Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question La Nuit de L'Homme - What is the verdict?

At a time everyone here at the forum was just salivating for the release of this scent.

I now see it is available at the Bloomingdale's website....were are the reviews and comments here????

Did it live up to expectations???? ....you have to tell me someone here has tried it????

Default Re: La Nuit de L'Homme - What is the verdict?

Still furiously anticipating it. I can't wait for it to show up at The Bay in Canada here.

I bought it and like it a lot.

Have sniffed it in passing on holiday last week. Definitely similar to L'homme. It's been delayed getting into stores here so haven't had a proper sniff for a review yet.

I am still not feeling the love in the room here guys -

Those of you who sampled it have not been elaborate in you posting that equal that feeding frenzy thread started months ago anticipating the arrival of this fragrance.

Who here wants to speak??? Come Forward! What is this fragrance like?? Well write it down!! Describe the scent speak the love!!!!!

I am sorry if this sound rude but for month I have been hearing about this fragrance to the point of members worshiping pictures of the bottles and print ads....

Then *Poof* nothing.... what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post

Those of you who sampled it have not been elaborate in you posting that equal that feeding frenzy thread started months ago anticipating the arrival of this fragrance.

Who here wants to speak??? Come Forward! What is this fragrance like?? Well write it down!! Describe the scent speak the love!!!!!

I am sorry if this sound rude but for month I have been hearing about this fragrance to the point of members worshiping pictures of the bottles and print ads....

Maybe patience is the key word here. This hasn´t been released here in Europe yet, maybe at the end of this month.
    Last edited by eric; 18th March 2009 at 04:29 PM.

It's still rarely available in Europe. So we have to wait for a week or two.

I've found someone's first impression on Now Smell This blog:

"...quite similar to Jicky and Le Male, with less Coumarin. I wasn't quite impressed, but under the influence of that ad made my boyfriend test it. Still wasn't impressed when sniffing his wrist directly, but it was really great and had quite some effect whenever I caught a whiff of sillage..."

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    Still furiously anticipating it. I can't wait for it to show up at The Bay in Canada here.
    When you see it there, gimme a shout ( or I'll let you know too). I am very interested in this one.

Seems like there was a lot of "commotion" when the original L'homme was released, so I can understand why Scentimus is a bit underwhelmed by the lack of hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    When you see it there, gimme a shout ( or I'll let you know too). I am very interested in this one.

Seems like there was a lot of "commotion" when the original L'homme was released, so I can understand why Scentimus is a bit underwhelmed by the lack of hype.
    You bet. Thanks. I just visited the Pacific Center Bay today (which usually gets things before anyone else) and they said it should be available any day now, and in worst case scenario, April 15th. So we'll see.

There's a store here in Krakow that I caught this one at, although Sephora and Douglas didn't have it. I wish I had gotten a sample to try it, but I did spray it on the card. The scented salamander has a detailed review of it at:

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...nuit_de_1.html

I may go back for some samples tomorrow, but my first impressions of it were 'good not great'. It didn't blow me away as M7 did when I first sampled it, and it's definitely not as much of a sillage/longevity monster as M7. However, it was a bit different from your typical designer "citric top notes, spicy mid notes, and sweet amber/musk" dry down. YSL classify this as a "fresh oriental" and I remember thinking that's a perfect description as it's not really an ambery/sweet/musk scent. If anything, the drydown was drier than M7 and maybe a bit woodier. I'll have to wear it a few times before I decide on this.

Omeir

I think your post needs more comparisons to M7. Does it actually smell reminiscent of M7 or are you just comparing the two for whatever reason? The Scented Salamander review is actually a bit pretentious and obnoxious in my opinion, I'm much rather have a breakdown from one of our own, without comparisons to previous YSL's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    I think your post needs more comparisons to M7. Does it actually smell reminiscent of M7 or are you just comparing the two for whatever reason? The Scented Salamander review is actually a bit pretentious and obnoxious in my opinion, I'm much rather have a breakdown from one of our own, without comparisons to previous YSL's.
    I was going to say it, but I was afraid to.. yeah, it was definitely pretentious. They described it in such painstaking detail but then called it dishwater.

I was definitely interested in the relation to Dior Homme, though, which happens to be one of my favourites.

Have been trying this fragrance for the past day or two since I luckily managed to get a sample of the fragrance on Tuesday.

The fragrance La Nuit de L'Homme has a great peppery opening on my skin, and I do not detect the Bergamont that seems to be included in the top notes of so many male fragrance releases these days

However, I find the heart notes to be more disappointing, as I found the mixture of tobacco (similar to The One for Men) and Iris to be over sweet for my liking. Please be aware that this is no Dior Homme, and I feel that anyone reading the scented salamander's review should ignore the comparison, other wise it will just end up in disappointment. However, for those not expecting something similar the heart notes may come out better on your skin than it does on mine.

Alas, when the basenotes start to come in, I detect a very smooth chocolate note, during the favourite part of the experience. The lavender could be in the basenotes too, although I am not overly sure as it is quite distant on my skin. the sample spray on my arm today has yet to reach the basenotes so I will perhaps revisit my thoughs here.

Overall, lastability and sillage are above average but only just. Expect 2 -3 hours of heart notes before the base notes come into play.

Well, you have already seen one comparison in The One for Men. However, the akward heart notes also remind me of the Joop syndrome, whereby recent Joop frags such as Jump, Go and thrill have a sickly sweet hearth I feel ruins these fragrances.

So for me there is a catch. Can I put up with the over sweet heart of the fragrance for the other elements I enjoy?

I think I would be better buying Dior Homme Intense!

Overall 6.5/10

Pro: Liked the topnotes, chocolate note in basenotes is fantastic
    Con: Too sweet heart notes take over for too long, being too generic at that point.
    Other comments: The bottle design is great, and I definately prefer this to L'Homme. However there are better fragrances available at this price range that are more attractive as purxhases

I just read the scented salamander review. Did they really compare L'Homme to Secretions Magnifique!? I don't think so.... Where is this "bilge" note that lurks in L'Homme, that scent is about as safe as you can get.

Unhappy Re: La Nuit de L'Homme - What is the verdict?

IMO this is another one on the market...not special...
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    I'm compared the 2 simply because they're both YSL scents. While M7 impressed me quite a bit when I first sampled it, La Nuit didn't. I remember trying it at The Bay in Canada in Winter 2002, bought the gift set immediately, and haven't looked back since. Rive Gauche is a personal favorite, while L'Homme I wasn't sold on.

La Nuit de L'Homme isn't at all reminiscent of M7. It's definitely fresher, while M7 is thick, rich and syrupy. La Nuit's sillage/longevity is nowhere near as strong (big sticking point for me). I'd like to retry some samples of it though, which I'll probably do this weekend.

Omeir

Quote Originally Posted by leescot View Post

however, i find the heart notes to be more disappointing, as i found the mixture of tobacco (similar to the one for men) and iris to be over sweet for my liking. Please be aware that this is no dior homme, and i feel that anyone reading the scented salamander's review should ignore the comparison, other wise it will just end up in disappointment. However, for those not expecting something similar the heart notes may come out better on your skin than it does on mine.

So for me there is a catch. Can i put up with the over sweet heart of the fragrance for the other elements i enjoy?

I think i would be better buying dior homme intense!
    I agree!!!!!!!!!!!! Get the Dior Homme Intense!
    (Pardon me for editing your quote!)
    Last edited by graffham; 19th March 2009 at 08:13 PM.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Ok I stopped in Bloomingdales in NYC, first off I cannot stand that place, almost as bad as Macy's on 34th they want to spray you with everything I almost barely escaped alive but anyway on to La Nuit de L'Homme

I definitely like this better then the original L'homme, and the chocolate is very nice, but I swear it reminds me way too much of L'instant de Guerlain Extreme, but just not as good as the Extreme version.

If I did not own L'instant de Guerlain Extreme and never knew what a masterpiece that was I would be buying this but I swear this is a lighter version and just not as good.

I hear that the US military is going to use the La Nuit de L'Homme to flush out the Taliban from their holes in the mountains of Pakistan. That's about all it'll be good for.

Bye Bye YSL.

I finally got to test this last night, but they didn't have any samples so no full wearing yet. It's nice, but not what I was expecting. The opening is similar to the original with less ginger and violet, the heart notes are where the chocolate/tobacco start to come out and replace the ginger/violet of the original. The drydown is actually really pleasant as it is a nice chocolatey/tobacco/Iris combo, that is vaguely reminiscent of Dior Homme, and has very nice sillage. That said, I didn't expect such a sweet frag, especially with this release date, I guess I expected maybe a darker more ozonic version. Oh well, it's nice, and I'll have to pick up a sample soon for a full wearing and determine whether it's worth buying.

I didn't take part in the craze you describe but I just tried this one today and I think it's sinfully boring. Completely non-descript.
    Last edited by Merlino; 20th March 2009 at 05:31 PM.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Wow! This is great. Finally bought a bottle of this based on a tip from Surfacing.

I am a gigantic fan of L'Homme - it's still my girlfriend's favourite. I really wanted something along the same lines, but darker. And YSL has delivered.

It's gourmand, it's tobacco, it's floral, and it's citrusy all at the same time. It almost reminds me of raspberry - sour, sweet, a broad flavour, whereas the original L'Homme was simply sour and sweet like an orange (but complemented by the ginger.)

I'm a big fan of Dior Homme and if I smell really hard, I can almost smell it. It's great that YSL is taking notice of big successes like DH, and adding their own spin to it.

The longevity and sillage is also much more impressive than the original. I think they've listened to our complaints.

Wow, again. Check this out.

WOW Most everyone was talking like this scent was going to be the next coming of Christ - but yet I am reading the deflated findings here.

Again...like WOW I am so sure there is a moral to this story here....
    Last edited by scentimus; 27th March 2009 at 11:16 PM.

I don't remember much hype here at all. These reviews seem about on par with the pre-release jabber.

Blog Entries

WOW Most everyone was talking like this scent was going to be the next coming of Christ - but yet I am reading the deflated findings here.

Again...like WOW I am so sure there is a moral to this story here....
    At the risk of dealing with forbidden topics, I suggest the moral is that if you don't go for the original, you probably won't go for the flankers, either! (I like Dieu L'Eau, already a flanker, whereas my wife prefers an even more recent limited release).

Seriously, though, I do like L'Homme, so I'm psyched to try Nuit. Sounds like they've tweaked it in a direction I may like. Thanks for the report, dynendal!

I am really afraid & worried about YSL loosing its fragrance legacy & prestige !!???
    can't those people at L'Oreal respect the culture of this great man & get more inspired & creative?

I tried to like but couldn't, it blends in with one of Mont Blanc, Dunhill or Emporio Armani recent launches

the name , concept & image are quite intresting but when it comes to the juice ... I don't know? what I get is rubber mixed with supermarket shampoo notes, I wonder why it takes 3 noses to create this !!!???

R.I.P. Yves
    Last edited by tariq; 29th March 2009 at 10:29 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tariq View Post
    I am really afraid & worried about YSL loosing its fragrance legacy & prestige !!???
    can't those people at L'Oreal respect the culture of this great man & get more inspired & creative?

R.I.P. Yves
    LOL - I hear ya!

While I don't really expect a flanker on a very popular and mainstream fragrance to break new ground, I agree that YSL would benefit from more novelty on the next standalone fragrance. From the house that revolutionized women's wear, I would hope for at least an occasional fragrance to get tongues wagging with controversy.

Now I have to admit that I think L'Homme was novel and great stuff, but my taste runs right up designer alley, so your mileage WILL vary!

To me it smelled like 2 parts L'Homme, 1 part Burberry Brit. I actually really liked it.

I tried to like but couldn't, it blends in with one of Mont Blanc, Dunhill or Emporio Armani recent launches

the name , concept & image are quite intresting but when it comes to the juice ... I don't know? what I get is rubber mixed with supermarket shampoo notes, I wonder why it takes 3 noses to create this !!!???

R.I.P. Yves
    I'm sorry, I don't get your argument. M7 is the only "real" groundbreaker in the YSL men's line. Other men's fragrances took a previous concept and expanded on it.

Rive Gauche is a creamy Azzaro pH / Brut.
    Body Kouros is a more focused Yohji Homme.
    YSL pour Homme sure wasn't anything groundbreaking.
    Jazz was impressive, but it was still released along with Cool Water, which was another fougere.

There's something to be said for "standing on the shoulders of giants." I agree, it would be nice to have them pump out entire lines of new, innovative stuff like Commes Des Garcons. But in the past they've also stuck to the trends. Maybe they'll release something innovative like Kouros next?
    Last edited by dynendal; 29th March 2009 at 08:25 PM.

R.I.P. Yves
    I don't blame you for being somewhat upset. Did you not mention in a past thread that YSL may have another mens fragrance coming out this year (non-flanker) ? Any updated information or was it just speculation ?

I tried it today and was pleasantly surprised , really nice I thought a possible future purchase

I love this. I tested it at Bloomies Fashion Square Sherman Oaks and I loved it. Similar to theoriginal only very woody and just sexy. the bottle is freaking huge. iamdefinitely going to sport this in the winter. I love it. Awesome flanker. This should be permanent actually

Just got a few samples from Bloomingdale's. My first impression is that it's quite nice...but I think this is the problem. It just smells nice, and nothing more. I do prefer it to the original L'Homme, though. I'll wear it a few more times to be sure, but at this point I don't love it enough to purchase the full 100ml bottle.

I read that mimifroufrou review. It sounds, again, like I'd prefer FUBU Plush for men to it.

Basenotes Institution

Why would you want something that smells like Dior Homme, when you can just buy the original which sounds infinitely better than this?

i am curious to smell it....the original was good, but there was something in it that set off a headache after a while....a sweetened tobacco edge sounds interesting
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

More like a sweeter DH Intense than regular DH of which Im not a huge fan . I applied Nuit De L'Homme around 11 hours ago , its still there, not hugely strong but I can still smell it and Im really loving it

I bought this cologne a couple weeks ago by accident. I've been wearing YSL "L'Homme" for over a year and I go through at least one bottle a month --- it smells great, I get a lot of compliments, and it has a light scent (which is probably why I drench myself with it several times a day). So, when I was in Sephora a couple weeks ago, the woman handed me "La Nuit" by accident and I didn't notice until after I opened the bottle and sprayed myself. Initially I didn't like the scent, but after about five minutes I changed my mind. Compared to "L'Homme," "La Nuit" is much more appropriate for colder weather........It's also probably the best stronger scent I've ever purchased --- it's not overpowering and everyone loves it. Since I live in Florida, I'm sure the "La Nuit" bottles will last me a bit longer, but I think this combination of YSL colognes is a must-have. Until I found "L'Homme," I never wore a cologne for more than a couple months before I got sick of it.

Blog Entries

I like this one too. Don't wear it more than once every few weeks, but it's always a pleasant experience when I do.

Verdict: 1 thumb up, the other hitching a ride to Vegas for another bottle of Guerlain Homme EDP Intense.

Verdict. Still a bottle of pee.

lol^^

If anyone is uninterested in their bottle, I'll gladly swap it out for you
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Opens with a sort of fizzy raspberry, drydown is a really smooth chocolate/vanilla. This is definetly one of my favourites, absolutely beautiful.

I bought a bottle of this a few weeks ago. I love the original L'Homme, so I decided to give this a shot. It's nice, reminds me a little bit of a Dior Homme without the iris. This has lavender which the original did not. Also, in addition to the sweet coumarin notes, there's a substantial dry-woody-amber-- something like karanal or cedramber, which gives it power (The original L'Homme got its drive from dihydromyrcenol I believe). It's an OK scent, but it's like a two stage rocket; after the original scent burns away, there is a really clear Haitian vetiver note that remains almost on its own (The original L'Homme does this trick also, but to a milder degree). It's really kind of neat-- if you wear La Nuit De L'Homme on a Friday night, you will roll out of bed wearing a really nice vetiver scent on Saturday morning--but it's something you couldn't really smell during the first several hours.

In the end, I prefer the orignal L'Homme. The sweetness isn't so obvious and I like the supporting notes of basil and ginger. I made a mental nickname for L'Homme-- "Mellow Yellow"-- because it's just so laid back, soft around the edges and relaxing (and the juice is yellow). I've smelled L'Homme in public on a few interlopers, and it really seemed to work for them--which is the true test of a fragrance-- how it smells to you when others wear it. La Nuit De L'Homme is good, but I'll have to give it time to see if it grows on me as much as L'Homme.

brilliant fragrance, one of my best purchases so far i think. i like the change of the scent over the hours. made an impression an hour or so in.

I received this fragrance for Christmas. I wouldn't have chosen it for myself. Far too sweet for my taste, and that automatically eclipses any other virtues the fragrance might have.

I've tried this twice, and yet - I cannot remember for the life of me what it smells like! I do remember I smelled Dirty English at the same time, though, and both fell into the "forgettable designer" box.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I've tried this twice, and yet - I cannot remember for the life of me what it smells like!
    ditto

Have this and Love this.....Gary

Angry Re: La Nuit de L'Homme - What is the verdict?

...I do remember I smelled Dirty English at the same time, though, and both fell into the "forgettable designer" box.
    Dirty English is a forgettable scent ? Not me Galamb. My nostrils have been tainted with this scent ! I cannot FORGET. I will not forgive ( whomever made this fragrance !).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Nuit is a keeper for me. I got it for my birthday last August. My wife and oldest son (almost 14) picked it out for me at Macy's.
    It is a "romantic" type scent that I think is better for weekend wear. L'Homme original is better for everyday wear.

Sur la Plage

I've tried this twice, and yet - I cannot remember for the life of me what it smells like! I do remember I smelled Dirty English at the same time, though, and both fell into the "forgettable designer" box.
    It is definitely forgettable.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 30th January 2010 at 11:00 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I prefer Fahrenheit Absolute and Dior Homme (&Dior Homme Intense) over this......... YSL La Nuit de L´Homme.......Once past 2 hours is flush skin. I am very disappointed with the new creations from YSL

I own it.. I like it.. Very nice for going out and stuff.
    unico grande amore.

I just tried this and on paper it smells 90% like Avon Black Suede Touch that I already own. Seriously, I cant believe how similiar this frags are. YSL is maybe bit freshier and less pepery but core is same.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Blog Entries

What can I say - I like it. The more I wear it, the more I like it. I agree, Indie - the yellow is mellower, but this version has a coolness that I really appreciate in the summer, and that I think was part of the "Nuit" idea. Not perfect, but in practice it's a go-to frag for me.

I love this fragrance, never had it though. I've tried it multiple time. It just smells really delicious and smooth on me at least. Sparkling apple cider booze to dark chocolate with a very smooth vanilla.

however my friend wore it, and i thought he was wearing chrome. Talk bout body chemistry

I wore this today because I was craving a certain combo of notes. Earlier in the day, I'd worn a decent dose of Creed Bois de Cedrat out while running some errands-- it was such a refreshing scent for a very hot day-- oddly though, I kept getting a sweet, haylike almost tobacco/coumarin note coming from my skin. There is no note in Bois de Cedrat like this. I don't know WHAT was contributing that note-- it was so perfect. I was almost getting a bergamot/very slight lavender/tonka combo and it was driving me nuts.

So when I went to work, I was looking for an obvious sweet tonka note with a woody tobacco-like base and some lavender. I went back and forth over my drobe until I realized the obvious choice was La Nuit De L'Homme. It was exactly what I wanted. It really is great stuff. So easy to wear and a crowd pleaser. This makes a very nice flanker to L'Homme.

Also, two nights ago some guy came into my bar wearing La Nuit De L'Homme and it really was pleasant to smell-- it really worked for this guy. It's a safe scent, but it's better than 95% of the things that most dudes wear.

I love the stuff: nice smell, women like it, reasonable longlasting and good sillage.

Like someone said: better than 95% of the tings that most dudes wear.

one of the best fragrances that's out right now. real talk. it's a no-brainer. GET THIS JUICE!!!!
    ***Top (favorite) 5 Frags in my Own Personal Collection***
    5. Man Eau Fraiche by Versace
    4. Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana
    3. La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    2. Bvlgari Black by Bvlgari
    1. Angel Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Youtube Fragrance Reviews... with a twist at the end! www.youtube.com/user/jaironhoward
    FOLLOW ME!!! www.twitter.com/JaironHoward

MY WARDROBE: http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/