Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which of these 2 would you most like to see advance? SELECT ONE FROM EACH GROUP ONLY

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • (Group A) Czech & Speake No. 88

50 47.17%
  • (Group A) Creed Bois du Portugal

49 46.23%
  • (Group B) Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

67 63.21%
  • (Group B) Caron L'Anarchiste

31 29.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Blog Entries

Default BMM09: 3/19 Games 53&54 (BdP vs. No.88, Ambre Sultan vs. L'Anarchiste)

Basenotes March Madness 2009
    Games 53 & 54
    (Round 3)
    Poll ends March 20.

(7) Czech & Speake No. 88 vs. (11) Creed Bois du Portugal
    (7) Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan vs. (11) Caron L'Anarchiste

Here's the updated bracket after the first 52 games:

Remember to only vote for one in each group. If you don't have a preference in a matchup you don't have to vote. If you want both in a group to advance, too bad; voting for both is statistically the same as not voting at all, so quit being so indecisive.

Poll will close in 24 hours.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 20th March 2009 at 02:50 AM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Default Re: BMM09: 3/19 Games 53&54 (BdP vs. No.88, Ambre Sultan vs. L'Anarchiste)

Tough call.. i will go with Ambre Sultan though

Blog Entries

Default Re: BMM09: 3/19 Games 53&54 (BdP vs. No.88, Ambre Sultan vs. L'Anarchiste)

My bottle talks on BdP. But what a tough call.

Morning Star

Bee-Dee-Pee all the way, babeeeeeeee ...

Ambre Sultan was an easy choice. But the other was like cutting off one or the other leg. I ultimately had to vote BdP, simply because I prefer wearing it to the current C&S No. 88 formulation, even if the latter may be the more intellectually challenging scent. Now if we were talking vintage No. 88 it would be a whole different ballgame...but that was then and this is now.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Go L'Anarchiste and No. 88! I really hope two of my favorite frags make it closer to the top.

Come on no 88. You can't lose against such a boring scent

Voted l'Anarchiste in the second one but with no illusion. I find Ambre Sultant amazing and perfectly balanced but in fact I realize recently that it bores me quickly. Which is not the case at all of l'Anarchiste. But well, AS is one of these monsters who ll lose only against another monster.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

I really can't believe that no.88 is beating BdP. I mean its...nice. But there are much MUCH better rose scents out there. BdP is amazing, elegant, and about as good as perfumery gets. Plus I thought it was really popular.

No.88 over BdP because it is more wearable.

Ambre Sultan over L'Anarchiste because AS is among the best amber scents out there and and L'A is a weird metallic overripe orange in a pool of blood.

And No.88 over AS because it is wearable in more climates and on more occasions.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I really can't believe that no.88 is beating BdP. I mean its...nice. But there are much MUCH better rose scents out there. BdP is amazing, elegant, and about as good as perfumery gets. Plus I thought it was really popular.
    It doesn't surprise me at all. The current version of No.88 is hands-down my favorite masculine rose fragrance. It is number three in my wardrobe behind Giorgio for Men and Vintage Tabarome. I have never tried vintage No. 88 so I don't have any preconceived ideas about how No. 88 should smell.

You are correct, Bois du Portugal is very popular but No. 88 is very popular as well. Hopefully, No. 88 is just a little more popular today!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Which ones are better than No. 88? I like to know too!
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

The sad thing is that we all know that many BN vote for one but (should I say because) they never tested the other one proposed.

BDP has for sure been tested more often than 88 by many , given the huge reputation on Creed.

Nevertheless within ppl that tested both i m pretty sure 88 would win it...

But that s the game I guess
    Last edited by Roc_Xel; 19th March 2009 at 05:18 PM.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    The sad thing is that we all know that many BN vote for one but (should I say because) they never tested the other one proposed.

BDP has for sure been tested more often than 88 by many , given the huge reputation on Creed.

Nevertheless within ppl that tested both i m pretty sure 88 would win it...

But that s the game I guess
    I've been doing my best to resist the temptation. I must admit I voted against Habit Rouge untested yesterday out of spite of it defeating Yatagan in round 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Which ones are better than No. 88? I like to know too!
    Ok. I will preface this with the fact that I don't care for rose frags. I find them all (or most) to go off on my skin and begin to smell like I have just rolled around in a rose bush drenched in red wine. Now, for my money I honestly believe that Domenico Carecini 1913 blows no. 88 away with a complexity and wearability far greater than no. 88. Then comes Black Aoud for its uniqueness and I actually like the auod, just find the juice far to strong and feminine. My favorite rose scent is Rose 31 because I find it the most wearable by far, and all those spices help to make the rose a little less shrill and feminine. One frag not often mentioned as a rose-centric fragrance, and rightfully so, that I LOVE the rose in is Castile.

PS I wasn't trying to upset the legions of 88 fans here, just sort of the "fan" in me coming out I guess.

Well, This has been fun.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Another vote for No88 - I think BdP is over-rated.

L'Anarchiste was a narrow vote for me over Ambre Sultan which I also love. L'Anarchiste kicks serious butt though.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

bump!

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

C'mon No. 88! You can do it!

GO No.88! Almost there!!!

Blog Entries

Man, I knew this game was gonna be like this. GO BDP!
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Come on No 88! You need to win! Only two votes more! Rose fans unite!

It is neck to neck now b/w C&S 88 and Creed BDP....48 votes each...

c'mon guys n gals...come forward...show your love for C&S 88...this is your chance to thank Czech & Speake for sending 1000's of samples, free to a lot of basenoters.

88! Time to set it straight!

Blog Entries

Its a tie! Thanks Lizzie!

40 minutes left....lets bump it guys!!!!

Yay! No. 88 won. Glad to see a favorite make it through.

Wow, a 1 point win! Gotta practice those free throws!

Blog Entries

Man, someone literally got to cast the tie-breaker on this one, talk about a game going either way! Sucks that BdP lost but I have yet to try No. 88.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    Man, someone literally got to cast the tie-breaker on this one, talk about a game going either way! Sucks that BdP lost but I have yet to try No. 88.
    In all due fairness, I haven't tried BdP!

I'm just rooting for one of my favorite frags to win.

no way BdP lost
    I came too late to vote
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Morning Star

No Joy in Mudville

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Are you freaking kidding me?!!! BdP had the lead throughout the evening. I go to bed with two or so hours to go thinking that I might still be in this game. Then a couple of sleazy, dirty, slimy, rotten, lowdown, no-class, lobotomized poopy-heads show up to vote for 88 and knock my overall winner out of the competition? God, I hate you people right now.

Just for spite, I'm going to buy a bottle of 88, pour it into a bowl and defile it by mixing it with Boss, Joop!, Quorum, and that Tim McGraw stuff. Then, I'm going to set it on fire. You wanna how I'm going to put the fire out? Let's just say I'll be using my own firehose. Oh, but I'm not finished. I'm going to rub the bowl with dog poop, empty the grossest ashtray at the sleaziest bar in town into it, and roll the bowl around in the nasty ooze that leaks from the dumpster behind the Burger King. Then, I'm going to pulzerive the bowl into a powder and put it into an alcohol solution to soak for one month. Finally, I'll strain the liquid, put it into the the 88 bottle and sell it back to one of you booger-clowns. Then, my revenge will be complete. Mwu-hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Sigh. At least I went 15 or 16 last night in the real march madness tournament.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I like 88 a lot. But I LOVE BdP. ..damn
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    Are you freaking kidding me?!!! BdP had the lead throughout the evening. I go to bed with two or so hours to go thinking that I might still be in this game. Then a couple of sleazy, dirty, slimy, rotten, lowdown, no-class, lobotomized poopy-heads show up to vote for 88 and knock my overall winner out of the competition? God, I hate you people right now.

Just for spite, I'm going to buy a bottle of 88, pour it into a bowl and defile it by mixing it with Boss, Joop!, Quorum, and that Tim McGraw stuff. Then, I'm going to set it on fire. You wanna how I'm going to put the fire out? Let's just say I'll be using my own firehose. Oh, but I'm not finished. I'm going to rub the bowl with dog poop, empty the grossest ashtray at the sleaziest bar in town into it, and roll the bowl around in the nasty ooze that leaks from the dumpster behind the Burger King. Then, I'm going to pulzerive the bowl into a powder and put it into an alcohol solution to soak for one month. Finally, I'll strain the liquid, put it into the the 88 bottle and sell it back to one of you booger-clowns. Then, my revenge will be complete. Mwu-hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Sigh. At least I went 15 or 16 last night in the real march madness tournament.
    A more animalic No.88? I can't wait!

If you leave out the Tim Mcgraw stuff, I think you'll have a winner there!

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    A more animalic No.88? I can't wait!

If you leave out the Tim Mcgraw stuff, I think you'll have a winner there!
    Don't you mock me! I'll find out where you live and send a Tim McGraw laced envelope to you!
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

This was hilarious!

It required an extreme "Get the vote out!" campaign for No.88 (even the normally laggard female discussion board got in on the action) mixed with good ol' covert hatred/dislike for Creed to pip Bdp to the post!
    -

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    Don't you mock me! I'll find out where you live and send a Tim McGraw laced envelope to you!
    That's it, if you're hauling out the heavy artillery, I'm switching to a P.O. box!