Code of Conduct

Default Une Rose Chyprée - Andy Tauer

I actively participated on the advent raffle that Andy Tauer hosted in Decamber and I won a selection of samples including the not yet released Une Rose Chypree. I haven't dared to try it before inb case I loved it and had to wait and see whether it would be released. I'm impatient, I don't want to wait and be careful with the few mls I had in the sample.

I tried it today though, now I'm not good when it comes to picking out notes so if I mention a note consider it an impression and most of this review is based on impressions.

Opening: Oh dear, when is this going to be released? This year, yes, but I need to know the day and time so I can refresh his webshop. It opens up sparkling fresh, there is a warm generous helping of good quality rose that has depth but it's kept from being too heavy from this fresh experience that might be lemon. A bit later there is definite chypre action going on and the combination of a very present rose with the chypre effect is kind of like having rose champagne. Now before you think of synthetic modern champagne notes, think on the classic chypre effect of that sparkling sensation that isn't really one note but the combination of a few giving that chypre thing. Here it is made modern. This might be very feminine for some though.
    Middle stuff: The sparkling fresh that reminds me a little of vetiver dance is fading a bit and becomes a bit tamer and maybe even a little musky. There is still a nice rose going on. I noticed that if you snort your wrist you get a lot of heavy almost resinous notes, but if you just go on as normal you still catch the beautiful harmony of the chypre action plus rose but not in your face. It's also warming up a lot and it becomes dry. You can see a lot of Le Maroc Pour Elle in this creation, but it's less sweet and dryer than Le Maroc
    Dry Down: Very dry, a bit sweet and resinous. Woody in a Cedre, feminite du bois kind of way. People say that Andy Tauers scents of this signature smell to them and I think it is present here. It's lovely and I'd call it resinous, a bit like marrocain incense before you burn it. Again I recall Le Maroc Pour Elle.

Try Maroc Pour Elle and Vetiver Dance, imagine them together but remove the blackberry fruit thing from Vetiver Dance but take that fresh sparling effect and apply it to the start of le maroc pour elle, turn down the spices, make it less sweet. Add a dollop of classic chypre to the rose in there and you might get an idea of how it is.

I really admire Andy Tauer's take on chypre. Many chypre's for me just lack this depth and the sparkling stuff is fun but if there is no balance with something heavy it just gives me a headache. Because of the rose I think this is very well balanced. I'd classify it as a oriental rose chypre.

I might compre it more closely to le maroc pour elle to see whether it is really worth purchasing if you already own le maroc but oh man the opening is just incredible. I don't know how he did it, but it's magic. Very uplifting, bright, happy but with the sensual rose in there it makes it very appealing to me.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Default Re: Une Rose Chyprée - Andy Tauer

Hm, I still have a sample in my drawer. I remember I was quite underwhelmed with it (as with all Tauer scents except for L'Air and oh well, Lonestar Memories) but it's a chypre alright.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I am traveling , away from my samples, and did not bring my Maroc pour elle with me , but if memory serves me right, Rose chypree is a very different mood and vibe from Le Maroc pour elle.

I am surprised to find that prefer le Mroc pour elle (big, spicy, kind of sweet and jammy) to Une rose chypree. I do not remember Une Rose chypree as well so I can't eleaborate....

...but all of this to say, if you like one you may not like the other as well.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

To my great regret, I found Une Rose Chypree too full-on in every sense, as I do most Tauer scents except L'Air du Desert Marocain and Incense Extreme. There is something about the piquant combination of spice and incense and herbal notes that gets up my nose in an almost asphyxiating way.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    To my great regret, I found Une Rose Chypree too full-on in every sense, as I do most Tauer scents except L'Air du Desert Marocain and Incense Extreme. There is something about the piquant combination of spice and incense and herbal notes that gets up my nose in an almost asphyxiating way.
    I completely agree. Actually, I haven't found any Tauer scents that I care for....perfumistas gasping the world over! Rose Chypree is thick. There's no other way for me to describe it. Not just heavy, but 'thick'.

Basenotes Institution

Sounds lovely. I love 'thick' Tauer fragrances.

I think it is already available at Luckyscent.
    Evenstar

I sampled this for the first time yesterday.

I know several BNers won a sample some time ago in the competition held on Andy's website, and for some of you, your opinions were mixed. To my mind, its an absolute stunner!!

I've just posted a review on my blog (see link in my signature below).

These days any non-fruity rose is a good rose. But I'll admit I haven't caught the Tauer virus yet, except for LADDM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

anyone knows when Rose Chypre will be available as a sample on Tauer web site?

Kess, the launch is July 1st, so I imagine the samples will be available from that date.

ah, a good excuse to delay a sample order

I had a dream about this fragrance last night for some odd reason
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

There is a review with a draw for samples on Perfume Shrine right now:

une-rose-chypree-by-tauer-perfumes

Basenotes Institution

As a chypre lover (and a big fan of the discontinued Orris), I really want to try this. I like the small bottle size too. The price is a little more than I want to pay, but isn't every release these days?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Can I crow a little and mention that when I dropped into the only shop in Switzerland that sells Tauer's fragrances (the most fabulous bookshop on a narrow little lane in Zurich old town) to buy a bottle of L'Air, the very nice gent who owns the place gave me a sample of this. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'm going to have to now I've read Lian's description!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Oooh! I'd love to hear what you think Wordbird!