Code of Conduct

Default What's the big deal with Polo Modern Reserve?

When I noticed the number of positive reviews, I went to try it out. I thought that it was awful. I don't think that anyone under fifty could pull it off. Can someone explain this fragrance to me.

Default Re: What's the big deal with Polo Modern Reserve?

A lighter Polo that can be worn in warmer temps
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I wore this the other day and a day after, my aunt and female teenage cousin asked, "Hey what were you wearing yesterday!!??...You smelled sooo good!." I wear it proudly, and I'm in my late 20's.

I'm in my early 20s and liked it from when I smelled it. I hope this stuff makes it into the discount shops one of these days. My friend who is also in his early 20s likes this stuff very much.

As I understand it, Polo Modern Reserve was reformulated to knock down the top notes of the classic green Polo and at the same time provide it with a more provocative and sophisticated dry down. I have yet to sample, and if it is what people claim, I might very well acquire this fragrance.

The value proposition as I perceive it is that there are those of us old enough to remember the original Polo as being a bit loud. If the reformulated Modern Reserve plays out better, the gentleman wearing this fragrance will acquire perhaps a higher quality composition and at the same time acquire a fragrance that may very well bring back very pleasant memories of old times. That might be the value proposition.

But of course, I must acquire some decants at Nordstrom in order to give this fragrance a full wearing prior to reaching any conclusions.

I am 39 and I was an avid user of Polo Classic, in my book a master piece.
    The new one is brilliant they managed to achieve a great reformulation.
    The turned down the volume and made it more approachable. The original one was loud and omnipresent and modern version is softer, the strong pine, smoke notes seem to be gone in favor of some iris??? I am not sure.
    The fact is that it is a big deal that Polo took their biggest hit, reformulated it without ruining it. That is the deal.
    Modern smells great, I get compliments and make me feel good. I can wear Polo Modern without feeling nostalgic about the classic one.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Nothing needs to "be explained" - apparently you either just don't like or don't get it. Anyone who likes any fragrance can wear that fragrance, irrespective of their age. "Pulling off" a fragrance is a myth - all one needs to do to "pull off" a fragrance is have confidence. I've worn Polo since I was 18, and I like Modern Reserve as a contemporary interpretation that also incorporates hints of Crest.

MR works great in all situations. I've worn it casually and recently wore it with a suit to a formal occasion and it was perfect.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Nothing needs to "be explained"
    End of.

Experience with Polo Crest would have helped balance the debate. PC was itself a drier iteration of the Polo classic. PMR attempts to iterate the same key notes in yet another way, and it worked. It can actually be owned along with Polo classic, as they are distinct scents in their individual rights.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Good point, perfaddict. I own the original Polo, Crest, and Modern Reserve (and a mini of Monogram) - all of which are variations on the same theme and all of which can be simultaneously owned.

bbBD, you're very confrontational. It seems like you always have something negative to add. Just remember, not everyone knows as much about fragrances as you. Everyone has to start somewhere though. I was simply wondering what people like about the fragrance, that's all. Questions keep the forum going.

Basenotes Institution

Polo is a classic, wonderful scent. Polo Modern Reserve could have been a nightmare flanker - instead it's full of fresh ideas, has a wonderful diffusiveness to it and it lasts a long time like the original. Ralph Lauren did a good job with this and they are deserving of the praise many (including me) have heaped on PMR.

I used to own Polo (I suppose its what they call "classic" now). I gave a bottle of it to my norwegian brother-in-law. Every time I visited them, the bottle was as full as ever. Nothing wrong with the Polo, I'm sure. It just goes to show that fragrance gifts aren't always appreciated. I must try PMR someday. The name keeps popping up.

I didn't read it as confrontational or negative.. Your experience was awful but you didn't really give any reasons for thinking so. Moreover, to classify a fragrance as something that can't be pulled off by more than a select audience can be taken the wrong way.

I, for one, have appreciated bbBD's posts - they're insightful and have opened my eyes to a lot of aspects of this hobby/passion of mine that I was unaware of.

My Polo Modern Reserve is on its way from a fellow BN'er, so I'm a bit biased. That said, I'm excited having appreciated and enjoyed the original and never having tried Crest. Different strokes for different folks.

Quote Originally Posted by bosati05 View Post
    bbBD, you're very confrontational. It seems like you always have something negative to add. Just remember, not everyone knows as much about fragrances as you. Everyone has to start somewhere though. I was simply wondering what people like about the fragrance, that's all. Questions keep the forum going.

So, anthonydg...If you didn't read it as confrontational or negative, that means that I should see it the same way? My experiences with bbBD have been just what I described. Besides, that's between the two of us. That's good that you find his posts insightful, but I don't.

The grammar suggested, to me, that the tone wasn't negative nor was it confrontational.

I'd still like to see some further detail in your observations on the fragrance and why you disliked it.. and why you feel this fragrance only appeals to a certain demographic.

Not saying you don't have the right to dislike a fragrance or picking sides - but whether it's posted on the forums or the reviews, I like to see more to than what you offered. That's all I'm saying.

So, anthonydg...If you didn't read it as confrontational or negative, that means that I should see it the same way? My experiences with bbBD have been just what I described. Besides, that's between the two of us. That's good that you find his posts insightful, but I don't.

Well, I'm relatively new to fragrances, so It'd be hard to describe in detail what exactly turned me off. My impression was that it would be better suited for older men. I didn't get a "modern" feel from it whatsoever. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea, and that's why I can't appreciate it. Both of the women at the fragrance counter advised that I come back in twenty years and buy it. I think I'll take their advice on this one.

Well, I'm relatively new to fragrances, so It'd be hard to describe in detail what exactly turned me off. My impression was that it would be better suited for older men. I didn't get a "modern" feel from it whatsoever. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea, and that's why I can't appreciate it. Both of the women at the fragrance counter advised that I come back in twenty years and buy it. I think I'll take their advice on this one.
    What I get from that, is that in your area people (including you) are more accustomed to fragrances in that style being worn by older men (for example, the store's older customers.) I would guess that you did not look happy or confident trying to imagine yourself wearing it, hence the "come back in 20 years" suggestion.

This would still be a positive recommendation for an average guy, 30 - 50, no crime in that. Give it 10 years and it might be retro enough for a 20-something to wear with a wink and a nod.

Bosati05 - my intent was not to be confrontational (and thanks for the support, fellas) - rather it mirrored the nature of the initial post. You're right - this is a forum to ask questions, but the initial post was anything but simply seeking to ask for people's insight. My response was as "negative" as your initial post. Here is why"

The title "what's the deal with PMR?" and the comment "can't be pulled off by anyone under 50" are negative means of seeking commentary and imply that people under 50 shouldn't be wearing the fragrance, in your opinion. "The deal" is always the same with every single fragrance - some people like, some people don't like. The fact that you didn't like it, which is totally up to you - doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it and that other people can't wear it. When you say "what's the deal with..." it is like you're saying "this sucks - what's the deal with all the people liking it..." Perhaps you don't realize this is how you sound - but now you do. This isn't the first time your posts have been disparaging of fragrances you don't like.

I also posted what I did to dispel the notion that "pulling off" a fragrance means anything other than enjoying it. Too often, people are told "this if for old people" or "this is for young people" or "this is for women" and thus they can't "pull it off" because they aren't in that group. This is a complete fiction - as long as you like a fragrance you can wear that fragrance. My post thus used your comment about people under 50 "not being able to pull off [PMR]" as a jumping off point for educating people who may not realize that "pulling off" is a fiction. Perhaps you were able to learn from my commentary as well.

In the future, the means by which to elicit BNers opinions without negativity is to ask "what do people think of [fragrance name]?" Instead of "what's the deal with....?" - Likewise not insulting the fragrance in the first post (and thus the people who wear it) is advisable as well.

Finally - the entire premise of your post was odd. What do you think it means when a number of experienced reviewers give something a positive review, and then you don't like it? The answer is pretty clear. In the future you should probably just ask for comments on a fragrances without your own color commentary on it. Whenever I can add value to a discussion, I will. Look at the thread today on vanilla fragrances in which I made nearly a dozen recommendations (to a new member). I will respond commensurate to the level of negativity in the initial post.

When I noticed the number of positive reviews, I went to try it out. I thought that it was awful. I don't think that anyone under fifty could pull it off. Can someone explain this fragrance to me.
    Son, there are some things in life, like the birds and the bees, that will come to you as you mature. Of course, there are some things, like a full head of hair and senility, that you'll loose, too. That's why the good lord put Polo Modern Reserve on his little green planet; to help those senior citizens in the adult homes stay active with the "ladeez". Polo Modern Reserve, when Viagara just isn't enough (and Polo is just too much).

This message was brought to you buy a sarcastic 36 year old, and is meant to be read in jest.

Excellent analysis and summary. This is why folks like bbBD are invaluable to this community.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Bosati05 - my intent was not to be confrontational (and thanks for the support, fellas) - rather it mirrored the nature of the initial post. You're right - this is a forum to ask questions, but the initial post was anything but simply seeking to ask for people's insight. My response was as "negative" as your initial post. Here is why"

The title "what's the deal with PMR?" and the comment "can't be pulled off by anyone under 50" are negative means of seeking commentary and imply that people under 50 shouldn't be wearing the fragrance, in your opinion. "The deal" is always the same with every single fragrance - some people like, some people don't like. The fact that you didn't like it, which is totally up to you - doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it and that other people can't wear it. When you say "what's the deal with..." it is like you're saying "this sucks - what's the deal with all the people liking it..." Perhaps you don't realize this is how you sound - but now you do. This isn't the first time your posts have been disparaging of fragrances you don't like.

I also posted what I did to dispel the notion that "pulling off" a fragrance means anything other than enjoying it. Too often, people are told "this if for old people" or "this is for young people" or "this is for women" and thus they can't "pull it off" because they aren't in that group. This is a complete fiction - as long as you like a fragrance you can wear that fragrance. My post thus used your comment about people under 50 "not being able to pull off [PMR]" as a jumping off point for educating people who may not realize that "pulling off" is a fiction. Perhaps you were able to learn from my commentary as well.

In the future, the means by which to elicit BNers opinions without negativity is to ask "what do people think of [fragrance name]?" Instead of "what's the deal with....?" - Likewise not insulting the fragrance in the first post (and thus the people who wear it) is advisable as well.

Finally - the entire premise of your post was odd. What do you think it means when a number of experienced reviewers give something a positive review, and then you don't like it? The answer is pretty clear. In the future you should probably just ask for comments on a fragrances without your own color commentary on it. Whenever I can add value to a discussion, I will. Look at the thread today on vanilla fragrances in which I made nearly a dozen recommendations (to a new member). I will respond commensurate to the level of negativity in the initial post.

Thanks for the laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    Son, there are some things in life, like the birds and the bees, that will come to you as you mature. Of course, there are some things, like a full head of hair and senility, that you'll loose, too. That's why the good lord put Polo Modern Reserve on his little green planet; to help those senior citizens in the adult homes stay active with the "ladeez". Polo Modern Reserve, when Viagara just isn't enough (and Polo is just too much).

This message was brought to you buy a sarcastic 36 year old, and is meant to be read in jest.

We could continue to go back and forth with clever comments, presenting reasoning for why eachother is incorrect. The fact of the matter is that it's difficult to distinguish true intentions through words only. The internet limits the use of emotion; therefore, it's common for text to be misconstrued. It appears that this was just a misunderstanding all the way around. bbBD, if you were genuinely trying to help, thanks. In the future, I'll try to be more clear, and less harsh in my word choices.

Modern Reserve is a nice udpated version of the original. The big bonus to me with MR is it doesn't have nuclear sillage as the original. Original Polo is one of those scents that you can litterally smell 100 yards away. Don't get me wrong, I love Polo and respect it, but a little goes a long ways. It's a CEO scent to me.

There's an odd note in the dry down to MR ... the best way to express what my nose detects is the mysterious note reminds me of the smell of vaseline. What is that note?
    Peace ~ Markymark

That's a good idea, bosati05.... though to be perfectly clear I don't think I misconstrued anything, nor was I 'incorrect' in anything I said. You call PMR "awful" in your first post (and it appears you edited the thread title), which is not the language people typically use to refer to fragrances when eliciting commentary on them. Given the fact that I put a lot of effort into giving you a very comprehensive response to your request for comments on Dior Homme, there was no need for you insult my participation on BN (as you lack the standing to do so). Also, to insult my participation within the context of your own social 'faux pas' of insulting a fragrance you're asking for help with just doesn't make sense.

The fact of the matter is that many guys here on BN enjoy fougeres such as PMR, so to state that such fragrances are for people "over 50" comes off as an insulting comment. Perhaps as you sample more fragrances and your nose develops you will realize that your association of fougeres with depth and "older people" is without substantiation. In fact, appreciating fougeres seems to be hallmark of those with sophisticated noses. [It took me a long time to 'get' fougeres enough to appreciate them].

I'm not trying to mean or negative, I'm just being straight.

I find bbBd comments always on target very useful, keep up the good work and thank you for listening to everyone and give extensive information on the questions asked.
    As a matter of fact I find most of the people here very nice, knowledable and helpful. Only a couple of time some people was not very polite to me and I responded in the same fashion which I later regretted.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I'm under 50 and I pull it off.....This is a Great scent.....Lasts, doesn't smell like everything else.....doesn't cost a truck load of money.....and I don't have to search all over the world to find it.....Gary

Talking Re: What's the big deal with Polo Modern Reserve?

Hmmm was this thread a subliminal way to get basenoters to reveal their age??!!!...J/K hahahaha
    Last edited by EarNoseThroat; 23rd March 2009 at 12:00 PM.

I feel compelled to post an update to this thread.

Today I had the chance to sample Polo Modern Reserve. I am quite disappointed based on what others have remarked regarding their positive experience with this fragrance. Some have remarked that this fragrance has monster sillage? A modern re-interpretation of a classic? A provocative dry down?

Perhaps it is just my dry skin, but quite frankly I do not feel this way even remotely about this rather disappointing fragrance.

I am not getting any of these notes. I find this fragrance to have a very strong pine opening and not much else at all. I cannot even say that it smells really nice as others have remarked.

I seem to find myself constantly disappointed with the Ralph Lauren house, which in my book, seems to have a strong propensity to promise then disappoint. As a very good example. the much touted Prive line is now in the bargain bins at TJ Maxx and the like.

The next time I am at Nordstrom, I may ask for a few samples of the classic green Polo to determine if it wears as loudly as I remember, and whether it might make a good fit for my current wardrobe. However, after today, I seriously doubt that PMR will find a place in my wardrobe.

Just my 2 cents. I know that some really like PMR. But for me, this fragrance just does not work at all.

Best,

TJ

I love aquatics and lighter, fresher scents. I hate excessively sweet and powdery scents which strike me as weak and feminine, and I really stay away from the geriatrics of the seventies and early eighties because they smell so dated. The original polo is a good scent based on pure composition, but its not for my generation and it is definitely "historical"

And yet, I really like PMR. I scored a bottle for about half price on ebay, we shall see how it goes. If not I can always make that money back. PMR is that awesome, spicy, piney, green gentlemans scent for my generation, which is something to be appreciated.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    I feel compelled to post an update to this thread.

Today I had the chance to sample Polo Modern Reserve. I am quite disappointed based on what others have remarked regarding their positive experience with this fragrance. Some have remarked that this fragrance has monster sillage? A modern re-interpretation of a classic? A provocative dry down?

Perhaps it is just my dry skin, but quite frankly I do not feel this way even remotely about this rather disappointing fragrance.

I am not getting any of these notes. I find this fragrance to have a very strong pine opening and not much else at all. I cannot even say that it smells really nice as others have remarked.

I seem to find myself constantly disappointed with the Ralph Lauren house, which in my book, seems to have a strong propensity to promise then disappoint. As a very good example. the much touted Prive line is now in the bargain bins at TJ Maxx and the like.

The next time I am at Nordstrom, I may ask for a few samples of the classic green Polo to determine if it wears as loudly as I remember, and whether it might make a good fit for my current wardrobe. However, after today, I seriously doubt that PMR will find a place in my wardrobe.

Just my 2 cents. I know that some really like PMR. But for me, this fragrance just does not work at all.

Best,

TJ
    I totally agree TJ. I find it to be quite a mediocre fragrance - at best. I also find the sillage and longevity to be below average. It's not anything that I want in my wardrobe.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Today I received the bottle I won and I tried it right away.It seems to be a softer,less powerful and not THAT different compared to the original Polo (keep in mind that I figured the same thing after using Bvlgari Aqva Marine:not THAT different compared to original Aqva).I get more than hints that remind me the (excellent indeed) Polo Crest.And when I first tried Crest, some time ago, I thought that this arised after unifying Polo and Safari...Four distinct scents,shouldn't have been a bit more differentiated?
    Another blind buy I did not regret,especially for the price,but not the triumph I was hoping for...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

I wore Polo Modern Reserve yesterday and it was one of the most satisfying days I've spent with a scent in ages.

I used 3 sprays at about 8:00 AM and it lasted all day. Just a full, nice rich scent. I sold a previous bottle, but I hope I have sense enough to hold on to it this time. My wife really liked it as well.

Cuts out the sometimes obnoxious qualities of the original. 3 sprays of it and you would be killing the room! Plus, it was just worn out from every one using it. Smelled great, but it became the equivalent of vanilla scented car air fresheners. Just too common.

PMR is different enough that you can't immediately ID it as a Polo scent.

A revamped Polo that is suspiciously close to the defunct Polo Crest.

It just smelled like a lighter version of the original to me
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

I've sampled PMR several times and intend to buy a full bottle eventually. My previous favorites from RL were Polo green and Safari. But PMR is better imo than the original. The last time I owned a bottle of Polo green, it tended to go straight to the tobacco and it just smelled off on my skin. PMR is smooth and enjoyable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I wore Polo Modern Reserve yesterday and it was one of the most satisfying days I've spent with a scent in ages.

I used 3 sprays at about 8:00 AM and it lasted all day.
    You and I must be on some sort of similar cosmic scent plane. I also applied 3 sprays at 8AM and it lasted all day as well.

Really liked it; I think if I ever get thru my decant, I'll have to go out and buy a full bottle. (Hey, Chuck, wanna split a bottle? )
    someone please stop me from buying more cologne.

top five: 1) Creed Vintage Tabarome 2) Creed Windsor 2) Serge Lutens Chergui 3) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5) MFK Lumiére Noire Pour Homme

You know what really impressed me about this fragrance? The fact that I got a 4 ounce bottle for $25 at Perfumania. Now it's $61.49 at the same site and I think it's worth every penny at that price. A really great, long-lasting EdT that really does modernize the classic Polo into something that's well liked by most everyone.

Talking Re: What's the big deal with Polo Modern Reserve?

Midiguru: When you can get a 4 OZ for $18-$25 at times, splits are not necessary! Thanks for thinking about me, though! Keep your eyes open on eBay, and when your decant is gone, you should be able to find an awesome deal!

Thumbs up Re: What's the big deal with Polo Modern Reserve?

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    A revamped Polo that is suspiciously close to the defunct Polo Crest.
    My Thoughts Exactly. I think It is Polo Crest w/ a different name.
    That's a good thing to me.

I think eventually this stuff will command astronomical prices, stock seems to be dwindling at Most Macy's. That $25 perfumania deal was awesome ...bought me a back up bottle just in case.

I haven't had the chance to try it, but as much as I know about it, it's in a great part pine. I would be very thankful if someone would compare Modern Reserve and Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant, which is a gorgeous pine/balsamic fir after a time.
    Last edited by Sandy; 21st November 2009 at 06:32 AM.

I've heard rumors PMR is being discontinued. Anybody know for sure? Hope not...

This world IS big enough for both Classic Polo and Modern Reserve (and Crest if you can find it, although modern is close enough to it, ironically) use them to you're Hearts content. And in good Health I hope

It's good, but the sweet amber is too strong.

Well, I guess it's for the people whom once hated Polo Green, though adore Polo Green Reserve...for the wimps :P..jokes, though required of a more sensual preference. I prefer the original!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket