Code of Conduct

Default birthday fragrance for my girlfriend....

right now she is a d&g nut almost exclusively wearing "the one" and "light blue" although oftentimes she will go in and steal my a*men or lomani ignition... i want to get her something niche for her birthday in a couple weeks, but i'm not really sure where to start... as we are in florida and temps are already in the 80's i think something lighter, perhaps a citrusy blend will do the trick... any help on where to start???
    At your service

Blog Entries

Default Re: birthday fragrance for my girlfriend....

Miller Harris's Tangerine Vert? Bright fizzy citrus, very long lasting....

Blog Entries

This one is a "try before you buy" but I think you both might enjoy Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune. It's at my local Sephora right now, and those nice girls don't seem to mind making samples at all.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

If you want to go niche, and really go luxe, you can try Indult's Manakara, which has a delightful lychee note (so does The One). It's available to buy (and sample) at Luckyscent.com.

Oops...I had originally typed Isvaraya by Indult, but actually it's Manakara which has the lychee.
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 20th March 2009 at 11:53 PM.

Hillaire

I just smelled L'Atisan's La Chasse Aux Papillons Extreme and it was really, really nice. Very feminine and very modern. I think young woman of taste would find it very satisfying.

I'm surprised no one's chimed in with Eau d'Hadrien yet. The most citrusy citrus I can think of.

You could also get her a bunch of Jo Malones, including some of their citruses and others, and present her with a little fragrance set she can play around with.

On the subject of Jo Malone, she's done a really nice Fig. I always like the fig leaf scents in the heat, if you'd like a bit of an alternative to citrus. There are lots of nice ones - L'Artisan's Figuiers, Diptique's Phylosokos, Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee...

I mention this only because it's a slightly different note that's still green and fresh, so it gives your darling a bit more choice.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Get her a bunch of samples (such as those mentioned above, all great options), give them to her in a gift box with a note that says 'good for purchase of a full bottle of any of these fragrances' or something like that).

If you really want to present a bottle to her, my .02 is Eau Neuve de Lubin (at LS and Aedes). Everyone I've given samples to, men and women, have loved it. It's a very rich citrus, perfect for warm weather, but with good longevity.

I think the Jo Malone rec was a good one. They have various citrusy scents to pick from and I think she would appreciate the presentation/packaging.
    Also L'Artisan has some citrusy scents with wood in the base (like Light Blue): The pour un Ete (jasmine tea) and Mandarine tout Simplement (but this is may be too fleeting for someone who is used to D&G fragrances).

She might also like Annick Goutal Folavril, Le Chevrefeuille or Eau de Hadrien - the Jo Malone recommendation is definitely seconded here; she might really enjoy some of the scents from that line too. Miller Harris Citron Citron is a good, crisp cologne-y green citrus (one of the best I've smelled), but may not be all that romantic as a present, who knows. You could also see if there are any body products available from the scents she already likes and go for a safe bet like that.

Blog Entries

Say, you've changed your avatar! Is that your girlfriend? She's very beautiful!

My earlier recommendation was based on your previous, somewhat dark and gloomy looking avatar. I was trying to come up with a punk-citrus. Pamplelune doesn't fit the picture I see now, however (she's not a dirty patchouli kind of girl, I'm thinking). So I'm instead going to recommend Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil. Eau de Hadrien is a nice, straightforward lemony-lime citrus, but isn't especially feminine, if that matters. Another she might like is Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile.

p.s. For non-niche, have her try Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess. Couldn't be a more obvious choice.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 23rd March 2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: added p.s.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous