Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 1 "Cuckoo for Coco"

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Lady-in-Black is very well informed considering she's almost as far away from everywhere as we are in Nebraska.
    Huh?!? Sorry?!?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Huh?!? Sorry?!?
    I guess was thinking about sample 'A' especially. Since you wouldn't have any drugstores similar to those in the US. I asked PBird where you were & she said you were not near a large city.

I'm eagerly awaiting the sniffa package, LiB! I'm quite sure Ubu and Lian will be way better at solving the mysteries, but I'm excited!
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

My dears, I am back in the saddle in front of my monitor in the study, and the timing of course, could not have been more stupid! Thank you very much for bearing with me and my not so frequent visits to the local library. Congratulations to all because we all identified the fragrances correctly.

Here is the answer to the last question: "Why was C (aka Jean Patou Divine Folie) included into the Cuckoo for Coco Round?" Because Jean Patou and M-lle Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel were born on the same day, August 19, three years apart: JP in 1880 and CC in 1883. For many years I have been celebrating Coco's birthday with a drop of #19 extrait, but as of January -- while creating the birthday calendar for the year (how do you think I remember when Serge L. or Olivia G. were born? ) I came across that fact and decided to play on it. And what better fragrance with a word "Cuckoo" in it than Divine Folie? In the grand scheme of things I do believe that people born on the same day are somehow connected through the invisible humanitarian bond (What a coincidence -- as of today my twin brother Magnifiscent became my BN friend!). Please do not be surprised if this year I will wear Coctail or Caline on August 19th (among other people born on this glorious day are Ogden Nash and Hillarie Clinton).

Some conclusions
    :
    1) Please DO make a partner/backup in case you are left without the Internet.

2) MikePerez and I must have similar skin chemistry or diet, or both.

3) Lady_in_Black -- I think I know how she guessed that last one -- immersion? Trying to totally put herself into my shoes and living my experiences of Divine Folie? No wonder, we wear same type of socks and enjoy same type of chocolate!

4) Future hosts: make it difficult! Make us all work and wonder. Make us lose sleep over the fragrance in question. Removing these particular fragrances from your Wardrobe a week or two in advance is a matter of preference, BTW.

5) Purplebird7 -- do not feel that bad, you did all the fine work sniffing and identifying the notes. Teamwork is what matters most.

6) Out of 16 guesses that were PMed to me during the course of one week, only one fragrance was identified correctly: it was PdeC Fireworks guessed by darkdreams. I thought I would mention it.

Thanks again to everybody who was supporting this thread by posting or reading it, it has been a great exercise and I hope more are yet to come.

bleu autumn haze

Nice job everyone! Twolf, what great selections and hints. And great teamwork from the guessers. It was fun to read along and make guesses.

PS Glad you are back online Twolf!
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 24th March 2009 at 12:00 AM.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Kumquat, I happen to live in the second largest city in Italy, in the heart of the Old World . But, as you may imagine, many US drugstore brands are not available over here....my guess on sample A (from a brand I actually never heard of) was pure note comparing, since you co-sniffers did all the work.

TWolf, a clever parallel between Jean's and Gabrielle's birthday Good to see you're safely online again. Yep, I totally succeded in putting myself in your socks Thanks for bringing this little jewel to our attention....I really liked it.

Now, should I disclose the theme for Round 2??
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 24th March 2009 at 07:35 PM.

I'm DYING to hear........(fingers & toes crossed).......

Blog Entries

Red face Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 1 "Cuckoo for Coco"

[QUOTE=Lady_in_Black;1469235]Kumquat, I happen to live in the second largest city in Italy, in the heart of the Old World . But, as you may imagine, many US drugstore brands are not available over here....my guess on sample A (from a brand I actually never heard of) was pure note comparing, since you co-sniffers did all the work.

Oh! My bad! PBird told me you wouldn't be familiar with any drug store or mall shops. I pictured you in a country setting!

I was trying to imagine if you would know about Victoria's Secret, CVS Pharmacy or Walgreens. Those are the only stores around here, but PBird & I don't look at perfume there so we were really in the dark. I couldn't think of any more drugstore brands to look at on the computer. Just being an armchair detective, you know, snooping. But she had the wrong info about your situation, that's clear!

Yes LIB, go for it! Can't let Ubu go with dyed toes, you know....

Ill be in london from the 29th until the first of april, just to be difficult :P But I expect it will take a while before we all receive the samples.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Yes, LiB, tell us!
    I need to know if I should worry
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Dear ones, you can either tear your hair out or take a deep sigh of bliss...depends entirely on your taste

The theme for Round 2 is "The Spice of Life"
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 25th March 2009 at 03:26 PM.

Ooh, *nice*! Excited to see what you cooked up for us.

Douglas Adams

Exhale.....WHEW!....sort of relieved. While I'm not proficient in leathers, and somewhat anosmic to certain musks, spices are intriguing and (mostly) friendly to my nose! Now the excitement is building! ...checking the mailbox... (yep, I realize this doesn't preclude leather or musk from being in those little vials )
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 25th March 2009 at 05:50 PM. Reason: addition

Now my favourite category, but it beats citrus. Unless there are cloves.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Great theme with such a variety of possibilities, Lady_in_Black.

Now that you guys saw how it is done, please let me know if any of the newer readers or older lurkers want to go through 3x3 Blind Bootcamp, no no I mean Sniff.

Spice is an interesting choice, LIB. I look forward to learning along with the next victims... I mean volunteers.
    Just kidding! I've done this twice and haven't made too much of a fool of myself yet.
    There's still ample opportunity for me to do so, though.
    LOL

Quite frankly, this task is a bit intimidating...there are only about a million possibilities, and we have to put our noses together and come up with the correct ones Not to mention the trio of Purplebird/LiB/Perez being a very tough act to follow!

Nah. I'm not a tought act to follow. Not me.
    Just guess what you think: olfactive family, designer or niche, general era, notes, expensive or cheap, etc.
    The moderators will answer true or false for your guesses, and you will get it narrowed down. Finally, you can search for note pyramids online.

Totally agree with purplebird7: a sniffer has to post a lot! The more related and non-related stuff you post about your fragrance, the higher are the chances that some of your guesses strike the right chord.

Do your homework, make a list of Spices that you have in your kitchen cabinet and another list of spices that you would like to know better, take a trip to the neighborhood Indian shop to buy some (they are often times cheaper there than in your regular grocery store), try to figure out the differences between the smells of black, white and cayenne peppers, etc.

Of course, I was a sniffer once for the Round that LIB hosted, and first I thought that all three samples were by Guerlain. Then we started posting impressions, and (not without a huge jumping to confusions case!) I was able to identify all three of them, All in about 25 PMs, back and forth back and forth, letting others post their guesses.

Have fun! We will help you too!

I totally agree with Purplebird and TWolf! The theme isn't too demanding: have fun, post a lot of guesses, post without too many thoughts about being on the wrong track .... you'll have quite a few surprises when you discover how many notes your nose knows already! And of course, let yourself be guided by yours truly .
    But again....the main goal is having fun

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Quite frankly, this task is a bit intimidating...there are only about a million possibilities, and we have to put our noses together and come up with the correct ones Not to mention the trio of Purplebird/LiB/Perez being a very tough act to follow!
    Remember - overall, women are much better at smelling and detecting notes than men are.

I think you'll do great J. Like the ladies have said, just dive in there and guess, guess, guess. This is one game that even when the answers (or deciphering of notes) are wrong noone really cares. All suggestions ultimately help the team figure out the scent.

Now get those boxing gloves on and start practicing on the punching bag!! Woo-hoo! Remember that line in the movie Dune? 'He who controls the SPICE...controls the universe!'. Bwahhh, haaa, haa!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Remember that line in the movie Dune? 'He who controls the SPICE...controls the universe!'. Bwahhh, haaa, haa!!!
    Love it!

Hey, wait a minute, could Dior's Dune be included in this mix?!?!?!

Between France, Iceland, and the US I think we can nail these (that's going to be my attitude from here on in!) Get your noses ready ladies, we've got some serious sniffing to do!

I did hone my internet detectives skills so maybe I can put them to use here too, although Im not making any promises

Neat, I'm next to a *French* whorehouse now! Sounds so much classier.
    I definitely intend to have fun with this and try not to be intimidated too much. I have a spice rack with aged, crumbly spices best left to the mice I could haul out in case of desperation, though!

Douglas Adams

I think it's really neat that the Sniffers come from different countries. It's exciting to see those posts flying back and forth across the virtual world. This is a fun medium for live games.

Ubuandibeme and veuve amiot pm'ed me that they have received their spice packages ! Well, veuve amiot will actually pick up hers tomorrow.

We'll wait for Lian to come back from her trip...hope the package arrives meanwhile without being held up by customs...cross your fingers, guys!

Ubu and veuve amiot, Lian PM'ed me that she received her package...yay!
    I propose to start Round 2 on Thursday.....sniffers, would you be ready on that day?

Yay, all are in!
    I could participate on Thursday, but I do need to add that I'm dealing with the cold/asthma episode from hell right now, so my sniffer is not at peak efficiency. No telling when that'll be over though, so not much use in postponing the whole 3x3 I think.

Douglas Adams

Thursday ~ tomorrow ~ YAY!

Lian agreed too....but Veuve, please tell us if you wish to postpone it by a couple fo days....does it at least look like it will be better in a few days?