Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I need some real Vanilla

I need your help once again.

While I was "admiring" my wardrobe yesterday, it hit me that I had no real vanilla scent.

I have fragrances that have vanilla (e.g. Habit Rouge etc.) but not the real deal.

I don t like Pi nor the Dreamer, I want the real stuff.

I was thinking about the ffollowing, put in order of my interest :

1. Guerlain - Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    2. Micallef - Note vanillée
    3. Montale - Vanille Absolu
    4. Montale - Chypré Vanillé
    5. Micallef - Aoud Vanille
    6. Montale - Vanille Boisée

I don t contemplate buying Tom Ford tobacco vanille now because apparently, even though it seems amazing, it is more tobacco (note that I love) than Vanilla. Shall i test Shalimar ?

Would you please indicate me what you guys think of the fragrances I listed that you have worn/tested to help me ?

I could not sample any of the 6 I listed so far.

_Other ideas are of course welcome.

Alex
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Default Re: I need some real Vanilla

If you want the "real stuff," then I suggest taking a look at the frags available on jojoelle.com, in particular Black Vanilla, Buttery Vanilla, Dakota, and Madagascar Vanilla. There may be others that would interest you, so go to:

http://www.jojoelle.com/index.php?ma...b98db0c55fd663
    Last edited by Bigsly; 21st March 2009 at 06:32 PM.

SDV is just amazing- boozy and very vanilla. Longevity is okay but sillage is sub-par...
    Vanille Absolu- is veryyy sweet- still unmistakably vanilla, but culinary grade if you catch my meaning- Longevity is just superb, as is sillage.

SDV is my fav vanilla, but TV wins out as its sillage and longevity are beautiful
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

Alex, have you sampled Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille yourself? I don't know if you meant that when you wrote that the tobacco is more pronounced than the vanilla.

I would actually say the vanilla is overwhelming the tobacco: Tobacco Vanille smells like a vanilla candle to me: wax, smoke, vanilla.

Oh and, don't forget Les Vanillées of Comptoir Sud Pacifique.

http://www.comptoir-sud-pacifique.co...e-extreme.html
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 21st March 2009 at 07:11 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Vanila Absolu is about as real as it gets. I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Your #1 to try (SDV) is my #1 vanilla. Nothing comes close.

Post Thanks / Like

Montale Chypre Vanille is not a vanilla-dominated fragrance the way that Vanille Absolu is. I love Chypre Vanille, but not because it's a vanilla. Likewise with Montale Bois Vanille - it is primarily a wood fragrance that is sweetened with vanilla, not vice versa. If you're looking for another Montale, you'd do better with Vanille Ecstasy. Of all the Montale's Vanille Absolu is the "purest" vanilla.

I personally find SDV to be the queen of vanillas. With Tobacco Vanille you get the best of both, tobacco and vanilla. I wouldn't call TV tobacco-prominent, but nor is it vanilla-prominent, either. It's a damn good balance.

The Micallef Vanille Aoud does have a fairly distinct oud note... it's a fantastic fragrance but be aware it's not at all a straight-vanilla. I've never tried Note Vanille.

Some others to put on your list to try:

Parfumerie Generale Felanilla (vanilla/wood)
    Profumum Vanitas (vanilla)
    L'Artisan Vanilia (vanilla/candyfloss)
    Santa Maria Novella Vaniglia (vanilla)
    Fragonard Vanille (vanilla/sandalwood)
    Memoire Liquide Vanille Moire (vanilla/spice)
    Hermes Vanille Galante (floral vanilla)
    Dior Addict (floral bourbon vanilla)
    IPDF Vanille des Madagascar

Don't forget Le Labo's Vanilla 44 too. I like that take on Vanilla quite a bit!

Serge Lutens has a nice vanilla, Un Bois Vanille. I haven't tried any of the ones in your shortlist though, so I'm not sure how it'd stack up.

Post Thanks / Like

bbBD,

Just curious about the Fragonard Vanille - sandalwood/vanilla. How "true" and apparent is the sandalwood in this mix?

Too often my untrained nose seems to confuse vanilla for musk and the other way around. Once I delve in further I think I'll be able to make the distinction easily, as I understand that "true" musk has only faint vanilla characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Montale Chypre Vanille is not a vanilla-dominated fragrance the way that Vanille Absolu is. I love Chypre Vanille, but not because it's a vanilla. Likewise with Montale Bois Vanille - it is primarily a wood fragrance that is sweetened with vanilla, not vice versa. If you're looking for another Montale, you'd do better with Vanille Ecstasy. Of all the Montale's Vanille Absolu is the "purest" vanilla.

I personally find SDV to be the queen of vanillas. With Tobacco Vanille you get the best of both, tobacco and vanilla. I wouldn't call TV tobacco-prominent, but nor is it vanilla-prominent, either. It's a damn good balance.

The Micallef Vanille Aoud does have a fairly distinct oud note... it's a fantastic fragrance but be aware it's not at all a straight-vanilla. I've never tried Note Vanille.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    Don't forget Le Labo's Vanilla 44 too. I like that take on Vanilla quite a bit!
    Vanille 44 is quite marvelous.

Montal Vanilla extasy or Hanoe mori
    Last edited by cmax; 22nd March 2009 at 01:52 AM.

L'Artisan's Vanilia is quite the perfect sweet vanilla. However, it may cause tooth decay.

Post Thanks / Like

Currently my favorite vanilla is Ayala Moriel's Immortelle L'Amour - vanilla and immortelle.

Post Thanks / Like

Le Labo Vanille 44 IS marvelous, but since it's a Paris-exclusive that costs around $500, I omitted it from the list.

I agree with the other recommendations for SL's Un Bois Vanille - not sure how I forgot that one, but it's damn good. On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, Bath & Body Works Vanilla Noir ain't bad at all, and it's very inexpensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post

Wow that is a nice list...I have only tried SDV and own Tom Ford TV which I love!

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is very good! I have not explored anything vanilla yet, apart from Pi, which I find far too sticky and cloying. I'm very interested in SDV but I am looking for something perhaps dryer than what I would associate with vanilla. Is SDV or any other vanilla fragrance dry?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I am a "vanilla nut" and just luuuuv vanilla. However, because of this, I am also very, very fussy when it comes to vanilla frag's. It has to smell like the real deal, true vanilla like the actual vanilla pods and not some synthetic copy of it. I don't like it smelling like what most people associate with vanilla ... like ice cream or vanilla essence or whatever it is that they put in those vanilla candles. That stuff is just too sweet, cloying and horrid. Also as another example, everybody says Pi is far too vanillary. When in fact this is totally incorrect because what is actually in Pi is Benzoin and not vanilla at all.
    Most vanilla frags on the market are blended with far too strong floral notes to support the vanilla. Which make them far too flowery for me. (These include the Hermes Vanille Galante, Dior Addict, L'Artisan, Fragorad, Goutal etc etc )
    The Guerlain SDV is a gorgeous fragrance but has also got much Ceder, Pepper, Incense and other Floral elements going on, to be just true vanilla. But it is stunning and the vanilla in it is lovely.
    SLutens -Un Bois Vanille is also quite stunning. The vanilla is a true vanilla-pod vanilla but it is equally as strong on the bois (wood). Half vanilla, half wood. (Probably heavier on the wood though) It's a very nice vanilla that is not too sweet and not cloying at all. I like it equally to SDV , yet they smell completely different.
    TF's Tobacco Vanille is as you said equally vanilla and tobacco but if you don't mind the tobacco, the vanilla used in it, is just absolutely delicious. It smells exactly like pipe vanilla tobacco.
    The Chypre Vanille and Bois Vanille, as previously stated ... I second ! They really are much more about the wood and everything else that's in them. Vanilla is not very strong at all here.
    The other fragrances mentioned, I cannot comment on because I have yet to sample them.
    But the two that are my absolute favorite from the one's mentioned are Micallef's Note Vanillee and PG's Felanilla. They are both very different from one another. Note Ambree being overall stronger, with an absolutely gorgeous warm true vanilla note. While Felanilla is more of a cool vanilla with touches of banana wood and saffron. But playing centre stage is probably the truest, best quality Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla I have ever smelled anywhere. Definitly my two fave vanillas, by far. The only problem being they are a little on the pricey side (But then, you do get what you pay for ... no synthetic vanilla here) ... Just the real heavenly stuff in abundance !

Post Thanks / Like

there is one Roger & Gallet that is vanilla, I dont remember which one though
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Post Thanks / Like

A very very nice vanilla prominent frag that is also affordable is " IGNITION " BY Lomani .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Roc_Xel, it really depends on what type of a 'real' vanilla scent you're looking for.

Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille is the best vanilla I've sampled, no doubt about it. But some of the other recommendations are worth exploring too.

Some would say that Micallef's Note Vanillée is superior to SDV but I disagree - I find it less attractive (it's also devoid of the tabacco note).

Montale's takes on vanilla are admirable but an acquired taste - the best one being Boise Vanille (very dry and woody, with very little sweetness, it reminds me of Habanita during the drydown).

Un Bois Vanille could have been a favourite but some of the notes simply jar me (coconut and burnt sugar). Also, the vanilla is sometimes too creamy for my liking. Longevity could have also been better.

I haven't tried Vanilla 44 yet.

Profumum Vanitas is my second favourite vanilla scent - it's better composed and less woody than Un Bois Vanille (and with much better longevity and sillage). As much as I love SDV, I wanted a more straight-forward and creamy vanilla scent (but one that smelt like the real deal). Vanitas has filled the void perfectly and, even as I type, a bottle is making its way from Italy to yours truly...
    Last edited by Trebor; 24th March 2009 at 04:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Great reading Sybarite! I will remember you the next time I have a vanilla question. I don't find L'Artisan and Fragonard to be that floral, but it's been a while since I sampled them and I'll have to check them out later to see if I missed something. I'm also definitely going to sample the Micallef Note Vanillee based on your recommendation.

Another I've sampled that I forgot to mention: Farmacia SS Anunziata Vanille de Madagascar parfum... have you tried this one Sybarite? I'd love to get your thoughts on it.

If you're willing to branch out from pure vanilla into mixed-note vanillas, Profumum also has Dulcis en Fundo and Acqua e Zucciero, both of which are strong vanilla mixes with fruit notes, the Dulcis being more liqueur- like, and the AeZ is more pastry like. Both great (though very pricey).

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    I need your help once again.

While I was "admiring" my wardrobe yesterday, it hit me that I had no real vanilla scent.

I have fragrances that have vanilla (e.g. Habit Rouge etc.) but not the real deal.

I don t like Pi nor the Dreamer, I want the real stuff.

I was thinking about the ffollowing, put in order of my interest :

1. Guerlain - Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    2. Micallef - Note vanillée
    3. Montale - Vanille Absolu
    4. Montale - Chypré Vanillé
    5. Micallef - Aoud Vanille
    6. Montale - Vanille Boisée

I don t contemplate buying Tom Ford tobacco vanille now because apparently, even though it seems amazing, it is more tobacco (note that I love) than Vanilla. Shall i test Shalimar ?

Would you please indicate me what you guys think of the fragrances I listed that you have worn/tested to help me ?

I could not sample any of the 6 I listed so far.

_Other ideas are of course welcome.

Alex
    Yes, you must test Shalimar! It's an absolute gem, especially in the EDP and Parfum strengths.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Sampled PG's Felanilla this evening, and I have to say that I don't like it too much. On my skin it comes across as something similar to Bvlgari Black, but just more refined. It's not bad, but just not at all what I expected and it has some notes that just don't work for me. Pity... I had some hopes!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Profumum Vanitas is my second favourite vanilla scent - it's better composed and less woody than Un Bois Vanille (and with much better longevity and sillage). As much as I love SDV, I wanted a more straight-forward and creamy vanilla scent (but one that smelt like the real deal). Vanitas has filled the void perfectly and, even as I type, a bottle is making its way from Italy to yours truly...
    Wow, I know how much you really liked SDV when it came out Trebor - so the fact that you've been impressed enough by Vanitas to buy a full bottle impresses me. I must try it.

I already used up my decant of SDV and miss it. It, with Tobacco Vanille, were my go-to heavy hitter vanillas. I am wearing, for the first time this afternoon, Un Bois Vanille. Wow! So sweet...but it's not as floral as the L'Artisan and Annick Goutal. It keeps changing on my skin. The problem is, well it's not a problem per se, but here in Miami it's very warm and heavy, wood, sweet vanillas tend to get sticky and icky here when they dry down.

I really like Vanille 44, but it's not a TRUE vanilla, in my opinion. It smells like vanilla corn syrup, mixed with carbonated water. Nice, unique, very wearable (for Miami) yet incredibly overpriced.

Oddly, I haven't tested any of the Montale vanillas. Somehow they all sound too...high caloric.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wow, I know how much you really liked SDV when it came out Trebor - so the fact that you've been impressed enough by Vanitas to buy a full bottle impresses me. I must try it.

I already used up my decant of SDV and miss it. It, with Tobacco Vanille, were my go-to heavy hitter vanillas. I am wearing, for the first time this afternoon, Un Bois Vanille. Wow! So sweet...but it's not as floral as the L'Artisan and Annick Goutal. It keeps changing on my skin. The problem is, well it's not a problem per se, but here in Miami it's very warm and heavy, wood, sweet vanillas tend to get sticky and icky here when they dry down.

I really like Vanille 44, but it's not a TRUE vanilla, in my opinion. It smells like vanilla corn syrup, mixed with carbonated water. Nice, unique, very wearable (for Miami) yet incredibly overpriced.

Oddly, I haven't tested any of the Montale vanillas. Somehow they all sound too...high caloric.
    Well, Mike, SDV and Vanitas are completely different vanilla scents but I always felt I had enough room in my collection for at least two hardcore (and grown-up) vanillas. As much as my reviews for Profumum have been (mostly) lukewarm, I do feel that their creations are getting better with each passing year (and when this house first emerged, I wasn't particularly impressed).

Un Bois Vanille has always been a difficult case for me. It took me a while to appreciate it but, even then, I could never deem it as full-bottle worthy. Regarding Vanitas, I suppose this is another case of Serge Lutens allowing itself to be 'creatively overtaken' by houses that it had originally inspired (and sometimes with new creations that are actual improvements on the originals). I often wonder how Serge Lutens will be perceived, five years from now, should they continue churning out uninspired/conservative releases...

The Montales are definitely worth a try, if only for the sake of curiosity.

As for Vanille 44, I have no plans to purchase it (even if I like it) but I am curious about all the praise it's received.

Post Thanks / Like

Many great posts, thanks.

I have not replied before because when you do the thread usually then stops with ppl thinking "ok he s got what he needs, he ll move on now and will sample". And bye bye the thread. But i read carefully each post since 3 days

Payday comes in 3 hours, what a nice coincidence

Samples of the Micallef and Montale are coming.

There are not more available of your suggestion in Ausliebezumduft, which is now my (almost) unique online dealer. _Perfumed court is amazing but when you see the samples of ALZD and their price you defnitely know PC is way too expensive. Still helpful for some fragrances you would not find anywhere else.

I m gonna try Felanilla directly in a shop here tomorrow. I ll go to milan in 1o days and will try the Tobacco Vanilla (150 Euros there) and "Trebor's Profumum".

_I don t know yet how I ll test SDV but honnestly it seems amazing from what you guys said. I ll find someway to try it, and I think i might even purchase it blind.

_I will of course let you know what I think.

N.B About the Montale, only "Vanille boisé" and Vanille absolue are available at ALZD, but no Vanilla Excatsy. They also sell the Vanille chypré but it really did not have that much praise on this topic so i guess i ll start with the two others that look great.

Also, i thought the Micallef would have more love , only one or two ppl mentionned it. I ll try anyway !

Thanks again for the very helpful advises.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Post Thanks / Like

Thallium (Jacques Evard)