Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Your favorite flanker?

For those new to Basenotes a flanker is: a fragrance that is based upon a previously released fragrances, but with some difference (Polo Sport is a flanker of Polo). Of course sometimes a flanker keeps a bit of the original in the flanker. Other times, it can be an entirely different fragrance. We are NOT talking about a different formulation of a fragrance (EdC vs. EdT vs. parfum) - but rather an entirely new fragrance under an entirely different name. Sometimes, even a new bottle is created for the scent (most times, the bottle is visually connected to the original).

Inspired by this post on Now Smell This, I started thinking about what my favorite flanker is. It's a hard question. It seems that it's easier to find a bad flanker out there, then to find one that actually improves on the original and/or takes it into a wonderful and different place.

In the article Erin mentions here 5 favorite are: Declaration Essence by Cartier, Concentree d'Orange Verte by Hermes, Premier Figuier Extreme by L'Artisan Parfumeur, No. 5 Eau Premiere by Chanel and Organza Indecence by Givenchy.

Mine? Shalimar Eau Legere (Light) by Guerlain. Yes, it's discontinued, but it's still very easily available online at certain discounters and at Ebay. It takes a wonderful oriental, vanilla classic scent and adds the most sweetest lemon accord to it. The effect is one of aromatic, slightly sticky, lemon pound cake. Yet crisp and not too cloying or thick. Just perfect and easily unisex too.

Yours?

Default Re: Your favorite flanker?

Id say Allure Homme edition Blanche (closely followed by Live Jazz, if that counts as a flanker)
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

If B*Men is a flanker, it is my favourite. Very close runner ups would be Dior Homme Intense, Concentree d'Orange Verte and M7 Fresh. All four have in common that they took the concept of the original and made it (more) wearable/feasible for me. I believe that's what makes a great flanker: Take something good and make it even better. Body Kouros is also nice but it's hard to smell the connection to the original.

Now, all those summer versions really don't grab me except those for the male and female Opium.

Interesting question. I'm not usually big on flankers. Polo Modern Reserve comes to mind. Guerlain Vetiver Extreme is pretty good as well.

Boucheron homme fraicheur
    L'eau bleu D'issey fraiche
    Allure Homme Cologne Sport
    Also I second the Modern Reserve.

Rive gauche intense is pretty good in comparison to the original.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Quote Originally Posted by supracuhz View Post
    Rive gauche intense is pretty good in comparison to the original.
    I actually prefer the fraiche to the intense...

I have a few, topped probably by Dior Hypnoic Poison. It's a crime this fragrance was made as a Poison flanker because it has nothing to do with the original at all. Some others (many have been mentioned):

No.5 Eau Premiere
    Fahrenheit Summer
    Allure Homme Sport
    Polo Modern Reserve
    A*Men Pure Coffee
    M7 Fresh

Do Aramis Ice and Aramis Cool count as flankers? I think so since they're in the same style bottle as Aramis.

Hypnotic Poison- first wearing tonight, its just freaking amazing, I think that this may just be fb worthy... Time to hit eBay
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

Well I absolutly hate Dior's poision but Hypnotic Poison is almond heaven
    and I also would rather wear No. 5 ED Premeire than the original
    even though I do enjoy the good old No 5 as well, it's just kind of to asture
    for everyday use

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Id say Allure Homme edition Blanche
    This would be my favorite flanker too.

Basenotes Plus

I dislike flankers in general but have come to appreciate Chanel #5 Eau Premiere. In fact, I like it much more than the original #5 edp. In fact, EP is very unflanker-like. Different bottle size than original, so different box, of course. It wasn't "out" a millisecond after the original was launched. It's decidedly different from the original.

Yessss...I like it.
    Last edited by RHM; 18th March 2009 at 09:57 PM.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Id say Allure Homme edition Blanche (closely followed by Live Jazz, if that counts as a flanker)
    Couldn't agree more. Those are my two as well.

Definitely L'Instant eau Extreme is number one ... followed by M7 Fresh and B* Men. I like all three better than the originals.

