Code of Conduct

Question Mayday....broken stuck stopper

Today I received my very special bottle of Guerlain Rue de la Paix in a Lotion Vegetale bottle. The stopper was stuck and the seam looked pretty dusty with old dust so I fiddle and worried it and then the top of the stopper broke off leaving the dauber inside and my knuckle bleeding

One web site offered the advice to leave some oil round the seam (wish I'd looked at that before I went at it with no finesse at all) which I am now doing but I don't have a lot to hang on to to get it off. If I could get it out, I've a spare stopper to fit.

The bottle doesn't really have any value to me other than the original label and I'm quite prepared to knock it's block off to get at the juice. I've an empty guerlain bee bottle ready although I think that there might be too much juice for it.

Please please please....can anybody give me any advice at all.

I think I'm going to scream as I'm not the weepy type.

Default Re: Mayday....broken stuck stopper

First of all welcome Skib, sorry about your knuckle. One of the first tings I would do is apply a drop of Krazy Glue to the broken off part and stick it to the part still left in the bottle. Next use a little warm oil around the opening but also wrap a very hot wet cloth around the whole top of the bottle and cap. This should help to loosen it up.
    One thing to remember for future reference is, do all of theses things first (except Krazy Glue), and always wrap a cloth around the stopper and very gently work it, if it does not budge try a little alcohol, then do the oil.
    Good luck, and if you ever want to share/ trade a small sample of your treasure (once it is opened) please know I would be thrilled.
    Take care
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Brielle87 has summed it up perfectly - excellent advice.

I'd also like to add something I read online with regard to antique or vintage perfume stoppers: that, with older bottles in particular, one should always be mindful whilst wiggling or twisting a glass stopper, to attempt to turn the stopper ANTICLOCKWISE, as turning it in to the right will often tighten it, and thus increase the risk of breakage.

Thank you both, first stage of the operation is in progress. The glue is on.....once I have access to the fragrance itself, I shall certainly send you a sample Brielle. Be nice to compare notes (although I'm just a novice sniffer).

Quote Originally Posted by Skib View Post
    Thank you both, first stage of the operation is in progress. The glue is on.....once I have access to the fragrance itself, I shall certainly send you a sample Brielle. Be nice to compare notes (although I'm just a novice sniffer).
    Good luck, no more injuries.
    Thanks
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Default Re: Mayday....broken stuck stopper - update

The stopper will just not move. I've investigated further and it's actually at just enough of an angle to be wedged in plus the dauber looks to have a horizontal flaw half way down.

Now, I've looked at other Lotion Vegetale bottles on the web and they have screw tops so I think this is not it's original stopper and maybe it being wedged in has kept it from being used at all.

My next plan of action is to take it to a glazer and see if they can cut the top off without harming the perfume. Unfortunately this will be next week as I don't have the time this week.

It's a bit of a bummer, so much so that I stopped bidding on another oldie which had a stuck stopper.

I just received a bottle of Angel perfume today and I also cannot open the stopper. Skib, did you ever get yours open? I'm not sure if mine is supposed to twist off, or just pull out. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. I am going to try what Brielle and Dimitri posted. Here's a pic of the bottle:

https://cid-37bb3fd7c3261efa.skydriv...fumeBottle.jpg

Unfortunately my bottle is still an unopened mystery. My fingers are raw pulling and hawling at the stopper. This week I should be able to get to a glass merchant or something to slice the top off.

Good luck with yours.

Thanks, Skib, and good luck with yours. I got mine open by wrapping one of those rubber things you use for twisting open jars, and then very very gently put a pliers around the rubber and rocking it back and forth and twisting it open. All was fine - - until I closed the bottle again. This time while opening it, the glass stopper came out, but left the plastic part of the stopper in the bottle still. I don't know what to do with it now. I have some glue and I thought maybe I'd try gluing the glass stopper to the plastic part and then trying to open it again.