Code of Conduct

Default guy needs some help (a bunch of questions)

hello. I'm looking to buy a fragrance or two for casual and evening wear - just relaxed scents really. all i have currently are a couple of hugo boss fragrances (boss bottled and some other one) which smell nice enough but dont last at all on me.

i smelt a few fragrances today but was not impressed by most. they are all so floral and samey. however, i tried davidoff adventure and really like it but again it lasts like an hour on me and doesnt project at all.

so my questions:

a) are there any (easily available in uk) fragrances smiliar to davidoff adventure
    b) what would you say the occasion/season for davidoff adventure is? i cant really tell
    c) what are some easily available grassy/naturey fragrances i could try? i fancy that this is the sort of fragrance that i would like the most. recommendations skewed towards fragrances that are best suited to spring and summer appreciated.

as you can tell im a complete novice and tbh i dont plan on being anything else, id just quite like to smell as good as i can. cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: guy needs some help (a bunch of questions)

Well hello and welcome to Basenotes! Congratulations on your first post.
    I won't comment on Davidoff Adventure simply because I'm not familiar with it.

Since you are in the UK, you should try Penhaligons English Fern. That may be a bit more exclusive that you had in mind -- but it is a marvelous classy green scent. If you are so inclined, also try Geo. F. Trumper's Wild Fern. That is nature in a bottle, IMO.

A very cheery, soapy-green scent is Mugler Cologne.

Best wishes,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

thank you for the reply. i shall be sure to keep an eye out for these next time i head in to town. it's probably worth noting that im only 23 so anything really classy may get a bit lost on me

thanks

Hillaire

Faconnable Green Stripe might fit the bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Whenever I see the Penhaligon's Fern recommendations I always make sure to add on that Chanel Platinum Égoïste is a very stylish alternative. Now I've smelled Adventure and none of these three are much in common with it, but I don't remember enough about it to really make a recommendation. The next time I'm near a bottle I'll be sure to try it again, I remember liking it.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

i would also agree with Mugler cologne , everyone seems to like it . I got a bottle for my 25 year old brother for Christmas last year and both him and his girlfriend love it .... and its fairly inexpensive too

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again, I'm wearing a new scent on the market and I can endorse it -- The Beat by Burberry. It is a nice citrus, light wood and vetiver scent. I'm sure it is readily available.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

try these
    GUerlain vetiver
    and
    Bowling Green by beene
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

The problem is that we don't know where you will be 6 months or a year from now. In other words, are you looking to really explore the world of fine fragrance, or do you just want something that's a little bit different from the crowd? If the latter, I suggest doing some sampling at a local store that has some tester bottles available to the public. If the former, you can buy samples at places like Lucky Scent, for example, then swap ones you no longer want with us BNers, to get some new ones that you think you might like.