Code of Conduct

Default Hello from a newbie member

Greetings. I'm a relatively new member of Basenotes, although I've checked out the site, off an on, for a number of years.

I've been interested in fragrances for a very long time. In fact, for most of my going on 56 years. I used to love to smell the perfumes on my mother's vanity, my great-grandfather's Old Spice, and the Bay Rum and Lilac Vegetal used at the barber shop. During my "hippie" years I fell in love with incenses and oils. I bought my first adult fragrances at about 17 or 18 years of age — Guerlain's Vetiver (which I still wear) and Habit Rouge (haven't smelled it in years though).

Over the years, I continued to experiment with essential oils and perfume oils as well as collecting incenses. My mainstream fragrance tastes stayed pretty much the same though. I tried various things but always came back to Vetiver and, for a while, Opium pour Homme, Egoiste and Eau Savage.

Back in January or February I saw the film Perfume: the Story of a Murderer and became smitten, as I periodically do, with the whole idea of perfume. So, off to Basenotes I went, once again, originally to see what folks thought of the film and to browse reviews. This time, though, something different happened. Instead of eventually losing interest and going back to my beloved Vetiver, I started to read about niche fragrances and was deeply intrigued. I started reading the forums and reviews of things mentioned there and. . .well. . .I guess I've been bitten by the "bug."

If you take a look at my wardrobe you can see what I've added in a very short time. Let's see. . .all I had when I started was Vetiver, a couple of bottles of Halston's Z-14 (which I used to like quite a lot), and a bottle of Escada Sentiment (given to me as a gift). Now I'm in love with the likes of Black Aoud and Avignon, No. 88 and Iskander, Jubilation XXV and Noir Patchouli.

I find myself trolling TJ Maxx for items I've seen mentioned favorably on Basenotes, and when I find something I'm not sure of I rush home to check out opinions here. I am continually getting little packets of samples and decants in the mail and my long-suffering partner of 23 years thinks that I've finally gone quite insane. The recent arrival of a package of vials, sprayers, funnels and pipettes left him just shaking his head. And he is quite amused by my nightly ritual of deciding on just the right fragrance to wear to bed (lately, Tam Dao and a spritz of Avignon— sandalwood and frankincense are old buddies of mine from waaaaaay back).

Anyway, I just wanted to say "hi" and let you all know that I really appreciate Basenotes and its members. This is an incredible resource, albeit one that is enabling my mania and addiction. I'm glad y'all are here.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello from a newbie member

Pleased to meet you, xhepera! I pass near your part of the country every now and then. Your story sounds like a lot of us. We were here for some reason or another, and never left. I think you're going to like it here.

Have you sampled Sel de Vétiver yet? You just have to try it, if you like vetiver. Absolutely the smoothest, most transparent, ephemeral vetiver frag ever made, IMO. An explosive compliment-getter, too.

You know, I still have to see that movie. It's gotten mixed reviews, but so many people here like it, I figure it has to have something going for it.

I feel like perfume is the most abstract form of beauty that humans can appreciate physically. I agree with you that the very idea of perfume is compelling.

I think you're in the right place!
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 18th March 2009 at 09:07 AM. Reason: abolutely had to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Have you sampled Sel de Vétiver yet? You just have to try it, if you like vetiver. Abolutely the smoothest, most transparent, ephemeral vetiver frag ever made, IMO. An explosive compliment-getter, too.
    Thanks for the welcome! Odd that you should mention that fragrance. I was just a few moments ago noting it on the site of The Different Company and wondering about it! I'll have to see if I can acquire a sample. Thanks for the recommendation, you enabler you.

You know, I still have to see that movie. It's gotten mixed reviews, but so many people here like it, I figure it has to have something going for it.
    I was completely taken with that film. It was completely unlike what I expected. But in a very good way. I liked it so much and heard so many utter the proverbial "the book is better" that I just purchased a copy to read while I'm recuperating from a rotator cuff surgery that I have coming up a the end of the month.

I feel like perfume is the most abstract form of beauty that humans can appreciate physically. I agree with you that the very idea of perfume is compelling.

I think you're in the right place!
    Very nicely put. I agree. Thanks again for the welcome. It's much appreciated!

Welcome to the community!
    unico grande amore.

What a hearty introduction. Those are my favorite because of how much I learned about you in one post. That will make for a good friendship in the future.

Branching out into niche is always fun and never gets dull. There is so much to find out there. Looks like you are well on your way to becoming a junkie like us.
    Welcome to basenotes!
    Cheers!

Basenotes Plus

I'd like to extend a welcome to you, as well my thanks for the introduction. It's wonderful to read a bit about new members to learn their interests & how they were "bitten by the bug".

It's good to have you join us.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Xhepera, let me add my welcome! I, too, enjoyed your introduction. And I'm intrigued by your idea of Tam Dao + incense as a bedtime fragrance!

Count me as another Sel de Vetiver fan. My favorite vetiver, so far.

Off-Scenter

Just guard your wallet my friend. This is a dangerous place...

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post

Truer words were never spoken

Blog Entries

Welcome, xhepera! Such a nice introduction! I also love Tam Dao and incense scents (though I haven't yet tried Avignon). They are so calming and soothing before bed.

Quote Originally Posted by xhepera View Post
    I find myself trolling TJ Maxx for items I've seen mentioned favorably on Basenotes, and when I find something I'm not sure of I rush home to check out opinions here.
    You need an iPhone. Then you can check the BN directory right there in the store and don't need to make another trip!

I'm glad y'all are here.
    I'm glad you're here too! Thanks for saying "Hi"!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Quite so! I'm learning this already. Thank goodness for decant sales though!

I just want to say thanks to all of you who have so graciously welcomed me to BN. You have truly made me feel welcomed here and it's a great feeling!

I'm somewhat of a new member and amid sampling mania too. But I think I'm winding down my sampling as I come across fragrances I really like (half a dozen now at least).

You made me want to see Perfume... Will put on my netflix list.

Welcome!

Welcome to the family. Enjoy yourself!!
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

AromiErotici

Hey ! Welcome to fragranceland. Take heed to what Vibert said. He was not joking.