respiro. B is not as 'milky green' as the Chanel is.

There were two other "pickle" fragrances in the Smells Like Vegetables thread...

The ones mentioned in the Smells Like Vegetables thread were Chanel No. 18 (which I guessed) Nahema (which it is not) and The Unicorn Spell (which it is not). But thanks for your suggestion. This is a tough one, and we guessers need all the help we can get.
    And it isn't Bel Respiro, I can vouch for that.
    No responses from Tao Lady on the latest guesses yet...
    Last edited by purplebird7; 18th March 2009 at 12:25 PM.

Blog Entries

I apologize for throwing everyone off track, but I'm still getting a soft almond or heliotrope note. Vanilla & soft wood, too could be in there. Because this is so light, I thought L'artisan is a possibility. So here's a guess. Again - I've never smelled this and it's new, Jour de Fete

Almond. pink laurel, wheat, bourbon vanilla, orris, cedarwood
    Last edited by kumquat; 18th March 2009 at 03:37 PM.

Ach, kumquat, my friend. I don't think we discussed this latest guess last night, or I would have told you that I smelled Jour de Fete in Kansas City on my ill-fated trip to that snobby Hall's department store where the SAs kept bidding me "good evening" in an attempt to dislodge me from the L'Artisan counter. Or, wait, maybe it was a sample from Perfumed Court. Regardless, it's not Jour de Fete because I definitely could smell the almond/PlayDoh in that one. I liked it. It was yummy. Sample B is far more tart. What about those Japanese fragrances you were considering?
    kumquat and I thought Sample B is closer to having Japanese sensibilities than Italian, or even French. She is experienced with the offerings of many Italian houses, and we both agreed that they are much heavier than this sample.
    Tao Lady? The guesses are piling up here. I'm hoping you will tune in.
    We're self-moderating, suggesting and turning down each other's guesses.
    I'd hate to assume that I'm correct and then be wrong.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 18th March 2009 at 10:04 PM.

Blog Entries

I looked again at the Keiko Mecheri, they all look too sweet to me.

Have you tried Drole de Rose? I haven't:
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...ection=1&rv=on

Dang.
    P.S. Drole de Rose is very rosy and fruity. Markedly floral.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 19th March 2009 at 11:52 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Double dang!

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    ...Have you tried Drole de Rose? I haven't:
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...ection=1&rv=on
    I've tried Drole de Rose. My notes say that I found it to be a rather dull, soft floral. And medium-sweet, if I'm remembering correctly. Here are the notes:

Rose Buds, Aniseed, Orange Blossom, Rose Petals, White Iris, Violet, Almond, Honey, Rose Powder, Leather

Some of this fits, but I don't know what could cause a pickle, wood, or pepper impression here. Or fruit, for that matter, unless the honey gives that sense.

Ya sure y'all have the same vial here??? This game is tricky, and I'm getting nervous about trying it in July.

P.S. Some of you were looking at Keiko Mecheri. I own a bottle of her Ume. It is not ultra-sweet - there is a sweet & sour thing going on. The fragrance is actually meant to evoke a plum that is used in Japanese cuisine. This plum salted/pickled. Hmm...

Here are the notes for Ume: Persimmon, Peach Leaves, Citrus, Wisteria, Peony, Jasmine, Osmanthus, Hinoki, Mahogany, Moss

I have the old formulation in a clear bottle. It is a light golden/straw color.

Until twolf or Taolady tune in I feel like a dog chasing its tail.

I finally got caught up, after coming back from vacation. I see that things have kind of stalled!

But here's my guess for Sample B:

citrus opening, "white chocolate" (which I just don't smell, but it's supposed to be in there), cedar, wimpy longevity and sillage

translates to Bulgari Omnia to me (which I love, by the way)

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Connection with Coco -- OK, guys, since there is no chocolate, coconuts, spicy oriental notes, or other phantoms here, let's go straight and clear: could it be a Chanel?
    But if as Twolf says, there is "no chocolate" then it can't be Bulgari Omnia. I have no other guesses. I have smelled Haunani's Ume, and I don't remember any cedar in it. Peachy fruity goodness, but no cedar.
    Last edited by Aiona; 19th March 2009 at 01:53 AM.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Aiona, do you also have a Sample B or are you guessing from our comments?

Guys, the last scents mentioned all seem much too sweet or too floral to me to be the misterious Sample B!
    I have been sniffing it so long and so intensely that I'm hallucinating and smelling phantom notes everywhere and also a very slight leathery facet.
    My last additions are violet leaves and oakmoss.
    To me it smells French, avantguarde.

Grapefruit, pepper, mint, violet leaves, a honeyed flower (I said linden blossom, but mimosa could also be a choice...not powdery) or honey, orris, oakmoss, sandalwood. That's what I smell at the moment.
    And according to Tao and TWolf, I was supposed to be circling around it and piercing through the heart of it. Huh?

Gosh, we need a hint.
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 19th March 2009 at 05:57 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Aiona, do you also have a Sample B or are you guessing from our comments?
    No no! I don't have a sample of B. I'm guessing from your comments. "cedar" "citrus" "longevity"

I was trying to tie "chocolate" in with B, and the only thing I could think of was "white chocolate"-Bulgari Omnia (and again, I don't smell white chocolate in Bulgari Omnia unless I pretend really hard).
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Yes, we need hints. I'm following along as best as I can (and taking copious notes..I'll be doing this soon..ACK!!) and frankly I'm thoroughly confused. Not just slightly puzzled. Delirious. Help, moderators!

Sorry guys....drama at the shop...(we got caught trying to sneak out in the dead of night ahead of the sheriff!!!)

Y'all were getting so close and then veered off in a different direction....one "problem" is that, in our directory, there is no pyramid for this frag. And although (in my opinion) she has the refined feel of a classic, she is actually relatively new.

Interestingly, the heart note of this beauty has been the eponymous feature of other 'fumes with the same note these past few days!!

"Numbers. It's what I do."
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Grapefruit, pepper, mint, violet leaves, a honeyed flower (I said linden blossom, but mimosa could also be a choice...not powdery) or honey, orris, oakmoss, sandalwood. That's what I smell at the moment.
    It sounds like something I've never sniffed before. Grapefruit and pepper? Violet leaves? I don't think I've ever smelled linden blossom. Orris? Strange combination.

Is it one of Chanelīs Les Exclusifs?

Quote Originally Posted by musse View Post
    Is it one of Chanelīs Les Exclusifs?
    Yup!

And PurpleBird has even reviewed this one!!

Okay. I already guessed No. 18, but I didn't review that one.
    I just re-applied the wrong sample. Wait.
    Out of the Les Exclusifs, if it's not No. 18, I will have to guess either Sycomore (but my sample was much smokier) or 28, La Pausa (but my sample was sweeter.)
    Let the other members vote and make the final guess.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 19th March 2009 at 12:22 PM.

Okay. I already guessed No. 18.
    Wait, could it be Beige--which I forgot was Les Exclusifs because it was released later?
    That one I thought had "tangy spring flowers."
    I've read several reviews of that fragrance, and people smell different things. Most people agreed that it was abstract. Indeed we cited notes such as honey, wood, pepper, pickle, or almond. And all of us had trouble identifying the fruit, which might be influenced by the frangippani.
    Final answer. If I'm wrong, let others make the correct guess.
    Not Beige.

Sorry Tao Lady.
    I had to go back and edit.
    I put the wrong sample on, which I had out because I was testing one thing against another. My fault.
    I will not claim the answer even if I get it. Don't say, and let everyone guess today.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 19th March 2009 at 12:25 PM.

Sorry Tao Lady.
    I had to go back and edit.
    I put the wrong sample on, which I had out because I was testing one thing against another. My fault.
    I will not claim the answer even if I get it. Don't say, and let everyone guess today.
    You can pm your guess to me with a cc to Wolfie, who will prolly be checking in today.

Carry on all y'all!!