Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default What do you guys think about Vetiver Frozen (Eau Glacee) by Guerlain?

I've never smelled it. For those of you that have (or own it) please give me your thoughts. The threads I found about it, when I searched, are very old.

Here's my current experience with the Guerlain Vetiver line:

I love the EdC (vintage)
    I love the Refreshing Body Splash (also vintage).
    The EdT (new) is nice, but I really have to under apply it to avoid headaches. I am considering buying vintage EdT.
    I need to smell Vetiver Pour Elle again, I've only smelled it once at the Guerlain boutique and I think my nose was overwhelmed at the time because it left me cold.
    I didn't like Vetiver Extreme
    I've never smelled Vetiver Sport

Thoughts / comments?

Default Re: What do you guys think about Vetiver Frozen (Eau Glacee) by Guerlain?

What a coincidence Mike.....

I have been looking to start a thread on 'Guerlain Vetiver' flankers....to be honest, I don't know why I didnt do it....It's just been on my mind...After having fallen in some serious love with Guerlain Vetiver recently (particulary the vintage edt), I have been thinking about the other GV variants....

Extreme, Glacee & Sport...

It'd be great to hear what the others have to say about them....since I haven't tried any of them but I'd surely like to try them before buying them.

Default Re: What do you guys think about Vetiver Frozen (Eau Glacee) by Guerlain?

Vetiver Eau Glacee has been available here in Iran for a long time. The first thing which came to my mind when I first tried it was a resemblance of its scent to green forests of north of Iran after a sprig rain. I remember that, there was a sharp and green scent (composed around vetiver and contains citrus and pepper) with a bright and energized feeling to it. There wasn't that much development and longevity was acceptable on my skin. I consider it an inoffensive and safe choice for casual/semi formal wearing in warm weather.
    Although it is a better than average main stream scent, I have doubts about its ability to add anything to wardrobe of a 6-STAR basenoter!
    Last edited by msi_21; 20th March 2009 at 04:57 PM.
    " Human beings are members of a whole,
    In creation of one essence and soul.

If one member is afflicted with pain,
    Other members uneasy will remain.

If you have no sympathy for human pain,
    The name of human you cannot retain."

Saadi (13th Century Persian Poet)

It starts out very mentholated and then has a certain "nutty" smell in the opening that I don't find too great. It's much more clean than the original Vetiver and feels like a somehow "thin" fragrance - not fulfilling like the original.

Vetiver Extreme is totally dominated by a strange woody-tarragon scent that is really not appropriate if you ask me.

So all in all: None of the Vetiver flankers satisfies me, and the original is still for me the perfect choice.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks guys.

I thought it was 'minty' or...as you've said Ulrik 'mentholated'. I happen to love mint and menthol (today I'm wearing the camphor heavy Scent One: Hinoki). In addition, the Refreshing Body Splash version of Vetiver is rather minty also, in the top notes. But the RBS also has the tobacco/vetiver drydown, in all of it's pre-reformulation glory.

Maybe owning the Eau Glace and the RBS is slightly redundant?

Thanks gentlemen.

Now I must get my hands on some more Vetiver Pour Elle to sample.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th March 2009 at 05:55 PM.

Blog Entries

[pun]I haven't tried it but it sounds cool.[/pun]

In all seriousness though, I like the concept of it but it doesn't sound like the reality meets the expectations.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 20th March 2009 at 06:11 PM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I can't speak for Vetiver Frozen, but I can agree wholeheartedly with you Mike that Pour Elle is freaking AMAZING. One of the best smelling anything that I have ever smelled. I wish it weren't so hard to get and expensive.

Mike, I'll send you a sample of Vetiver Frozen.

I like it, but I could see where some people wouldn't. I'm sampling that Vetiver Refreshing Body Splash, and I think there might be some redundancy, though the Vetiver Frozen is a lot stronger. I agree with what Mr. Guerlain says about the "nutty" quality, and also the menthol and the thin-ness. It's thin, but also "hard". Makes me think of a really hard tabletop for some reason--abstract, I know. Also, it makes me think of steamed white rice.

I was at Sephora yesterday buying Guerlain Homme (more on that in a minute), and I wanted to snag a Vetiver Sport, but they were out of it. If I recall Vetiver Sport, it smells a lot like the shower gel for Vetiver (which is exactly what I'm looking for). Being a completist, I'll have to get Vetiver Sport one of these days. Again, I'm really perplexed at the general disdain for Vetiver Extreme. I love it. But then again, I like flankers in general-- I like the concept of having the freedom to reinterpret an original without screwing with the original (because at the end of the day, you can still just buy the original if you want to).

Guerlain Homme... where to start... I almost came on here yesterday and piled on my dismay at the careless direction of Guerlain. I found that this fragrance seemed to have almost no development, originality or structure. I wore it around yesterday and then again today. My stance is softening. On the surface, it feels alot like Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte Concentré. I get that more than I do "mojitos"-- and I'm a bartender, so I know my mojitos (I hate making them when I'm slammed! ) Anyway, I get hints of L'Instant de Guerlain PH every now and again. There's something ever so faint that's a bit grimy and greasy lurking in the back--like SMN Nostalgia-- and it's really, really faint, but I like it. I think I'l be fair to this scent and say that I can't quite review it yet. Some scents which seem to lack character just take more time and multiple wearings to reveal themselves. I felt this way with Tom Ford for Men, and Guerlain Homme is hitting me the same way. It's definitely pleasant, I like the smell of it. Is it worthy of being a Guerlain? Well, I'll have to wait and see.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Mike, I'll send you a sample of Vetiver Frozen.

I like it, but I could see where some people wouldn't. I'm sampling that Vetiver Refreshing Body Splash, and I think there might be some redundancy, though the Vetiver Frozen is a lot stronger. I agree with what Mr. Guerlain says about the "nutty" quality, and also the menthol and the thin-ness. It's thin, but also "hard". Makes me think of a really hard tabletop for some reason--abstract, I know. Also, it makes me think of steamed white rice.

I was at Sephora yesterday buying Guerlain Homme (more on that in a minute), and I wanted to snag a Vetiver Sport, but they were out of it. If I recall Vetiver Sport, it smells a lot like the shower gel for Vetiver (which is exactly what I'm looking for). Being a completist, I'll have to get Vetiver Sport one of these days. Again, I'm really perplexed at the general disdain for Vetiver Extreme. I love it. But then again, I like flankers in general-- I like the concept of having the freedom to reinterpret an original without screwing with the original (because at the end of the day, you can still just buy the original if you want to).

Guerlain Homme... where to start... I almost came on here yesterday and piled on my dismay at the careless direction of Guerlain. I found that this fragrance seemed to have almost no development, originality or structure. I wore it around yesterday and then again today. My stance is softening. On the surface, it feels alot like Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte Concentré. I get that more than I do "mojitos"-- and I'm a bartender, so I know my mojitos (I hate making them when I'm slammed! ) Anyway, I get hints of L'Instant de Guerlain PH every now and again. There's something ever so faint that's a bit grimy and greasy lurking in the back--like SMN Nostalgia-- and it's really, really faint, but I like it. I think I'l be fair to this scent and say that I can't quite review it yet. Some scents which seem to lack character just take more time and multiple wearings to reveal themselves. I felt this way with Tom Ford for Men, and Guerlain Homme is hitting me the same way. It's definitely pleasant, I like the smell of it. Is it worthy of being a Guerlain? Well, I'll have to wait and see.
    Ooh I was hoping you'd see this thread T. Thanks!

I love the smell of steamed white rice.

I still haven't given Guerlain Homme a proper full wearing. I keep wanting to buy a mini (or a bunch of samples) from Ebay, but I keep putting it off. I guess mostly because my wardrobe is chock full of mint prominent scents (Booster, Mint and Peppermint [both CdG], Roadster, the last of my Feuille Verte...) I mean how much mint does one man need?

Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

as guerlain vetiver and steamed basmati rice are, in my opinion, two of the greatest smells in creation this comparison has really piqued my interest in vetiver frozen!

indie_guy, you've also encouraged me to retry Homme - i was distinctly underwhelmed the first time, but now i think i might give it another go.

tomorrow shall be... guerlain-sniffing day!

