Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Blog Entries

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 1 "Cuckoo for Coco"

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Plagued by the thought that I must be missing something, I put the contents of the vial into a small atomiser. Woah! What a difference....I now smell grapefruit zest in the opening, the green smell is not so reminiscent of green peppers any more, but of MINT and a somewhat mineral note added itself to the group of top notes.
    Is the mint perhaps paired with basil?
    How prominent is the pepper? You mentioned Poivre Piquant as a sort of smell alike.
    I've got two different scents in mind at the moment.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

LIB and mikeperez, I, too, am having trouble making any olfactory connection to Coco.
    The one and only factor in common would be a citrus note.

Perhaps it is a name connection, and not a note connection... Like a perfume by the same name of a house designer?

Also, I am waiting for Twolf to comment about pepper. I still smell some form of pepper in here.
    Besides pepper, the only other note that comes across to me as dry and lemon-pepper sharp is frankincense.

And we have yet to deal with the sour "pickled" smell that I interpret as pimento. which Asha suggested might be vetiver. 'Tis possible.

Hey, the wood might be cyprus. Does anyone think it is Annick Goutal Mandragore? (However, that disproves my theory about a name connection with Coco.) Notes: bergamot, black pepper, spearmint, star anis oil, pink peppercorn, ginger and sage. Hmmm. No grapefruit.

Or mybe it's something from Comme de Garcons.
    Does anyone have any samples or memory of those houses to check against Sample B?
    Last edited by purplebird7; 16th March 2009 at 11:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Comme de Garcons is a good guess. It is not Mandragore. That has a strong mint-like note that is burned in my memory. Not this. (I have a sample)

Blog Entries

The only citrus mint I've run across is Miller Harris Citron Citron but it has basil paired with the mint and that's why i was asking about that one.
    My other thought is Montale Red Vetyver because it has the grapefruit and pepper described and it has also been known to give off a phantom chocolate note. But I've never encountered mint when wearing it.

Because neither fits I'm pretty sure they're both wrong.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Blog Entries

There is a vague fruit top note, I'm guessing bergamot. And since the only other strong note I get is almond, it presents as marzipan in the end with a soft cedar in the center. The whole scent is really soft. I am giving a wild guess based on notes only b'cs I've never smelled it - L'Instant Magic. I don't know the connection to 'Coco', though.

Top notes - Bergamot
    Middle - Rose, Fresia
    Base - White Musk, Cedar, Sandalwood, Almond
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th March 2009 at 12:05 AM.

Thanks for chiming in, kumquat.
    The reason I suggested CdGs is because many of them contain these notes:
    Unusual woods: bamboo, wenge, cedar, palisander, mahogany, agarwood, redwood, elemi, guiaic, ebony, kashmir, pine, hinoki, birch, teak, cyprus, and Georgian wood.
    Distinctive greens: vetiver, mint, tea, mate
    Zesty spices: ginger, black pepper, chili pepper, pink pepper, and pimento
    Dry or aromatic notes: camphor and frankincense.

The only problem is, I've never smelled any of them.
    Sure, I've smelled some of these notes before, in other products, but never a CdG fragrance.
    Many of their series are predominantly dry and woody fragrances.

The connection to Coco? Nothing.
    I'm grabbing at straws here.
    Besides, Twolf asked what flowers we smell. I'm not registering much in the way of florals, is anyone else homing in on a particular flower? Orris and linden have been mentioned, and that's as far as I could guess, both of them being rather atypical of florals (unlike jasmine or rose.)
    Last edited by purplebird7; 17th March 2009 at 12:50 AM.

Basenotes Institution

It is not Terre de Hermes - although B does have that grapefruit/basil/saffron or pimento thing at the top.

It is not something from Comme des Garcons - I have smelled almost the entire line.

It is NOT AA Figue Iris (B is not that sweet).

I smelled Sel de Vetiver a LONG time ago, but I'm thinking it can't be that one since B really smells like NO vetiver scent. And the salty aspect of it isn't the same as I remember from SdV.

From looking at the L'Instant Magic pyramid I don't think that's it either - I smell NO rose or almond.

purplebird and LIB - doesn't is smell slighty watery (aquatic) when you sniff it from the vial (not on skin)? Very lightly?

I have NO idea about the 'Cuckoo for Coco' connection in B.

Gosh - this one's hard.

Basenotes Institution

TWolf - is the bottle clear?

Is the perfumer Marc Buxton?

Yes, mikeperez, I would venture to say aquatic, in a cucumbery or salty way.
    This fragrance does not remind me of sweet, peachy, rosey, vanillic Coco at all, so I'm digging for a word connection.
    Sel de Vetiver? I've never smelled it. I could be convinced that it comes from The Different Company. They use all sorts of interesting notes, and their perfumes are rather transparent. All I've ever smelled is their Osmanthus, though.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 17th March 2009 at 01:03 AM.

TDC Osmanthus is quite like Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan--tea-like, peachy, floral, leather.

There are some "pickle note" hints in the Smells like Vegetables thread.

You might want to take a peek at TDC's UN PARFUM DES SENS ET BOIS, by Celine Ellena (no one said that she isn't the nose). Just to rule it out, if nothing else. Some of the observations make me think of it, and many of the notes seem like they fit. But there's no orris.

The CO CO thing is interesting... could it be word-related?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Yes, mikeperez, I would venture to say aquatic, in a cucumbery or salty way.
    This fragrance does not remind me of sweet, peachy, rosey, vanillic Coco at all, so I'm digging for a word connection.
    Sel de Vetiver? I've never smelled it. I could be convinced that it comes from The Different Company. They use all sorts of interesting notes, and their perfumes are rather transparent. All I've ever smelled is their Osmanthus, though.
    I've tried all of them including The newest Sublime Balkiss, it is much stronger and totally different than this. This is not TDC. I would bet on that.
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th March 2009 at 01:51 AM.

I recall Mike saying TDC UPdSeB smelled like Cartier Declaration (Fougere?)...herbal woody, not very floral from what I could tell, but who knows how the others perceive it!

Blog Entries

The main thing I get is this marzipan note. It feels pink to me (I'm synesthetic, I guess) that could be rose or fresia or heliotrope) as it has that Play-doh note, too. The citrus top-note which is soft, could be bergamot, and the woody note you all talk about, seems like a very soft cedar. I don't think it is as strong as wenge, and there is NO hint of incense. This is a really soft, wimpy scent.
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th March 2009 at 02:01 AM.

Hmm...playdoh makes me think about SL Datura Noir.
    Last edited by Asha; 17th March 2009 at 02:25 AM.

If it's definitely not an incense fragrance, that would eliminate the TDC Des Sens et Bois, then. Marzipan, playdoh, and wimpy. Who knows???

Blog Entries

Well, I'm sticking with L'Instant Magic. It has rose & bergamot in common with Coco Mademoiselle which is similar in feel to this light girly fragrance. And, to further connect to the Coconut theme, the almond in L'Instant Magic is also a nut. TA DA! That's my final answer.

p.s.Haunanai, I haven't tried Secret Datura. I think that is a strong floral. This isn't really floral, to me anyway. Plus the juice is almost clear.

Kumquat, I tried L'Instant Magic--it is very sweet and powdery vanilla in the drydown, and I never smelled a play-doh note at any point. It is a much different frag in the early stages, tho. I have seen it compared to L'Heure Bleu for only the top and early mid notes.

Since I am not sniffing I can't know for sure, but I doubt it is L'Instant Magic. You would be smelling sweet powder and no pimento. If there is pepper in it, it is very subtle. You would also know it is a Guerlain. Ah, also the juice is pink.
    Evenstar

Kumquat, I just sprayed L'Instant Magic from a sample and we can rule it out...it's as far away from Sample B as the moon is from the earth.

Mike, I defined it as painted in watercolours, although I don't smell anything definitely aquatic or marine in there
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 17th March 2009 at 05:28 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Jumping in here (sorry I didn't do it sooner - just got back to my 'puter after dealing with some minor -um- circumstances) cuz I think Wolfie's having 'puter problems.

Sort of a hint? LIB's circled closely around the heart of the matter without actually alighting....and, from my own experience, I would try spritzing ...generously.... to experience the full effect. Go for them heart notes.....

P.S. Wonderful to see so many contributers....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Ooh, I may have a guess!
    How prominent is the citrus on top? Is it mainly citrus or can you clearly distinguish the other notes along with it? How sweet is it?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Basenotes Institution

I'm confused kumquat - how did you get a sample of B? I thought purplebird, L_I_B and I were the only ones with blind samples but reading your comments above it sounds like you're sniffing B too.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Ooh, I may have a guess!
    How prominent is the citrus on top? Is it mainly citrus or can you clearly distinguish the other notes along with it? How sweet is it?
    The citrus is at the very first spray evident, and then it recedes quickly. I would not call it citrus prominent, in the top notes.

It is not very sweet at all.

Blog Entries

Purplebird gave me some of hers.

Hm, then I think I must have been mistaken. I was thinking Escale a Portofino, what with the citrus-woods-almonds, but that one is unmistakably lemony for a while.
    A mystery, this one.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Purplebird gave me some of hers.
    Ah! Now I understand.

Hm, then I think I must have been mistaken. I was thinking Escale a Portofino, what with the citrus-woods-almonds, but that one is unmistakably lemony for a while.
    A mystery, this one.
    No, it's definitely not Escale a Portofino, there's not a noticeable orange blossom at all in B.

Not prominent. Not sweet. In fact, I thought it was cedar at first.
    I notice that we are focusing on top notes. I think that grapefruit must be the topnote and the fruit note because LIB positively identified grapefruit (and possibly mint) when she spritzed, and Tao Lady affirmed that spritzing was the right technique.

Now, according to Tao Lady, the main clue is in the heart notes. And we have not identified a floral heart yet. Perhaps this is the key to the identity of this fragrance.

Let's start guessing flowers and let her eliminate them.
    I will start by saying rose. Why? Because it is the only one I can imagine that has something in common with Coco.

Is there rose in Sample B?

Blog Entries

I will take another stab at this: Eclat D'Arpege Summer
    Top - Litchi (almond) Starfruit, Lemon, Grapefruit
    Heart - Rose*, Jasmine*, Violet
    Base - Light Musk*, Vanilla*, Cedar, Praline
    Stars beside notes shared with Coco Mademoiselle EDT