Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Recommendations Please!

Recommendations please for young guy's scent:

Woohoo! I have a new victim... *aherm* I mean client to make suggestions for.

A veritable clean slate (has no ideas as to what he likes and open to suggestions). Artist, quiet, reserved (painfully shy / unconfident) but smart, funny, warm, caring and a little crazy when you get to know him and break through the aloof shell. Has a very casual 'country guy' dress sense (practical layers), preferring rich earthy colours, in practical hard wearing materials (though hates wool). Loves the feel and look of suede and moleskin. Loves the scents of autumn, especially in or after the rain (think smoky woods, earth, crisp air). No sweet and fruity, no gourmand, no citrus fresh, aquatics or ozonics... and definitely no teenybooper cliches.

He did the Guerlain test and got DARE, Did the osmoz test and was recommended aromatics. I believe he will grow up to love Aromatics, Fougeres and Chypres like Guerlain Vetiver, Lagerfeld Polo, Aramis Devin and Guerlain Coriolan. But these are a bit classic (mature) and confident for his young (but emotionally mature), (fragrance) virgin, unconfident 19 year old tastes. Think of a young panther just finding it's feet.

Any recs?

I should add that he is an improvished student so there isn't much money (read nearly nothing) to spend on testing or buying a big bottle.

I hope to help him build up a wee scent wardrobe for spring / summer (I would also appreciate recs for autumn / winter blends) for the following situations:

Every Day Casual (University, Work):
    Every Day Formal (Interviews, Church):
    Romance (sensual more than seductive):
    Sport (Swimming, Bike riding):

OR

Citrus:
    Herbaceous, Aromatic:
    Floral:
    Clean Wood:
    Smoky Wood:
    Spice:
    Amber:
    Incense:
    Animalic:
    Gourmand (just in case):

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Default Re: Recommendations Please!

I do not know much about fragrances since I'm also a starter but I think you should get him to try

Lolita Lempicka Fraicheur

It's a pleasant surprise for me. It's really not overwhelming. You will feel like you're wandering in a peaceful forest. It's really masculine but soft at the same time.
    IMHO, it's really suitable for a artist, quiet, reserved but smart, funny, warm, caring kind of guy.
    And remember this is the "Fraicheur" version not the original Lolita Lempicka Au Maculin which is a nightmare.
    This scent would be perfect for
    Every Day Formal; Romance or Night out
    As far as I know it available in 5ml, 50ml and 100ml
    Hope this help
    Last edited by jasonx; 16th March 2009 at 03:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanx Jasonx and WELCOME to Basenotes!!

It looks like a surprise contender I shall go and read up on the notes and such.

Thanks again for a great suggestion.

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

It seems that every scent i can think of have been eliminated, but i will give it a try Zino, John Varvatos come to mind.

Casual Every Day: Yves Saint Laurent's Rive Gauche Pour Homme: Masculine, confidence giving, versatile.

Formal Every Day: Caron 3rd Man

Romantic: Rochas Man

Sport: Paul Smith Story or Allure Homme Sport

There are the inexpensive fragrances I can think of in your categories:

Citrus: Guerlain Imperiale, Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte
    Herbaceous, Aromatic: Ralph Lauren Polo, Aramis Tuscany Pour Uomo, YSL Rive Gauche
    Floral: Dior Diorella, Chanel No.5
    Clean Wood: Hemes Equipage, Chanel Pour Monsieur (orig) - more of chypre, than a wood, but there's a woody drydown
    Smoky Wood: YSL M7
    Spice: Caron Nuit de Noel, Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice
    Amber: don't know about a 'cheap' amber that's very good, but you can find L'Artisan Eau d'Ambre & Ambre Extreme on eBay for not too much money if you're patient
    Incense: L'Occitane Eau des Baux
    Animalic: Knize Ten, Dior Fahrenheit
    Gourmand (just in case): Rochas Man, Lolita Lempika

That's what I can think of off the top of my head... feel free to PM me if you need more info.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx
    IMHO, it's really suitable for a artist, quiet, reserved but smart, funny, warm, caring kind of guy.
    And remember this is the "Fraicheur" version not the original Lolita Lempicka Au Maculin which is a nightmare
    I don't think it's a 'nightmare' at all - it's a great gourmand that happens to be very inexpensive.

Casual Everyday: I second Rive Gauche PH; also consider Roger & Gallet Vetyver or Open, though of course they're discontinued

Everyday Formal: Hermes Equipage

Romance: Gucci Pour Homme II - Discrete sillage, not seductive but women seem quite taken with it.