I'm one of the few that feel all the variants of Guerlain Vetivers have something interesting and worthwhile to offer.

Ea Glacee is no exception. Bright an refereshing. It's a great Summer fragrance

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ooh I was hoping you'd see this thread T. Thanks!

I love the smell of steamed white rice.

I still haven't given Guerlain Homme a proper full wearing. I keep wanting to buy a mini (or a bunch of samples) from Ebay, but I keep putting it off. I guess mostly because my wardrobe is chock full of mint prominent scents (Booster, Mint and Peppermint [both CdG], Roadster, the last of my Feuille Verte...) I mean how much mint does one man need?
    Mint scents? Have you ever tried L'Eau Bleue D'Issey Eau Fraiche? One of my fave mint scents (along with Green Valley.)

I wore Guerlain Homme to work tonight and it was quite enjoyable. However as I was driving home, I decided to dab a little on my wrist and BAM, my nose got stuffed up right away. My allergies are ridiculous sometimes.

But back to the subject of Vetiver Frozen... can anybody who has both Vetiver Frozen and Vetiver Sport tell us how different they are? I do remember some difference, but it's been a while since I tried Sport.

Vetiver frozen is to my nose the same as Vetiver sport
    and it's all about nutmeg (or nearly)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Mint scents? Have you ever tried L'Eau Bleue D'Issey Eau Fraiche? One of my fave mint scents (along with Green Valley.)
    No I haven''t smelled that one Indie. I didn't know it had mint. Is it like the regular Bleue D' Issey (extremely aromatic?)?

I liked Homme when I sampled it. The mint is not terribly prominent, and is nicely done. I still have a sample and will try it again in warmer weather.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    No I haven''t smelled that one Indie. I didn't know it had mint. Is it like the regular Bleue D' Issey (extremely aromatic?)?
    I like the Eau Fraiche a lot more than the original L'Eau Bleue (which I also like very much, but rarely wear-- it's one of the number one fragrances for giving me a stuffy nose). I'll throw in a sample of this as well. It's one of my staples for warm weather. I find it really energizing. Smells like fresh laundry and peppermint gum. Sure, the signature of the original L'Eau Bleue is still there, but I like the balance of this one better.

For a strange reason, the L'Eau Bleue D'Issey Eau Fraiche gives me a happy deja vu. It takes me back to the way my childhood home would smell after my family would return from vacation. I don't know why, but I loved the way our house smelled upon returning after we'd been away for a while.

Last edited by Indie_Guy; 23rd March 2009 at 04:36 AM. Reason: typo

I have Eau Glacee and I like it, though it is one of my least worn.

It is definitely 'thinner' than the original Vetiver, as it has dispensed with the much-discussed tobacco topnote and soapy heart...leaving mostly the vetiver itself, and a tastefully underplayed and short-lived menthol topnote.

When compared side-by-side with vintage Vetiver EdC, they are clearly related, but the EdC has a more 'perfumey' character, and Glacee is more transparent (VERY transparent) and mercifully not medicinal, in spite of the menthol up front.

Strength seems like an EdC, longevity is mediocre, but acceptable (unlike Givenchy's Vetyver, which is wonderful but disappears without a trace after 15 minutes).

It reminds me a bit of Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire, minus the pencil shavings note.

Overall: not a classic, but worth owning, if you're a completist vetiver freak. The price is right, so why not? (if you can find it)
    Last edited by andylama; 23rd March 2009 at 05:26 AM.

I like Guerlains Vetiver Eau Glacée much better than the original.
    I don't want to even sniff for different nuances in the other flankers.
    Better to reach for Adolfo D's, Hannes B.'s and Malle F's Vetivers instead,
    or simply for Muglers Cologne, to succumb to their non-floral summer magic !
    Last edited by narcus; 24th March 2009 at 06:04 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Plus

I have been going through the Guerlain Vetiver flankers with keen interest as of late. I used to own vintage Guerlain EDT and liked it (a lot), but I was younger at the time and it felt more mature to me. I don't think I truly appreciated it or understood it in my early 20's. I came back to Guerlain Vetiver recently after smelling the reformulation and was surprised at how it had changed - "modernization" of a classic. I then approached, besides numerous other vetivers (which I will leave out of this conversation and keep it strictly Guerlain-focused), the line of flankers.

I bought and immediately admired Vetiver Extreme. To me, this is truly very good stuff and doesn't get the respect or credit it deserves. Very deep, rich and fantastic fragrance - the composition is fascinating to me. Top of the list! I recommend it for both vetiver lovers and people who want to smell masculine, sophisticated and confident. Personally, I think the tarragon, incense and cedar replacing the original's tobacco accord is brilliant. A lot going on, but vetiver is the constant focal point of this fragrance (as is anything Guerlain's vetivers deliver)...from top to base notes. Superb!

Vetiver Eau Glacee/Frozen is being characterized as a warm weather vetiver. My feeling is that it is truly year-round and is far more easy to wear in the warm weather. I really enjoy the top note of cool mint along with the bergamot and lime - so refreshing and not synthetic smelling to my nose. Some nutmeg in the middle with peppercorns which transitions so nicely to the almost pure vetiver on the drydown (still a dash of mint and a lifted feel that is invigorating). It is another top-notch fragrance in and of itself. While different from Guerlain's original, again - you have vetiver on the backbone the whole time. It is just a very fresh smell that blends very well with my skin chemistry.

I have yet to try Vetiver Sport - and I am working on getting a bottle.

So, Indie_Guy, I have to agree...why are people against a rich vetiver composition from Guerlain? Is it that they don't want more than 3-4 notes from a fragrance? I love it. Ironically, I am purchasing a bottle of the Vintage Vetiver Refreshing Body Splash - for more casual wear. I figure that I can then (as that as a base), apply whatever Guerlain Vetiver I want ;-)! Bring it on and keep 'em guessin'!

In a day where the new generation is shovelling money into smelling the same - I get compliments from smelling both damn good and very unique. I have always respected classics - but, it is important to recognize that Guerlain's flankers are as good or better than a lot of other "niche" vetivers out there at twice to 3x the price. Cheers!

PS - thank you for the thread...this is one I will revisit and add more to.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Vetiver Eau Glacee/Frozen is being characterized as a warm weather vetiver. My feeling is that it is truly year-round and is far more easy to wear in the warm weather. I really enjoy the top note of cool mint along with the bergamot and lime - so refreshing and not synthetic smelling to my nose. Some nutmeg in the middle with peppercorns which transitions so nicely to the almost pure vetiver on the drydown (still a dash of mint and a lifted feel that is invigorating). It is another top-notch fragrance in and of itself. While different from Guerlain's original, again - you have vetiver on the backbone the whole time. It is just a very fresh smell that blends very well with my skin chemistry.
    I have worn this on the hottest of days in the summer and the coldest of days of the winter. To me the time of year makes no difference.

Basenotes Plus

+1 - it actually smells great in cold weather. I have to say that it is one of the most truly fresh vetiver scents out there. Awesome stuff!

I own it but seldom wear it and when I do I always wish I had stuck to plain Guerlain Vetiver (or Vetiver Extreme, which I think is excellent). The mint is too loud and unbalances the composition IMO.

I saw this thread and had to pull out my Frozen and spray some on... Very good-- I was looking for something to wear to work tonight and I wanted something I hadn't worn in a while, so this will be it!

Strangely, the other day I was measuring out some Haitian vetiver oil for a perfume I was working on and I got that "nutty" "steamed rice" note from the vetiver oil itself-- so I'm fairly certain that this accord is coming from the vetiver itself in Vetiver Frozen. This fragrance does have a cold feel about it, whereas the original feels a bit warm.

Basenotes Institution

I forogt about this old thread.

I ended up getting a sample of this, but I found it a bit uninspiring and 'simple' so I stuck with the original (vintage) EdC and EdT. I'm crossing my fingers that one day, Guerlain will make an extrait of Vetiver.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle