Code of Conduct

Default honeysuckle... any decent men's fragrance?

when i was very young my family had vines upon vines of honeysuckle growing in our back yard, and it is one of the few scents that to this day is immediately comforting... i was wondering if anyone knew of any amazing men's fragrances that was able to cut the sweetness just a bit while still maintaining the aura of this little gem... if anyone has anything in their wardrobe they see fit please let me know i'll pay top $$$ or will likely swap with anything i have... thanks a million
    At your service

Default Re: honeysuckle... any decent men's fragrance?

Check out Creed's Chevrefeuille Original, it probably is exactly what you are looking for.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Check out Creed's Chevrefeuille Original, it probably is exactly what you are looking for.
    Odysseusm, you beat me to it! Very, very good stuff.

Basenotes Institution

Have you smelled Fahrenheit by Christian Dior?

Magellan by Fragonard

I also grew up plucking and tasting the flowers of honeysuckle. That's why I tried Chevrefeuille Original, but it just didn't do it for me. Then I tried Czech & Speake's Mimosa. I know it's not supposed to be honeysuckle, but it's all I can think about when I have it on. I don't know if anybody would agree with me or not on this, but I thought I'd give you my thoughts. Good luck.

Nicole Miller for Men

I've never tried Creed's Chevrefeuille, but, in case any one was wondering, "chèvrefeuille" is French for honeysuckle. Literally "goat-leaf". For that reason (and others!) it's one I'm trying to track down.

thanks a million!!! i'm now on a major search for chevrefeuille... i checked on mimosa and nobody has reviewed it yet has anybody have an idea of its pyramid???
    At your service

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Have you smelled Fahrenheit by Christian Dior?
    It was remarkable honeysuckle experienced from a department store tester that motivated me to acquire Fahrenheit years ago. The synthetic petrol sandal base keeps the honysuckle modulated and inhibits sweetness. Just a matter of not applying too much.

For a honeysuckle soliflore try the one by Santa Maria Novella. Having never smelled actual honeysuckle I can't vouch for its realism, but since the other SMNs are so good I assume this one is as well.

I use a honeysuckle hand soap by bath and body works that is quite pleasant. I have a friend who swears by the body wash in the same line, though i haven't tried it. There is an edt you could try as well. I haven't had very good luck with their edts, but they are priced well and it might be worth a sniff. Probably not overwhelmingly masculine, but that is for you to decide.

Basenotes Institution

Has anyone tried Honeysuckle & Jasmine by Jo Malone (done by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour)?

I absolutely love the honeysuckle note. Easily my favorite floral note. Problem is finding a fragrance that has it, and that has it prominently. The note itself is rather rare alone, yet a fragrance to be put on and you say to yourself "mmm honeysuckle" is a very rare occasion. Fahrenheit does this for me. I don't know about the latest formulation though. The honeysuckle note doesn't last as long as I'd like; and it isn't even mentioned on most note compositions of Fahrenheit, yet it's there and it's quite prominent and a certain time.

I only gave it one quick sample, but I got a lot of honeysuckle from Blue de Chanel.

you must try Diorella by Dior
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I recently broke down and bought Ralph Lauren Blue in travel size bottle (...I know. It's not a men's scent..), but there seems to be a lot of honeysuckle in it and a little jasmine, too. Dries down to a light musky scent, it smells rather androgynous, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Homme View Post
    I only gave it one quick sample, but I got a lot of honeysuckle from Blue de Chanel.
    What? It was already my next purchase (keep hating it, orthodox BNers) but now I really need it ASAP.

+1 Fahrenheit, and I do know how real honeysuckle is, I used to go around the garden tasting the stuff. Good times.

Be sure to pick up some Honeysuckle Rose deodorant from Tom's of Maine. It's what made me realize that honeysuckle could work for men!

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    you must try Diorella by Dior
    This actually looks really good! <Adds to test list>

Quote Originally Posted by ZeCheiroso View Post
    What? It was already my next purchase (keep hating it, orthodox BNers) but now I really need it ASAP.

+1 Fahrenheit, and I do know how real honeysuckle is, I used to go around the garden tasting the stuff. Good times.
    Keep in mind that I'm going off a quick sample from a department store, but that was my impression. Since you're already charged up to buy it, I'd like to hear your impressions as to whether you get honeysuckle from it, or if my sniffer is busted.

I do have to say, though, that even as someone who does like the smell of real honeysuckle, I couldn't see myself wearing Bleu.

Will do. I've also read about some sweetness in Bleu which is a plus to me.
    The Bleu debate, well, it's funny now that I understand the nature of such heated exchanges, I posted my view on that "official" thread.