Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Do any of you guys like Addict by Dior?

I finally got around to giving Addict by Christian Dior a full wearing tonight for the 1st time.

It had previously piqued my curiosity because of the (three star) Chandler Burr review I posted about here and also because I remember someone (I can't seem to remember who here on Basenotes) mentioning they loved it.

Last time I was at Sephora I asked the SA to make me up an atomizer of it, and wearing it now I have to confess it's strangely comforting: Tangy aldehydes, muted sweet vanilla, and florals that dash in and around the tonka bean / courmarin base that lift the sweet notes rather than turning it 'feminine'. I see a connection to those fizzy, woody Duchaufour & Buxton have done for men for years (Anthracite Pour L'Homme by Jacomo...the Eau d' Italie line) . Now that most masculines released are very sweet, Addict should not frighten anyone and I think it's positively wearable for a man.

It might not be the best choice for a hot summer day (I could see the chemical, kaleidescopic sweetness getting cloying in humid weather) but on a cool evening or in lower temperature climates it wears like a complex and intelligent men's oriental. Wasser (the nose at Guerlain [and Guerlain Homme] did Addict).

Funny side note: When I asked the SA for the Addict sample, she decanted it for me and wrote the name of the fragrance on the little plastic bag before she sealed it inside. When I got home from the mall, I looked at what she wrote:,

Christian Dior
    Addicted

LOL

Little does she know.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 18th March 2009 at 01:44 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do any of you guys like Addict by Dior?

If she had been a BNer in disguise, it would have said "Fraddicted!

Yes, I love this scent (particularly the EDP in the blue bottle). And I agree that it's wearable by a guy, although many women will recognize it. However, they might easily figure it was a "pour homme" version (Earth to Paris - let's have a real flanker!) Honestly, I think it's more masculine than L'Instant (femme), and the femme version of that is pretty wearable for guys.

The only reason I don't wear Addict is that it's my wife's "sexy" scent. Just wouldn't seem right to me. I do think Wasser deserves kudos for this one. I think it's a classic, personally.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Do any of you guys like Addict by Dior?

Looks like I am going to put this on the aquisition list. Honestly I had looked at the notes of this one and thought it might work. Now that you have made comment I think I will give it a go.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 18th March 2009 at 02:30 AM.

When my girlfriend was trying out a bunch of fragrances the first time, the SAs were very open to spraying all over her arms. When we got home, there was this one scent that was to DIE for and we have no idea which one it is! We're pretty sure that it's Dior Addict 2, though.

I think she tried Addict 1, too, but didn't think much of it. I'm going to have to try it on my own skin.

I didn't like it at all, and thankfully I have mostly forgotten what it smells like. I do remember that it seems like a confused composition on the woody-oriental bandwagon.

I like it. Dior Addict was one of my first gender benders. I love the bourbon vanilla and floral blend. You're right, it can smother you in warm, humid weather. One of the handful of scents of which I wear less than three sprays overall. I wear it 2-3 times in the winter and that's pretty much all I can handle. Moderation is key in application and frequency with this one. I recently received more in a sample swap so I'm stocked for next fall.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    When my girlfriend was trying out a bunch of fragrances the first time, the SAs were very open to spraying all over her arms. When we got home, there was this one scent that was to DIE for and we have no idea which one it is! We're pretty sure that it's Dior Addict 2, though.

I think she tried Addict 1, too, but didn't think much of it. I'm going to have to try it on my own skin.
    I like all of them, but my wife only likes the strong EDP. It's the one in the deep blue bottle. It's almost like Obsession for Men in terms of strength. I thought the newer EDT flankers (II and Shine) were more modern in their feel, and also excellent, but lighter and more everyday.

Slightly OT - the new Miss Dior Cherie L'eau (not the EDP) is almost like a light men's. I may get a sample next time I'm in Sephora. Fresh and light and unlike the same-old-same-old men's light ones, although I can see how this one could get panned very easily by somebody who's impressed with the EDP original. I'd say it's almost unisex.

I don't like it all and call it "Fake Plastic Vanilla".
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

i like it big time! has this cocunutty, powdery vibe with an ink like which smells so luxurious. and yes, the vanillic drydown...nothin to complain and can be easily worn by men..

Yes, I absolutely love Addict too. I tried it a couple of times a long time ago, and remember it was my favorite perfume on the Dior counter right after MDC. Back then the idea of wearing a fragrance marketed to women was out of the question, so the thought of "is it wearable by a man?" didn't cross my mind. I have to go retest.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Slightly OT - the new Miss Dior Cherie L'eau (not the EDP) is almost like a light men's. I may get a sample next time I'm in Sephora. Fresh and light and unlike the same-old-same-old men's light ones, although I can see how this one could get panned very easily by somebody who's impressed with the EDP original. I'd say it's almost unisex.
    Wow, I didn't know another one was released. I'm intrigued to try it out now that you say it's wearable by a man, because the original is extremely girly. Like to see how they managed to do that.
    Non of the MDC flankers made it to here, so I have my fingers crossed for this one. I will be constantly looking for this in stores from now on.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

I own and love Addict - it's one of, if not the best floral vanilla I've come across. On my skin it's mostly bourbon vanilla, though the more I've gotten to know it the more I can pick up the orange blossom and other florals under the vanilla. There was at one point a parfum version, but I haven't seen it online anywhere in a while... that's something I'd love to try. Like Sloan, I only wore it a couple times this past winter, though that's as much because I always have so much new stuff coming in to try than any other reason.

