Code of Conduct

Default Thrift Shop Gems... may the lucky ones stand up

Today I read from someone's post that they picked up a bottle of bond 9 for 8 bucks... i can't remember which one it was but i spent a good chunk of gas and time (on my day off of course) running through the outskirts and innards of town hoping that i would also be so lucky... i was not, but i've still got hope... what i'm really wanting to know is, has anyone had similar success in finding something fabulous hiding on a shelf in some rundown thrift store??? i am extremely interested!!!
    At your service

Default Re: Thrift Shop Gems... may the lucky ones stand up

I was in once once that had about 50ml of Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps behind the counter, but since it was "perfume" to them, I thought the price was too high. At another thrift store I found a bottle of Floris Number 127 (I think that was the number), in about 50ml again, but again, they wanted $40, which is too close to retail. US$40 buys a lot of sweaters, jackets, shirts, and a coffee pot or desk lamp at an American thrift store, so I passed. It smelled good though
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I found a 50ml bottle of Boucheron Ja´pur edt for $2.00 at a store in town. It was standing next to Paris Hilton's CanCan which was priced at $15.00.

There's my old story about getting a vintage bottle of Derby for $60, but that's been told...

I recently picked up a Brommley's Gentleman EdT and some vintage Tabu for a couple bucks. Someday I hope to find some old Guerlain extrait, still in its box with in the $3 bin at a local yard sale, but I'm not holding my breath.

A vintage bottle of Coty Paris from the 30's in perfect condition in its box 15ml, only $5 in a consignment shop.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser Ó sa source

What kind of thrift shops do you guys look for?

I live in the suburbs, but go to college in the city - but I wouldn't know where to even begin!
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Some of my more memorable junkshop/fleamarket finds have been:
    A 1930's sealed vintage bottle of 4711 (in a special presentation bottle) for $2.40, a Lanvin Arpege 8ml extrait (full, boxed) for $8, a Madame Rochas 18ml full boxed bottle from the 1940s for $11.
    I love these finds, and actively seek them out

I forgot about one, only it's a score-from-someone-else-who-scored: I recently picked up a bottle of vintage Givenchy III EDP for $10 from an eBay seller who admitted to finding it at a yard sale and knowing nothing about fragrance. I'm surprised it went so cheap, but it did and it's great stuff.

Blog Entries

So I was at this little dinky thrift store, the only one in this county, which isn't terribly surprising when you realize the largest town in said county only has 800 people in it. I was there looking for some dress shirts, when I noticed they had some cosmetics and fragrance. There were a few neat-looking old bottles I couldn't readily identify, and there was a large-ish box towards the bottom of the shelves, I open it up and it's a box inside another box. I open that one up and lo and behold...

My hands are literally shaking as I pick up the bottle of EDT, then the body wash, then the aftershave. Full, full, and full. The pricetag on the back? 5 dollars. My God, I can die happy now.

----

The above writing was, sadly, a work of fiction and the product of an overactive brain. Would sure be nice, though.

Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

HAHA Bluesoul! You crack me up! you had me going there!

LOL, Bluesoul, you should have saved that for April Fool's!

Sometimes regular stores have inexplicably blowout markdowns on a certain item. For example, TJ Maxx regularly sells Zirh 2.5 oz (or 1.7) for $12.99, but I once saw a 4.2 oz on sale for $5 - why so cheap on that one? I don't know. But it happens once in a while.

The Armani Prive's going on at Marshalls is technically a steal, since it's only $30 compared to the $100+ retail.

Picked off a large bottle of Kiton with a jauntily dented cap in a damaged freight store for all of fifteen dollars. It was marked as $20 but apparently the shocked face I made was interpreted as, "too much" so the clerk hastily said, "but since it's dented and all you can have it for fifteen". No argument from me!