Code of Conduct

Default D.R. Harris Sandalwood Question

In Basenotes I see a review which seems to be of D.R. Harris sandalwood cologne. When shopping online, I can only find D.R. Harris sandalwood aftershave. I am wondering if there use to be a cologne no longer marketed or if the review is of the aftershave? I do recall one individual on another forum mentioning that the aftershave was sufficiently strong to him that it could also be used as a cologne. Thanks for any response, John

Default Re: D.R. Harris Sandalwood Question

I just did a quick bit of research and can only find the aftershave, although people on the Badger and Blade shaving forum indicate that the aftershave is really, really strong and can be worn as a cologne.

The aftershave can definitely be worn as a cologne. It is pretty straight sandalwood, dry, and has a slightly medicinal edge (not quite as much as C-M Tricorn, but along those same lines; it's a little sharp) that some find offputting but that I really enjoy. Not much in the way of development, but it's a nice scent that should last through most of a day of work.

Regards,
    T

My antenna are certainly tuned to the British lines. I agree with what is said -- that the Sandalwood is a fairly strong aftershave, so much so that it moves into the EDT or even EDC category in terms of profile if not concentration. It is a heavy-duty sandalwood, quite substantial (as I remember it from a shop sample).
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

TBoner, please talk to me about C-M Tricorn!! Been trying to get a sample, but no luck so far. Besides the comparison you made to D.R. Harris - not quite as medicinal - what else can you say? Spices of any sort? Any florals? Pretty much straight like C-M Sandalwood itself? Thanks, John

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    The aftershave can definitely be worn as a cologne. It is pretty straight sandalwood, dry, and has a slightly medicinal edge (not quite as much as C-M Tricorn, but along those same lines; it's a little sharp) that some find offputting but that I really enjoy. Not much in the way of development, but it's a nice scent that should last through most of a day of work.

Regards,
    T

John,

I like Tricorn. It is somewhat linear in the way that most of the C-M fragrances are, but it has more longevity than the others, at least on me. It's sort of medicinal at first whiff, but then develops an ambery note that rounds it out. There's not a sandalwood from any of the English houses that compares to it, really. In fact, I can't think of anything I've smelled that's quite like it. It's interesting: on the one hand, it doesn't seem to be much more than one or two notes, but it can come across as pungent, sweet, desert-dry, or rich and warm depending on your skin, the time of day, and the temperature. I really like it.

Regards,
    T

Wow!! Tricorn does sound interesting! Perhaps I will end up with a sample. From what I have read it almost seems to me like a love it or hate it thing. Rather like this D.R. Harris sandalwood; and I love it!! Thanks TBoner, John