Basenotes Institution

I think it's hilarious that most of the guys who responded to this thread like Addict and most of the women who responded don't like it.

I can totally see how one could perceive Addict as plastic-esque. This morning, taking off my undershirt to take a shower, I could still smell the application from last night - this stuff lasts! The aldehyde that it utilizes is very sharp, tangy but honestly it doesn't bother me (like most aldehydes do), but rather it really enhances the sweet vanilla and florals.

I didn't know there was a parfum of this - I'd love to sample that.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 18th March 2009 at 07:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Do any of you guys like Addict by Dior?

Thanks to a wonderful Base Noter, Asha, I will have a sample to try of Addict. I am looking forward to the testing. Thanks again Asha.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 18th March 2009 at 07:24 PM.

Blog Entries

mikeperez23: I think your right. Dior missed their market. Well, it's up to us to change that.

I like addict too It's been a favourite of mine for selling to women as a 'ladies night' fragrance. Possibly the outright sexiest of Dior's female offerings. I might take it for a test-drive tomorrow...

I'll have to try this one out and approach it with an open mind.

But seriously, I've known some addicts. Some addicts are friends of mine. And mostly, they don't smell like anything you'd want to put on yourself. I hear the word "Addict" and think Amy Winehouse. That can't be a particularly good smell.

Just sayin.

I tried it out today. I really tried to like it on me, but something went horribly wrong. All I got was a painful vanilla lodged in my nose for most of the day.
    Still, it smells fantastic on some women I work with.

I feel it makes a perfect scent pour homme, on me it was an olfactory abomination. I wanted to burn the flesh off of my arm. Again, it seems to smell divine on men, go figure.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    I'll have to try this one out and approach it with an open mind.

But seriously, I've known some addicts. Some addicts are friends of mine. And mostly, they don't smell like anything you'd want to put on yourself. I hear the word "Addict" and think Amy Winehouse. That can't be a particularly good smell.

Just sayin.

Hey, Burr gave it 3 stars. It can't be that bad.

Mike, you do have my curiosity piqued. I'm cautious as I really thought I was head over heels for Organza Indécence, but after subsequent testings I felt as if I was exposed to a synthetic vanilla, toxic cloud. I love certain vanillas and that's why I'm intrigued. I just fear that Pi style vanilla.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 19th March 2009 at 11:57 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Mike, you do have my curiosity piqued. I'm cautious as I really thought I was head over heels for Organza Indécence, but after subsequent testings I felt as if I was exposed to a synthetic vanilla, toxic cloud. I love certain vanillas and that's why I'm intrigued. I just fear that Pi style vanilla.
    IMO the vanilla is nothing like Organza Indecence or Pi. I think it's that tart aldehyde I mention that gives it a strange, almost vibrating quality to the sweetness.

I'm not sure you'd like this Rug's - sample it first. It's easy to smell it at Sephora.

Now if we could also get everyone to try Hypnotic Poison, the other fantastic Dior feminine that's really meant for guys, I'd be very happy. In fact HP is more unisex than Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Now if we could also get everyone to try Hypnotic Poison, the other fantastic Dior feminine that's really meant for guys, I'd be very happy. In fact HP is more unisex than Addict.
    Do not fret bbBD, there are many of us guys who lovvve HP.

Well Ruggles, I know someone of your taste and experience would know about HP - it's the uninitiated I'm focusing my energy on. Did you know there's an EdP of Hypnotic Poison, not available in the US? I'm on the verge of ordering it blind....

How interesting, the ladies posting here did not like it (including myself). Maybe it is better on a guy. Please try it and let us know

Actually I cringed when I read that Wasser was going to work for Guerlain because I thought about Dior Addict. I should have thought about Quand Vient la Pluie insted.
    Evenstar

Deleted...sorry, Mods.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 20th March 2009 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Well Ruggles, I know someone of your taste and experience would know about HP - it's the uninitiated I'm focusing my energy on.
    What a reputation I have!
    What I meant to say is that, from what I've gathered around here, Hypnotic Poison seems to have a strong following with the guys. Perhaps a poll is necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    IMO the vanilla is nothing like Organza Indecence or Pi. I think it's that tart aldehyde I mention that gives it a strange, almost vibrating quality to the sweetness.
    I'm sampling them side by side. They have nothing in common, you're right. The opening of addict is a bit bright for me, but it has dried down to a nice floral vanilla. Hmmm, this one could be interesting.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I'm sampling them side by side. They have nothing in common, you're right. The opening of addict is a bit bright for me, but it has dried down to a nice floral vanilla. Hmmm, this one could be interesting.
    Organza Indecence smells food-y. Addict smells like nothing you would want to eat, but nonetheless flavored with vanilla. Kind of like vanilla candle wax

Blog Entries

I recieved the sample of Dior Addict today and have been wearing it for a few hours. I can see where Dior missed the boat on this fragrance. This fragrance should have been rated unisex. I have to join the other guys here who like this fragrance. It is dark and brooding and smooth. I would give it three and one half stars.