Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 1 "Cuckoo for Coco"

Is it a scent from that Body Fantasies line from Parfumes do Coeur?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is it a scent from that Body Fantasies line from Parfumes do Coeur?
    I saw those at CVS pharmacy today. I almost PMd Twolf about it. Maybe I should.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 15th March 2009 at 05:20 AM.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Mikeperez almost got it! The house is correct (without an "e", it is supposed to be French ) and they all come in plastic bottles, right?

Now guys, please go to their site, establish a connection with Victoria's Secret (sex sells! ) and find the notes. Please also remember about the recent launch factor, and you are there!

Aha! Is it the Sexiest Fantasies - Fireworks?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Basenotes Institution

You got it, Buni! See, sometimes living in an earlier time zone has its advantages. And of course, it is YOUR day today. Happy birthday!

Black bottle, yellow swirls, Longest Lasting Body Spray they say. Not bad at all in my book, and first I wanted Va Va Voom to be Sample A just because of chocolate rum note they specified. But no matter how hard I tired I did not feel it there. That Coco connection in Fireworks was unexpectedly surprising and patchouli is definitely there because Mr.T can't stand Angel (on anybody, not just me!) and his first reaction to Fireworks was "Oh no, not another Angel!".

I remember reading somewhere that all of the Sexiest Fantasies are PdC's take on Victoria Secret's scents, "our version" so to speak, but I cannot confirm or deny it as I am not a regular shopper at VS and not very familiar with their repertoire. However, I shop regularly at CVS!

Out of all Parfums de Coeur I liked Cotton Candy and sadly discontinued Basil-based scent with citrus (bergamot? lime?) opening and grassy green development.
    Last edited by Twolf; 15th March 2009 at 09:02 AM.

Thank you!!!

I am not very proud of this win, since I only put the final touch on a work done by mike - especially - and p-bird.
    But I guess I am allowed to put the cherry on the cake baked by my fellow guessers today

And thanks to sample A I discovered a line which is completely new to me! I must confess I never thought this body spray would be so inexpensive....how do the guys at PdC do it???
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 15th March 2009 at 10:59 AM.

BRAV-O you guys!!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Happy Birthday, LIB!
    And congratulations.
    Sure, it involved teamwork, but that's what this "contest" is about.
    Unless one of us identifies a sample correctly, by smell, right from the start, the correct guess will always be built upon hints and guesses.

Now for Sample B. I'll start the comments.
    This is a clear-colored, thin liquid, not an oil.
    Its character is transparent, woody, fruity, and clean.
    It opens with a big cedar note, or some similar aromatic wood on top. It is quite airy and fresh-smelling. Maybe there is some pepper, too, because it has a dry woodiness, and heat. Perhaps an odd note exists, like pimento, because there also is a certain tanginess. The only similarity I can see to the previous sample is that there is fruit in this one, too. In no way is it creamy and sweet like Sample A.
    What fruit? I do not know. Due to the sweet-sour aroma, I would have to guess some citrus or a tart fruit like apricot.
    I'm going to conjecture that Sample B comes from the niche house because it is way more challenging than the average fragrance.
    The jury's still out on longevity, but I would venture to say that this one won't last long on me due to its transparent nature. The cedar will hold out, but there is nothing providing a deep, earthy, smooth, sweet base--no moist patchouli and labdanum combo--probably only clear musk. This baby's woody and bright.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 15th March 2009 at 01:36 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Yay L_I_B

So...A is supposed to smell like fireworks?

Hmph. Strawberries and cream.
    No way, fireworks.
    Bah.

Basenotes Institution

Yeah, they named plump wild strawberries, succulent peaches (I HAVE to agree with LIB that they are more of pineapple quality) and vanilla (where is vanilla? What type of vanilla?) no less than Fireworks. No fire or any other burnt matter to my nose at all!

On to Sample B:
    -- what type of cedar? Does it create a dill pickle note on your skin?
    -- Tart and sweet? At the same time or in any particular order? Any florals? Can apricots be osmanthus? Or, sweet irises? Or, sweet roses? Or any other flower of your chemistry's choice?
    -- linear? Does it change at all during the wear?
    -- What's the base like?
    -- Does its transparency become muted/powdery or does it stay clear the whole duration?
    -- Any other scents it reminds you of?
    -- Images?
    -- it has some sort of tint, can you put it against the white sheet of paper and turn the light on? Results?
    -- Why do you think I chose it to be included in this round?

Basenotes Institution

Onto B:

-- I like the aromatic character of the top notes (do I smell basil or something cilantro-ish?) and also the fact that this smells entirely unisex. It has a salty aspect that I personally love in scents (think Eau des Merveilles by Hermes) - is it ambergris? I also get the pimento accord - but is perhaps not pimento and instead saffron? What is the floral that I smell? Water lily? Narcissus?
    -- I'd classify this as a fresh / aromatic fragrance
    -- I don't think this is as cedar prominent as purplebird does - however I've been known to not smell cedar in certain fragrances before
    -- I just put it on, I have to report back later on sillage, longevity, etc
    -- The juice is a clear, almost translucent honey color - seems EdT in concentration
    -- It reminds me of something Mediterranean - maybe a bit of Green, green, green & green #3 by Miller et Bertaux with a dash of something salty. It smells like something that is NOT recently released - it might've been released between 5-10 years ago?? It smells very unisex - I'd be surprised if it was a woman's fragrance.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th March 2009 at 06:20 PM.

A quick examination and sniff of Sample B:

Colour: very, very light golden
    Concentration/quality: more oily residue on skin than sample A, an EdT of high quality, probably niche and a relatively recent release (after 2000)

To my nose, the opening it smells very strongly of white pepper and green peppers and tickles my nose. Unlike Purplebird, I don't smell any cedarwood in here , but a certain creaminess in the heart that leads me to believe it's a lighter, less fragrant wood. It is also slightly floral, I'd say I smell orris (although it's not powdery in the least), but then it takes on a honeyed aspect - I agree with mike, this could be either narcissus or even linden flower (!).

The fragrance gives a very light and smooth impression, also the spicy notes are painted in watercolour.
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 15th March 2009 at 07:56 PM.

Basenotes Institution

EdT, for women but I see it as unisex as well, light golden honey color, after 2000, probably high end, aromatic fresh, non-powdery watercolor orris -- all true!
    Last edited by Twolf; 16th March 2009 at 02:38 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Is Kurdkdjian the nose for B ?

Basenotes Institution

No, but there is certain sweetness and a different take on rose in B. Do you think JC Ellena might be a nose? Why?

Back to your initial impressions, Mike: What is so Mediterranean about it? Citrus (what citrus) +woods? A combination of citrus+ green notes + woods? Again, what woods are they?

Would you guys care to wear it in public? Whenever I do, I never fail to get compliments from strangers, BTW.

Is it run-of-the-mill, or unusual? Any other scents it reminds you of (besides Green, Green, Green and Green)?

Mike, in the beginning I get the same bitter-salty note that sometimes opens up as dill pickles on me, but luckily it lasts just about 10 minutes and does not bother me for the rest of fragrance duration.

Basenotes Institution

I think I am calling it Mediterranean because it has a hint of fig (I think) to it. Do I smell grapefruit (for a second) in the top notes? Woods...I'm having a hard time detecting the woods...if I had to say one I'd go with purplebird's cedar. I could see how Ellena could be the nose for this - it's structure reminds me of his treatment he did for the flanker of 24 Faubourg, 24 Faubourg Eau Delicate that has a hushed but pulsating jasmine heart underneath a salty, aromatic base.

Oh yes I would wear this in public. Ray loved it when I made him smell me. He said it smelled like something from Ralph Lauren (?).

It reminds me of Un Jardin Mediteranee by Hermes and a bit like a moss extrait (sorry...I can't remember the name?) that Ruggles sent me a sample of last year.

It is not run-of-the-mill.

The salty smell I described is not dill pickle oriented, it's much more ambregris based. I actually like it and think it enhances the scent well.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 16th March 2009 at 04:12 AM.

Basenotes Institution

LOL at our SOs! Neither JC Ellena, nor for RL! I asked about JCE just to make you guys speak and because you all mentioned transparency, and you said what I wanted to hear -- the word "structure".

