Code of Conduct

Default I was a 53 yr old fragrance virgin

Yes, its true. In high school I remember having English Leather, Jade East, and maybe one or 2 others but once my school days ended I never used any type of fragrance again.
    Maybe it was allergies, because I suffered from all the usual types, and developing asthma was another reason, but I avoided even walking by the perfume counters in dept stores. I really could not take the smells.

Then about 4 yrs ago all my allergies suddenly vanished. As a lark I purchased a bottle of Geo F Trumpers Extract of West Indian Limes last summer and loved it. It wasn't long after when I discovered this place, and I have to say it was overwhelming. My knowledge begins and ends at zero when it comes to fragrance, but after visiting here and reading for the past 6 months I decided to register. I still know very little about any of this, but everyone here makes it very easy for someone like me to find what I like.
    All my buys have been blind, not the best way to do it I know, but at 53 and after missing out on all this my entire life I do not feel I have the time to sample everything I would like to try. So I rely on what I read. If it turns out I do not like something, I sell it on ebay. So far I have not lost much because I have loved 80 percent of my blind buys, and the few I have sold have been almost full bottles.
    A few that I wear and love are Trumpers Ajaccio Violets and Wild English Fern. Penhaligon's English Fern, Roger and Gallet Vetyver, Vetiver Extraordianaire, Art of Shaving Lemon, Knize Forest and Caron L'anarchiste.
    I would like to find a couple of more for summer and would really appreciate any suggestions. And thanks to everyone here for showing me a world I was completely unaware of!

Default Re: I was a 53 yr old fragrance virgin

Guerlain's Vetiver is a nice "every day" fragrance. It's one of the best vetivers out there. It takes 2nd place to Vetiver Extraordinare in my book!

For a mature gentleman like yourself, I would suggest the UBER classy scent; Bois du Portugal by Creed.

For summer, Aqua di Parma Colonia Intensa, classic summer scent for a man of any age.

Treading,
    What a wonderful post! Glad you're with us and glad you've secretly found the members here so helpful already.

And wow, you did pick some good scents in those you like--who'da thunk you'd be with L'Anarchiste? Such a great one.

As the summer comes you'll be content with the two vetivers you have I'm sure, but it looks like you lack good citruses. Maybe you've tried a bunch and decided they're not your thing, but all the same, I think you should give a wear to Nina Ricci Signoricci, Aqua di Parma Colona (the first and original one), and the dirty citrus and verbena creation of YSL, YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration.

Those are my guess.

Glad you found us. It's fun to find out what smells everyone here is talking about isn't it?
    Welcome,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

AromiErotici

The world is now your smelly oyster my friend. The only thing I can recommend is for you to SAMPLE a whole slew of fragrances in order to find out what's really in your ballpark when it comes to fougeres,orientals, chypres, etc......

First off, great to have you with us.

Secondly - a great, truly great fragrance for the summer? Welcome my new found friend to the glorious symphony that is Penhaligon's Castile.

Perfect for a gentleman in the summer.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Welcome ot Basenotes! You might enjoy the wonderfulness of Eau de Rochas pour Homme as well for the summer. Fantastic citrus. Second the Signoricci as well. Another approach could the the cirtus aromatic L' eau par Kenzo pour Homme.

Oh yes, sorry, Welcome to Basenotes Treading! Sorry I was so rude earlier.

Some good citurs frags would be Millesime Imperial and L'eau Par Kenzo!

I was a 14 year old fragrance virgin. Then, although I mentioned it on another thread too, precisely for my 14th birthday party came... in front of the greatest and most surprising gift came Salvador Dali (strictly as a fragrance- lol) and my perfume-related life was never the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I was a 14 year old fragrance virgin. Then, although I mentioned it on another thread too, precisely for my 14th birthday party came... in front of the greatest and most surprising gift came Salvador Dali (strictly as a fragrance- lol) and my perfume-related life was never the same.
    Well, I cannot remember turning 14, but I'm sure I had a good time doing it.

And thanks to everyone for the suggestions and warm welcomes. So back to reading the board and making my list. Thanks again!

Hey it beats being a 53 year old virgin....

Hey it better than being a 53 year old virgin....