Code of Conduct

Default Searching for a Lavender..

Hello all,

I am in search of a good lavender fragrance and was hoping for some recommendations from the fabulous community here. Unfortunately I am located in the middle of nowhere and the closest Sephora or similar store is a four hour round trip, so I often make blind purchases. I have been in search of a good lavender for a while and have only tried Art of Shaving Lavender and Royal Scottish Lavender by Creed. What other products should I try/buy? I was considering Antidote by Viktor and Rolf due to the "mutant lavender" term associated with it.

Thanks for looking!
    - Will

Default Re: Searching for a Lavender..

★ Czech & Speake's Oxford & Cambridge is a clean and mossy lavender.

★ Caron Pour Un Homme for an ambery lavender with a vanilla touch.

Ditto Le Critique de parfum, both are worth sampling & even loving.

Here are my suggestions:
    Serge Lutens Gris Clair or Encens et Lavande
    Tauer Perfumes Reverie au Jardin
    Last edited by cusut; 22nd April 2009 at 04:34 PM.

Good recs so far. I will add:

Caldey Island Lavender -true Lavender
    Bois du Portugal -Smokey Lavender with Incense and Wood

A good place to "try before you buy" is:

www.theperfumedcourt.com

Sur la Plage

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours
    L'Occitane Eau de L'Occitan
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Off-Scenter

Among lavender-dominant fragrances I have yet to find anything to beat (maybe even match) Caron pour un Homme. The central lavender and vanilla accord gains a subtle depth from a very light touch of civet - much less than in Jicky - that really makes the scent. It has the advantage of being available very cheaply online, which makes it a pretty safe blind buy if you like lavender.

Penhaligon's Lavandula
    Dior Eau Noire

Parfums de Nicolai Nicolai Pour Homme is a very well done lavender that opens green and warms over several hours. I love it in moderate temps especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Le critique de parfum View Post
    ★ Czech & Speake's Oxford & Cambridge is a clean and mossy lavender.
    I wore it yesterday and liked it. FYI, C&S will send you a pack with samples their entire fragrance line just for registering at their website. Here's the link: http://www.czechandspeake.com/signup.asp

I'll have to try the Caldey Island Lavender... $19.50 for 50ml sounds like a great deal for "the best lavender soliflore on earth." Could be a worthy blind buy for me.

Agua Lavanda - Sinatra wore it!

Gendarme 20 a clear, light, etheral lavander.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjra View Post
    Gendarme 20 a clear, light, etheral lavander.
    +1 ^ Good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Agua Lavanda - Sinatra wore it!
    +1 for this one. One of my all time favorites, and one of the cheapest blind buys ever.

Thank you all for the suggestions, I am truly amazed at some of the prices on these suggestions and they appear to be exactly what I am looking for. If the 15 to 20 dollars per bottle prices that keep coming up in a search are legit, I may have to buy several different ones to see which one I like best.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Among lavender-dominant fragrances I have yet to find anything to beat (maybe even match) Caron pour un Homme. The central lavender and vanilla accord gains a subtle depth from a very light touch of civet - much less than in Jicky - that really makes the scent. It has the advantage of being available very cheaply online, which makes it a pretty safe blind buy if you like lavender.

Serious Dittos from me. I have a fairly extensive wardrobe and find myself going back to PuH, thinking it may be for me at least, one of the all time best all timers.

Another basic, can't-fail lavender is Crabtree & Evelyn's Lavender Water. Very refreshing and true to form.
    Czech&Speake Oxford and Cambridge - very nice, herbal-cool lavender
    L'Occitan by L'Occitane en Provence - powerful smoky lavender
    You might see if you can sample Antihero by Etat Libre D'Orange. A powerful and focused lavender.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I think it would be prudent to narrow down what in the lavender you are looking for, for instance:
    1. sharp herbal bite
    2. clean astringent cleanness
    3. sweet floral powder
    4. resin-heavy edge

Lavender-dominated scents vary wildly in the way that the lavender is supported. I tend to find that, to my tastes, the less expensive renderings have been more satisfying when I am in the mood for a lavender experience. It is not a costly note and there are many fine formulations that are very reasonably priced.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Agua de Lavanda Puig - beware, the regular one, not the body splash version easily available in the US. Plus, Agua de Lavanda Puig soaps.

Quote Originally Posted by richard d View Post
    Serious Dittos from me. I have a fairly extensive wardrobe and find myself going back to PuH, thinking it may be for me at least, one of the all time best all timers.
    Great to see Pour un Homme getting some love on basenotes. Lots of people seem to dislike it quite a bit.

Caldey Island Lavender is nice, but the lavender is too soft and creamy for my taste. I prefer some bite in lavender.

I'm relatively inexperienced with lavender, but for a bold, medicinal lavender I'll second Oxford & Cambridge.

Probably my favorite fragrance with a large lavender note is PdE's Fougere Bengale, an interestingly curried take on the classic men's fougere theme.

Gris Clair is my favorite lavender. I think Oxford and Cambridge is very nice if you want something more normal and refreshing. I think I'm the only person on here who really dislikes Caron Pour un Homme, but I can't stand it. I like Fourgre Bengale, but I really don't think of it has being a lavender-dominated scent.

Gris Clair and Basala. Lavender opening plus a very complex drydown for the latter. Think Feminite du Bois + Lavender - the sweet part
    Last edited by cpk; 22nd April 2009 at 09:41 PM.

Pour un Homme de Caron
    Pour un Homme de Caron
    Pour un Homme de Caron
    .....and Jicky
    .... and Mouchoir de Monsieur
    .... and Nicolai pour Homme!!!

Banned

A fairly bold yet clean lavender (that isn't very expensive) is Etat Libre d'Orange Antiheros. I think Turin describes it as smelling like lavender soap, not just lavender itself. This is part of the little weirdness that Etat Libre presents in its fragrances, but in this case it's not so weird that it's unwearable like some others from the house. I've sort of lost interest in lavender, but were I to buy another this is the one I'd buy.

As many have pointed out, you can't go wrong with Caron Pour un Homme. Also, L'Occitane has a good lavender line.

Caron Pour un Homme without a doubt. It was too much lavender and vanilla for me.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio