Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which of these 2 would you most like to see advance?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guerlain Vetiver

60 50.00%
  • Czech & Speake No. 88

60 50.00%
    Blog Entries

Default BMM09: 3/24 Game 60 (Guerlain Vetiver vs. C&S No. 88)

Basenotes March Madness 2009
    Game 60
    (Round 4)
    Poll ends March 25.

(5) Guerlain Vetiver vs. (7) Czech & Speake No. 88

Here's the updated bracket after the first 59 games:

Remember to only vote for one of the two. If you want both to advance, too bad; voting for both is statistically the same as not voting at all, so quit being so indecisive.

Poll will close in 24 hours.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Default Re: BMM09: 3/24 Game 60 (Guerlain Vetiver vs. C&S No. 88)

Let's see if we can make it 3 Guerlains in the Fragrant Four.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Where's the "Neither" check-box option?

No. 88... Nothing against the Guerlain, but No. 88 is such a charmer.

No. 88 blows GV away...easily!

Am loving the result so far....C&S 88 is leading by almost 3:1.......keep up the good work :-)

I don't get it with #88. It's an okay rose based fragrance but is not exceptional I don't think.

I went with Vetiver because it remains a great fragrance with a fantastic evolution. In the last couple of days on the run up to this match up I wore both at various times on the back of one hand so I could be sure I'd go with the right one in the vote. The Guerlain has a far more interesting journey, whereas the C&S ends up smelling soft and like other rose colognes and doesn't last as long. I do like it and recognise it as a good fragrance, but the Guerlain has more to say.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 24th March 2009 at 09:17 AM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Both these fragrances were hard to "get" and like for my newbie nose when I first tried them a year ago.

Now I adore No 88, while Vetiver is unwearable to me. I can see it is a fantastic fragrance but not for me.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

It's got to be Vetiver. I'm bitter about GIT losing. Green has to stand united.

I totally respect G. Vetiver but would never wear it myself. No 88 is in my top 3.

Easy choice.

Come on 88.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

This is easy. 88, 88, 88, 88...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I voted for GV because it would guarantee a Guerlain in the finals.

Honestly, the final four should be entirely Guerlains, but that is another story...

(just kidding!)

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I don't get it with #88. It's an okay rose based fragrance but is not exceptional I don't think.

I went with Vetiver because it remains a great fragrance with a fantastic evolution. In the last couple of days on the run up to this match up I wore both at various times on the back of one hand so I could be sure I'd go with the right one in the vote. The Guerlain has a far more interesting journey, whereas the C&S ends up smelling soft and like other rose colognes and doesn't last as long. I do like it and recognise it as a good fragrance, but the Guerlain has more to say.
    Couldn't agree more.

No 88 came out of the box fast but is fading quickly (just like in real life).
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    No 88 came out of the box fast but is fading quickly (just like in real life).
    I've found that as well. It gets past the top notes, you enjoy the rose for a while and then it seems to have a really short half-life. It's nice but brief, which is one of the reasons I went with GV.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Couldn't agree more.
    Couldn't agree less, but that is part of what makes this hobby so interesting. We look at the same fragrances and come away with altogether different perspectives. On me, No.88 lasts 12-15 hours and is immensely more interesting than Guerlain Vetiver.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Hard to vote against either of these. GV is a classic, wonderful fragrance but I had to go with 88 as I just want to wear it more often. I won't mind if GV wins at all though.
    88 fades fast? - Not on your nelly!
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I'm sorry, I just have to vote for one of my new favorites, GV all the way!!!

No 88 fades fast ?

Guys you have to try the spray one instead of these "ugly" little vial samples.

No 88 has simply an amazing longevity. I have a dry skin and still smell very distinctly the smell of no 88 when i wake up next morning.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

never tried 88, so my votes for Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    No 88 fades fast ?

Guys you have to try the spray one instead of these "ugly" little vial samples.

