Code of Conduct

Default What to try at Nordsrom's?

I stopped by Nordstrom's on my way from work today -- to indulge in some perfume sampling. I only had 15 min or so before I had to go pick up my son from daycare, so randomly sniffed and sprayed. Nothing was really good; Miss Dior Cherie was just vile on my skin - fermenting fruits? (Apologies to anyone who's a fan). She Wood was probably the best of the bunch: light - almost soapy - incense. Got a sample of She Wood, and on the way out a sample of Armani Prive Ambre Soie (just because the bottles were so good looking!)

They had a pretty limited selection of Annick Gouttal -- nothing I wanted to try. And a major disappointment -- they stopped carrying Aqua di Parma about 2 months ago. Argh!

When I make it there next time -- what are some of the mainstays to try? I'd like to make my sampling more "strategic", trying the stuff that's been well reviewed and/or done by well-known noses.

I typically like woody, spicy, incense-y or earthy fragrances, or iris in any form. I don't do well with "ozonic" or "fresh musk" notes, or "big white flowers"and aldehydes.

I'm thinking of Prada (for women), maybe Organza Indecence (I heard good things about it).

In any case, tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Last edited by kess; 14th March 2009 at 05:26 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: What to try at Nordsrom's?

Our Nordstrom carries Armani Privé scents. You may wish to try Bois d'Encens and Ambre Soie or any of the others!

http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...&submit=search

Blog Entries

My local Nordstrom carries Jo Malone. If yours does too, that'll keep you busy for a while!

(There's also a Jo Malone store in the same mall, but the SAs are haughty.)
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Blog Entries

The problem with the Armani Prive is; if you love it, it costs an absolute fortune. I looked at it online. Isn't it a $400 set of 4 scents? Or maybe they are singles now. I could be wrong. One I tried was suppose to be close to Apres L'Ondee. I think it was the Amethyst, was nothing but lavender & incense. Not at all what I wanted, a more powerful L'Ondee. Also, just my opinion, but Organza Indecence is no big deal. Very strong amber, tonka, vanilla & incense. It was too sweet; like ice cream & incense.

Do they have Goutal's Eau D'Hadrien & Nuits D'Hadrien? Both are dark woody lemons. Try them for at least an hour before deciding. They grow on you & they are different from anything else. Also, the first time I tested Nuits dH, the tester was bad. I didn't know it until recently when I tried it another time. I love it now.

My local Nordstrom is a bit of a disappointment, they only carry the new fragrances. Lots of Thierry Mugler: Angel and its descendents, the new Vivara etudes, no Guerlains whatsoever, a few Annick Goutals. Last time I was there I asked about the new Annick Goutal and the SAs had no idea what I was talking about.

Nodstrom on-line is now selling Escale a Portofino by Dior. My local store does not have it.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 14th March 2009 at 09:16 PM.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    My local Nordstrom is a bit of a disappointment, they only carry the new fragrances. Lots of Thierry Mugler: Angel and its descendents, the new Vivara etudes, no Guerlains whatsoever, a few Annick Goutals. Last time I was there I asked about the new Annick Goutal and the SAs had no idea what I was talking about.

Nodstrom on-line is now selling Escale a Portofino by Dior. My local store does not have it.
    Your Nordstrom carries Annick Goutal? Mine carries the non-Exclusifs Chanels, and that's as good as it gets in Salem, Oregon!

Kess, you must live near a flagship store. I'm told that only flagship Nordies carry He/She Wood. Come to think of it, I do live somewhat close to one, (within 80 miles...) and will be moving closer in another month.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    The problem with the Armani Prive is; if you love it, it costs an absolute fortune. I looked at it online. Isn't it a $400 set of 4 scents? Or maybe they are singles now. I could be wrong. One I tried was suppose to be close to Apres L'Ondee. I think it was the Amethyst, was nothing but lavender & incense. Not at all what I wanted, a more powerful L'Ondee. Also, just my opinion, but Organza Indecence is no big deal. Very strong amber, tonka, vanilla & incense. It was too sweet; like ice cream & incense.

Do they have Goutal's Eau D'Hadrien & Nuits D'Hadrien? Both are dark woody lemons. Try them for at least an hour before deciding. They grow on you & they are different from anything else. Also, the first time I tested Nuits dH, the tester was bad. I didn't know it until recently when I tried it another time. I love it now.
    The Armani Prive can be bought individually; those in wood-enclosed flacons are $185 (ouch), and it's $115 for the glass flacon ones. The Ambre Soie is $185.

Yes, they did have Eau D'Hadrien & Nuits D'Hadrien; I *think* I don't like citrus but I should really try them the next time I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Your Nordstrom carries Annick Goutal? Mine carries the non-Exclusifs Chanels, and that's as good as it gets in Salem, Oregon!

Kess, you must live near a flagship store. I'm told that only flagship Nordies carry He/She Wood. Come to think of it, I do live somewhat close to one, (within 80 miles...) and will be moving closer in another month.
    Yes, it must be a flagship one. Come to think of it, they had a pretty good selection. They do carry Jo Malone too; I understand not all Nordstrom's do.

arwen, that's a bummer. not even Shalimar? isn't that a best selling fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    arwen, that's a bummer. not even Shalimar? isn't that a best selling fragrance?
    I guess they had the Shalimar, but not even a tester it was tucked away, but no L'Instant or Insolence, or L'Instant Magic. I would have thought they would at least have the newer ones. At the men's department they only had the Guerlain Homme.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post

I think all Nordstroms carry the He/She Wood. I have seen them at my local Nordstrom.
    Evenstar

Badgley Mischka Couture. New fragrance but worth a try. I was pleasantly surprised by this one.

Description:

The woody floriental perfume was developed by perfumer Caroline Sabas; the notes include purple plum, blackberry, pear nectar, jasmine, gardenia, violet, white patchouli, black vetiver and sensual musk
    Last edited by DawnInCali; 15th March 2009 at 01:35 AM.

I think all Nordstroms carry the He/She Wood. I have seen them at my local Nordstrom.
    My info comes from a not very helpful SA at the men's fragrance counter who was not very excited to help me pick out a fragrance for my husband's birthday. (I took home a bunch of samples and proceeded to buy the cologne at Perfumania.)
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 15th March 2009 at 02:21 AM.

Nordstroms is one of the few places I've seen the Missoni line. I love the pink bottle, done by Maurice Roucel, a floral, gourmand with a fruity edge. Turin gives it *****. There's also the flanker in the blue bottle, which I haven't tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Nordstroms is one of the few places I've seen the Missoni line. I love the pink bottle, done by Maurice Roucel, a floral, gourmand with a fruity edge. Turin gives it *****. There's also the flanker in the blue bottle, which I haven't tried.
    i'll try to check out missoni --sounds interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Yes, I really liked the Missoni. I bought a mini from ebay because I've been having a problem committing to full bottles, but I probably will get a fb once the mini is gone.
    Evenstar