Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    the_good_life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Friedberg (Hessen)
    Posts
    5,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    Has anyone tried it yet?

    Here's the blurb from ALzD:

    All the qualities and attributes of the busy, never-sleeping Oxford Street can be found in Hugh Parsons perfume of the same name. An extremely lively fragrance ideal for any man who exudes energy and the joy of life.

    Composition:
    Head: Grapefruit, Tangerine, Basil, Star Anis, Truffle
    Heart: Pink Pepper, Cumin, Cardamom, Cinnamon
    Base: Patchouly, Vetiver, Agar-Wood, Labdanum

    I guess pink pepper and oud are currently de rigeur
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  2. #2
    SmellChaser
    scentsitivity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,355
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    No, I have not. The note that hits me here is Truffle. I don't recollect seeing that before.

    Do they mean the expensive fungus that pigs dig up or something else?

  3. #3
    Prince Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Nr Leeds
    Posts
    1,709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    Truffle was actually used in the Tom Ford Extreme as well.

    I don't find that calling a scent Oxford Street is very inspiring. It's got to be one of the tackiest streets in the world..LOL.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

    Roja Dove

  4. #4
    SmellChaser
    scentsitivity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,355
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post

    I don't find that calling a scent Oxford Street is very inspiring. It's got to be one of the tackiest streets in the world..LOL.
    It sounds like a classy street for those of us who have not been there! That's probably what they are hoping for!

  5. #5
    mtgprox05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    I haven't tried it yet, but I recall there being at least one other Hugh Parson frag on ALZD, that I had never heard of and wasn't in the BN Directory.

  6. #6
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,748
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    There are 5 of them now! I need to try Oxford Street and Old England.

    ...and apparently Hugh Parsons "yellow" is called "Piccadilly"

    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/advanc...8ff2dd119f2c98
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Leisure Land
    Posts
    1,145
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    Truffle was actually used in the Tom Ford Extreme as well.

    I don't find that calling a scent Oxford Street is very inspiring. It's got to be one of the tackiest streets in the world..LOL.

    As you know there is a niche fragrance named "New Harlem." And another called Gramercy Park, And nothing is more trashy than the one called Paris Hilton. Sooo in comparison Oxford st, a busy merchant area, isnt that bad.

    - Al

  8. #8
    mtgprox05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    There are 5 of them now! I need to try Oxford Street and Old England.

    ...and apparently Hugh Parsons "yellow" is called "Piccadilly"

    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/advanc...8ff2dd119f2c98
    Scentronic, Old England sounds really good. Every one of the Hugh Parsons seems really interesting to me. I already have tried and liked Blue, and can't wait to sample the rest of the line. Have you tried either 99 Regent Street or Yellow yet?

  9. #9
    the_good_life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Friedberg (Hessen)
    Posts
    5,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    I don't find that calling a scent Oxford Street is very inspiring. It's got to be one of the tackiest streets in the world..LOL.
    I don't think any genuinely English fragrance house would ever think of calling a fragrance Oxford St. While I do not know this for sure, I have always assumed Parsons to be an entirely Italian operation doing the seemingly very popular English gentleman routine there (as do Morris with London Water, Atkinsons and a score of other "Ingleses"). Does anyone know wo owns this license?

    I've found most HP fragrances to be rather synthetic smelling concoctions, more like modern Creeds or Truefitt than Trumper's. Only one I really liked was Old England, a great zesty lemon note and spices - unspectacular but very nice, though too expensive while M. Balmain is still around. This one could be better than its name. I will try to find it for a test spritz.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 20th March 2009 at 07:10 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  10. #10
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,748
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Scentronic, Old England sounds really good. Every one of the Hugh Parsons seems really interesting to me. I already have tried and liked Blue, and can't wait to sample the rest of the line. Have you tried either 99 Regent Street or Yellow yet?
    Yeah, I own "yellow" (or "Picadilly" ???) and have a sample of 99 Regent Street.

    Yellow is a very simple concoction of lemon, light woods, and a bit of floral. Sort of like Bois de Cedrat, but more lemony. It is refreshing and simple, but elegant.

    99 Regent Street didn't really impress me like I had hoped. Smelled like plain aquatic musk... and seemed like the most pure ambergris scent I'd tried (that is, if I have an accurate concept of what ambergris actually smells like!)

    I read about Old England coming out, but then forgot about it. Now that Oxford Street is out, I'm going to have to track down some samples of those two.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  11. #11
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I've found most HP fragrances to be rather synthetic smelling concoctions, more like modern Creeds or Truefitt than Trumper's. Only one I really liked was Old England, a great zesty lemon note and spices - unspectacular but very nice, though too expensive while M. Balmain is still around. This one could be better than its name. I will try to find it for a test spritz.
    Truefitt I can understand: stuff like Freshman et al just reek of an enforced low budget crime but to compare the quality of ingredients of the pedestrian and mildly offensive HP fragrances to modern Creeds like Love in Black, Feuille Verte, VIW etc which clearly contain top shelf rose, cedar, jasmine, lime, mandarin, etc. components is a little too harsh !
    -

  12. #12
    the_good_life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Friedberg (Hessen)
    Posts
    5,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Truefitt I can understand: stuff like Freshman et al just reek of an enforced low budget crime but to compare the quality of ingredients of the pedestrian and mildly offensive HP fragrances to modern Creeds like Love in Black, Feuille Verte, VIW etc which clearly contain top shelf rose, cedar, jasmine, lime, mandarin, etc. components is a little too harsh !
    I should have been more specific and said Millésime Impérial
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  13. #13
    DULLAH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    Hopefully, the grapefruit and labdanum dominate.
    I've wondered why all the great grapefruit scents never used a Frankincense/Labdanum base, without woods.
    Will test. Thanks for the heads up.

  14. #14
    jss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,725
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    I would like to hear from someone who has tried Oxford Street. It has been out since 2009 but seems to be a phantom fragrance. Truffle, cumin and oud intrigue me! Only one(negative) review is found here.I would like to know more about this one. Please share your experience.

  15. #15
    Ken_Russell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sibiu
    Posts
    17,612
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    Thanks for sharing, never tried it so far, but as soon as I do, I will return with some of my impressions

  16. #16

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    99 Regent Street didn't really impress me
    Same here.

    Don't recall seeing this other one.

  17. #17
    Basenotes Plus

    JaimeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    5,402
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    140

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    No, I have not. The note that hits me here is Truffle. I don't recollect seeing that before.

    Do they mean the expensive fungus that pigs dig up or something else?
    Yes, the truffle used in cooking. Another scent that has a truffle note is Frédéric Malle Une Rose, from nose Édouard Fléchier.
    Yr good bud,

    JaimeB

    "Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

    My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

    Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

    Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

    Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

    Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

    —Seneca

  18. #18

    Default Re: New: Hugh Parsons Oxford Street

    "Oxford Street" is by no means a new fragrance! I got mine as a gift 2 years ago. It's a scent very similar to YSL "M7" and I really like it. Btw. it's an EdP.

Similar Threads

  1. Hugh Parsons Blue review
    By Leifer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10th April 2012, 02:30 PM
  2. Hugh Parsons : Oxford Street
    By PigeonMurderer in forum No longer missing fragrances
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17th March 2009, 12:26 AM
  3. Hugh Parsons 99 Regent Street
    By Joe_Frances in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12th February 2008, 08:47 PM
  4. Kiton or Hugh Parsons 99 Regent Street?
    By Jock_With_Scents in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 5th March 2007, 02:37 AM
  5. Hugh Parsons 99 Regent Street
    By pesurf in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28th December 2005, 09:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •