Code of Conduct

Thread: Sycomore

Default Sycomore

Sometimes it takes a few re-visits to the counter to GET a scent, first, the juice has to fit your idea of what it should smell like, it rarely ever does. Second, it has to fit a gap in your collection, for example, I did not get Cormandel because I already had Borneo, or Jubilation XXV, cause it reminds me of Silver factory, which I already have. But most importantly is how it makes you FEEL when you put it on, and it has to be great at ALL stages, most importantly the base, which you are going to have to live with for a few hours.

That being said, I was in saks the other day, they now have Derby, for 220$ mind you ( I use to pay 50 for it) , and Sous le vent for 260$ ( 80 for this one) at the guerlain counter, I love both, but not for the price, I've had both, they are great, but the price tag, YIKES! but, it was my 44th birthday, and I wanted a classic scent, I was debating which to get, when I saw the Exclusives counter a few feet away, I walk over, and decided to smell Sycomore for about the sixth time, and something shifted, it didn't smell like straight up Vetiver, an anise like note kicked in, it reminded me of Timbuktu, but better, more refined, well, sorry Guerlain, I opted for the Chanel, 200$ for 6.5 oz..

I wore the scent the next day, and have to say, was totally blown away, why was this even a debate, in my opinion, it's the vetiver, the heavyness of the root always seems to overpower the drydown, Chanel found a way to keep the green salty facets of Vetiver, and made it seem weightless, you get vetiver, but a really refined presentation, it's elevated to a new realm, the sillage is also flawless, just right, it has this etherial anise like note that really softens the harsh edges of vetiver, my favorite purchase in a long time.

2008 was an good year for scent,it gave me Lyric, and Scent79, Sycomore has made 2008 as a very memorable year for juice, this happens to be my no 1 for now, and for a long time to come I have a feeling. Bravo to Chanel for creating a great masculine classic. and elevating the esthetics of the house.

Any other Sycomore junkies out there??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sycomore

Well, I'm definitely going to look at this one now! My Saks doesn't have it. But I'm going to be able to test this one soon, and I may spring for it. Sounds wonderful. I'm a fan of Chanel, although I don't have a lot of their scents. It's just that I highly respect even those that I don't care to own. It's all just so good.

So maybe I'm a future Sycomore junkie!

Post Thanks / Like

When Sycomore was first released I bought a 5ml sample. I tried it several times only to have it disappear in 5 minutes. I decided maybe I was still missing something so I went down to my basement and got my 5ml sample out that was still half full. I gave myself 4 sprays and proceeded back upsatairs. By the time I got upstairs to type this the scent was gone. Coromandel lasts all day, but Sycomore is like spraying water on me.

Post Thanks / Like

I am afraid to even go and sample it. Your description sounds like there might be consequences for my wallet. Thank you nevertheless, musclegod!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Stop! Stop talking about Sycamore, I want it soooo bad, and all this recent talk is driving me nuts! Too...much....money.....

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    When Sycomore was first released I bought a 5ml sample. I tried it several times only to have it disappear in 5 minutes. I decided maybe I was still missing something so I went down to my basement and got my 5ml sample out that was still half full. I gave myself 4 sprays and proceeded back upsatairs. By the time I got upstairs to type this the scent was gone. Coromandel lasts all day, but Sycomore is like spraying water on me.
    Sycomore was the most disappointing frag I have tried in the last year because of my expectations and what others have said here. It came across thin and shrill, with the same smokey wood thing that Encre Noire does. Sillage and longevity were lacking on me as well. Maybe it was skin chemistry, but I got nothing but 'sour towel' and burnt synthetic wood.

I've never been a big vetiver fan before it, but I must admit Sycomore changed my perspective about this rooty classic note.
    Probably Sycomore stays to vetiver the same as Bois des Iles stays for sandalwood. Of course Sycomore has a more modern vibe respect to the 20's aura Bois des Iles exudes, but the concept is the same: a complex symphonic concerto for orchestra and vetiver with the main rooty note rounded and introduced by green and floral notes and counterpointed by smoky and mineral-salty undertones.
    At the moment I own a sample of it that I preserve for special occasions but sooner or later I could see myself owning a bottle.
    Btw, speaking of Sycomore junkies, where's Mike?

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Sycomore was the most disappointing frag I have tried in the last year because of my expectations and what others have said here. It came across thin and shrill, with the same smokey wood thing that Encre Noire does. Sillage and longevity were lacking on me as well. Maybe it was skin chemistry, but I got nothing but 'sour towel' and burnt synthetic wood.
    Wow, I thought I was the only one here who doesn't like Sycomore. Oh god, the sour towel accord is exactly what I got, too. I agree with musclegod on his Timbuktu comparison, but I find Timbuktu to also be a real sour puss on me.
    My favorite vetivers are by Etro and Annick Goutal.
    Obviously, I really have a problem with sour fragrance notes, however I love sour foods and candies.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 18th March 2009 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Wow, I thought I was the only one here who doesn't like Sycomore. Oh god, the sour towel accord is exactly what I got, too. I agree with musclegod on his Timbuktu comparison, but I find Timbuktu to also be a real sour puss on me.
    My favorite vetivers are by Etro and Annick Goutal.
    Obviously, I really have a problem with sour fragrance notes, however I love sour foods and candies.
    interesting how skin chem can be dramatically different. I don't get at all the timbuktu connection since on me timbuktu turns like a vaguely smoky-fruity candyfloss, faint and with no lasting power. Sycomore instead lasts ages and with lots of sillage.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Beck, if your sample "disapeared" on you, I'd question the validity of the sample. Vetiver is known for it's longivity & Sycomore is a very long lasting scent.
    Whether or not you enjoy it is another matter all together.
    I love it & use it to balance very sweet scents I wouldn't normally wear.
    "Mom….now the kitten smells like Chamade!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Beck, if your sample "disapeared" on you, I'd question the validity of the sample. Vetiver is known for it's longivity & Sycomore is a very long lasting scent.

I'll be near a Chanel Botique next month. I'll make sure I sample Sycomore straight from the botique. Maybe Vetver doesn't last on me though. The heavy duty Turtle Vetiver by Les Nez doesn't even last long on me.

Post Thanks / Like

Sycomore is my favorite vetiver for the reasons described by the member who started the thread... it has all the benefits of a strong vetiver while avoiding the pitfalls. I just skin tested it again last week and got 10 hours of longevity easily, and it was still noticeable lightly for hours after that. Great stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I also find Sycamore to be a very long lasting scent with plenty of sillage - and I tend to go easy on the application.
    Last edited by Delmar; 18th March 2009 at 02:42 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by musclegod007 View Post

Any other Sycomore junkies out there??
    I'm wearing it today and added a brief review to my SotD post here. You might enjoy reading it.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

I like it a lot. Sillage and longevity are excellent on me (8+ hours, and never turns sour).

The smell reminds me of great camping trips I've been on.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a reason why all the Les Exclusifs are only sold in those huge bottles? I would love me a bottle half that size.

Post Thanks / Like

I wondered the same thing myself. Now that I have it, I don't mind the size. It's not all that huge, compared to others bottles in general...we just don't get the option to spend half as much for half the amount.

I guess that's why they call them "exclusive".
    Last edited by andylama; 18th March 2009 at 04:46 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    ...Btw, speaking of Sycomore junkies, where's Mike?
    Here I am!

Yes, I was just discussing Sycomore earlier today with T. Rex, Esq (since I'm skin testing Encre Noire by Lalique today) and we both think it's quite a special fragrance.

It's the florals, that are the kicker for me. They really create this puffy lift to the vetiver notes and help keep it diffusing all around you for the length of the scent on your skin. For this reason, it does that aroma chemical merry-go-round where you smell: vetiver, dirt, grass, smoke, nutty accord, salt, iodine and then back-and-forth - while simultaneously retaining a very masculine feel and a sophisticated aura.

It's not cheap. So to make it more affordable for me, I bought a bottle and split it with three other people. Comes out to about $50 (for the juice itself) per person - pretty affordable.

I've said this before - Sycomore was the BEST Men's Fragrance last year, hands down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I have had a similar experience with Sycomore. I like the scent but the sillage and longevity on me are extremely poor, and I tested it multiple times. Once I used 4 sprays and then within 2 minutes walked over to a coworker and asked him if he could smell anything. He said no, it must be very subtle. Needless to say, I have not purchased it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am just trying sycomore today and I really like it. However I personally think it sits too close to the skin and has very little projection. So far I only put some on my hand...bad idea?

Just in case I do fall for it how long is the Les Esclusifs line going to be out ? Any chance of finding it in an airport duty free shop?

I have the large bottle of this and I love it. Never have had any longevity concerns with this.

Post Thanks / Like

I like it a lot, but I find it works a lot better when the weather isn't so warm. I think it's ideal for the spring and fall. In the summer I feel the heat and humidity can overwhelm it. Also, it's not the type of scent that mixes well with sweat, imo...

Guest05

Last edited by Guest05; 10th March 2012 at 05:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The Chanel Exclusives, as I always say, are probably among the best, top-notch quality fragrances money will buy. I mean, c'mon $220 for SIX OUNCES of pure bliss that will probably last you at least half a decade?

Sycomore is a fine, fine fragrance and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a new vetiver in their wardrobe or anyone that just loves fragrances in general.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a wonderful scent. I was almost ready to pull the trigger but the projection just isn't there for me. It seems to stick very close to my skin. I could see a little more projection in warmer environments but overall it was rather mild on me. Comparing it to giorgio beverly hills which I use is like comparing a mouse to an elephant.

If only sycomore worked better with my skin.... I would have been more than happy to spend some money. This scent could be the difference between a good night out and a REALLY good night out...very sexy very edible very unique...tres chic.

Unfortunately not potent enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I'm sure everyone else around you can smell it.

Post Thanks / Like

So I threw this on on a cool, rainy evening in NYC...

Yeah, this stuff still rules...

Masculine smell, yet so very fragile...

Post Thanks / Like

I tried this scent a few weeks ago and I bought a 75ml bottle at the weekend. Should be here tomorrow. Can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like

Any British Basenoters know of anywhere that carries Sycomore, are any of the other Chanel exclusives?

Is it only Harrods? Was hoping to sampe it outside of London if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I think it's Selfridge's (there's one in Brum I think). I ordered mine from the Chanel boutique on New Bond Street. £10 delivery charge which seemed cheaper than a round-trip to central London for me...

Post Thanks / Like

I like it. Very grapefruity to my nose. A bit overpriced and not on my wish list though...

Post Thanks / Like

It's one of the longest lasting fragrances I own and it easily outperforms almost anything you can put on a blotter. It's intense and durable close up with steady sillage that projects an aura of about three feet, which is right on for any good masculine fragrance. Like so many others, sampling it is deceptive. When you haven't worn it much the fragrance might feel as though it's burning out, but it's far from the case. The stuff keeps on giving for as long as anyone would want. It's also far more complex than first impressions would lead you to believe, being one of those that works like some kind of magic pulsating bubble, revealing subtle nuance in different ways for the first several months. It's rich and satisfying on a level with things such as Patou pour Homme (I actually like it better than PPH these days), and I find very little genuine similarity with Encre Noire. Among many other things, Sycomore has tremendous size, depth and complexity, whereas Encre Noire is a tiny little composition made of 45% ISO E Super, which only supplies the thinnest layer of high pitched woods compared to the deep earth and far more natural feel of Sycomore. Encre Noire smells nice but it's cheap. So much so that I can't even wear it. I mean the piercing woods are damn near enough to activate tinnitus. Terre d'Hermes uses even more ISO E Super than Encre Noire, but the design has real size and shape, and it all feels far more natural and plush. And why wouldn't it? Ellena is one of the few great perfumers left.

But this was about Sycomore, and I'm just glad I found it, because true quality is rare these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what a superb review, pluran. I'm a big fan of the TdH and can't wait to get my bottle of Sycomore so that I can bathe in it. My sample spray on a card lasted about a week. I bet on an oily skin that would go for days!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It's one of the longest lasting fragrances I own....
    Agree. I've said it before, but I just can't conceive of anyone finding this wanting in longevity. I love it dearly.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a 100ml bottle of this last week and have been wearing it ever since. It is such a beauty and so sexy it's blowing me away. Fortunately it mixes extremely well with my skin and body chemistry. It has a little bit of a "sweat factor" but not much. Mainly you notice the bottom vetiver note when it peeks it's head out but it's no sillage monster...at least on me. If it did have incredible sillage I would be blown away never to return to anything else.

Tonight however I had to ruin it for myself. I put guerlain on one arm and sycomore on the other. Wearing guerlain again was like arriving back home after a long trip...man did I miss it. Both my father and my uncle on my mother's side wear it. It has been genetically proven to work for me and I cannot ignore that fact.

The 100ml bottle of sycomore I have will be in a safe place for whenever that special evening arrives when noses are neck to neck with each other. After a week of using sycomore I conclude that it would be an excellent bed scent...beyond belief... but has no place for me in day to day life. Guerlain rips as far as flexibility. It is the ultimate fragrance for me...genetically speaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I tried this scent a few weeks ago and I bought a 75ml bottle at the weekend. Should be here tomorrow. Can't wait!
    I have a quick question, the Chanel website describes the smaller size container as a collectible 2.5 oz. flacon. Does that mean it does not have a sprayer on top?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    I have a quick question, the Chanel website describes the smaller size container as a collectible 2.5 oz. flacon. Does that mean it does not have a sprayer on top?
    No. It has a sprayer.

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is interested Heperd is splitting this right now!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Noir De Noir
    3. Musc Ravageur
    4. Bois D'Argent
    5. Aoud 1
    6. Aventus
    7. Ore
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Ambre 114

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    it does have one, and this stuff is great

Post Thanks / Like

Duplicate post...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racuda View Post
    No. It has a sprayer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    it does have one, and this stuff is great
    Thanks! I was concerned that it would simply be a bottle with a stopper. I guess I am used to hearing about large flacons that do not have an atomizer.