Code of Conduct

Exclamation Fake Le Male found at local flea market (photos enclosed)

Well, yesterday, I was at a local flea market here in Fort Wayne looking for bargains and old treasures. Not for fragrances, mind you, but in other things.

There, I saw a booth selling fragrances... $30 each, and discounts for volume purchases. In addition to designer imposters like "Essey Miyami", "Aquatic Pour Homme", and such, there were scents like Angel, Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue (men's and women's), several Creeds, and Le Male. Curious to see if the fragrances were real or not, I asked to take a look at the Le Male can, choosing the scent because it's a top 15 scent in both the US and European markets. The owner said "sure", and I snapped a few photos with my trusty BlackBerry Storm (which has a surprisingly good camera for a smartphone).

To be kind to him, I didn't tell him the news, but I needed to tell all of you on Basenotes the truth: It was a fake. Take a look at these pictures:

Front of can:

Bottom of can:

Looks convincing to the untrained eye.

Back of can:

UPDATE: My original hints were wrong. Look at reply #7 for more information.

I have taken appropriate action: Although I contacted Beaute Prestige International USA (both corporate in NYC and the local rep), I have not got a response back yet. I'll keep you all posted as the story unfolds.

Still, I never thought that I'd see counterfeit stink water in my own backyard...
    Last edited by MFfan310; 25th March 2009 at 02:58 PM.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Fake Le Male found at local flea market (photos enclosed)

I've seen a ton of these selling on ebay recently, with no cap or canister. They often start at 99 cents with free shipping. There's a good video on fake frags here:

http://www.perfume.com.au/shop/fake-perfume-a11.html

That's very scary. One of the reasons I never buy from anywhere that's not a huge commercial chain or very well known. Kinda sucks for independent perfume shops but the fakes these days are so well made it's just not worth the risk.

MFfan, I'm sure the guy sellings those knows they're fake... I mean he seems to have quite the repertoire of fake stuff, and if, SOMEHOW, he thinks his Green FRICH tweed is good stuff, he's missing out on a world of difference! Either a poor sap or man with sad values.
    Sales thread here

Basenotes Plus

I brought this up over a year ago. The website address was wrong. Soon after they started selling these at reduced prices as Le Male Blue and other such variations. So many fakes have flooded the market, mostly from China according to industry experts.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    That's very scary. One of the reasons I never buy from anywhere that's not a huge commercial chain or very well known.
    This is why I only buy my designer fragrances from three types of sources:

• National or regional department stores that deal directly with the manufacturer (Macy's, Saks, Nordstrom, and Von Maur being the ones I frequent most, on and offline)
    • National dedicated cosmetics/fragrance retailers (Sephora and Ulta, obviously)
    • National brick-and-mortar overstock discounters (TJ Maxx/Marshalls)

Anything else is too scary for me. Especially after this incident...
    Top 5 for Winter:
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Btw, great post on the fake le male, MFfan310. The more threads on counterfeit fragrance the better. Good job on the photos taken in front of the seller too. You must be a blackberry camera ninja or a smooth talker . What did you say to the guy to let you take all those pics? "Hey, do you mind if I take a few shots of this for the kids back home?" lol
    Sales thread here

UPDATE:

I went to Macy's yesterday, took pictures of the fake, and compared the photos of the fake to the real juice sold there.

Turns out the real Le Male does have a hyphenated "Jean-Paul Gaultier" and unusual-looking barcode on the bottom of the tin can. But the similarities stop there. The real juice has a much stronger security seal, running the full length of the can (as opposed to bottom only on the fake), and the security seal is where the "Eau de Toilette" printing, ingredients, and www.jeanpaulgaultier.com web address are located. (The fake had the ingredients and "Eau de Toilette" printing on the can itself.)

Also, the bottom of the real Le Male had the wording embossed into the can, whereas the fake had a flat print.

As always, I will keep you posted with further updates.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

here's one pic that i found on a chinese auction site (similar to ebay)

i couldnt tell the smaller bottle in that pic is a print on the can, or just a comparison.
    umm..really dont know what inside that bottle, but the price they are selling is less than US$6
    so i guess whatever inside would be pretty scary...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi! I'm not sure but how would one you know it's a fake Le Male? I see many online or on ebay and ususally they start off pretty cheap. Often they're sold as testers with no cap or no box so that's why they're sold so cheap, or at least that's what the sellers say. I've actually seen the 4.2 oz testers sell anywhere from $15-$35 free shipping. I even went as far as to contact the buyers of these testers and they all say it's 100% authentic. Could that be? Really makes me wonder, you know?
    Last edited by jcastano; 8th December 2009 at 12:01 AM.

I tried purchasing one of those testers with no can because I was able to get it for under $20 + free shipping and there was a 7 day return policy. Unfortunately it was a fake. The bottle looks exactly like the original. The scent is similar, but has a strong alcohol smell when first sprayed that the real one does not. Plus the scent is not as rich or strong and doesn't last for nearly as long. When I contacted the seller, which happened to be after the 7 day period they gave for returns, they told me to just throw out the bottle and immediately refunded my money. They also begged me not to give them a bad review. The seller knows he is selling fakes and doesn't want his business to be ruined by someone with a trained nose. Around that same time I also bought Burberry London and Issey Miake l'eau d'issey, which both turned out to be fakes. They were actually packaged, but both bottles looked suspicious because the l'eau d'issey had chips in it and a weird mark on the cap and the London's fabric covering was not uniform and stitched improperly. From a designer like Burberry this would never happen. Without question, both did not smell correctly. Looking back, I realize that I was stupid to try to buy such popular bottles from ebay. Clearly the best sellers and most expensive bottles are the ones that counterfeiters are going to attempt to replicate. The advice I would give to people is to not buy a best seller from online. There are certain things that can probably be bought online safely, but something like le male will definitely not be on that list.

I used to buy from independent stores like these.....not anymore.....I want to be sure I'm purchasing the real thing.....No bargain is worth getting a fake.....Gary

Man now I'm not sure if mine is fake or not. I got it from a swap. I wish I could get more information on what to look for as far as what the actual bottle is supposed to be like.

Edit: Mine isn't a fake; it smells too good. And even if it was...well hell who cares it smells great.
    Last edited by RyanT; 16th July 2010 at 02:16 AM.

I'll never understand why people buy scents at places like this. Especially for a scent like Le Male that can be found pretty much anywhere. There are plenty of department stores and several reputable places online where you can easily acquire this... Granted, I'm sure it will cost more, but aren't those extra few bucks worth some peace of mind??

If it were some rare discontinued scent, I could understand taking a shot, but not in this case...
    Last edited by KMF; 16th July 2010 at 02:24 AM.

OMG, the world is a dangerous place right now. That's why I try to buy my fragrances from Amazon.com only (ship and sold directly from Amazon) cuz regardless of what ever happen, I always can bitch and get a refund without going through shit like arguing or returning.

I will throw my hat in here as another who has been duped into buying fake "testers" on eBay. I ran out of Tom Ford and Prada ApH and purchased each bottle from a different seller. The bottles were HORRIBLE copies, the glass was wavy and poor quality and the Prada bottle had an extremely cheap looking metal label, like a tin foil version of the real metal Prada label. The TF bottle was better, but the label was not. The scent in each one would last about six and a half seconds before vanishing. No thanks, after that I only buy from trusted stores.

anyone know if the Tom Ford Private collection have been faked yet? I don't see too many around on ebay but now that I just ordered one I'm starting to sweat a little...
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Refer to the quote #1 and quote #7
    One of my close relative brought for me JPG (Le Male) 125ml EDT.

The photo enclosed (3 photos by quote #1) has similarity with my Le Male (The celophane pack, the Can and also the bottom of Can barcodes. But the photo showing 4.0 FL oz and 100ml. Differece is Le Male I have has written 4.2 FL.OZ 125ml.

After reviewing quote #7, I noticed that the Le Male I have, has Ingredients written on the Opening side --- a stich type (written from bottom to top of the Can vertically). There is also the main bottle photo on the Can(featuring what type of bottle inside) and also under that it is written www.jeanpaulgaultier.com.

Inside the Can, on the upper back of the "male torso" bottle embosed with "GAULTIER"
    There are matching serial numbers on both Can and Bottle. The bottom side has a stand also which holds the bottle and on the bottom of the stand,it is embosed with Jean Paul GAULTIER (here GAULTIER written/marked slanted).

I haven't used that one just 5/6 sprays. And Noticed, it lasts for 6 to 8 hours. 24 hours later,after wearing the T-Shirt (I wanted to test the lasting hours that's why I didn't washed the T-shirt), I noticed the trail/remaining essence/last note (something like powdery vanilla) and the trail catches my nose.

Kindly Let me know whether my Jean Paul Gaultier "Le Male" is genuine or not. Otherwise I will order for another one.

Thanking you in advance for reading this.
    Last edited by pappusa; 19th July 2010 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    UPDATE:

I went to Macy's yesterday, took pictures of the fake, and compared the photos of the fake to the real juice sold there.

Turns out the real Le Male does have a hyphenated "Jean-Paul Gaultier" and unusual-looking barcode on the bottom of the tin can. But the similarities stop there. The real juice has a much stronger security seal, running the full length of the can (as opposed to bottom only on the fake), and the security seal is where the "Eau de Toilette" printing, ingredients, and www.jeanpaulgaultier.com web address are located. (The fake had the ingredients and "Eau de Toilette" printing on the can itself.)

Also, the bottom of the real Le Male had the wording embossed into the can, whereas the fake had a flat print.

As always, I will keep you posted with further updates.
    How sure are you about the hyphentated "jean-paul" on the bottom of the can? Here is a picture of the cans from the two bottles I own

The can on the LEFT was bought at an outlet mall's fragrance outlet in my town, the can on the RIGHT was bought off ebay from a seller who has sold me SEVERAL genuine bottles already. I don't think either of these are fake.

http://picsend.net/images/8993671109002101.jpg

The main thing I notice from my picture compared to yours is the hyphen between Jean and Paul is not there on either of mine. Also, the font size on the bar code in your picture randomly becomes larger on the second part.

I also dont believe it should say all that weird stuff in french underneath the barcode...

Bryann1982, take a look at my thread on here about fakes, my tin actually looks like the one above but has been deemed genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by DanD1255 View Post
    Bryann1982, take a look at my thread on here about fakes, my tin actually looks like the one above but has been deemed genuine.
    hmmm. I'm hoping they just updated the packaging then. I just sent a youtube message to a popular youtube fragrance reviewer (robes08) who happens to have a few genuine bottles of le male. I asked him if he could verify if my tin's look the same as his, although im starting to think he may have older bottles since he mentioned in a review that it was the 1st fragrance he ever bought. Both of my bottles have GAULTIER engraved on the back of both bottles too, so im not too worried. Just found it odd that some peoples are different.

Only reason I was concerned at first was because I've heard this stuff was supposed to last anywhere from 16-24 hours, and I only get ~6 hours
    Last edited by Bryann9182; 10th November 2010 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryann9182 View Post
    hmmm. I'm hoping they just updated the packaging then. I just sent a youtube message to a popular youtube fragrance reviewer (robes08) who happens to have a few genuine bottles of le male. I asked him if he could verify if my tin's look the same as his, although im starting to think he may have older bottles since he mentioned in a review that it was the 1st fragrance he ever bought. Both of my bottles have GAULTIER engraved on the back of both bottles too, so im not too worried. Just found it odd that some peoples are different.

Only reason I was concerned at first was because I've heard this stuff was supposed to last anywhere from 16-24 hours, and I only get ~6 hours
    Here is my thread:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/264...hotos-included

Can anyone confirm they have a tin with the same bottom as mine?

Quote Originally Posted by DanD1255 View Post
    Here is my thread:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/264...hotos-included

Can anyone confirm they have a tin with the same bottom as mine?
    ok, now i'm confused. the bottom of your tin looks the same as the one in the pictures posted by MFfan, but he's saying its a fake, yet everyone in your thread is saying yours is legit. lol wtf

Very strange, maybe they have updated the packaging?

Let's hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by pappusa View Post
    Refer to the quote #1 and quote #7
    One of my close relative brought for me JPG (Le Male) 125ml EDT.

The photo enclosed (3 photos by quote #1) has similarity with my Le Male (The celophane pack, the Can and also the bottom of Can barcodes. But the photo showing 4.0 FL oz and 100ml. Differece is Le Male I have has written 4.2 FL.OZ 125ml.

After reviewing quote #7, I noticed that the Le Male I have, has Ingredients written on the Opening side --- a stich type (written from bottom to top of the Can vertically). There is also the main bottle photo on the Can(featuring what type of bottle inside) and also under that it is written www.jeanpaulgaultier.com.

Inside the Can, on the upper back of the "male torso" bottle embosed with "GAULTIER"
    There are matching serial numbers on both Can and Bottle. The bottom side has a stand also which holds the bottle and on the bottom of the stand,it is embosed with Jean Paul GAULTIER (here GAULTIER written/marked slanted).

I haven't used that one just 5/6 sprays. And Noticed, it lasts for 6 to 8 hours. 24 hours later,after wearing the T-Shirt (I wanted to test the lasting hours that's why I didn't washed the T-shirt), I noticed the trail/remaining essence/last note (something like powdery vanilla) and the trail catches my nose.

Kindly Let me know whether my Jean Paul Gaultier "Le Male" is genuine or not. Otherwise I will order for another one.

Thanking you in advance for reading this.
    Exactly same happened to me I also have the bottle bought from reputed departmental stores and everything as described by you. The cellophane cover the serial matches both on bottle as well as on can. But still the smell is not long lasting as described by other user.
    The scent last for 5-6 hours and the projection lacks as opposed to real juice. Please help can this be fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryann9182 View Post

My bottle seems real to me only thing I am concerned about is I only get 5-6 hours max also it fails in projection department miserably. Any help could it be fake wrapped in real bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    There are plenty of department stores and several reputable places online where you can easily acquire this... Granted, I'm sure it will cost more, but aren't those extra few bucks worth some peace of mind??

If it were some rare discontinued scent, I could understand taking a shot, but not in this case...
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    i brought this up over a year ago. The website address was wrong. Soon after they started selling these at reduced prices as le male blue and other such variations. So many fakes have flooded the market, mostly from china according to industry experts.
    **vomit!!!**