Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Do you consider AdP Colonia to be a masterpiece?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think AdP Colonia is a masterpiece.

44 61.97%
  • No, Colonia is not a masterpiece

27 38.03%

Default AdP Colonia: Masterpiece? (Yes or No)

Do you think AdP Colonia is a masterpiece?

Default Re: AdP Colonia: Masterpiece? (Yes or No)

I went through three bottles of the stuff and it's nice, but ultimately I think I liked it more for the nice presentation (bottles, nice yellow boxes with white and black details, etc.) than for the stuff inside. It's a good EDC but not much more than that and it costs a heck of a lot.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up Re: AdP Colonia: Masterpiece? (Yes or No)

Yes, yes it is a masterpiece !!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Errr, are you going to to do this with all the fragrances in the directory?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Yes...

Personal tastes aside, you cannot deny Colonia's place among classic EdC's...

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I think yes.

My answer to the question at hand: no.

How do you start a poll, I'll help you

send me a sample and Ill let you know
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

"Colonia" is nice, but not as nice as "Colonia Intensa". I kind of feel like "Colonia" is a little dated to tell you the truth. It's nice, but starts to smell like a relic in the drydown.

While I was in NYC this last weekend, I tried AdP "Colonia Assoluta Villa", which was delicious, but like the other AdP's it kind of disappears pretty quickly.

Oh of course; every single one.

One of the very few worthy of the title masterpiece.

I haven't voted yet.

I like it - but not as much as Colonia Assoluta which I really do think is a masterpiece. I also prefer Intensa which I also have.

Hmm...

If it were a showdown between Colonia and Assoluta I would go with Assoluta,
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Yes, it's a nice fragrance.
    No, it is not a masterpiece.

I'm no longer going to vote in these threads as I'm not sure that something functional like perfume can be a masterpiece.

FWIW: AdP is really nice and a "classic" fragrance.

Yes.

I hope not!

No, AdP Colonia is not a masterpiece, nor is Guerlain Vetiver, Black Aoud, Jubilation XXV, Kouros, Body Kouros, GIT, Royal Water, AdG, BdP, BdG, MKK, C&S No 88, or 99.999% of the perfumes out there. Overuse of the word masterpiece dilutes its meaning until it means nothing, except for "I like X" which helps no-one.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Not getting hung up over the term "masterpiece", I voted yes as I think it is a beautiful and wonderful fragrance.

Yes, and I would like to introduce a motion to declare it a "Classic" as well.

I don't vote as I know and have only Assoluta - but that one is a really good scent. As someone else here, I would like to keep the title masterpiece for a very limited circle of scents, now I feel Assoluta doesn't belong to them.

Yes!!!!! I also feel that Colonia Assoluta is a masterpiece.....If this isn't a masterpiece.....there are none at all.
    Gary

I second the motion for AdP to be considered a "Classic".
    Gary

In the end I've gone with "no", simply because Assoluta whips its butt. Assoluta IS a masterpiece, it's as though, realising they had a classic on their hands with Colonia they went a step better. Assoluta is the petite brunette of Latin extraction that I have always dreamed of having on my arm, it's the vintage E-type or AC Cobra I've always wanted, it's just... well... beautiful.

Colonia is a classic. Assoluta is a masterpiece.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I have been on a mission to downside my collection and have been thinking about ADP Colonia. I don't remember ever picking up Colonia over Assoluta when it comes to wearing my scents. I've only picked up Colonia out of sympathy when I felt that I hadn't worn it for a long time.

I don't think Colonia is a 'masterpiece'. It doesn't even come close to a 'masterpiece', I think. It's just plain sharp citrus, with longevity & sillage that isn't even average. I think if one sets out looking for some better citrus frags, one will come across something nicer. Assoluta, without any doubt in my mind is a more beautiful fragrance. I think it's time I showed Colonia the exit door.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I have been on a mission to downside my collection and have been thinking about ADP Colonia. I don't remember ever picking up Colonia over Assoluta when it comes to wearing my scents. I've only picked up Colonia out of sympathy when I felt that I hadn't worn it for a long time.

I don't think Colonia is a 'masterpiece'. It doesn't even come close to a 'masterpiece', I think. It's just plain sharp citrus, with longevity & sillage that isn't even average. I think if one sets out looking for some better citrus frags, one will come across something nicer. Assoluta, without any doubt in my mind is a more beautiful fragrance. I think it's time I showed Colonia the exit door.
    hey gupts! Mate, I'm also of the school of thought that Assoluta is more relevant today and largely more applicable more of the time. We shouldn't forget though that the original has significant history behind it. When discussing classics/masterpieces that abovementioned history is a most important consideration. Will Assoluta still be relevant in a century? That is what the original has achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    hey gupts! Mate, I'm also of the school of thought that Assoluta is more relevant today and largely more applicable more of the time. We shouldn't forget though that the original has significant history behind it. When discussing classics/masterpieces that abovementioned history is a most important consideration. Will Assoluta still be relevant in a century? That is what the original has achieved.
    Perhaps it all comes down to the definition of a 'masterpiece' which ofcourse is so 'subjective'....Yeah, history is inded a very important aspect before anything is proclaimed 'masterpiece'...that way 'Colonia' may earn a few points that'd take it towards being called one, but apart from that, IMHO it doesn't have a lot of other elements...Ofcourse 'Assoluta' may be too young to be declared a masterpiece but it surely has a potential to be one & the 'history' that is inherently required will inevitably come to it in the coming years...

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Perhaps it all comes down to the definition of a 'masterpiece' which ofcourse is so 'subjective'....Yeah, history is inded a very important aspect before anything is proclaimed 'masterpiece'...that way 'Colonia' may earn a few points that'd take it towards being called one, but apart from that, IMHO it doesn't have a lot of other elements...Ofcourse 'Assoluta' may be too young to be declared a masterpiece but it surely has a potential to be one & the 'history' that is inherently required will inevitably come to it in the coming years...
    Agree with all of it gupts, and as I said before, I just like you prefer Assoluta as well. It's just that I have a deep respect for the original...

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Agree with all of it gupts, and as I said before, I just like you prefer Assoluta as well. It's just that I have a deep respect for the original...
    I just share the same respect with you, for 'Colonia', is why I bought it in the first place and still have it my wardrobe...
    but it's perilously close to coming under the knife during this current downsizing tide..

Interesting points about the definition of "masterpiece" - I have Assoluta and like it very much, but think it's defintely more of a "classic fragrance" rather than a "masterpiece" in the way that it's been constructed etc etc. Hope that counts for something!
    -
    Top 7 (Feb 2009): Dior Homme (incl Intense & Cologne versions), Penhaligon's Racquets Formula, Kenzo Power, Prada Infusion d'Homme, Gendarme, Guerlain's Veiver & Habit Rouge

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    I hope not!

No, AdP Colonia is not a masterpiece, nor is Guerlain Vetiver, Black Aoud, Jubilation XXV, Kouros, Body Kouros, GIT, Royal Water, AdG, BdP, BdG, MKK, C&S No 88, or 99.999% of the perfumes out there. Overuse of the word masterpiece dilutes its meaning until it means nothing, except for "I like X" which helps no-one.
    Just to be able to better understand you, I would be seriously interested to learn about fragrances that you call masterterpieces, and also how you define the term.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

A masterpiece? No, but an acquired taste for sure.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: AdP Colonia: Masterpiece? (Yes or No)

Yes, I think Colonia is a materpiece.

A GENUINE, UNIQUE masterpiece. Fresh, crisp, clean, elegant, discreet, invigorating, wearable, lasting, manly, conservative and distinguished.