Code of Conduct

Thread: Calone

Default Calone

Is calone that gives Millesime Imperial and Kenneth Cole Reaction for Men the melon note?

Default Re: Calone

It's possibly linked to it as a "fresh" note but there is not really any fruitiness to it on its own. It is usually responsible for creating an aquatic feel. Someone decided it smelled like the ocean (don't know what ocean they were smelling) and so it is often used is summer or seaside themed frags. Again, it could provide part of the melon accord ( the watery feel) but likely isn't fully responsible.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.
    Currently wearing: Cairo by Penhaligon's

I think argogos is right. Calone has that watermelon rind type of smell that imparts a watery feel.
    I think Iso E Super is another one used for the fresh watery notes but we have chemistry experts on this board, who I'm hoping will chime in.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    ...I think Iso E Super is another one used for the fresh watery notes but we have chemistry experts on this board, who I'm hoping will chime in.
    I don't know about "chemistry expert," but there's nothing remotely "watery" about the smell of Iso E Super. It actually has a dry woody (maybe even "dusty,") smell that's vaguely suggestive of cedar.

Although I doubt that the calone is the source of the melon note (since many other fragrances with calone do not smell like melon), the two fragrances might have the same synthetic melon note.

And yes, Vibert is right, Iso E super is anything but aquatic. It's more like a dry cedar with a velvety or fuzzy/hazy "texture."
    Currently wearing: Déclaration by Cartier

Calone smells very mossy on its own. I don't get melon qualities from it. Iso E Super isn't fresh, but very woody.

I think there's a tendency sometimes to think that there are a few "magic bullet" aromachemicals that can be thrown together haphazardly to yield any fresh, clean designer scent. It really isn't that simple. One cannot just throw Calone and Iso E Super together and expect anything resembling Millesime Imperial to result.

I'm asking because if calone is responsible the watermelon note I like it.
    But if it is something more similar to the salty water from bulgari aqva I will try to avoid every other scent that have it.

Might want to avoid it then. New west is the "best" and most "natural" use of calone IMHO.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.
    Currently wearing: Cairo by Penhaligon's

edit
    Last edited by scentemental; 15th March 2009 at 04:26 AM.

Dihydromercenol imparts a more limey-note, but I believe "Calone" is the molecule responsible for both the "marine" as well as the watery-melon note in the aforementioned fragrances. Ofcourse this is not always our grandpa's calone molecule from 1951. Dihydromyrcenal itself falls under the vast "marine/aquatic" molecules category although it has a more citrusy profile. Many new ozonic molecules expose various facets of the aquatic/marine landscape ranging from salty, sweet to salty-floral, light/fruity etc. In Imperial and Gio homme, the special effect is (probably) due to Melonal.

So yes, "Calone' is a vast umbrella and is responsible for a host of these often very pleasant fragrance accords.
    -

Sure, some synthetics I hate. Top of my hit list: Dihydromercenol. To me, it smells like laundry detergent spilled on an aluminum counter. It exploded on the scene in 1982 in Drakkar Noir (at a jaw-dropping 10 percent of the formula), followed by Polo, Cool Water and CK One, where it worked nicely. But now that it’s been put in eight million masculine fragrances, it’s a boring cliché. But I hate natural lavender, too, for the same reason: natural or synthetic, a cliché is a cliché.
    Burr.

I think it's - amongst others - calone that gives MI the melon-like feel.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 15th March 2009 at 02:58 AM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

<Original post edited>

Rafaellg, if you like the melon/cucumber type note you detect in Milliseme Imperial, why note search on the Basenotes directory search engine under :"fragrance notes" for melon. If you do, you will get two pages of hits. I would recommend you try Halston Unbound, the purest calonic melon/cucumber type fragrance available. If this is what you are looking for, and I suspect it is, then you will be in melon heaven.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 15th March 2009 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    [COLOR=Blue]
    The answer to the question that instigated this post might be in the context of Green Irish Tweed really hard to uncover. We are amateurs playing with a little bit of knowledge gathered from here and there. The only person who really knows is Pierre Bourdon.

