Code of Conduct

Question Effects of Intoxication...

After reading this thread "Stoner Food"..
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=225613

I'm inspired to ask.. how do folks here respond to fragrances when they're intoxicated?

No need to get into specifics insofar as your method(s) of inebriation. I'll say that personally I don't use drugs, though I enjoy alcohol in moderation. I hope this isn't disrespectful to those reading who are in recovery or currently addicted.

A few spritzes of something like.. Bois du Portugal or Piper Nigrum before sipping on Remy Martin while reading the paper or a good book really heightens the indulgence and completes the luxurious experience for me. I played a beautiful grand piano in a lounge not too long ago while wearing ADP Colonia Assoluta and it was just sublime.. perfect.

Caffeine, for one, has been said to heighten awareness and pique senses. This could be why I don't have a SOTE many nights when I'll be too exhausted to appreciate it.

Default Re: Effects of Intoxication...

I have found that Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 and tawny port are a lovely combination of smell and taste. Of course, anything chocolate goes with port...

Interesting that Courvoisier and Bombay Sapphire have fragrances out. The Bombay Sapphire fragrance is supposed to actually smell like a gin martini!

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I have found that Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 and tawny port are a lovely combination of smell and taste. Of course, anything chocolate goes with port...

sipping on your third ice cold tecate while sitting on the beach with your best friends... suddenly the most subtle waft of bulgari aqua breaks off of your chest and drifts by... that is heaven
    At your service

alcohol is a drug. Usually a gateway drug. The pharmaceutical folks are taking a lot of the fun out of taking their drugs by insisting we don't consume alcohol when taking them.

Try a thread seach for boozy fragrances; Guerlain's Spiriteuse Vanilla springs to mind immediately. I'd love to find a fragrance with equal amounts of polished cherrywood, Cuban cigar and Johnny Walker Blue Label Scotch. Oh skip the fragrance; just send the Scotch.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 23rd March 2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added missing letters.

I actually tried to wear Johnny Blue as a fragrance one night long ago... actually I just passed out and spilled the glass all over myself, but I sure smelled great
    At your service

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydg View Post
    The Bombay Sapphire fragrance is supposed to actually smell like a gin martini!
    That actually sounds really appealing to me -- I think what I like most about Malle's Angeliques Sous la Pluie is the very gin-ny opening. Looks like it's discontinued, though?

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123128.html

a quality rum & coke cocktail while wearing By Kilian's Straight to Heaven is quite an enjoyable experience, for yourself and people around you!

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    the pharmaceutical folks are taking a lot of the fun out of taking their drugs by insisting we don't consume alcohol when taking them.
    Working as a pharmacy tech in my past and reading some of the literature, its more along the lines of not wanting you to die and have your family sue them because of the interactions and multiplicative factor of alcohol on some medications :-p

Why would you go and mix a quality rum with Coke?

Actually I do it myself but almost always have people asking why I waste money on quality booze and mix it with Coke or ginger ale.

I enjoy bourbon and rye on the rocks.. bourbon is nice because it has the oak/wood that I find satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjra View Post
    a quality rum & coke cocktail while wearing By Kilian's Straight to Heaven is quite an enjoyable experience, for yourself and people around you!

I got a bit of the gin opening from that Malle, as well. Juniper perhaps?

And yes, I think Bombay Sapphire has been discontinued or is extremely hard to find. I seem to recall reading a thread on that here a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by idobsky View Post
    That actually sounds really appealing to me -- I think what I like most about Malle's Angeliques Sous la Pluie is the very gin-ny opening. Looks like it's discontinued, though?

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123128.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    Working as a pharmacy tech in my past and reading some of the literature, its more along the lines of not wanting you to die and have your family sue them because of the interactions and multiplicative factor of alcohol on some medications :-p
    Ohhh but speed and alcohol go so great together. Like Love and Marriage (divorce rates are above 50% now, infidelity above 60%).

I never thought about this. I'm not a big drinker. I like alcohol for the taste and after you are drunk, a Budweiser and a Chimay may taste the same, or Kettle One and Popov lose distinction.

Cheers,
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydg View Post
    Interesting that Courvoisier and Bombay Sapphire have fragrances out. The Bombay Sapphire fragrance is supposed to actually smell like a gin martini!
    As do Frapin and Ginestet...

I don't think I've bothered to consider my beverage when selecting a scent, or vice versa but maybe I should give it a try. I'm probably more likely to indulge in one too many spritzes if I've had a few though.

Default Re: Affects of Intoxication...

Quote Originally Posted by mcjra View Post
    ...and I would agree

I've found something really pleasant is something sweet and spicy on the back of your hand while drinking a scotch or whiskey. For example, some The Glenlivet with Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere (I only have a sample of that, but I think I'll have to get more ), or Lagavulin with Frapin Caravelle Epicée.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 24th March 2009 at 10:22 AM.

Though I thoroughly enjoy it, I think drinking dumbs down your senses.

The other day, however, I shared a joint or two with a friend and we had quite a time in the local sephora. I rediscovered fragrances I never thought twice about, and found new notes in old favorites. The mental images were dazzling.

I mean we all find our fragrances pretty much intoxicating in the selves as is. which is why we spend so much of our time on here ;o) (grin!) ... But I must admit while actually intoxicated (with the non-alcoholic variety) ... scent and perfume becomes almost orgasmic for me. I discover in them so many different facets and nuances I had totally missed before. Also I find, I'm much more able to recognise all the different notes and components much, much better. It's almost like all of a sudden I have my own personal "map" of that fragrance. It's just totally awesome !