Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: The best Byredo frag?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chembur

14 16.47%
  • Green

9 10.59%
  • Gypsy Water

16 18.82%
  • Pulp

37 43.53%
  • Rose Noir

9 10.59%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The Best in Byredo

To the op, I've also read so many mixed things about the line that I've consciously avoided it. But I am curious, too. I have heard that M/Mink is quite well done and original, a lot of people like Pulp. The line is extensive, 16 in all. Exclusive to Barneys in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Any more thoughts on this line?
    I don't like any of them. They all have a house note I can't get on with. They're samey.

weirdest line ever, not for me at all.. gypsy water reminds me of car odor.. the smell makes me nauseous rofl
    and pulp yeaaa.. no thanks!

There's only one place for a Byredo frag, the dumpster.

They're a weird line with very modern/minimalistic/synthetic reinterpretations of more traditional structures. I say weird because they don't take it into the intentionally/OTT avant-garde territory like H&G - they straddle this odd line between classic and post modern, while eschewing traditional modernity altogether.

bizarre not in a good way and not very wearable.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

BTW, if anyone's in Canada and wants samples, PM me. They'll be free.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 7th June 2012 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Bal d'Afrique is without a doubt my fave one
    agree

Excuse me, but Byredo´s line is not my " right foot ".
    I would expend my money with something more crème de la crème.

I like chembur, so my vote goes there. I also like bal d'afrique which to me smells lile coconut for some reason afndv would be fantastic on the right woman. Other than that I'm not very impressed by this line. Blanche is outright hideous.

Great Throbbing Member

I've only tried a few. Baudelaire and Bal d'Afrique failed to impress but I thought Fantastic Man very good indeed, although rather ambitiously-priced. I might sample a few more in time.

Lovely offer Master-Classter, I wish I was in Canada!

This is an unimpressive line to me, not bcoz theyr not well created, high quality or high concept, but because for what you get they are way overpriced. That being said

PULP is the only one that Ive tried that seems worth my dollars - I'll get a 50ml bCoz Lord knows u'll never need more. Very very unique starts off as rotting mass of fruit then in some Benjamin Button-esque, reverse ageing manner driesdown to over-ripe indiscernible mass of fruit. Beast-mode performance wise, like Incredible HULK type ish.

bal D'Afrique - sweet floral top that gives off a Mango accord, very interesting until it quickly dried down into mundaneness & mediocrity.

Oud Immortel - Im not a fan of Ouds at all, the Oud in this is the Aventus type interpretation. instead of apple/pineapple they used lime/lemons. However there is great imbalance, the smoky/ashy accords are just too overpowering. A great missed opportunity. Why should this exist in a world with Aventus?

Rose Noir - Not unisex in the least bit, very feminine light rose, don't be fooled by the word, 'Noir', there's nothing dark about this fragrance. It is a mediocre rose that u can get in too many department store feminine fragrances. Why should this exist in a world with Noir De Noir?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    They're a weird line with very modern/minimalistic/synthetic reinterpretations of more traditional structures. I say weird because they don't take it into the intentionally/OTT avant-garde territory like H&G - they straddle this odd line between classic and post modern, while eschewing traditional modernity altogether.
    You sure do like your fancy words, don't you lol How on earth does Post-Modernism fit into this discussion?

I smelled Pulp yesterday, smells like a Veggie Juice cleanse. Specifically, I smell parsley and green peppers. I'm not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    I smelled Pulp yesterday, smells like a Veggie Juice cleanse. Specifically, I smell parsley and green peppers. I'm not a fan.
    I'm a semi-avid juicer. It smells like the leftover pulp (no pun intended) of veggies and fruits. I'm not a fan. But I do have/own Baudelaire and that one is a great Fall/Winter scent.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Sampled almost the whole range and ended up with Black Saffron.

I voted for Pulp in this antique poll but IMHO Bullion is their best and is one of my favorites from any house.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (26 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (25 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (20 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (16 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (16 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (14 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Best byredo for me, is Black Saffron.
    Raspberry, leather and saffron constitutes this one.
    Pulp is also a good one, although not that versatile. Wouldn't want to smell like a ripe fruit basket always.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyacl View Post
    From these I know only Pulp and Gypsy Water. The latter is very good although I think Pulp is better.
    Try out Black Saffron if possible, I guess you'll like it the most amongst the Byredo range.

I don't think your poll has selected the best ones. My favorites from Byredo are: Mister Marvelous, M/Mink, Sunday Cologne, Bullion, Incense Chembur and Oud Immortel. The stand out is M/Mink in my opinion, but Sunday Cologne might be their best seller to men. Like many other fragrance houses Byredo sells twice as much to women as men and I don't know what fragrances appeal to women the most.

The only one that grabs my attention out of this line is Bal d'Afrique.

Interestingly, this one is sweeter in cold weather and more fresh/floral (less sweet) in hot weather.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I don't think your poll has selected the best ones. My favorites from Byredo are: Mister Marvelous, M/Mink, Sunday Cologne, Bullion, Incense Chembur and Oud Immortel.

A valid point for sure, but I guess the OP didn't have access to a crystal ball - at least four of the above choices weren't even released when the poll was created (over five years ago ).
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 28th September 2014 at 08:06 PM.
    Currently wearing: KL Homme by Lagerfeld

Okay, I've sampled most of the newer releases. There really wasn't much to choose from, so deciding wasn't that difficult.

My vote goes to 1996, even though it's still flawed.

Black Saffron, but from these Pulp.

Only one I sampled was Black Saffron. Great fragrance. Like the leather an raspberry notes.

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Since last posting more than two years ago, Black Saffron has been the most pleasant for me from their offerings.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.