Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Do you wear florals?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I wear floral fragrances...

96 71.11%
  • I wear fragrances with some floral notes, but nothing that's mostly floral...

33 24.44%
  • No, I avoid floral fragrances...

6 4.44%

Default Men And Florals...

So, as it's a Night Of The Polls on Basenotes, I thought I'd ask a recurring question - do you wear florals?

There has been a bit of a back and forth over men wearing florals here, so I thought I'd see how many do and how many don't on principle as oppose to talking about specific fragrances.

Default Re: Men And Florals...

In principle I would, but in actual practice, rarely. Entirely for aesthetic reasons, not because I'm insecure about my masculinity or anything like that.

I had to choose the middle option. It's something I definitely want to look into. However, my girlfriend doesn't like flowers on her own skin because she thinks it smells like her grandmother. She hasn't noticed any florals in mine (specifically Dior Homme, Ungaro III, and Sung Homme) so I wonder if I got something truly floral, would she notice it?

I'm limited by money though, so my spending has come to a halt. It's one of the first areas I'll explore, though.

Dior Homme, Paestum Rose, Iris Poudre, and Aqua di Parma Colonia all feature a prominent floral accord and I enjoy them regularly.

Since I like fragrances, it doesn't make sense to me to avoid a huge percentage of available offerings to explore. I started with iris and moved on to violette and heliotrope..... eventually I got into rose, jasmine, and gardenia. There are still some 'white florals' I don't like (i.e. lily of the valley), and I don't like fruity floral fragrances in general, but gosh, there's so many amazing florals I can't imagine not being able to try them. I can't say I've developed any real sophistication for floral fragrances enough to make any recommendations, but I do know what I like. I recently tried a discontinued L'Artisan - Orchidee Blanche, which was just amazing.

Yes, definitely!

Blog Entries

I like some floral-prominent scents. It really depends. Some florals like rose and jasmine are pretty easy for a guy to wear without even thinking about it. Luckily, I really like those, too. And I love floral/wood combinations - they come across nicely for me. Others just don't appeal to me. Honestly, I don't even like the really prissy florals on my wife. On her, I prefer a nice feminine aquatic or green, a moderate floral, or an oriental.

Thumbs up Re: Men And Florals...

Yes and i enjoy wearing them !!!!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Yes I do. I think the one floral note I have trouble with is tuberose. It isn't that I think it is too feminine - I just don't seem to like it on me.

everyone wears them. few know it, few (like me) don't. i would have voted for the 4th option "maybe, i don't know"

Predominantly florals? That includes Insensé... well, no. Dior's Homme... neither - still the leather dry down is superb.

But Antaeus is alright.

Fer shizz. And there's more floral content in men's perfumery than one can appreciate at first. Rose, lavender and carnation, and synthetics designed to represent them, are in all sorts of compositions for depth.I think if most men came into contact with floral essential oils and absolutes first, rather than associating florals with accords where they're sweetened with amber and vanilla notes, there would be much less of this association of floral scents with femininity. In other cultures--Arab culture and rose for instance--there isn't the same association. Remember that flowers are the penises as well as the vaginas of the plant world.

who the hell can honestly say they don't love the sweet beautiful gifts from the earth??? some may be too intense, some may not compliment other notes in their elixirs, but the truth remains you'd be hard pressed to find anyone completely put off by florals
    At your service

To be honest i think that perfumes shouldn't be or treated as a concept.
    I think it is more important to feel the interaction between the perfume, your skin and the nose.
    Thinking this way, will create more space to enjoy perfumes instad of catogorising them
    and then to love or avoid some catogories.
    Last edited by moreda; 19th March 2009 at 12:36 PM.

I love a good jasmine, rose, tubereuse, white lily, lavender dominated fragrance. Outside of lavender and perhaps rose, one really has to go into the feminine designated frags to explore the range of florals. My current favorite is Nicolai's Odalisque; jasmine and tubereuse over a salty moss base. Amazingly fresh on a guy.
    Arabian attars based on rose are perhaps the most sophisticated male fragrances in existence. They are like 80's power florals.
    Alain Delon's Iquitos is so floral that it's almost perverse.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 19th March 2009 at 01:27 PM.

Do I wear them? With PRIDE
    Do I wear them often? Unfortunately no, I only have Reflection Man and Rose 31

I wear fragrances for myself and I love floral scents. They are sensual and go well on my skin. I love tuberose, rose, jasmine, violet. One of my first posts, under another name, was about the pleasures of rose fragrances on men. Now they are becoming more popular and I'm delighted.

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    I think it is more important to feel the interaction between the perfume, your skin and the nose.
    Thinking this way, will create more space to enjoy perfumes instead of categorising them
    and then to love or avoid some categories.
    I agree. And yes, I do wear scents that feature prominent floral accords.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

j just recently started experimenting with white florals. In particular TF Champaga absolute.
    the top note are kinda loud and I felt a little self-conscious the first few times I wore it. but with in 15 mins the top notes dissapated a bit and it became much more subtle and enjoyable. I've actually become quite fond of florals as long as they are a bit subdued.

