Code of Conduct

Default Expensive purchasing errors?

I recently indulged myself with two Amouage purchases, Homage, and Lyric.The first one, Homage I certainly do not regret, it continues to repay me each time I apply it, but Lyric was a bad buy. There was something about it that just bewitched me and I convinced myself that I had to have it. I enjoyed the sample, and I'd rated it a seven, but then went against my better judgement,forked out 135, and tried to love it. Now, I am going to unload it on a friend for a lot less than I paid for it. I have come to appreciate the fact that I need to be more selective with my purchases, What a crazy obsession this has become

I was wondering whether anyone else had forked out a small fortune on a whim, and regretted it.

Default Re: Expensive purchasing errors?

Buying blind when you're dropping big bucks can always be a risk - I almost always buy a decant first. However even when you do things 'right' it doesn't always work out. I skin-tested Delrae Bois de Paradis in store, let it settle for a couple hours....etc. I bought it ($135/50ml) and when I got it home I didn't like it. I ended up getting a very fair trade for it, so it ended up not being so bad, but the lesson was learned.

Two Christmases ago, I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket and came up with the brilliant idea of blind buying Bois du Portugal & Orange Spice... All I can say is thank god that Creed boxes don't have cellophane wrapping because I'd be stuck with two less than stellar scents... I lied to fragrancenet and told them that I had received the same items as gifts and returned them...

I blind bought D&G The One for men 1.6 oz tester for $45 U.S. Not exactly an expensive mistake, but a mistake none the less!

I bought Caron Pour un Homme at full retail price ($90!) when it is easily found for $35 shipped online. MORE than double paid. I still feel like such an idiot for that.

Amouage Lyric
    Armani Prive Eclat de Jasmine
    L'artisan Dzing
    L'artisan Voleur de Roses
    L'artisan Fou de Absinthe
    Dior Diorama - blind buy
    CDG Guerilla 1
    Lubin Idole - blind buy
    Montale - Intense Tiare

i know i know , very expensive mistakes here. im purchasing based on sampling first (must test frag at least 5 times before purchasing)

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Amouage Lyric
    Armani Prive Eclat de Jasmine
    L'artisan Dzing
    L'artisan Voleur de Roses
    L'artisan Fou de Absinthe
    Dior Diorama - blind buy
    CDG Guerilla 1
    Lubin Idole - blind buy
    Montale - Intense Tiare

i know i know , very expensive mistakes here. im purchasing based on sampling first (must test frag at least 5 times before purchasing)
    Feel free to sell some to me

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Buying blind when you're dropping big bucks can always be a risk - I almost always buy a decant first. However even when you do things 'right' it doesn't always work out. I skin-tested Delrae Bois de Paradis in store, let it settle for a couple hours....etc. I bought it ($135/50ml) and when I got it home I didn't like it. I ended up getting a very fair trade for it, so it ended up not being so bad, but the lesson was learned.

bbBD you know this story well!!!! i think i heard this a couple time lol
    Last edited by jrd4t; 14th March 2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: no real names on the board please
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Feel free to sell some to me

i'll take that dzing off your hands
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Ah I'd have to say Silver Mountain Water, most recently, which I never would have imagined would be something I'd regret.

I sampled and wore it a lot - but once I had it, though it was SMW.. it's like I was wearing something totally foreign to me. I couldn't get comfortable with it and just recently traded it. But I'm not badmouthing SMW - I think it's a great fragrance, just not a great fragrance for my purposes.

The only other one I can think of was purchasing Vetiver Extraordinaire in the larger size. Loved it, still do love it - but no way I could use that much juice, so I passed it along to someone who adores it as an everyday fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    I recently indulged myself with two Amouage purchases, Homage, and Lyric.The first one, Homage I certainly do not regret, it continues to repay me each time I apply it, but Lyric was a bad buy. There was something about it that just bewitched me and I convinced myself that I had to have it. I enjoyed the sample, and I'd rated it a seven, but then went against my better judgement,forked out 135, and tried to love it. Now, I am going to unload it on a friend for a lot less than I paid for it. I have come to appreciate the fact that I need to be more selective with my purchases, What a crazy obsession this has become

I was wondering whether anyone else had forked out a small fortune on a whim, and regretted it.

Green Irish Tweed was a mistake for me. it smells ok but not 100+ worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post

Having read some of the responses, I see that I am not alone in this. I have resolved to only invest in those that I have marked as an 8 or above, and to sample a second time shortly before purchase. After all, you have to be that little bit more certain with fragrances at the top end of the price list.

creed himalaya
    worst 100 bucks i've ever dropped
    yuck
    At your service

Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe
    Having read some of the responses, I see that I am not alone in this. I have resolved to only invest in those that I have marked as an 8 or above, and to sample a second time shortly before purchase. After all, you have to be that little bit more certain with fragrances at the top end of the price list.
    This is a good point about 'sampling shortly before purchase'. There are fragrances on my 'wishlist' that have been there for a long time, and I may not even have the samples anymore. I had wanted Silver Aoud forever, and when it popped up on a BN sale thread I made arrangements to buy it. Luckily I still had the bottom of my old sample and when I tested it, it wasn't anything like I remembered, or perhaps I just didn't like it anymore (thus I bought something else from the BNer). As tastes change, it makes sense to sample not too long before purchase.

I'm not sure I'd call these purchasing mistakes, but I seem to have a good number of bottles I can't wear anymore due to increasing sensitivities to some of the ingredients. I have had to sell some really good ones for this reason alone.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    There are fragrances on my 'wishlist' that have been there for a long time, and I may not even have the samples anymore. I had wanted Silver Aoud forever, and when it popped up on a BN sale thread I made arrangements to buy it. Luckily I still had the bottom of my old sample and when I tested it, it wasn't anything like I remembered, or perhaps I just didn't like it anymore (thus I bought something else from the BNer). As tastes change, it makes sense to sample not too long before purchase.
    A similar experience happened to me earlier -- with the difference being that I didn't have the sample anymore and went ahead with the purchase instead. It was for L'artisan's Tea for Two. It was in my wishlist for ages and something I remember that I really really really wanted.

Now? It's nice. Just nice though. I loved it before, but now I just "kinda like" it. Before, I thought of it as a "delicious warm smoky honeyed lapsang-souchong tea" -- while now it's just "birch tar and balms." Four stars max!

Guerilla2
    Philosykos
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

CDG Guerilla 1