OK, we got so far
    Top Notes: citrus (grapefruit?), green notes (basil? pimento? green pepper?), wood (cedar? fig?), salty note;
    Heart Notes: floral (jasmine? rose? narcissus? freesia? waterlily? linden blossom? magnolia? iris?)
    Base Notes: orris, wood, musk.

Does this sound about right? Am I missing something? Am I putting something that does not manifest its presence, in the list?

The house, the nose and the scent itself are in the Directory, but there is just general description and no pyramid. And not that many reviews.

Would you call B -- as a whole -- dry? I know purplebird7 did! :-)

Any guesses from our readers so far or do you need more impressions?
    Last edited by Twolf; 16th March 2009 at 12:19 PM.

Jumping in with a question.

Orris, green, fig?, citrus/grapefruit? Hmm is it Aqua Allegoria Figue-Iris or if not if you've smelled that how is it different?

Blog Entries

twolf has mentioned in the past that cedar comes off as having a dill pickle smell to her so since she has mentioned that again I'm going to go with cedar as the dominant wood note here.
    to the sniffers how dominant is the cedar is it there from beginning to end?
    The grapefruit cedar top has me thinking if it is indeed a true grapefruit cedar top to this.
    Sniffers help me out.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Institution

Now we are talking! Thanks for chiming in, readers!

I had a busy day yesterday and only got around to reading everybody's comments this morning. I'll go back to the proverbial drawing board and consider Sample B again and post some more thoughts after work.

I wonder if it is TDC Sel de Vetiver. Sometimes vetiver can have a woody quality.

Echoing purplebird and apologising..I am having crazy days at work

Quote Originally Posted by whisperingleaves View Post
    Jumping in with a question.

Orris, green, fig?, citrus/grapefruit? Hmm is it Aqua Allegoria Figue-Iris or if not if you've smelled that how is it different?
    I own Figue Iris and to my nose Sample B is not even distantly related. Figue Iris is much sweeter and reminiscent of fig pulp. I do not smell fig - either wood or leaves or fruit - in sample B, and the iris/orris is not as powdery as in Figue Iris.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    twolf has mentioned in the past that cedar comes off as having a dill pickle smell to her so since she has mentioned that again I'm going to go with cedar as the dominant wood note here.
    to the sniffers how dominant is the cedar is it there from beginning to end?
    The grapefruit cedar top has me thinking if it is indeed a true grapefruit cedar top to this.
    Sniffers help me out.
    SMM, cedarwood isn't evident to my nose, at least not in the way it is treated in smells where I normally recognise cedarwood. What is very prominent to me is a white pepper note (as in spice) mixed with a green note (reminds me of green peppers, as in vegetables). There COULD be also a second spice in there. Or what I perceive as green peppers could be the dill pickle note

The scent is dry/green/spicy in the opening, but it dries down to a distinct honeyed and floral note.
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 16th March 2009 at 04:41 PM.

Plagued by the thought that I must be missing something, I put the contents of the vial into a small atomiser. Woah! What a difference....I now smell grapefruit zest in the opening, the green smell is not so reminiscent of green peppers any more, but of MINT and a somewhat mineral note added itself to the group of top notes.

Blog Entries

This isn't Terre D'Hermes is it?
    Although I would expect Mike to know that.
    The grapefruit and mineral description fits TdH.

There may be a little bit of delay with host responses. I believe Twolf may be having some internet connectivity issues, but she's working on a solution!

SMM, nope, I don't think it is Terre (also because Hellena isn't supposed to be the nose of Sample B), but you're righ - the grapefruit/mineral note combo led me back to Terre for a second. Now that I think of it, grapefruit peel has suplhur in it, so it may be the origin for that small mineral note I smelled.
    The drydown is more sandalwood than cedarwood to me nose.
    My brain cells are on override because I cannot find a connection between this scent and the theme of this round

I also came to the conclusion that Sample B smells like a cross between Poivre Piquant and Santal Blanc

Blog Entries

Maybe all the scents are supposed to make you "cuckoo" looking "for coco".
    since the first scent had a "phantom chocolate note" could all of them have the same.
    Although I just realized the "co" could be coeur from Scent A

If there are guesses being PM'd to Twolf, I think I can safely suggest sending or copying them to her co-host, Taolady.
    Twolf may be offline for a day or two.
    Last edited by tang; 16th March 2009 at 09:25 PM.