Code of Conduct

Thread: Count? Really?

Default Count? Really?

Count, did you really do this?

"Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    Though the title above states that it was released in 1995, I was introduced to Opium Pour Homme back in 1987. I was then still in undergraduate school. At the time, my favorite menís cologne was incontestably Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. For one reason or another, Opium then smelled awfully close to the actual opium flower, not so any more when I was reintroduced to it. Now it smells extremely sweet and has no resemblance to the aroma of the Opium flower. I am certain it has undergone reformulation.

Women, young and mature alike, still express extreme adulation when smelling Opium pour Homme on a man. Yet I find it way too sweet to accept it as a masculine fragrance, so I decided to experiment a little in order to keep it rather than discard it.

I purchased a 100 ml bottle of Opium and another 100 ml bottle of Kouros. As we know, both of them are by Yves Saint Laurent, and the two are totally different from one another as far as perfumes can possibly be different. Kouros is well known to be one of the epitomes of masculine fragrances, in fact it is considered to be the quintessential masculine fragrance.

I then poured the two into an empty 400 ml perfume atomizer bottle and added 200 ml of 200-proof pharmaceutical-grade pure ethanol and mixed them thoroughly.

What I ended up with is pure magic. The 100% by volume dilution added to the mixture of Opium and Kouros made one of the best eau de cologne I have ever experienced. The result was a lighter fragrance than the sum of both, masculine enough to satisfy a manís perception of a fragrance, yet sexy enough to appeal to every woman that has encountered it. Womenís comments, which are a very good guide to the acceptability of a manís fragrance, have been extremely flattering.

So, if you came across Opium and didnít like its excessive sweetness, and came across Kouros and didnít like its excessive locker room aroma resemblance, mixing them and diluting the mixture with the same perfume-grade of pure alcohol will result in an unforgettable fragrance experience.
    15 March 2009"

Insane...

Default Re: Count? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Heatmonger View Post
    Though the title above states that it was released in 1995, I was introduced to Opium Pour Homme back in 1987.
    That is interesting. Please guide me to the proper resource material, all I find are references to the 1995 date.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heatmonger View Post
    I then poured the two into an empty 400 ml perfume atomizer bottle and added 200 ml of 200-proof pharmaceutical-grade pure ethanol and mixed them thoroughly.
    I hope you had atleast a litre of beer to drink when you did it :-)

I could understand playing around with 1 or 2ml. But the whole bottles?!

By the way, welcome to basenotes!
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    That is interesting. Please guide me to the proper resource material, all I find are references to the 1995 date.

Er, TwoRoads, Heatmonger is quoting Count's review of Opium pH

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121231.html

He diluted the whole bottle of Aramis 900 too

I would try 100 + 100 + 100
    dilute with 200ml alcohol is just too diluted
    can you try that combo and let us know?
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Hmmm... wow. If I had the resources, I'd definitely try this.

I love Opium because it's not TOO sweet if you don't spray too much. It smells like szechuan cooking with a side of Coca Cola on me if I spray it moderately. When I spray it too much, it simply disappears.
    Last edited by dynendal; 18th March 2009 at 03:12 AM.