Code of Conduct

Thread: Caswell Massey

Default Caswell Massey

I recently have gotten into Caswell Massey. I love their Sandalwood and Newport Cologne. I was just wondering what you guys think of their products- what you like or don't like. I was also curious to hear if any of you like to layer with their colognes or essential oils.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Caswell Massey

I am a fan of Tricorn, Jockey Club, and Number six- in that order. Their Elixir of Love and various single notes are nice too. They are good, solid, quality products; not necessarily exciting but not lacking creativity either. They used to have an Egyptian Musk oil that was fantastic. I have a touch left. Wish they'd develop that into a exotic EDT of some sort. I use them more for the soaps and shaving products but have the first three I mentioned in EDT form as well.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    I am a fan of Tricorn, Jockey Club, and Number six- in that order. Their Elixir of Love and various single notes are nice too. They are good, solid, quality products; not necessarily exciting but not lacking creativity either. They used to have an Egyptian Musk oil that was fantastic. I have a touch left. Wish they'd develop that into a exotic EDT of some sort. I use them more for the soaps and shaving products but have the first three I mentioned in EDT form as well.
    Have you tried the Sandalwood cologne? I was wondering how that compared to Tricorn

Post Thanks / Like

Check out their Persian Leather, if you can find it....

Quote Originally Posted by dynastyd95 View Post
    Have you tried the Sandalwood cologne? I was wondering how that compared to Tricorn
    At first, the Sandalwood seems sweeter than Tricorn because of Tricorn's medicinal edge, but after the first blast, you adjust to that, and Tricorn takes on a warm, ambery touch. The Sandalwood is pretty much a straight sandalwood, slightly sweet to my nose, and is light enough to wear in warm weather. Tricorn, on the other hand, begs for winter.

Regards,
    T

Post Thanks / Like

I also use their products. I started with their talcs (does anyone use talc anymore?!). I currently own the Newport EDT, which receives mixed reviews here. Just received the cologne sampler, and I like the light, citrusy No. 6.

Post Thanks / Like

I use their sandalwood and Newport talcs as well, and a while ago I bought their sampler pack of 5 fragrances (Tricorn, Six, Greenbriar, Newport, Jockey Club), and I've got decants of Persian Leather and Patchouli.... all are pretty good, though the longevity is very EdC. Definitely good value for the money.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Greenbriar scent and also soap. It is pretty good, a fresh-ozonic green. This is a reformulation, apparently the old Greenbriar was even better (darker, more green).
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

That sampler set is what started me on all of this madness. Jockey Club is my favorite and I wore it almost exclusively for quite a while. That said, I rarely wear it now. My partner really likes their Verbena and Number Six, although the longevity of Number Six is very minimal. I'll have to try Tricorn again sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

Have not used recently but for years used # 6 and Tricorn, Jocky Club and others. Had them make up a special blend after discontinuance, of "Pomander". Sort of like L"Anarchiste. Very Good!! Perhaps they would make it up again(?)
    Last edited by richard d; 13th March 2009 at 08:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been looking to get a sample each of Caswell's Tricorn and their sandalwood cologne....Can anyone guide me through to them?
    I know the bottles are really cheap and one can get both the bottles in 3oz size delivered within the US for less than US$45, yet I don't want to buy blind, anymore.

Apparenlty Tricorn contains sandalwood from Bangalore & Bangalore is not too far from Mysore. I am just hoping that it could possibly possess a lot of characteristics of the real Mysore sandalwood.

Post Thanks / Like

the Sandalwood is sweet and soft, pretty straightforward really. You can pick up sampler packs with like 6 different Sandalwood scented products for 10-15 dollars. I have seen it almost everywhere lately. TJMaxx and Steinmart being the two with the larger supplies.

Tricorn has a sandalwood base but as someone mentioned earlier, it is spicier and somewhat medicinal. It is almost like (geez I'm afraid of the hatemail I'll get for this comment) a mild Rive Gauche PH. There is a more floral accord than Rive Gauche though. I think it is very creative for its time and pretty zingy for a relatively mild mannered classic aftershave.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Caswell Massey

I bought the Honneysuckle soap and lotion set at Marshals really cheap and fragrance is quite nice. I would consider buying more, probobly Sandalwood.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 14th March 2009 at 12:49 AM.

[QUOTE=argogos;1460017
    Tricorn has a sandalwood base but as someone mentioned earlier, it is spicier and somewhat medicinal. It is almost like (geez I'm afraid of the hatemail I'll get for this comment) a mild Rive Gauche PH. There is a more floral accord than Rive Gauche though.[/QUOTE]

Funny you should say that. Tonight I got a bit of the splash on my fingers, then washed my hands with a lavender soap. Immediately, I smelled Rive Gauche PH. I thought I was insane. I'm not sure what, precisely, would have this effect, because my first thought when I sniff Tricorn is not barbershop, but there you have it. Regardless, yes, it's a pretty sophisticated and distinctive scent, particularly for its time.

Regards,
    T