I wear fragrances with some floral notes, but nothing that's mostly floral...

Off-Scenter

I wear florals. I wear tuberose. I am man, hear me grunt.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 19th March 2009 at 06:57 PM.

Yes I do - and I'm with you Mo! Succinctly said!

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post

thank u Dimmy

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I dip into the florals when I sometimes feel like a big flowery bouquet. Favorites: rose, carnation, violets, tuberose and lily of the valley (mugets).

But no matter how boisterous I might feel, I never stoop to the Poison. I draw the line there.

I wear florals with aplomb!
    Yay!

Oh yeah. What I don't wear is anything dripping with syrupy fruit or berries. Some floral notes can be quite dry, sensual, or masculine.

Absolutely! Doesn't mean I wear all florals or many florals. I wear what works and florals often do. Hammam Bouquet, HM, and Ormolu are three that immediately come to mind.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Yes, especially rose and iris fragrances. The new Delrae fragrance, Mythique, has a very rich orris butter note. Very high quality.

Yep I wear florals, love them to bits.

Particularly rose...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

my favorite. no shame to my game

Some florals even belong to my favorites, because they manage to be, at the same time, both floral AND manly.

Soliflores I love to inhale.
    Bourbon lilies are to die for,
    and I am so impressed that they have
    never been copied successfully -
    1 up for nature !
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by vibert View Post
    i wear florals. I wear tuberose. I am man, hear me grunt.

idem
    Last edited by Magnifiscent; 20th March 2009 at 01:18 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Without a doubt!
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Wearing a beautifully done rose fragrance today. Amouage Lyric Man. I'm also wearing a dab of Amouage Homage Attar on my arm for personal enjoyment.

Thumbs up Re: Men And Florals...

The tuberose of FRACAS is amazing on a man skin after 30 minutes....
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I think i may have gotten stares from people while wearing SL Fleurs d'Orangers before lol

I guess this a good time to remember Scentemental's lemma
    "Almost all great men's fragrances have a solid floral component in their heart notes"

Gimme Iris! Creamy, makeupy, innocent.
    Gimme Violets! Sweet and plump
    Gimme Roses! Dark, Romantic or Fruity.
    Gimme Jasmine! Raw, sexual, almost tangy.
    Gimme Tuberose! Indolic memory of a classier time.
    Gimme Angelica! Sheer and virginal.
    Gimme Lavender! Herbal, British and soapy.
    Gimme Jacaranda! seriously, gimme jacaranda! The smell of summer, of infatuation, of the fresh breeze under the most beautiful tree.
    Last edited by irish; 20th March 2009 at 06:36 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Carnal Flower is beautiful. I dream about it and need a small decant.

I love so many florals made for men -- yuppers, all the way from Insensé pour Homme to Ténéré to Anucci pour Homme to, well, so many others.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 20th March 2009 at 06:35 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I recently sample Red Sea by Micallef and it has rose, iris, neroli, cinnamon, sandalwood, white musk...It is stunning stuff. Kind of dusty and elegant. Shit. I hate luckyscent.

A great new floral that is easily unisex IMO.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 20th March 2009 at 06:36 PM.

Yep. I'm getting ready to order a new bottle of Kenzo Power, which my wife loved on me last night. I wore a spray on my arm from a sample, and she went ga-ga over it. She also raves over Dior Homme, from which I have received many compliments from her and others (men and women).

Fleur du Male, however, I could not make peace with.

Yes!!!!
    I adore the floral fragrances for man.

I am a fanatic of Fleur du Male (Orange Blossom).

Florals often create a very "full" olfactory experience, to the point of near suffocation (mostly if there is not enough dynamism). I've learned to appreciate the dynamic ones (like Iquitos). Other kinds of frags that are "flat" can be enjoyable, perhaps because they are "thinner" and not overbearing. I don't see a problem with "masculinity" for any frag, because you can always just put a tiny dab or two on your chest so that others can't really smell it.

Since Carnal Flower and 88 are my 2 fav fragrances my answer was kind of obvious.

I wear very often floral , the ones that i m enjoying the most besides the 2 aforementionned are:

Paestum Rose
    Une Rose from Malle
    Iris Poudré
    Lys Méditérannée
    Incense rosé from Tauer
    Black orchid (gourmand for sure but also floral)
    Oxford and Cambridge if you count Lavender in it
    Black Aoud
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Alain Delon's Iquitos is - in my opinion - easily the most feminine fragrance I own. But it's also one of my top three.

Yes !
    Nino Cerutti PH the original one is my top floral at the moment .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43