Code of Conduct

Default Jean Patou Joy - What is the difference between EDT, EDP, Parfum and Eau de Joy?

I was looking at Joy in a perfumery recently and they had "eau de Joy" which was EDP strength and also had just plain "Joy eau de parfum". Is there a difference in the scents? Also, is the eau de toilette any different scent wise from the eau de parfum or is it just a matter of concentration? What about the parfum - how does it compare and is it worth the crazy price?

Default Re: Jean Patou Joy - What is the difference between EDT, EDP, Parfum and Eau de Joy?

Well, if the pure parfum is made in France, maybe they put the real Grasse Jasmine in there. If the other products are made in the UK, perhaps they use less expensive jasmine. It's just a hunch. I have no proof of this suspicion. Look at the back of the boxes to see where they are made. Joy is such an elegant fragrance, I would go straight for the best of the best.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Jean Patou Joy - What is the difference between EDT, EDP, Parfum and Eau de Joy?

Quote Originally Posted by chanellove View Post
    ...Is there a difference in the scents?
    Yes.

... Also, is the eau de toilette any different scent wise from the eau de parfum or is it just a matter of concentration?
    In my opinion, the EdP is much more complex, indolic, engaging and fascinating than the EdT. Testing the EdT and EdP was almost like testing two different fragrances. Amazing! Note: I tested vintage EdP, not new stuff that is on the shelves now.

...What about the parfum - how does it compare and is it worth the crazy price?
    I have a sample of the parfum (vintage) but I haven't sampled it yet. I'm saving it for a special occasion, it's just a tiny, tiny bit and probably I'll only get 1 drop on each wrist and that'll be it. So, I can't say for now. I will tell you this, the juice is very dark in color. Also amber.

According to Luca Turin in Perfumes The Guide, Joy EdP is the same as Eau de Joy and different formula from Joy Perfume. My EdP is made in the UK. I don't know if it makes it better or worse. I had the EdT long time ago, it was lovely.
    Evenstar

I recently RIS a bottle of the newer EDP Joy. I found it to be greener than the vintage EDT and parfum. Perhaps more galbanum? but still lovely and wearable.

Basenotes Institution

I'm bumping this thread ......
    Any other opinions re. the difference between Eau de Joy and Joy EdP ? I would like to get some and I'm particularly curious about Eau de Joy.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

No opinions here because I only have the parfum, but I've always wondered about the differences.

From Perfumes The Guide:

Joy eau de parfum * * * * floral aldehylic

"......what is sold today as Joy EDP is the old Eau de Joy, a different formula from Joy parfum, and this was always so. The EDP uses lighter, fresher qualities of both jasmine and rose and more aldehydes. To my nose it comes across as more citrus-rosy, less abstract, and less dark than the parfum. That said, it is wonderful. LT "
    Last edited by pluran; 29th September 2011 at 02:31 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Hmmm, that is interesting. I looked at the Neiman Marcus online site and Eau de Joy is pink in color and the regular EdP is typically golden .
    It's confusing when they have two concentrations so similar ( except the juice color ! )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Ok, I just found this thread, so apologies for starting a new one.

I have Eau de Joy eau de parfum, made in France. The black round bottle with red cap (refillable). To my nose and recall, it smells just like Joy from the old days, but I didn't know the edp, only the parfum (which this smells like, though not as deep and rich), and the eau de toilette, which was rosier and more effervescent. Is Eau de Joy a recent thing?

My Joy EdP is not rosy in color, it is golden.
    Evenstar

Default What about the Joy parfum solid (in the gold compact)?

How does this one compare to the other versions of Joy (i.e., EDT, parfum, etc?)

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

The difference is that nobody should be allowed to wear it after the FLAW FREE Jackie Kennedy appropriated it as her signature scent. No one will ever approach her in fabulousness.

Currently binging on roses.... Jo Malone, you dirty bitch. You too, Stella McCartney.

so wrong on the "fabulousness" meter...JKO was full of warts and cankers and flaws...many basenote members are better able to wear and represent this iconic fragrance....MO and not in the least apologetic.

I just had a bummer of an experience today. Opened up my new 2.5 oz bottle of Joy Eau de Parfum (made in the UK) from Neiman Marcus, sprayed it on my forearm, and wondered what the heck happened. Got out my aging black bottle of "Eau de Joy Eau de Parfum" made in France, sprayed it on the other arm, and was back to the heaven I've known since my first bottle in 1984. There is no base note in the "new" version! It is totally missing the complexity of the older version, and smells like a $60 bottle of something named after a celebrity. Going back to NM tomorrow to try to exchange it for something entirely different. Joy is no longer my #1.

Suzy:

blame IFRA. They have essentially banned jasmine, which means that the civet has gone too. Since Joy was a jasmine-rose duet supported by civet, hard to imagine for me what it could have become.

There's still plenty of old Joy on ebay, so you can stock up there.

cacio

Many thanks for the glimmer of hope, Cacio!