No 88 has simply an amazing longevity. I have a dry skin and still smell very distinctly the smell of no 88 when i wake up next morning.

I have.

Honnestly it does really surprise me.

No 88 is very well known for its amazing longevity.

It is by the way totally the case on my dry skin on which fragrances last sometimes one hour...
    88 can last up to 24 hours, i can still detect it that long after application.

Maybe some note you simply don t smell ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    Honnestly it does really surprise me.

No 88 is very well known for its amazing longevity.

It is by the way totally the case on my dry skin on which fragrances last sometimes one hour...
    88 can last up to 24 hours, i can still detect it that long after application.

Maybe some note you simply don t smell ?

I'll put my hands up and admit that maybe it's just my skin!

I don't think asnosmia can be blamed though since I am particuarly sensitive to rose fragrances (maybe why I love them so much).

I like #88, I really do, but don't think it's that amazing really. Rose 31 I would have anyday in preference to it.

I voted for 88 even though I could more easily wear GV.. C&S 88 makes GV seem generic and dull, but I don't wear either of them.

I don't think asnosmia can be blamed though since I am particuarly sensitive to rose fragrances (maybe why I love them so much).

I like #88, I really do, but don't think it's that amazing really. Rose 31 I would have anyday in preference to it.
    Yeah I see what you mean. Of course i totally respect the fact that you prefer other fragrances etc, that s the beauty, we all have our own tastes. I have hence not expressed any opinion about this.

Was just saying that I would definitely not say that "he fades quickly", whether you like or not

Then there's me, I traded my Rose 31 for a backup bottle of No.88!

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

No.88 FTW
    -

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post

Then there is also me

I've got 2 bottles each of Rose 31 & No. 88...

Until I bought C&S 88, Rose 31 was my top rose but then everything changed

Blog Entries

Well, looks like my Fragrant Four predictions were a whopping 0 for 4. :\
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Blog Entries

I'm not happy that Guerlain Vetiver is probably going to lose to No 88. Guerlain Vetiver is a masterpiece, imo, and No 88 is not. I like No 88, but there are other rose scents I like better-- Paris, Red Roses, and Sa Majesté la Rose are all preferred by me. I've also just sampled C&S's newly re-released Dark Rose and love it! Guerlain Vetiver stands alone, however, and has been a benchmark for almost 50 years. I think it deserves to win. Alas.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    Well, looks like my Fragrant Four predictions were a whopping 0 for 4. :\
    I've done only slightly better.

I do think whichever wins this match-up will be the overall winner.

I think Habit Rouge will take a pasting against either #88 or Vetiver.

Out of the other side of the draw, I can't see MdM beating Ambre Sultan. MdM is either too unknown to too many people or people will dislike the civet in it and prefer the warmth and depth of AS.

I am surprised by the strength of support for #88 which is good, but really in the scale of things is not THAT good. It's a quality fragrance yes, and I like Rose based fragrances.

What I think is that it is riding the crest of a wave of support at the moment, and people are bandwagon jumping. Yes, that is speculation, but honestly I don't think/believe that it is better than GV.

If we end up with a #88 vs AS final, I think #88 will win. And pushed, between the two I would probably vote #88, simply because I love rose notes more than Amber.

But then if it were GV v AS I would also vote GV.

In the AS v MdM match up I will go AS I think.

My reasoning being that of the final four my preference is:

1. GV
    3. AS
    4. MdM

If any of that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post

Now that I find amazing. The first time I wore Rose 31 I was addicted to it. Totally. It is hypnotic in its delight as a fragrance.

The first time I wore #88 I was like "ok so what's all the fuss about?",

I like it, don't get me wrong, but just don't think it's all that.

Blog Entries

GV looks to be mounting a late offensive, they've cut an 11 point lead down to 3. Did we call it too soon?
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Now that I find amazing. The first time I wore Rose 31 I was addicted to it. Totally. It is hypnotic in its delight as a fragrance.

The first time I wore #88 I was like "ok so what's all the fuss about?",

I like it, don't get me wrong, but just don't think it's all that.
    It sounds like we may be scent-opposites, at least we are when it comes to rose scents.

Your post, with slight modifications, describes my feelings exactly:

"Now that I find amazing. The first time I wore Rose 31 No.88 I was addicted to it. Totally. It is hypnotic in its delight as a fragrance.

The first time I wore #88 Rose 31 I was like "ok so what's all the fuss about?",

I like it, don't get me wrong, but just don't think it's all that."

We could be useful to each other. We'll have to see if it applies to other categories of scents. In the meantime, if I like a rose fragrance, run. I'll do the same with the roses you like.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    GV looks to be mounting a late offensive, they've cut an 11 point lead down to 3. Did we call it too soon?
    Yeah, this is another one that is heart-wrenchingly close.

Blog Entries

Down to 2, the No. 88 fans might need to keep the champagne on ice a little longer!
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

This matchup is falling prey to an "anti-Creed" like phenomena .. I suspect people who are deeply in love with their Shalimars, Mitsoukos and other Guerlain classics but dont care for Vetiver or rarely wear it are voting for the Guerlain name ..
    -

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Since my dog is no longer in the hunt (in fact, it's been taken out back and shot) I can be objective and non-partisan here. Verile manliness (at a reasonable price) versus a fecal sweet tart (at an unreasonable price). The choice seems pretty clear.

Yeah, that's right, punk - to me, No. 88 smells like sweet tarts and ass. And I'm not ashamed to admit I know what ass smells like.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Blog Entries

Go No. 88!!!!! Hold on to your lead for 2 more hours!
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Then there is also me

I've got 2 bottles each of Rose 31 & No. 88...

Until I bought C&S 88, Rose 31 was my top rose but then everything changed

Everything changed FOR THE BETTER!

There is only one rose No. 88 will lose to in my book, and that is Domenico Caraceni 1913.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Vote For No. 88, folks! Even if not for the gorgeous fragrance itself, vote for a small niche line that puts out high quality frags and sends free samples.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Vote the frag, not the brag! V-E-T-I-V-E-R!
    Last edited by kbe; 25th March 2009 at 01:42 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Funny that so many scents are chastized for being safe and boring, and here Guerlain Vetiver has nearly jumped into the lead. Gotta love irony.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I was torn with this vote, and ended up going with No.88 because I find it a bit more exciting and more wearable for a woman.

I was surprised that GV didn't close the lead sooner given that it is one of the top frags in the scent of the day statistics.

Vote for communism, vote for HAVAN....

Oh wait....

C&S 88 vs the acid grass assault? C&S 88 is so much more interesting.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Oh man, I think I just made a tie!

Blog Entries

Down to a 1 point lead with less than a half-hour to go! This is terribly exciting!

EDIT: All tied up!
    Last edited by bluesoul; 25th March 2009 at 02:49 AM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Ergh bluesoul! Whyyyyyy

Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Wow, all tied up!

Overtime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow - a tie! Cool. Not that No 88 winning wouldn't be COOLER, mind you...

I find vetiver, as much as I don't like it, better than No. 88.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Blog Entries

Overtime, baby! New thread going up in a bit!
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

These results actually make me sad.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    These results actually make me sad.
    It's just a game, dude.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sharkface View Post
    It's just a game, dude.
    It could be that some of us here take fragrance a little more seriously than others.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

There's not much difference between C&S No. 88 and Floris No. 89 is there? The neighbours on Jermyn Street. Both woody roses.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 25th March 2009 at 08:28 AM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    There's not much difference between C&S No. 88 and Floris No. 89 is there? The neighbours on Jermyn Street. Both woody roses.
    I have not tried Floris No. 89 but the reviews describe it as a light dignified fragrance.

C&S No. 88, on the other hand, is a darker slightly brooding scent. I love it!