Sport: Musgo Real No. 1 Orange Amber - this smells a good deal like the soap of the same name, and is indeed very clean after the tangerine-bright opening, but with a light musk/amber base that hangs close to the skin.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I don't think it's a 'nightmare' at all - it's a great gourmand that happens to be very inexpensive.
    This is maybe because I had a bad, really bad impression with Lolita Au Masculin the original. Years ago, when the fragrance premiered in my country. They had this huge promotion for it. One day, when I wondered around in the mall waiting for my friends, the SA of Lolita suddenly grabbed me and literally sprayed Lolita Au Masculin directly on my body. OMG, gourmand was clearly not my cup of tea so I was like "help me" that whole day. That incident kept me away from any Lolita Lempicka's counter in the malls for a really long time. Until lately, when I went to a mall nearby to look for an evening scent, the Lolita Lempicka SA there asked so nicely that I found it hard to do anything but try some Lolita Lempicka. So I decided to go with Lolita Lempicka Fraicheur, no other choice. What a surprise! After testing on the strip then my skin, now I'm hooked. Who would have known I will like a Lolita Lempicka fragrance
    Last edited by jasonx; 16th March 2009 at 06:09 PM.

People might think, ah there is he again, but Dior Homme is a must try for every new guy to perfume.
    unico grande amore.

Moondeva, I can almost picture him by your description, and in my mind he kind of looks like myself a few years back…

Every Day Casual (University, Work): Grigioperla Touch Fresh Vetiver I found mine in Italy, don’t know how easy it is to find in the US, but I thought of it immediately when I read your description of your client. It’s a heavier, darker vetiver than the Guerlain in that it definitely has patchouli and sandalwood in the base, but to me it smells very young, hip, and natural. The closest scent I have smelled to it is Etro Shaal Nur, which is very close.
    Every Day Formal (Interviews, Church): Ungaro III
    Romance (sensual more than seductive): Dunhill Desire (original Red bottle) I personally have gotten more compliments (of a romantic nature) from girls with this than any other scent BY FAR. Very youthful also, but advise your client to go light on the application.
    Sport (Swimming, Bike riding): Chanel Allure Homme Sport

Best of luck!
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Blog Entries

Thank you all SO MUCH for the amazing thoughtful suggestions you have ALL given.
    We are in the UK so mosts scents have to be reasonably available here.

arlecchino: I was actually thinking of suggesting Guerlain Vetiver for him even at this time in his life, and noticed that Guerlain have released a Vetiver Extreme. Have you tried it? How does it compare to your Grigioperla Touch Fresh Vetiver?
    Also if it is very close to Etro Shaal Nur then is it not more of a happy citrus / incense (which is how Shaal Nur wears on my skin)? Thank you for your thoughts and feedback.

After hours of research myself I was considering the following:

Hugo Boss Bottled (grey packaging)
    Gucci Pour Homme
    Ralph Lauren Safari for Men
    Emporio Armani He
    Armani Diamonds pour Homme

Not outstanding classics but 'easy' to wear possibly good for a scent newbie with enough distinction to encourage him to explore further. Any absolute no nos or am I on the right track?

Please keep the recommendations / suggestions coming... I may be able to make a wee fellow frag junkie out of him yet.

I don't know if it's possible to 'make' a fragrance fan.... I think you either feel it or you don't. All of the fragrances you mentioned would be good for starters, except maybe the Gucci Pour Homme - maybe you meant the new Gucci by Gucci? (I know, all the similar names are confusing) Allure Homme Sport is good starter, as would be Eau Sauvage, Boss Pure, Prada Infusion d'Homme, and any of the other myriad '08 designer releases that seem aimed at that market anyway.

Replace Gucci Pour Homme with Gucci Pour Homme II. Now that's a perfect match. Diamonds is pretty much a "synth-bomb" to my nose.
    Last edited by moltening; 16th March 2009 at 08:10 PM.

A good strong "cheapo" is Mustang by Dorall. It's a slightly musky leather/tobacco, and has an "earthy" quality.

Every Day Casual (University, Work):Vol de Nuit, Equipage, Habit Rouge
    Every Day Formal (Interviews, Church): Boucheron, Dioressence
    Romance (sensual more than seductive): Bandit, Opium (for woman)
    Sport (Swimming, Bike riding): Pour Homme (YSL), Eau Sauvage, Raquets
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    This is maybe because I had a bad, really bad impression with Lolita Au Masculin the original. Years ago, when the fragrance premiered in my country. They had this huge promotion for it. One day, when I wondered around in the mall waiting for my friends, the SA of Lolita suddenly grabbed me and literally sprayed Lolita Au Masculin directly on my body. OMG, gourmand was clearly not my cup of tea so I was like "help me" that whole day. That incident kept me away from any Lolita Lempicka's counter in the malls for a really long time. Until lately, when I went to a mall nearby to look for an evening scent, the Lolita Lempicka SA there asked so nicely that I found it hard to do anything but try some Lolita Lempicka. So I decided to go with Lolita Lempicka Fraicheur, no other choice. What a surprise! After testing on the strip then my skin, now I'm hooked. Who would have known I will like a Lolita Lempicka fragrance
    Your experience is solid evidence that no one should make a "first impression" of ANY scent.

I went through my "discarded" box lately and was stunned at how many I had "quit" on now smell very good indeed. What were once "hated" now became acceptable. Though, if someone is truly repulsed upon first smelling, I can certainly understand why he wouldn't re-try it, but for me, trusting my first impression has proved to be untrustworthy. The opposite applies as well, though not as much. It's rare that I initially liked a frag but ended up disliking it.

When I see fougère and chypre, I'm thinking classic. You don't want to scare the kid, but ensure that he at least experiences Azzaro Azzaro pour Homme, Aramis Aramis, and Caron Yatagan, which will give him a solid fougère and chypre base.

For an inexpensive arid, sandalwood, Caswell-Massey Sandalwood.

Others to consider:
    Dolce & Gabbana Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    Versace The Dreamer
    Bogart Bogart pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    I hope to help him build up a wee scent wardrobe for spring / summer (I would also appreciate recs for autumn / winter blends) for the following situations:
    Of the fragrances I've tried, I think it's very difficult to go wrong with Equipage or Guerlain Vetiver for most daytime or dressy occasions. However, I think I'd buy a bottle of L'Occitane's Vetiver before Guerlain's, for it's darker, simpler touch. From the description, I'd second Eau de Baux and add Eau de 4 Voleurs as must-try suggestions.

For sports and outdoors, even though he may not love them as perfume scents I normally go for a lemongrass-scented deodorant and (Dr. Bronner's) eucalyptus soap. This tends to inconvenience mosquitoes.

I want to recommend these scents for a 19yo-who has similar taste to me, based on your description- for spring:

Every Day Casual (University, Work): "Lanvin L'homme", "Paul Smith Story"
    Every Day Formal (Interviews, Church): "Romance Silver" and "POLO BLACK" by Ralph Lauren
    Romance (sensual more than seductive): "euphoria men" by cK
    Sport (Swimming, Bike riding): I used to wear "Platinum Egoiste" for these out house active style. But don't recommend it for him.

Let me add that, I'm a fan of Halston Z-14 and nearly all of aramis scents. BUT I don't recommend them for a 19 YO guy!
    Last edited by msi_21; 17th March 2009 at 10:51 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Recommendations Please!

After hours of research myself I was considering the following:[/SIZE][/FONT]

Hugo Boss Bottled (grey packaging)
    Gucci Pour Homme
    Ralph Lauren Safari for Men
    Emporio Armani He
    Armani Diamonds pour Homme

[/SIZE][/FONT]
    You have had a successful research. Although I hate "Boss Bottle", others you mentioned are fantastic scents. I'm a fan of "Safari For Men" and like "Gucci Pour Homme" and "Emporio He". Let me say that, I don't wear gourmand scents usually, but I like "Emporio Diamond" and "Ice Men" the best; in this category, and consider them suitable for a 19 YO person.
    Last edited by msi_21; 17th March 2009 at 10:48 AM.
    " Human beings are members of a whole,
    In creation of one essence and soul.

If one member is afflicted with pain,
    Other members uneasy will remain.

If you have no sympathy for human pain,
    The name of human you cannot retain."

Saadi (13th Century Persian Poet)

arlecchino: I was actually thinking of suggesting Guerlain Vetiver for him even at this time in his life, and noticed that Guerlain have released a Vetiver Extreme. Have you tried it? How does it compare to your Grigioperla Touch Fresh Vetiver?
    Also if it is very close to Etro Shaal Nur then is it not more of a happy citrus / incense (which is how Shaal Nur wears on my skin)? Thank you for your thoughts and feedback.
    I have tried Guerlain Vetiver Extreme, and I find that it lacks the bright, citrusy, peppery notes that I find so wonderful about the regular Guerlain Vetiver, as well as its cheerful, chic, optimistic attitude, and instead veers down a more rooty, earthy, and smoky path. I think it’s a “clunkier” fragrance than the regular; not a personal favorite.

The GrigioPerla Vetiver does have a sweet incensy quality in the basenotes, I think maybe it’s the sandalwood and it could even have a little vanilla too. It does have an oriental character, and I suppose it’s this base that really does remind me of Shaal Nur. The opening of the Grigioperla has citrus, but not nearly as bright as Shaal Nur, it’s a greener opening with vetiver and patchouli.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

I don't have too much to add, but given where you're from how about Burberry London? Leather, Port Wine, Tobacco, Cinnamon and ending up with a nice base. I find it functional as an everyday frag for both casual and formal occasions.

I'd second the John Varvatos, Gucci II, and Eau d'Orange Verte