Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation I took the Secretions Magnifique plunge

Well friends, I simply had to order a sample...all the fuss about this scent ('smells like death..not life,' 'pure bilge,' etc..), so I went to TPC and got an ml. And here are my impressions: Out of the vial, nothing offensive, in fact, a light floral. On a paper strip, still nothing nasty, but a little metallic. But on skin..egads, the stuff blooms (or rots?). It's a little nauseating, and I must admit, working in healthcare, very little nauseates me and I've seen and smelled a lot (use your imagination here). There's the metallic accord which I suppose is supposed to be blood, but it's not. I've smelled plenty of iron-y blood and this ain't it. This is a strip of something skanky-metallic. A new and unfamiliar scent. Then there's semen definitely. Lots of it. And it seems a bit perverse because it lies on a bed of white flowers (in the background). And I suppose I also get sweat, though it's not the clean sweat of someone who's just worked out and showers regularly. It's something more 'ominous' than that. Frankly, it's not as revolting as I expected, but it IS truly unwearable. I simply can't imagine anyone smelling good or even interesting wearing this. I must admit that is is weird and compelling as an olfactory 'experience.'
    Would anyone else like to chime in?
    PM me if you'd like a few drops to try. I can easily split my ml into two or three super mini samples. I really don't want to try any more than the drop I've already placed on my skin and am about to shower off!!

Update: 3 of you are now biting the SM bullet, so I'll be sharing a few drops with those 'lucky' (HA!) few. Sorry to disappoint, but there's always TPC!
    Last edited by lizzie_j; 25th March 2009 at 12:43 AM.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I took the Secretions Magnifique plunge

Why I love Basenotes: You never know what you're going to read. Members express themselves in fascinating ways. AND you also learn about fragrances (almost forgot to mention that).

Having just read your take on this crazy juice and then clicking on the link to see your mind-blowing art car, well, Liz, you've started my day with a real spark. Boundaries? What boundaries?

P.S.
    No desire to sample SM.

P.P.S
    Loving, magical wishes to all nurses.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Actually, after reading your description, I wonder if anyone actually *tasted* (not smelled) Secretions Magnifique.

Or is this a bit perverse?
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Post Thanks / Like

Kudos for you for trying it and giving us this very informed commentary. One day I'll bite the bullet and try my sample -- it will have to be a day I can have as a write-off. But what a learning experience.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I have a two month old test strip of it stuck in between the pages of a book and the smell is still going strong!
    They should re-name it Godzilla!

Post Thanks / Like

Usually when I see a lot of hyperbole about a fragrance (i.e. MKK), I've come to realize that one person makes an outrageous comment and then others pick up on it because that comment frames their experience. From there the 'worst ever...' perpetuates itself. Since many ELDO fragrances are given poor reviews (and lazy reviews that have little to do with the actual fragrance, IMO), I was prepared to discover that all the negative hype about SM was overblown.

I was wrong.

I also spent the $3 for a TPC sample (are they selling any to people who like the fragrance??). I put the tiniest dab on my hand, spread it around a little and nearly threw up. The stuff stuck to my hand and it took repeated washings with very hot water to get off. Lizzie is braver than I am, because I couldn't give it the time or stomach to try to analyze the notes. I actually think it would best be used as a prank on someone you don't like by spilling it in their car or something.

I do give it to ELDO - they've got balls for releasing an unwearable fragrance for the point of an artistic statement.

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to give it a try in london but your review made me rethink trying it on the skin while still having a full busy day ahead and meeting people. I do not want people to think I smell of fresh flowers and semen (especially not on a work trip).
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    I wanted to give it a try in london but your review made me rethink trying it on the skin while still having a full busy day ahead and meeting people. I do not want people to think I smell of fresh flowers and semen (especially not on a work trip).
    I don't think I want to smell like fresh flowers and semen under any circumstances.
    I also give props to anyone who has put this on their skin.
    I couldn't bring myself to do it after smelling it on a strip.
    The only silver lining to sniffing this is I have my baseline for most vile scent.
    The unfortunate side effect of this kind of talk is that I agree with bbBD that I think it bleeds over to other ELDO scents and they are discounted unfairly perhaps.
    I tried SM as my first ELDO and as i have tried others in the line I realize how good they can be.
    Unfortunately there is so much talk about SM that it is many people's first ELDO and you couldn't ask for a more different experience compared to the rest of the line.
    I know I sprayed Rossy de Palma on with a little trepidation as the first non-SM ELDO I tried.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Eeeeewwwwww, definitely no desire to sample this one...my hat's off to you lizzie, for the courage to bring that smell to your nose! (and for sharing your perceptions with us!)

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be the first to admit that ELDO's marketing is crass, and this is unfortunate because too often it seems to really impact the way people think about the fragrances (or make them not want to try them). I think the marketing is kinda goofy.... so what if my new Tom of Finland box has X rated homoerotic art on it? So what if the little gourmand Noel Au Balcon has a women undressing out of a corset (preferable to the TOF images, btw)? Still great fragrances... The funny thing is the nearly every fragrance marketing is trying to sell sex in some way (well, at least mainstream marketing)... but when ELDO just lays sex out there without being subtle, people reject it as crass. Americans are a weird bunch, I'll admit it....

Who hasn't seen the Secretions 'logo'?

Off-Scenter

What continually fascinates me about Sécrétions Magnifiques is how it manages to smell at once profoundly unpleasant and banal. If a fragrance is labeled with an ejaculating cartoon penis and smells revolting, couldn't it at least be exciting, too? Go figure...

Post Thanks / Like

Haven´t seen any logos but I smelled Putain des Palaces and Rien and I liked them both.

I think I´ll spray SM on a shop assistant instead of my own skin So I can smell it and walk away. I am curious about it though and I was fearful of what the rest of the house would smell but most of the reviews on basenotes say that the rest of it isn´t that shocking so I was prepared and pleasantly surprised.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You're a brave woman Lizzy_J,
    I myself am also wondering if I should
    take the plunge on this one, because in 10 days
    I'll be in NYC with access to Henri Bendels

Post Thanks / Like

In the spirit of adventure, I tried some on today before my bath. It's Pepto-bismol drooled into metallic sink... this really is just as grating as I remember it, though I'm getting more notes now. There's something rubbery about this fragrance too. It's making me quite nauseous, too; just like last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    What continually fascinates me about Sécrétions Magnifiques is how it manages to smell at once profoundly unpleasant and banal.
    Secretions Magnifique is a Barbie doll that sweats.

It is true though, that SM is disappointing in how it isn't really boldly interesting the way some hyper-animalic fragrances can be. Even pure civet tincture - probably the foulest thing I've encountered in perfumery - is more interesting to smell. This is just foul.

Alright, that does it. I'll have to try this. I have a morning off tomorrow and am prepared to stink the town up. If you never hear from me again, you'll know I went down fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I do give it to ELDO - they've got balls for releasing an unwearable fragrance for the point of an artistic statement.
    Weren't they one-upped by Victor & Rolf, then? Their first perfume was packaged in a bottle without an opening - it could literally not be smelt. That seems like a cheaper artistic statement: cuts out the development costs of something vile.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lian
    Haven´t seen any logos but I smelled Putain des Palaces and Rien and I liked them both
    Though I'm not a fan of PdP, I love Rien - and it's some strong stuff. Neither of them have anything on SM! There's a bitter note in SM that also appears in a much, much, much more mild way in the fragrance Vierges et Toreros. It took me weeks after smelling SM to like Vierges again.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: I got my mother to try this. I rather like her description: "It's absolutely disgusting. It's like a watermelon where someone replaced the water with urine - it's urine-melon!"

Thank you Ms Quarry. Glad you like the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Why I love Basenotes: You never know what you're going to read. Members express themselves in fascinating ways. AND you also learn about fragrances (almost forgot to mention that).

Having just read your take on this crazy juice and then clicking on the link to see your mind-blowing art car, well, Liz, you've started my day with a real spark. Boundaries? What boundaries?

P.S.
    No desire to sample SM.

P.P.S
    Loving, magical wishes to all nurses.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Actually, after reading your description, I wonder if anyone actually *tasted* (not smelled) Secretions Magnifique.

Or is this a bit perverse?
    ROTFL. Perverse it is. And very funny!

Talking Re: I took the Secretions Magnifique plunge

Quote Originally Posted by lightgreen22 View Post
    You're a brave woman Lizzy_J,
    I myself am also wondering if I should
    take the plunge on this one, because in 10 days
    I'll be in NYC with access to Henri Bendels
    I highly recommend you try it..but maybe start with just a drop because it IS hard to get off (maybe bring an alcohol wipe!?). It's fun to try something so notorious!

Post Thanks / Like

I found SM to be revolting and I also had to wash immediately or risk vomiting. The only other perfume-related thing that has ever put me on the verge of vomiting was the Colone essence I smelled at the Le Labo boutique. I wonder if SM has Calone in it?

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to sample this one!
    Also, I would be a perfect fragrance to show in a presentation I am giving next week. If no one has accepted lizzie_j's offer, I do.
    Last edited by irish; 27th March 2009 at 05:21 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Well, as promised: I just got back from trying SM. (...yah, even the acronym is banal)
    I must be the only person alive to not be revolted by this. I wisely sprayed on paper first, from which I got airy white flowers. Walked around the store for maybe 30 minutes, cooing at other scents while going back to the SM blotter every so often. It did start smelling decidedly odd, but blood? Semen? Death? ..Not really. Sweaty vanilla with a dash of flower, maybe. It retained that airy quality, so it could very well contain calone, I think.
    Underwhelmed as I was, I asked for a sample. Maybe my nose was already too fatigued to take in the full horror of the concoction. That, or I'm officially the owner of the world's most insensitive nose.
    I'll try on skin sometime soon and report back.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like

I wore it to work once. I find it to be mostly an aquatic floral, with a wet-dog undertone. Interesting stuff...I just wish it wasn't SO strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I have a two month old test strip of it stuck in between the pages of a book and the smell is still going strong!
    They should re-name it Godzilla!
    I also carriied around a test strip for weeks and found it amazingly tenacious.

I mostly get a metallic,bloody note--like old blood. And something fecal, which Etienne de Swardt would more precisely call anal.

I had a long chat with the utterly charming Etienne de Swardt, and Jean-Claude Magret at Etat Libre yesterday. Etienne de Swardt truly belives that SM is sexy if worn for a while. I tried that, some time ago, and found it just....icky.

I do like Charogne, though, despite what the name promises..

I like Rien, quite a bit,too, for me. And Tom of Finland and Eloge du Traitre (but for men, not for me).

He also had me smell a few things in development--very pretty, actually!

I was also sworn to secrecy about something new.......
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 29th March 2009 at 08:14 AM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Post Thanks / Like

Disgusting as it is, every fragrance nut should smell SM at least once.

Personally, I think it doesn't smell like blood, semen, etc., but it certainly suggests those things.

What I get, literally, is a proteinous smell, like raw egg whites, which I find gag-inducing.

And yes, SM is astonishingly powerful and tenacious. Still strong after scrubbing with hot water and harsh detergent.

I applaud ELDO for doing this thing, though I hate the thing itself.

Puke-tastic!
    Last edited by andylama; 27th March 2009 at 04:52 PM.

Oh no, now I need to try this.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Disgusting as it is, every fragrance nut should smell SM at least once.

Personally, I think it doesn't smell like blood, semen, etc., but it certainly suggests those things.

What I get, literally, is a proteinous smell, like raw egg whites, which I find gag-inducing.

And yes, SM is astonishingly powerful and tenacious. Still strong after scrubbing with hot water and harsh detergent.

I applaud ELDO for doing this thing, though I hate the thing itself.

Puke-tastic!

I agree with every single word of this post. It really does have a "protenious" smells and, raw egg whites is a very accurate assocoation.

I also think that every frag-head should try this scent just because it is so much different and on the edge, it is actually masterfully made technically speaking, groundbraking without possibilies of any followers.

A must try, really, but I still wonder if anyone out there actually wears this on any occasion.
    And since the perfumes are meant to be worn after all (aren`t they?) I really cannot see any point of buying a full bottle of this.

Its funny how a fragrance that is basically based on fresh-florals and an aquatic theme is able to smell that off-putting...

Wore it all day from my sample. Didn't notice anyone wrinkling noses or anything like that. Friends said it didn't smell especially nice but when I told them what it was supposed to smell of semen, they just laughed and said it didn't smell at all like it, but when I asked them if it smelled metallic and blood-like at all I got "well, a little bit metallic."
    No semen. No blood. Nothing out of the ordinary to them or me. Just a fragrance that we wouldn't buy.

Don't you just love the way we all smell different things from the exact same fragrance? To some of us SM is a nondescript aquatic floral, and to others it's "puke-tastic!"
    And I agree. It's a 'must smell' for any perfumista/colognisseur!

I received a sample of Secretions Magnifique (thanks Lizzie !!!) and tentatively tried out a swipe of the applicator after I made sure I had a clear run to the bathroom for when the waves of nausea and inevitable scrubbing would occur.

I precariously sniffed the forbidden fragrance and .... was extremely disappointing. I found it to have a floral note and none of the unpleasantness that people talk about.

I asked a close female friend (an OR nurse who deals in blood everyday) and she said it smelled nice. I asked her if it smelled like blood to her and she laughed and laughed. I asked her teenage daughter to smell it , and she said it smelled nice (and believe me they tell me when they don't like the way something smells).

This is the Secretions Magnifique of legend? I find it very hard to believe that this is the fragrance that has people feeling nauseous and is considered by many to be the worst fragrance ever?

There is a light floral scent to it, that although not unpleasant is not something that I would consider wearing regularly. I worked in the ER and in Trauma in hospitals previously, this smells nothing and I do mean NOTHING like blood or sex.

In reading the many reviews it would appear that either many Basenoters have not smelled real blood and sex before or that their preconceived notions, delicate constitutions and creative imaginations get the best of them

If my close friends who dislike or are indifferent to much of my fairly extensive wardrobe like this and I enjoy it as well, it definitely gets a thumbs up
    Last edited by Diverdown; 6th April 2009 at 10:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdown View Post
    There is a light floral scent to it, that although not unpleasant is not something that I would consider wearing regularly. I worked in the ER and in Trauma in hospitals previously, this smells nothing and I do mean NOTHING like blood or sex.

In reading the many reviews it would appear that either many Basenoters have not smelled real blood and sex before or that their preconceived notions, delicate constitutions and creative imaginations get the best of them

If my close friends who dislike or are indifferent to much of my fairly extensive wardrobe like this and I enjoy it as well, it definitely gets a thumbs up
    Thanks Diverdown.
    I really appreciate this review and I'm going to hold off on sampling the imfamous SM until I can arrange a 'blind' testing.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdown View Post
    This is the Secretions Magnifique of legend? I find it very hard to believe that this is the fragrance that has people feeling nauseous and is considered by many to be the worst fragrance ever?

I agree to some extent, Diverdown--Secretions is nothing to be afraid of. I didn't get all the floral you mentioned, and will think about that when I try it again.

I think ELO fragrances are always about the total experience of words, associations and scent, and how they play together to create an overall impression--and I don't mean that in a cynical way, though I do understand the skepticism about their tactics.

The fragrances are not necessarily literal renditions of the scents suggested in the names. So those names that would seem to offer the worst smells often do not (Charogne, for example).

That said, I still find the overall scent of Secretions "icky." I never had a chance to blind test it, but I did encounter the test strip in purse (among others) for weeks, could always ID it immediately, and always wanted to throw it out. I am told it is quite different, and more pleasant on the skin.

I did have three (male) friends smell the test strip without ID-ing it (along with several other more mainstream scents on scent strips) and all three recoiled and called SM "nasty" , "vile", and I forget what else.

I still find it to be a bit fecal (and it is intened to smell "anal"--not quite the same) and to have a metallic note that reminds me of old, dried blood.

I'm not convinced people who smell blood or "sex" are just highly suggestible, or overly influenced by the name.
    People who detect blood are detecting blood as they know it--which is probably not from the ER. Blood can smell different in differnet contexts--and most women (especially) know this well.

Saying it smells like sex is a bit saying like something smells like flowers: rose? frangipani? jasmine? gardenia?
    In any case, I'm sure it smells like someone's scent memory of some kind of sex.

I hope a bunch of us can get blind tester reports!
    It would be fun to discover it smells like a run-of-the mill floral oriental to most unbiased sniffers.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 7th April 2009 at 04:21 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I got a sample of this the other day and found it very strange. I didn't really smell the "bodily fluids" in it, mainly at first a strong hit of albumen/raw egg. I did spray it on my hand and although I had to wash it off because I felt quite nauseous, enough remained for me to experience the dry down, which was quite a thin floral. What I found so strange was that, although it sounds so disgusting in description, I did not really smell any of those grosser ingredients. Yet it really made me feel sick, but I can hardly say why, because apart from the albumen smell, which I have never liked, I can't put my finger on anything that actually smelt that bad. I sprayed some on a piece of fabric about 24 hours ago to see what that went like, and the answer is still that it's a thin eggy floral that to me, has nothing obviously offensive, but yet makes me feel distinctly uneasy...
    An interesting experience, but I don't recommend buying a full bottle unless you are trying to lose weight, as certainly I found wearing it an excellent appetite suppressant due to the low grade nausea I felt for much of the afternoon...

I too took the SM plunge.

My girlfriend was over when the samples arrived so of course I had to subject her to it, too. That, my friends, is love. Well, it should be noted, she's becoming a perfumista herself!

Anyhow, I held the vial with extreme trepidation, taking a good thirty seconds to get the top off in a manner that would ensure non got on my skin, and slowly lifted it for us both to sniff. Alas, no dead dogs came screaming out of the vial, no sociopathic serial killers with a tendency for self pleasure, no bloody knives.. nope, just a very beautiful white floral with a shimmering crystalline note behind it. My girlfriend quite liked it, too!

Thinking I was just being fooled by the top notes, I put some on paper, but alas, still nothing too weird. There is a slightly weird texture to it.. kind of unpleasantly thick, and yes, protein/albumen/raw egg like.

I haven't been brave enough to test it on skin yet.. well, mostly just because I've been too excited to try other samples, first. I'm debating putting it on a few hours before bed tonight.. should I?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I am joining the camp of those who have found sampling SM an unpleasant experience. In the beginning it smellt metallic but not exactly as blood. Then some milkyness joined in and the smell became at the same time strangely and invitingly familiar (some ancient, deeply imprinted smell, such as the smell of your mother's body or of her milk's) and repulsive (like an unwanted body too close to you). I resisted the urge to wash it off in the hope that the semen accord will also appear and maybe save the composition, lending it more warmth and a pleasant kind of familiarity. Nope, did not happen.

Overall, an interesting olfactory experience which I don't want to repeat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    I resisted the urge to wash it off in the hope that the semen accord will also appear
    LOL! Things you'll only read on basenotes...
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I found it horrid on the scent strip (blood, vomit, iodine, salt, milk?) and could not bring myself to apply it to skin-- particularly as I was testing other perfumes in NYC and didn't want to risk smelling revolting all day!

So, the controversial thread reappears! I once sprayed this on a strip at Bendel's. I had it in my purse and consulted it from time to time over a couple of days. I thought it was both a fascinating intellectual exercise in punk perfuming and an unwearable horror. Mostly, i thought: If I wanted to smell like the end of a guy's thing, I'd smear a real one on me, thank you. Much cheaper and much more fun.

Retesting it on paper I can clearly smell the wet dog accord now. What happened to that beautiful floral I smelled the first time?

It will go on skin but.. not until my next day off.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

AromiErotici

This "fragrance" is an absolute gag-reflex for me. It's not scary bad...but simply disgusting smelling and cannot imagine anyone ( of their own free will) desiring to smell like this for the better part of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

On me this one was very scary, a smell that reminded me of blood, rotten eggs, dog`s vomit. And the scent refuses to go away if you wash it, even if you scrub alcohol, it doesn`t go completely alway. I woudn`t even give it to my enemies, since they can wear it and chase me to give me a hug full of this nasty thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I found it horrid on the scent strip (blood, vomit, iodine, salt, milk?) and could not bring myself to apply it to skin-- particularly as I was testing other perfumes in NYC and didn't want to risk smelling revolting all day!
    Hi,

I tried SM today on blotter first. Nice scent it is. It reminds me of "early dessert apple variety" or "Yellow Transparent" - sorry didn't find something else in the dictionary. It is in some way rather specific, as this apple lacks fruit acid and as its counterpart it lacks sweet honey too to be really satisfying in my book. Of course there is some "bilge" in SM, but that fits the situations I know the apple from, something foul, windfall?! The "gagreflex" is just that what I feel when biting into a foul spot on an apple, hmm ...

Skarb of H&G has been compared to SM in the directory. I think this is wrong. Skarb of H&G is HELIONAL and not much else, no immortelle. I recently blended a fresher variant of immortelle with helional, from which I know the difference - and similarities - pretty well. Maybe I became very sensitve to that chemical, but, so it is. The SM is by far more elaboarted, no comparison.

Skarb is mostly helional?

I'm going ot have to track some helional down and see if that's true. Skarb smells surprisingly natural to me, and the bottle clearly states it is a 20% concentration. I would think 20% helional would be rather.. strong. Does helional also provide the lovage/celery like notes and saltiness? there's also a brown sugar like note present - is that possibly from the helional as well? All I can find about helional is that it smells ozonic with hints of new mown hay and cyclamen.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Skarb is mostly helional?

I'm going ot have to track some helional down and see if that's true. Skarb smells surprisingly natural to me, and the bottle clearly states it is a 20% concentration. I would think 20% helional would be rather.. strong. Does helional also provide the lovage/celery like notes and saltiness? there's also a brown sugar like note present - is that possibly from the helional as well? All I can find about helional is that it smells ozonic with hints of new mown hay and cyclamen.
    Yeah, one could imagine brown sugar and celery/salt too. I didn't state it is pure helional, but the most prominent note in it is that. Even the stink helional can develop after some time is present ... Of course this is not an efect of "drydown" but olfactory fatigue and boredom with this single molecule. It blends very well with imortelle if the proportions are right, giving some very light and dry airy hey feel. But there is definately no imortelle in Skarb, sorry.

On the other hand SM is quite interesting and a well done composition. I can't get how both are considered comparable quality wise. I will give SM a full wear within the next days. Skarb didn't live up even the critical expectations so far. "Star shaped pyramid", ah ha ... Emporors new clothes would be an other reading for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    On the other hand SM is quite interesting and a well done composition. ... I will give SM a full wear within the next days.
    I did. Longevity is quite limited as is silage. The top note radiates in that it fills a room from blotter, not from skin. It is wearable. I came over the "gag" which came out to be a preoccupation generated by "pubic reviewings" easily found on Youtube. As mentioned earlier in this thread to find the preoccupation working is easy - give it to ordinary people not telling them 'bout the punch line.

The 5* in The Guide are well deserved. SM is a work of a genius as to say. It iterates the French concept of perfumery. Stain a pleasent smell with something odd to keep it interesting: civet in Jicky, tar in Shalimar, leather scents, musks, indole in flowers, the noble rot oud is, and more with food, mind the cheese the French celebrate, oysters and so on. Delicacy. Of course a traditionalist will have his difficulties with SM. That never stould in question, alone from the packaging.

Alas, summer is near to it's end on nothern hemishere. That prevents me from enjoying the grassy dewy fresh qualities of SM in the next time to the fullest. May be I'll take it with me on vacation southwards over christmas. By now I'm more after that warm feel that ELDOs "Like This" (is it meant as a comparison or is the exclamation mark missing, namely is it an imperative?) evokes. But first I'll try to satisfy my desires with vintage Shalimar, though, eager for it's oddities.

big PS: SM is easily washed from skin leaving nearly nothing behind. It is NOT a "scrubber" as many told us and which is known for instance from vetiver, iso E super the like. Again, a trick of the mind as everybody without knowledge of the name teached me.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 16th September 2010 at 08:06 AM.

Are you really saying that people are making up the fact that they can't wash this off the skin? So, you are basically calling everyone liars.. or just delusional? Wow.

Well, it takes a LOT of effort to get this off of my skin. Perhaps you are anosmic to the particular chemical that persists and persists, or perhaps it just fades on your skin. But please, don't call everyone delusional or a liar just because your experience was different.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

The first time I tested this I was basically doing a blind test from an unlabelled vial. I must confess I liked it, to me it was more or less a strangely metallic, woody iris plus *something*. Yes, it was unusual, but somehow very pleasant, and I was intrigued enough to track it down (and possibly even get a larger decant). When I found out what it was and read what it was supposed to smell like (blood, semen and the like) I suddenly started to recognize those smells within the scent and my attitude toward the frag changed completely. All of a sudden it didn't smell as compelling anymore.
    There, the power of marketing.

Are you really saying that people are making up the fact that they can't wash this off the skin? So, you are basically calling everyone liars.. or just delusional? Wow.

Well, it takes a LOT of effort to get this off of my skin. Perhaps you are anosmic to the particular chemical that persists and persists, or perhaps it just fades on your skin. But please, don't call everyone delusional or a liar just because your experience was different.
    First a reminder on the comparison of Secretions Magnifique with H&G Skarb. This time I tested H&G Skarb versus pure Helional (aromachemical, see Perfumers Apprentice) directly, not from memory. You may call me a liar, but the similarities are obvious to me. Skarb starts off with some bergamot alike, but that is lost in a hurry towards a helional soliflor as to say.

On topic of Secretions Magnifique people might connect a specific odor to a certain chemical that once detected won't go away. The less as it is doomed as nauseating. That hasn't to do with lying or being stupid. Human attention varies, and constructing a mental picture from the senses information is a matter of selective weighting and interpreting.

To see how imagination altering conception is an all to common matter of fact look up Darren Brown on Youtube. No offense here! edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vz_YTNLn6w

Today I had a first negative reaction from a younger girl aged 20. She couldn't stand the foul. But what for? She didn't new it from childhood! She couldn't deal with it. I'm an old fart, when a kid ran through the woods, knowing any garden around, especially those who comprised trees with ripe fruit: self service. The faint foul smell of windfall is connected to a situation well known and pleasing due to its meaning. If one has grown up in the city never have been touching a (living) cow or climbing trees, the foul is alarming, and that is it. Jicky's civet does remind me of shit, which in fact it is. The youngster mentioned above has the same feelings about that, same with exaltolide, a synthetic musk as with SM. She likes "Naomi Campell": unambitious, utterly and overt synthetic fruit/amber/fresh to exemplify well adapted grooming rituals.

I admit SM ain't a prim US-American fragrance. It is of genuine French provenience and some kind of old school. Anybody to his taste.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 16th September 2010 at 08:13 PM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Where can I buy this?!
    I so wanna own it now,
    and I bet I'll be one of
    the few who'll like it..!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Where can I buy this?!
    I so wanna own it now,
    and I bet I'll be one of
    the few who'll like it..!
    Did You mind to sample a sample?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Did You mind to sample a sample?
    I don't quite understand what you mean?!

I was thinking about just buying the frag,
    I like to own strange and obscure scents!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    I was thinking about just buying the frag,
    I like to own strange and obscure scents!
    You will smell strange ... and become obscure through greatly diminished social contact.

Post Thanks / Like

Weeell ...

Post Thanks / Like

PS: Knowing the frags you like, Grand Duke, the ELDO I'd recommend you try is Charogne. It's an indolic sweet oriental and hey, it's supposed to smell like corpses, so there's your weird factor.

Secretions, on the other hand, just smells bad.

Wildthingy, you yourself mentioned that you were quite possibly sensitive to the chemical Helional. I think it's unfair to claim that X is mostly Y when you know you are (or may quite likely be) sensitive to Y. I've suffered sensitivities before, too, and they have made certain frags seem unwearable or brought out a specific note in a very pronounced way, but that isn't how it smelled to most.

Anyhow, Helional doesn't have the substantivity for Skarb to be composed only of it. Maybe the top is mostly helional, I don't know, but there is definitely some lovage and myrrh that shows up in the drydown - lovage especially, likely natural, as it does not project much but lasts forever (and the Goodscents Company rates Lovage with > 400 hour substantivity, which is as high as their ratings go, and is also the same rating given to other common basenote materials such as sandalwood, vetiver, etc).

Anyway, it's a bit hypocritical for you to make that claim, given your sensitivity, when you are lambasting others for making the claim that SM has extreme longevity when you are claiming that is only due to their imagination induced sensitivities.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    ... it's supposed to smell like corpses.
    OMG, the necrophiliac's delight!

Wildthingy, you yourself mentioned that you were quite possibly sensitive to the chemical Helional. ... the substantivity for Skarb to be composed only of it. Maybe the top is mostly helional, I don't know, but there is definitely some lovage and myrrh that shows up in the drydown ... Goodscents Company rates Lovage with > 400 hour substantivity ...
    Anyway, it's a bit hypocritical for you to make that claim, given your sensitivity, when you are lambasting others for making the claim that SM has extreme longevity when you are claiming that is only due to their imagination induced sensitivities.
    I understand Your point completely. Skarb came into play because someone compared it to SM which seems to me a quite hilarious attempt. It should comprise a similar milky metallic feel. It hasn't been my objective to bash Skarb. It is rather expensive and one of Your favorites, so I understand Your concernment the more.

My personal expertise with helional is a bit different from anybodys anoyance with SM and the infamous disgusting "note", namely male semen, female blood, queer saliva whatever one might imagine thinking of the downside of sex, hygienic wise.

I have helional at hand right here and now. With SM nobody knows what horrible aromachemical it is, which makes it stink. So anybody dislikeing it will take a resemblence to whatever. In desperation it is easy to believe what the ad copy says. Once a smell has been doomed as to be avoided it will for sure become hard to get rid of it. The mind remaines focused on what is the (not so) great unknown.

Both cases show easily that an olfactory sensation is prone to exterior influences. One of it is association from memory. As I'm a country bumkin the rot in SM doesn't bother me to much. The shallow complexity of Skarb bores me as it is all known from pure helional.

Well, I'm not opposed to you disliking whatever you want to dislike. And I can't say, with any true assurance, that it's not mostly helional, but I do think it is more complex than you credit it for. Many reviews have picked up on a number of its facets.. earthy, salty, celery, meaty, woody, sweet. I can see why many would dislike Skarb - it's not really sexy in any way (except for the impression it gives of freshly dried sweat from the salty woodiness), it's too odd to be a completely casual scent, and yet it's not as refined or elegant as most of the dressy scent out there. It truly fits a weird niche - a fragrance that smells of many natural things (dry hay, dry and fresh sweat, hints of meat/beef stew) that does not comfortably fit into one of the well defined categories of fragrance, the categories that a normal person may look to fill with a modest wardrobe. That is actually its appeal to me, that and its very very natural smell (the fragrance has the shortest ingredients list I've ever seen with no known synthetics listed... just things like limonene, geraniol, etc. that appear in so many natural oils). Now, I know that many synthetics need not be listed on a fragrance label, but still, I've never seen a label without numerous listed. Its natural smell and relatively short longevity (well, it has a short longevity where projection is noticeable.. it lasts much longer with very minimal projection) indicate to my nose that it is surprisingly natural. Its projection pattern (very high at first, quickly tapering off) follows that of my own natural blends, which are also at 20% dilution (the same as Skarb), and that's another factor that leads me to believe that it's highly natural (even if, as you propose, helional makes up for a good portion of its early character). I've read though that helional tends to have a melony top note and.. well, there's definitely NO melon whatsoever in Skarb. One of these days I'm going to order myself some helional just to see what it's all about.

Now, regarding SM, I don't find that the wet dog-like note actually lasts that long, but I do find the sandalwood/iris/musk to persist for a long long time. I actually LIKE that part of SM quite a bit - it's the part that I smelled on my first sniff and found quite beautiful. It's also eerily similar to an accord in the dry down of Amouage Reflection Man. I find in both of those scents that the dry down lasts for a long long time. I don't think that my perception of longevity with SM is tainted by my dislike of it. There are other scents I dislike that don't last half as long. I don't think SM is a horrible scent but I am not sure I can get past the wet dog aroma. If I could somehow sniff around that.. well, I do think the rest of the scent is quite pretty.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I've read though that helional tends to have a melony top note and.. well, there's definitely NO melon whatsoever in Skarb. One of these days I'm going to order myself some helional just to see what it's all about.
    Now, regarding SM, I don't find that the wet dog-like note actually lasts that long, but I do find the sandalwood/iris/musk to persist for a long long time. I actually LIKE that part of SM quite a bit - it's the part that I smelled on my first sniff and found quite beautiful. It's also eerily similar to an accord in the dry down of Amouage Reflection Man. I find in both of those scents that the dry down lasts for a long long time. I don't think that my perception of longevity with SM is tainted by my dislike of it. There are other scents I dislike that don't last half as long. I don't think SM is a horrible scent but I am not sure I can get past the wet dog aroma. If I could somehow sniff around that.. well, I do think the rest of the scent is quite pretty.
    The perception of scent is quite different from person to person. When I went to buy SM at my local dealer he didn't have it in stock. So I bought an ol' 50ml Dzing!, and as a verry nice coincidence a book from the rummage table somewhere else called "Glorious Nauseation" about cultural determination of that feeling regarding bodily secretions.

Looking forward Your helional experience, have fun!