Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford For Men

So, I'm an aquatics lover. I love fresh things, citrusy things, green and herby things, and WATERY things. I was practically born in the ocean and have swam much of my life. Water is a second plane to me, so aquatic fragrances always get a smile from me and hold a large percentage of my wardrobe (bulgari's aqua is still probably the holy grail of aquatics, IMO). I've really been trying to expand my tastes though, and it has been working, to an extent. I consider my YSL l'homme to be a departure from that vein of watery/fresh, as is Polo Modern Reserve (which I am contemplating getting). I recently scored a brand new 3.4 oz of tom ford for men for 40 bucks off ebay, and I must say, I'm starting to be impressed. It is powdery, yes, and dusty, yes. Spicy and woody. Its much more formal than what I'm used to, and though I consider powder to be a weak, feminine aspect in a mens cologne, it somehow works for TFFM. I am still getting to know it, because I have very strong "old man" associations with typically heavy mens fragrances (and most women my age of 20 do as well), but from what I've seen out there, it is smooth, wearable, and doesnt smell terribly dated. I havent grown to be obsessed with it yet, and im debating whether to resell it or not, but at the very least, it is helping me develop an appreciation for genres outside of what I am used to

Default Re: Tom Ford For Men

Tom Ford for Men is great stuff. Yeah it has that traditional 'cologne' vibe that seems to reminds girls of their fathers, however I think it is very wearable for both younger and older guys.
    I'm kind of confused why you posted this here, as its a fragrance review. Maybe submit it as a review?
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I just got this a week or so ago and really like it. Some may not like it because it's not as in your face as his other creations, but I still like it. It kind of fills spot in my frag lineup where there was a void. I also think it is pretty versatile. Good for you DG for expanding your horizons.

I'd say it's an aquatic oriental. It has this airy ozonic vibe to it, while the other ingredients constitute a light, fresh oriental scent.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Tom Ford for Men seemed kind of middle-of-the-road when I bought it, but it quickly became a favorite of mine. I like it because it has flashes of oriental/powdery scents like Escada PH, Obsession for Men, and L'Instant de Guerlain PH-- but it's fresher and more transparent than these. Also along the same lines as Baldessarini. I really don't like wearing powdery sweet scents (exception: Habit Rouge EDC)--they get cloying to me after a short time, but Tom Ford for Men has a nice balance to it. I like the way it behaves on my skin and I get lots of compliments. Also, it's extremely versatile-- it dresses up and down easily, and it's good for first dates. It's a natural choice for those days when you can't decide between an oriental or an aquatic.

" It's a natural choice for those days when you can't decide between an oriental or an aquatic. "

That kind of sums it up for me in a nut shell.

update:

just put this on out of the shower. this stuff is REALLY classy. I may have to give the extreme a try (i remember not liking it last time, so maybe i should go one step at a time)

my tastes are slowly expanding. this is good.