Code of Conduct

Default Royal Water v. Green Irish Tweed

I'm in the market for a new addition to my collection. After clearing some unwanted things out as well as scoring big after discovering I gave Uncle Sam too much money this year, I have decided that I am going to buy another Creed to add to my collection for this summer.

After BdP, my next two favorites are Royal Water and Green Irish Tweed. I've heard that both are fantastic summer scents and thanks to a friend, I have acquired samples of both. I have them right out in front of me and I've been sniffing much to my wife's humor.

Now, I've never been one for citruses, but Royal Water has a kind of accord that I like. To me, its style is a lot like the lovely Acqua di Parma, a scent which I find very nostalgic. I remember reading on someone's review of RW that "it smells like diamonds." I can certainly see that. It has a bright effervescence that is definitely in line with the woman it was created in honor for - the late Diana Spencer.

Green Irish Tweed, albeit over analyzed and over critiqued, is a very comfortable scent for me. Like mashed potatoes and gravy or pot roast with carrots, GIT is the olfactory equivalent of comfort food. Although it is over worn to some extent, I guess most classics are. I can definitely see the versatility of this scent.

Which brings me to my conundrum: which one should I choose keeping in mind wearability, versatility longevity, etc., ? It should be noted that most of my Creeds are worn for special occasions and Sundays, when I'm usually at church and spending the day with friends and family over Sunday supper.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Default Re: Royal Water v. Green Irish Tweed

I have samples of GIT and RW and frankly, I chose to buy the GIT.

GIT for me, is as you say comforting- and while yes, its overworn, that doesnt detract from its beauty. I find that with GIT there is an odd, translucence to the frag I find that to be very distinct from anything else.

RW is nice- citric in a good way, a high class citrus if you will. But thats it, no where near as magical as GIT.
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should certainly go with GIT... it is far more complex and versatile than RW. In my experience GIT ranks higher in longevity, silage and projection and it's hard to go wrong with it.

That said, I think GIT is suitable for all seasons.. some may disagree, but RW is definitely going to be a summer fragrance for me. I think you'll get much more use from GIT. It's comfortable, easy to wear and garners flattering compliments I might add.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally dont like GiT and am pretty much stuck on BdP such a magical scent it is
    if you decide to buy GiT let me know
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    I personally dont like GiT and am pretty much stuck on BdP such a magical scent it is
    if you decide to buy GiT let me know
    I love BdP. But quite honestly, I don't think I wear it very well. I come across as a disciplinarian. So it is great when I wear it on Mondays to class (I teach at an inner city high school).
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

GIT all the way. Wins in the longevity, versatility, non-offensive categories. I also find RW a little feminine, but that's a subjective thing. If you want to know which one you like more, e-nee-minee-moe both of them. Then pretend you're gonna buy the one you land on. If you find yourself wishing for the other one, that's the one.

Post Thanks / Like

GIT is at least a 3- and, on some people, a 4-season fragrance with good complexity, decent silage, and fairly good longevity. It's as comfortable as (duh) a well-worn Irish tweed.

RW makes a nice summer frag with a pleasant close-in silage. Unfortunately I find that it lasts but a moment, leaving only pale sweetness.

I find GIT to be absolutely horrendous. Sprayed it once on my leg (near the ankle) and I still had to deal with a chokingly bad experience. It's definitely a sample first frag, if you have never tried it before. I like Royal Water's simplicity, on the other hand. I have found, however, that Costes is similar and a bit more complex, so that's the one that's a "keeper" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    GIT is at least a 3- and, on some people, a 4-season fragrance with good complexity, decent silage, and fairly good longevity. It's as comfortable as (duh) a well-worn Irish tweed.

RW makes a nice summer frag with a pleasant close-in silage. Unfortunately I find that it lasts but a moment, leaving only pale sweetness.
    I did notice that. I put RW on my arm and had my wife sniff it a few hours later. She rolled her eyes (yeah, it is my addiction babydoll. Sorry) and sniffed. "Smells like...foundation powder." I'll have to wear a spritz maybe while working out just to get its aura.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    GIT all the way. Wins in the longevity, versatility, non-offensive categories. I also find RW a little feminine, but that's a subjective thing. If you want to know which one you like more, e-nee-minee-moe both of them. Then pretend you're gonna buy the one you land on. If you find yourself wishing for the other one, that's the one.
    Then I guess I'm goin' for the Tweed.

Post Thanks / Like

GIT for me too.

Royal Water comes off to feminine on me, and the longevity is poor.

That classic GIT dry down will always have a place in my collection.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

your wardrobe is tastefully small, and masculine. green irish tweed would be an excellent addition.

I own GIT and don't really see what's all the fuss is about, it's ok but not $100 + worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    I own GIT and don't really see what's all the fuss is about, it's ok but not $100 + worth.
    I agree. Green Irish Tweed is probably a $70 scent. If you can find a tester or something for around that price, I suggest you snatch it up. Royal Water is probably a $50 scent, but I wouldn't buy it at that price. I find it too floral and lemony, a bit feminine.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

I Love both.....GIT is the best for me....Gary

Post Thanks / Like

The Royal Water I sampled in a store smelled like a good unisex scent to me. The one that I bought and received over the internet was very slightly different, but it smelled more feminine to me - so I gave it to my wife.

I doubt that can ever happen with Green Irish Tweed.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    The Royal Water I sampled in a store smelled like a good unisex scent to me. The one that I bought and received over the internet was very slightly different, but it smelled more feminine to me - so I gave it to my wife.

I doubt that can ever happen with Green Irish Tweed.
    Renato
    Yeah. My wife had mixed feelings about Royal Water. "I just cannot connect this with Princess Diana," she told me. She thought it smelled way more masculine. In fact she compared it to Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's.

Post Thanks / Like

Of all the Creeds I've tried, I had the smallest reaction to Royal Water. It has the least to say out of all the Creeds, imo.

It's not a bad scent by any means, but it doesn't have as much personality as the others.

In the citrus/herbal/aquatic department, I gave the job to Hugh Parsons Traditional.

So GIT all the way.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Post Thanks / Like

GIT is considered a classic for a reason, it's great, it lasts long, it's very versatile.

You've already made your decision, I just wanted to add my thoughts

RW is nice, but AdP would be a cheaper and better alternative if you're looking for a good cologne.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    Yeah. My wife had mixed feelings about Royal Water. "I just cannot connect this with Princess Diana," she told me. She thought it smelled way more masculine. In fact she compared it to Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's.
    Funny that you should mention Blenheim's Bouquet in connection with your wife. It's the only scent my wife has ever asked me not to wear around her.

I don't know if you caught my "Cat Loves Creed Royal Water" thread of a year or so ago, but whenever my wife wears it, her cat becomes intoxicated with her.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

I see you've made up your mind, but I figured i'd add my .02. I remember liking Royal Water when I sampled it, and not really understanding all the talk about it being too feminine, it wasn't any more feminine than any other citrus-aquatic out there (Acqua di Gio, I'm looking at you), but other than that I don't remember much and can't recommend it based on that little time with it. GIT on the other hand, you can't go wrong with. Absolutely versatile in every situation/season, great smell, longevity, attention-getter..... And to those that say that it isn't worth the price. Price is subjective, perhaps it isn't worth it to you, but to others it is. GIT is no different in worth than most of the other Creeds in my opinion, they are overpriced, but not by 150.00, the 4 oz at 150-175 would be perfect, and thats why it's good to buy from reputable discounters. With Creed you are paying for noticible quality. Good choice on the GIT man!

Yeah, seems you've decided, but I'll pitch in as well:

Go for GIT as long as you've tested it well on your skin. For me the musky/ambergris note that kind of comes to the fore in the first few hours goes incredibly foul on my skin. It's a beautiful scent if it doesn't do that to you.
    Last edited by paulj; 24th March 2009 at 05:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My vote says go for GIT I really like it as well and can be used all year round as well

Post Thanks / Like

They're both excellent, but I didn't get the longevity out of Royal Water that I did with GIT.

Now GIT is one of my favourite scents.

Post Thanks / Like

Good choice Texican.
    GIT is the best versatile fresh/floral/citrus/woods available imo.

Post Thanks / Like

I have GIT and really enjoy it, but it seems like more of a cooler weather fragrance. Once the opening tang wears off, it's a fairly dark, rich experience. More enjoyable than RW, though.

Have you tried Erolfa ?

BTW, I got an authentic GIT bottle from Scentiments.
    Last edited by adonis; 25th March 2009 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I have GIT and really enjoy it, but it seems like more of a cooler weather fragrance. Once the opening tang wears off, it's a fairly dark, rich experience. More enjoyable than RW, though.

Have you tried Erolfa ?

BTW, I got an authentic GIT bottle from Scentiments.
    I've tried Erolfa, and I really like it. Just can't think of anywhere I'd wear it. That and compared to GIT, doesn't last that long on me.

In the future, I plan on either getting a 1 oz of it or a healthy decant. My wife does love Erolfa. For some odd reason she cannot stand Silver Mountain Water. Anytime I wear it she'll sniff the air, wrinkle her nose, and say, "Are you wearing that stinky Creed again?!" That right there is repellent for her.