Code of Conduct

Talking FINALLY, the day has come - a turnaround, I now appreciate Montale's aoud line!

Eureka! Yes, I've finally had a 180 and now appreciate (and desire) many of the Montale aouds and attars much more recently than before. I've went ahead and pulled the trigger on a juiced-up Red Aoud along with getting a smaller bottle of Aoud Cuir d'Arabie. The reason why I chose Red Aoud was that I love foody gourmand scents and am sometimes comfortable with wearing some "overwhelming" and "whack-you-in-the-head" scents. (e.g. ELDO Rien)

Red Aoud's notes together create an illusion of a 'spiced red pepper almond chocolate' that later reveals a creamy/milky version of the rosy Montale house aoud drydown. Despite it's sharpness, I felt that it would be appropriate as a "first Montale." (Even though I feel that White Aoud is actually a "better" creation, I feel that it is less 'me.')

...And 20ml of Aoud Cuir d'Arabie, IMO, would surely be more than enough in the long run for me to appreciate its uniqueness.

The ones I especially like and can see myself owning in the future are White Aoud and Aoud Flowers. (I think Aoud Flowers is a very special beast, one that I feel is underappreciated when compared to Black Aoud)

The only problem with Montale is that I think a 100ml bottle from the aoud line with extra concentration would probably last forever.

Anyway, what I want to say to the "unconverted" is this -- keep on keep on keep on trying, sampling, and don't be afraid to wear it as a full SoTD! It's definitely not for everyone, but I've seen many "turnarounds" on Montale in the past, so who knows -- the next person may be you.

Default Re: FINALLY, the day has come - a turnaround, I now appreciate Montale's aoud line!

congrats!!! i love montale! the way they blend and balance is incredible!

if you like cuir arabie i would suggest to try royal aoud....its just like arabie but better.....it has that band aid smell arabie has but rose and a fruit note dance back an forth throughout the wearing along side the band aid smell....its really quite impressive!

you see everyone is always complaining that montale has too many fragrances out....but if you knew the house you would know that montale takes a concept like aoud rose....and makes 10 different combinations. one would go from oud to rose (black aoud) one would go from rose to oud ( i think queen roses....theres so many i get confused!) one would go from oud to rose back to oud ....there are so many that are real close in notes.....they just differ from top middle sideways and basenotes.

white oud i love....but i own black oud with extra and blue amber....and white oud is like black oud thaat turns into blue amber......i mean its not exactly blue amber..but you get my point....to understand this is to understand montale! thats why whenever I hear man montale has too many fragrances out.....i always say to myself sample 30 or so of them and you will understand why!!!! everyone is almost the same just different!
    Last edited by dredmahawkus; 15th March 2009 at 04:29 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Default Re: FINALLY, the day has come - a turnaround, I now appreciate Montale's aoud line!

Montale is truely a gem among fragrance houses.

They blend remarkably well and despite that fact that many of there fragrances are very very similar- they vary just enough to keep you interested, and also they vary enough that you can wear the same theme every day, but with Montales subtle nuance not get bored.

While perhaps its a shame that they are releasing so many fragrances- so long as they are all getting the same attention as the previous offerings- I've not a problem with it!
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

It took me a while as well... one of the first I ever sampled was Aoud Lime, and at first I thought it was awful - I even scrubbed it off. I kept trying, and I started liking White and Silver, then I got a decant of Black and it took me about 5 samplings before I 'got' it, then Aoud Damscus, etc.... eventually the Aoud line made more sense to me as my nose acclimatized to smelling oud. I'm still not a fan of all of them, but there are many I like (though I only own one, Cuir d'Arabie).

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    It took me a while as well... one of the first I ever sampled was Aoud Lime, and at first I thought it was awful - I even scrubbed it off. I kept trying, and I started liking White and Silver, then I got a decant of Black and it took me about 5 samplings before I 'got' it, then Aoud Damscus, etc.... eventually the Aoud line made more sense to me as my nose acclimatized to smelling oud. I'm still not a fan of all of them, but there are many I like (though I only own one, Cuir d'Arabie).

i still kinda think lime aoud is vile! something about it i just dont want to smell like it....every now and again i put a little on from my sample to see if i still hate it....and i always do lol.\

now i have to go put arabie on one hand and royal on the other

arabie is much more leathery
    Last edited by dredmahawkus; 15th March 2009 at 04:52 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!

My first sample was Aoud Lime, I was disgusted by it as my 20 colleagues.
    I thought it was the Lime.
    Then I tried Black Aoud, and I realized that it is the oud that makes me feel bad.
    But I think Montale is a great house, with potent and lasting fragrances.
    Respect.

That's strange. The first Montale aoud I ever tried was also Aoud Lime. Yes, I disliked it back then, and it still doesn't work for me today.

I guess I'm one of the few big fans of Aoud Lime then ! I like it better than M7 and the two other Montale Aouds I've sampled.

Oh wait.... I forgot the rest of my story. I came back to Aoud Lime recently and was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it. I don't actually smell much 'lime' per se, and I wouldn't buy it, but it didn't gross me out like it did when I first tried it.

well. how come no one knows ORIGINAL OUD here ??
    this was launched as AOUD PUR ORIENTAL...... and montale changed the name to Original oud.
    it is the same note i know from pud perfumes in Kuwait where i come from.

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    well. how come no one knows ORIGINAL OUD here ??
    this was launched as AOUD PUR ORIENTAL...... and montale changed the name to Original oud.
    it is the same note i know from pud perfumes in Kuwait where i come from.
    It's not bad -- but I prefer to have my aoud blended. I agree though that I rarely see people writing about it.

I've heard that there are places that you can get very decent aouds here in Thailand though. (was thinking of the 'Middle-Eastern' district downtown) Anyone have any tips on this? I'll have to make it my 'summer project.'

Well it took me 1 wearing to fall in love with Black,White,Red,Golden and Crystal Auod and i think they are all bottle worthy. I would include Red Vetyver and Vanilla Extasy if they were not a copy of other houses and could be found cheaper. ( Terre Hermes , Hanae Mori).
    Last edited by cmax; 16th March 2009 at 12:45 AM.

BTW Auod Lime is ok, but the comparison to bug spray by my friends just don't cut it.
    Last edited by cmax; 16th March 2009 at 12:47 AM.

i cant believe none of you guys have tried bois vanille.....one of montales best!

my stuff for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    i cant believe none of you guys have tried bois vanille.....one of montales best!
    i was tempted to get a sample of that but i chose extasy instead.

i really dont like extasy at all...its so sweet...too sweet for me.

try bois vanille next time you get sample....i garuntee you will love it....it kinda like red vetyver in a way it has grapefruit and like vanilla.....its very good. its citrus but not orangy and powdery a little. tangy and powdery at the same time.....i have a bottle i think i am gonna wear it tomorrow now that i was thinking about what to wear tomorrow.

my stuff for sale!

all the white, golden, sliver oudhs are quite refined and toned down & not as brash and unforgiving as oudh lime or black oudh... but, neverthless, all these releases hold special place in ones collection and none of them are weak releases per se.

knowing your penchant for sweet gourmandish scents, you must try Chypre Vanille. again a wonderful release. also, Royal Oudh would keep your interest as it's Floral/gourmandish but also has a lovely touch of Oudh. it's not as strong as AL or BA, but then not as light as Golden Oudh...it hangs in between and thats the beauty of it.
    Last edited by jenson; 16th March 2009 at 03:38 AM.

I love montales lime oud and on a less expensive note-- I just tried Dark Rose by cheze ans Speake. Smells like a Montale Oud but 1/2 the price.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

I was completely bowled over by Montale Black Aoud and Aoud LIme when I first bought them blind. They still remain by far my favorite Montales. The other Montale Aoud I tried and didn't really warm upto were Montale Aoud Damascus, Aoud Rose Petals, Attar etc. Their similarity to Montale Black Aoud was primarily why I wanted to stick to the BA, which I though was the best amongst them.

Overall I love Montale. They have unprecedented longevity and unbelievable sillage. If you factor these elements, I'd say Montale offers good value for money. There are still loads of them that I need to try and somehow I've got a strong feeling that I am going to like quite a few of them, possibly including Aoud Leather, Red Vetyver, Aoud Flowers etc.