Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: The best Byredo frag?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chembur

13 21.31%
  • Green

7 11.48%
  • Gypsy Water

14 22.95%
  • Pulp

19 31.15%
  • Rose Noir

8 13.11%

Cool The Best in Byredo

Just a little poll I'm doing, I want to know what you guys think is the best Byredo fragrance! Their frags are really expensive and I've heard mixed reviews about how good their frags are.

Default Re: The Best in Byredo

The only two I've tried are Green and Gypsy Water. I like the former, it is a lot like Knize Two (perhaps greener).
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

anyone have tried thier recent launch: ( Fantastic Men )?
    Last edited by tariq; 24th March 2009 at 06:15 AM.

Chembur is very incense-y....reminds me of Christmas....like it a lot!

Haven't tried any lol.

I've tried Chembur, which was pomander-ish - good if you're looking for a emphatic but not overwhelming spice scent. I tried Green, which sure was green - not much else to say. Bal d'Afrique is the one I've liked best so far. Warm mix of vetiver and musk, with a floral introduction. I even considered a full bottle - haven't done so yet though.

Pulp is all I've tried. I really like it, but it borders on unwearability. The fruits are too heavy, too ripe, and last for too damn long. I'm sure it'll find it's fans though.

Among the ones I've tried, I'll give the nod to Rose Noir. It's a lovely chypre with a tangy opening transgressing into a densely populated roses and musk midphase with a woodsy drydown. It's almost criminal!
    Last edited by Amit; 30th September 2009 at 07:42 PM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    I've tried Chembur, which was pomander-ish - good if you're looking for a emphatic but not overwhelming spice scent. I tried Green, which sure was green - not much else to say. Bal d'Afrique is the one I've liked best so far. Warm mix of vetiver and musk, with a floral introduction. I even considered a full bottle - haven't done so yet though.
    I agree. Also Fantastic Man is nice. Retro-modern and very wearable.

Some days ago I saw their newest NK-only release: a box of six 30ml bottles; "a journey through the last 80 years in perfumery". There was Leather, Eau de Cologne, Chypre, Oriental and two more I don´t remember. I tried Leather and Chypre and I liked both, need to try more though.

One little side story: Last week I had a delivery (I am a part time bicycle messenger) to the Byredo head quarter, and there were bottles everywhere. The one they were holding at the moment were a Chanel Exclusifs Eau de Cologne and I was very pleased to recall it and comment on it. It turned out they were fascinated about the magnetic cap, but it seemed to expensive to "copy". My knowledge and interest awarded me some samples...
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Blog Entries

I was intrigued by Pulp until I actually tried to wear it (too strong - more like standing next to a fruit-scented candle than an actual perfume).

The rest scare me (seriously, the first whiffs of Green are terrifyingly mossy), except for Fantastic Man, which I quite liked.

So Fantastic Man gets my vote (stupid name, though)
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    I was intrigued by Pulp until I actually tried to wear it (too strong - more like standing next to a fruit-scented candle than an actual perfume).

The rest scare me (seriously, the first whiffs of Green are terrifyingly mossy), except for Fantastic Man, which I quite liked.

So Fantastic Man gets my vote (stupid name, though)
    A name where a comma would have made all the difference: Fantastic, Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    A name where a comma would have made all the difference: Fantastic, Man!
    Too Joop! -esque...

I haven't voted for any of them. I have yet to smell the new offerings but the rest did nothing for me. If pressed, I would choose Pulp but, while the opening is amazing, the drydown is horrendous.

Not a bad line at all.
    I remembered liking Rose Noir when I sampled it. Green was a weird one, hadn´t smelled anything like it before, very powdery. Haven´t smelled the new ones like Fantastic Man yet.

Bal d'Afrique is without a doubt my fave one, out the whole lot. I think it's really gorgeous ! ... And I liked Gypsy Water too ! ... Chembur was my third favourite.
    Fantastic Man I found to be just OK, nothing particularly special. ... And Green is exactly that ~ Super green ! So if ya like green frags, you might just like it ??? ....
    And the one that seems to be a bit of a favourite for many on here, I did not actually like at all ~ Pulp !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 1st October 2009 at 12:27 PM.

Blanche and Chembur get my vote.

The Best Byredo in my opinion is the one that you don`t buy it and save the money for something better. Their scents have a common smell to me. The only one that i really liked it was byredo green, but even this one has a soapy note that I dislike. Blanche seemed ordinary, Chembur is like a incense-ginger massmarket men fragrance with a niche price. Pulp is the worst I think. It`s quite ordinary the fruits and herbs, I have already smelled a shampoo similar to this one. I wouldn`t pay the price they charge for any of their common offerings

I really like the line but you dont get an awful lot of bang for your buck , great frags but not much in the longevity department . Love Gypsy Water and Pulp and I really want to try that new Palermo

Fantastic Man and the new Palermo are my favourite two, although neither lasts long enough to make me want to purchase any, especially at £100+ a bottle they sell for.

Any more thoughts on this line?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    The Best Byredo in my opinion is the one that you don`t buy it and save the money for something better.
    Sound advice IMO.

They're all good, but at the moment I really like Oud Immortel, Pulp, Bal D'Afrique, Seven Veils, and Rose Noir the most. But ALL Byredo fragrances are on my wishlist, even the "love it or hate it" M/MInk.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Pretty crap, IMHO.

However, I do plan to revisit this line and sample the newer releases, once my samples arrive...

I've got a sample of Mister Marvelous and it smells really nice, interesting look at vetiver

From Byredo I've tested the followings:
    Keep in mind that I'm not good at describing fragrances so I might be wrong in their notes and smell
    Gypsy Water - which is the my favorite from this line, a great amber fragrance which reminded me of Ambre Sultan and Amber 114
    Sunday Cologne -to me it felt similar to Hermes - TdH but with a more citrus opening
    Rose Noir - it reminded me a little of C&S - No.88
    Encens Chembur - I don't know how to describe it but I don't know why it reminded me of FM - Noir epices
    Pulp - to fruity for me, not really my type
    Baudelaire - from what I remember I only felt incense notes and I couldn't tell very well what it is with this fragrance and that because at the same time on the other hand I had A taste of heaven which was very impressive and I could not think at anything else
    Bal D'Afrique - I'm not sure now what to say about it but if I'm not mistaking along with Gypsy Water its one of the best from Byredo
    Accord Oud (another oud based fragrance) and Mister Marvelous - I can't remember to well about them and that can only mean that those two did not left a very good impression on me.

Some of them had good longevity and sillage others did not last to much on my skin and that is also an important criteria for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Bal d'Afrique is without a doubt my fave one, out the whole lot. I think it's really gorgeous ! ..
    This!

(for me not gorgeous but really nice)

I've smelled bal d afrique and it's really nice. I would like someone to tell me if it is too fem or if it turns too sweet on the skin? How does it wear? Oud immortelle thoughts?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I've smelled bal d afrique and it's really nice. I would like someone to tell me if it is too fem or if it turns too sweet on the skin?
    not in my skin, is very comfortable, a bit creamy (just the correct) and the floral side is very well restrained.
    I see it cheerful but still elegant.

I quite like them on the whole but I think you need to like weird and fruity accords to live with many in this line. Even Baudelaire has some quite strange notes which I didn't notice at first and that somewhat remind me of M/Mink.
    Last edited by laph; 16th April 2012 at 07:09 AM.

Pulp!

Only tried a few, but so far Baudelaire is in the lead for me.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

To the op, I've also read so many mixed things about the line that I've consciously avoided it. But I am curious, too. I have heard that M/Mink is quite well done and original, a lot of people like Pulp. The line is extensive, 16 in all. Exclusive to Barneys in the US.

I don't like any of them. They all have a house note I can't get on with. They're samey.

weirdest line ever, not for me at all.. gypsy water reminds me of car odor.. the smell makes me nauseous rofl
    and pulp yeaaa.. no thanks!

There's only one place for a Byredo frag, the dumpster.

They're a weird line with very modern/minimalistic/synthetic reinterpretations of more traditional structures. I say weird because they don't take it into the intentionally/OTT avant-garde territory like H&G - they straddle this odd line between classic and post modern, while eschewing traditional modernity altogether.

bizarre not in a good way and not very wearable.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

BTW, if anyone's in Canada and wants samples, PM me. They'll be free.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 7th June 2012 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Bal d'Afrique is without a doubt my fave one
    agree

Excuse me, but Byredo´s line is not my " right foot ".
    I would expend my money with something more crème de la crème.

I like chembur, so my vote goes there. I also like bal d'afrique which to me smells lile coconut for some reason afndv would be fantastic on the right woman. Other than that I'm not very impressed by this line. Blanche is outright hideous.

I've only tried a few. Baudelaire and Bal d'Afrique failed to impress but I thought Fantastic Man very good indeed, although rather ambitiously-priced. I might sample a few more in time.

Lovely offer Master-Classter, I wish I was in Canada!

This is an unimpressive line to me, not bcoz theyr not well created, high quality or high concept, but because for what you get they are way overpriced. That being said

PULP is the only one that Ive tried that seems worth my dollars - I'll get a 50ml bCoz Lord knows u'll never need more. Very very unique starts off as rotting mass of fruit then in some Benjamin Button-esque, reverse ageing manner driesdown to over-ripe indiscernible mass of fruit. Beast-mode performance wise, like Incredible HULK type ish.

bal D'Afrique - sweet floral top that gives off a Mango accord, very interesting until it quickly dried down into mundaneness & mediocrity.

Oud Immortel - Im not a fan of Ouds at all, the Oud in this is the Aventus type interpretation. instead of apple/pineapple they used lime/lemons. However there is great imbalance, the smoky/ashy accords are just too overpowering. A great missed opportunity. Why should this exist in a world with Aventus?

Rose Noir - Not unisex in the least bit, very feminine light rose, don't be fooled by the word, 'Noir', there's nothing dark about this fragrance. It is a mediocre rose that u can get in too many department store feminine fragrances. Why should this exist in a world with Noir De Noir?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    They're a weird line with very modern/minimalistic/synthetic reinterpretations of more traditional structures. I say weird because they don't take it into the intentionally/OTT avant-garde territory like H&G - they straddle this odd line between classic and post modern, while eschewing traditional modernity altogether.
    You sure do like your fancy words, don't you lol How on earth does Post-Modernism fit into this discussion?