Kiton Napoli
    Allure Homme edition Blanche
    Boss Elements Aqua
    Boss Balderessini Del Mar

Cheers,
    Ali

Vetiver Eau Glacée by Guerlain
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Allure Homme Sport
    Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir
    CK Obsession Night
    Last edited by frug; 20th March 2009 at 01:47 PM.

Duh, M7 Fresh of course. Better than the original.

Another vote for Hypnotic Poison. Delicious, and better than that which it flanks.

Plus, an honorable mention for Guerlain Vetiver Eau Glacee. Not better than the original, but nice without that pesky soapy note.

Dior Homme's Cologne and Intense are both very good takes on the original. DH Sport, not so much.
    Bvlgari pour Homme Soir is much better to me than the original. I also prefer Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir to the original, the leather adds a dimension that makes me really love it rather than just appreciate it. Allure Homme Edition Blanche is the best flanker to Allure.
    And for the 'ladies'; YSL Elle Intense. Adds smoke, incense, and inkyness to the original. Yes please (Insolence EDP, although it's not strictly speaking a flanker, is a marked improvement on the already incredible Insolence). I don't like the Dior Addict flankers (Eau Fraiche as an exception), as they aren't related at all, they just have the same shape bottle - they might as well have been new ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I dislike flankers in general but have come to appreciate Chanel #5 Eau Premiere. In fact, I like it much more than the original #5 edp. In fact, EP is very unflanker-like. Different bottle size than original, so different box, of course. It wasn't "out" a millisecond after the original was launched. It's decidedly different from the original.

Yessss...I like it.
    The EDP isn't the original fragrance - Parfum launched in 1921, EDT in 1924, EDP in 1986.

I'd also endorse Hypnotic Poison as a beautiful scent that I find superior to the original.

I am not big on flankers either but some that have been very good is Polo Crest and Polo Modern Reserve.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

A possibly silly question here, but since Montale has an Original Aoud, does that mean all their other Aouds are flankers?

Live Jazz, Body Kouros, M7 Fresh, yeah, YSL really like their flankers.

Ungaro III can also be considered a flanker, can't it?

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    all vetiver's flankers were good, but i still prefer the original. my favorite flanker would have to be concentre d'orange verte.

Loving all this Hypnotic Poison love. It's been my favorite for years. I always knew I had good taste!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Gblue View Post
    The EDP isn't the original fragrance - Parfum launched in 1921, EDT in 1924, EDP in 1986.
    Each of Chanel #5 formulations vary in ingredients around the key notes of may rose & Grasse jasmine. They are not, however, lighter variations of the same fragrance. I am aware that the parfum was created prior to the other formulations.

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that Chanel #5 Eau Premiere is a flanker to Chanel #5 edp. Making the edp the "original" to which I referred.

Flankers are confusing.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Havana Reserva
    Rive Gauche Intense
    Jazz Prestige

Quote Originally Posted by scentaddiction View Post

??

Is that the light version?

Basenotes Institution

Flankers are confusing RHM.

To answer your question Galamb, I think if Montale's Original Aoud came out first, then the other Aoud releases (Black Aoud, Red Aoud, White Aoud...) could be called flankers. Did Original Aoud come out first?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th March 2009 at 12:11 AM.

Body Kouros and M7 Fresh are better than the originals,in my opinion.
    But the best is Jaipur Homme Fraicheur Epicee ,a lighter and much more wearable Jaipur.
    http://www.parfyym.pri.ee/?op=body&id=199&cid=5580
    By the way,there are numerous flankers of Boucheron Pour Homme and Jaipur and not all of them recorded...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Kouros Fraicheur!!!
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    Interesting question. I'm not usually big on flankers. Polo Modern Reserve comes to mind. Guerlain Vetiver Extreme is pretty good as well.
    I agree with Vetiver Extreme.

Off-Scenter

Alas, mine is the late, lamented Tuscany per Uomo Forte.

Aramis Reserve
    "We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"

AromiErotici

Antaeus Sport. I found it to be a little deeper than the original Antaeus. Great find.

Polo Modern Reserve.
    Gary

Guerlain Vetiver Sport

Blog Entries

A*Men Pure Coffee
    Kouros Sport
    M7 Fresh
    Eau Sauvage Cuir Fraicheur
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Jean Patou • Pour Homme Prive
    Yves Saint Laurent • Body Kouros

Body Kouros is obvious
    Must PH L'Essence is quite sublime
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

My vote also goes to B*Men. Love this stuff and bought the one with the cool rubber flask for cheap! It's just a shame the weather is warming up so I can't wear it as often during the day. Good thing the night is still cold!

Mine? L'Artisan's Ambre Extreme, the flanker of their earlier L'Eau d'Ambre.

Probably out of them all I would have to say ...
    polo sport extreme !
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

24, Faubourg Eau Délicate
    Bvlgari Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge, if it can be considered a flanker of Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert.

Two that have just come to mind are Ava Luxe's Rasa Extreme and Frederic Malle's Bigarade Concentree.

Aramis Tuscany Forte...I still hate myself for selling it.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Mike alraedy mentioned my favorites: Shalimar Eau Legere, Declaration Essence and No. 5 Eau Premiere.

I also like Vol de Nuit Evasion and a Cartier Pasha Menthe that my dad owned.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 19th March 2009 at 05:23 AM.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by scentaddiction View Post
    Does it exist?
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Santos Eau de Sport

Blog Entries

Chanel no.5 Eau Première
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne
    Givenchy Pi Neo

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Live Jazz - YSL

Nice ambergris touch
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I don't think of the various Montale Aouds as flankers as much as it's a 'line' with the 'Aoud' name designation to indicate that it contains an oud accord, but hey it's just semantics.

I, too am glad to see the Hypnotic Poison love. It's one of the fragrances I wish I could shout to everyone "try this! try this! it's good and you'd never know it!" It deserves to be far more discussed than it is, and it's completely unisex.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com
    Probably out of them all I would have to say ...
    polo sport extreme
    This one is interesting because it's the rare flanker of a flanker (Polo Sport Extreme flanks Polo Sport, which flanks Polo). Never tried it but I've always been curious what it smells like.

I don't know if Hermes Kelly Caleche is a rightful flanker of Caleche, but if it is we can include that one.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Each of Chanel #5 formulations vary in ingredients around the key notes of may rose & Grasse jasmine. They are not, however, lighter variations of the same fragrance. I am aware that the parfum was created prior to the other formulations.

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that Chanel #5 Eau Premiere is a flanker to Chanel #5 edp. Making the edp the "original" to which I referred.

Flankers are confusing.
    According to my training notes, EP is just an 'updated variation' of the fragrance, but I would call it a flanker.
    None of Chanel's different concentrations have the same ingredients, they always add and take away - which is practically impossible to explain to customers ("it still smells the same though!"). It's why the EDP versions of No5 (sharp and fatty) and No19 (fetid) are so repulsive to me in comparison to the EDT.

My fav flanker is one that's much hated on this board: Givenchy Insense Ultramarine.
    It's definitely the loudest scent I own...it's a piercingly strong (can be headache inducing) spicy aquatic and I absolutely understand why it's hated...but I apply it in moderation and I only wear it in the summertime - it always reminds me of going on vacation.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Fujiyama Black

I'll go with Pour Monsieur Concentree.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    This one is interesting because it's the rare flanker of a flanker (Polo Sport Extreme flanks Polo Sport, which flanks Polo). Never tried it but I've always been curious what it smells like.
    Polo Sport Extreme smells like the strongest black pepper note you've ever smelled, concentrated into a fragrance and then set atop the original Polo Sport aquatic base. If those sturdy pepper notes could be removed and made into a fragrance all by themselves it'd be great. As it is though, the aquatic base really annoys me.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th March 2009 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I, too am glad to see the Hypnotic Poison love. It's one of the fragrances I wish I could shout to everyone "try this! try this! it's good and you'd never know it!" It deserves to be far more discussed than it is, and it's completely unisex.
    I keep thinking about spraying some on my husband...I think I might like it even more on him....
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 19th March 2009 at 02:12 PM.

Kouros Fraicheur
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.