Rafaellg, if you like the melon/cucumber type note you detect in Green Irish Tweed, why note simply search on the Basenotes directory under fragrance notes for melon. If you do, you will get two pages of hits. I would recommend you try Halston Unbound, the purest calonic melon/cucumber type fragrance available. If this is what you are looking for, and I suspect it is, then you will be in melon heaven.

scentemental

Agreed Scentemental but me and the thread author were mainly talking about Millesime Imperial - I actually don't detect a melon note in GIT. The most prominent cucumber note that I have smelled is in Bond no. 9s Wall Street. As for d-myrcenol, I haven't smelled the raw synthetic but in perfume compositions it smells more like a sharpish-citrus note than a pure lime note.
    Last edited by zztopp; 15th March 2009 at 04:02 AM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Agreed Scentemental but me and the thread author were mainly talking about Millesime Imperial - I actually don't detect a melon note in GIT. The most prominent cucumber note that I have smelled is in Bond no. 9s Wall Street. As for d-myrcenol, I haven't smelled the raw synthetic but in perfume compositions it smells more like a sharpish-citrus note than a pure lime note.

OMG, it really pays to read more carefully doesn't it? Sorry to all about that. Irrelevant ramblings removed and the suggestion about how to get a melon left untouched.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 15th March 2009 at 04:13 AM.

OMG, it really pays to read more carefully doesn't it? Sorry to all about that. Irrelevant ramblings removed and the suggestion about how to get a melon left untouched.

scentemental
    No problem Scentemental, it might have been a tad off-topic but it was a good discussion

Now I dont know if this is off topic or not but seeing as we are discussing "melons", I thought I should mention this. Just the other day I was sampling Parfums DelRae's new offering Emotionelle and Michel Roudnitska has taken the "melon" note to new heights in this fragrance. It goes above and beyond the typical melon effect in other fragrances and althought I am sure it uses Melonal or other aquatic-calone off shoot, M.R. has constructed a melon rind note of extreme clarity. Emotionelle is a good example where a calone-like synthetic is expertly used in conjunction with supporting notes to create a key accord instead of a crass exposition of the bare essentials of the synthetic with little to no skill.
    -

Default "

<Original post edited>

Rafaellg, if you like the melon/cucumber type note you detect in Milliseme Imperial, why note search on the Basenotes directory search engine under :"fragrance notes" for melon. If you do, you will get two pages of hits. I would recommend you try Halston Unbound, the purest calonic melon/cucumber type fragrance available. If this is what you are looking for, and I suspect it is, then you will be in melon heaven.

scentemental
    Thanks for the suggestion scentemental!

My approach to fragrances are becoming more an "I wanna learn a lot about the subject" than an "I wanna find THE scent, or get compliments".

This change of attitude is all your fault BNers

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    ...Just the other day I was sampling Parfums DelRae's new offering Emotionelle and Michel Roudnitska has taken the "melon" note to new heights in this fragrance. It goes above and beyond the typical melon effect in other fragrances and althought I am sure it uses Melonal or other aquatic-calone off shoot, M.R. has constructed a melon rind note of extreme clarity. Emotionelle is a good example where a calone-like synthetic is expertly used in conjunction with supporting notes to create a key accord instead of a crass exposition of the bare essentials of the synthetic with little to no skill.
    I heard about this and the melon note and it worried me, since I can only count a few fragrances will melon that I love (New West for Her by Aramis comes to mind immediately), but reading your comments on Emotionelle has piqued my curiosity zztopp.

Bo Jensen's website mentions other synthetics used for watermelon notes.

"Fresh, watermelon-like notes have been popular in perfumery for several years. Two aldehydes employed for this purpose should be mentioned:

Melonal, an extremely powerful and diffusive odorant with a green-citrusy, melon-like odour, and Methoxymelonal, equally diffusive, but milder and with a very beautiful, transparent watermelon character. Melonal, for example, is used in L'Eau d'Issey (Miyake 1992)"

(see: http://www.bojensen.net/EssentialOil...htm#Watermelon)
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari